Why do Knick fans have a habit of booing players that the Knicks draft?

knicksin60

Starter
Could anyone explain why these people pay their hard earned money so that they could boo the player that the team that they root for ends up drafting? Are these really spoiled Knick fans that do this? Or are these pretend Knick fans that only want to be seen and heard on TV?

Every year, there are hundrerds, maybe even thousands, of people with Knick apparel on who attend these NBA drafts and who make it their birthright to boo the player that the Knicks draft whether it be Gallo, Jordan Hill or Iman Shumpert.

Did Knick fans also boo Patrick Ewing when he was drafted by the Knicks?

I just think it's naive and frivolous to boo a player you know very little about without giving him the opportunity to display his potential and have an impact for the team that you are a fan of.

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
A friend of mine who is a newb Knick fan asked me why we do this and I really had no answer.

I guess it's out of a lack of information. The people who show up only know a handful of players and so they boo any name they haven't heard repeated 1000x on ESPN... and if he is from overseas...forget it... Gallo got it BAD.

But I do like the back and forth with David Stern.

That was a different era, but the Knicks' fans were thrilled, big cheers, when the Knicks drafted Ewing. It may have been the last time Knicks' fans were that happy with a draft pick though.

Marek

Benchwarmer
Basically, the people there are not very knowledgeable. They show up with one or two favorites, and then one or two guys who they would accept as a fallback option. Odds are that their guy won't get picked, so they boo like the spoiled, uninformed brats that they are.

Real Knick fans are a smart bunch. But a lot of the loud ones are damn fools.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
honestly theres only one player that wouldve gotten cheered had they been drafted by us--jimmer fredette. that simple. mind you he makes no sense to our team, we cant keep talking about improving our defense and keep getting players who play NO defense. shumpert at least proves that we are in fact IMPROVING our defense. that simple.

also i dont consider those fans who boo the pick to be real knicks fans.

Marek

Benchwarmer
honestly theres only one player that wouldve gotten cheered had they been drafted by us--jimmer fredette.

Not%2BSure%2Bif%2Bserious.jpg

Most people have been HIGHLY critical of Jimmer's lack of defense. I don't think even the fools at the draft would have been ignorant to that.
At best, Jimmer would have gotten a mixed reaction.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
loll, i think so. they wanted him and it seemed only him. sure there were a few other guys but really its who the crowd wanted. faried would've drawn mixed reaction as would anyone else. we took a guy not many people knew much about and suddenly he warrants boo's? not fair to em. ill tell you this much i give him no more then 10 games before he becomes a fan favorite at the garden--yea he's that good.

Marek

Benchwarmer
ill tell you this much i give him no more then 10 games before he becomes a fan favorite at the garden--yea he's that good.

I don't want to reach on his potential, calling him a future star or anything like that.

But this is right on the money. He's energetic and makes good defensive plays. That's the type that becomes a fast fan favorite at the Garden. Hell, even Trevor Ariza was a fan favorite his rookie season because of how many times he dove to the floor chasing loose balls.

Deathstroke

Benchwarmer
Because unless you draft the projected top pick then you're going to get booed, it happens like that with all drafts, They booed Manning, Sanchez etc.....What makes you a legend if you prove them wrong

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
I don't want to reach on his potential, calling him a future star or anything like that.

But this is right on the money. He's energetic and makes good defensive plays. That's the type that becomes a fast fan favorite at the Garden. Hell, even Trevor Ariza was a fan favorite his rookie season because of how many times he dove to the floor chasing loose balls.

well im not saying he's a definite star in this league and im not saying he cant be. but one thing is certain he has the tools to become a star at the next level. he just has to work at it and make it happen. drive is what he has and that usually goes a long way at the next level. im excited by the pick and i hated the fact he was booed. when 99% of the people at the draft knew nothing about him. same goes for the site you know as people watched tape and videos they saw what he brings to the court and he infact is more then just a defender.

exactly he'll come in provide sparks whether its a breakway dunk off a steal or a dive on a loose ball, he'll be sure to play hard and im excited glad he's on our side.

TheBigCock

Benchwarmer
I booed, based on the stats, but I didn't know about Shumpert's athleticism so in a day I did a complete 180 on the guy.

STAT1

Starter
The Knicks haven't exactly drafted household names of late. Guys like David Lee, Wilson Chandler, Toney Douglas & Landry Fields, while they all turned out to be good values for where they were picked, were not widely known going into the draft. Add to that fact the Knicks have had some disastrous drafts in the past that have conditioned Knick fans to have a negative reaction to draft picks. Frederic Weiss still lingers in many Knick fans' heads, names like Channing Frye, Mike Sweetney & Jordan Hill who were top 10 picks that didn't last here in NY leave a bad taste in your mouth as well. I think the last universally popular draft pick that the Knicks made since I've been following the team has been Mark Jackson in the '87 Draft.

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star
Could anyone explain why these people pay their hard earned money so that they could boo the player that the team that they root for ends up drafting? Are these really spoiled Knick fans that do this? Or are these pretend Knick fans that only want to be seen and heard on TV?

Every year, there are hundrerds, maybe even thousands, of people with Knick apparel on who attend these NBA drafts and who make it their birthright to boo the player that the Knicks draft whether it be Gallo, Jordan Hill or Iman Shumpert.

I just think it's naive and frivolous to boo a player you know very little about without giving him the opportunity to display his potential and have an impact for the team that you are a fan of.

because we are the smartest fans in the world and the ownership/management never listen to us

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I didn't read everyones post so forgive me if it was already stated but the answer is simple...the draft is held normally in MSG or in NYC area therefore there are Knick fans there to be loud. We don't know if Milwaukee fans are upset at there pick because they are not gathered and there reaction is not broadcast on national TV like Knick fans are each year.

That said, we are also loud opinionated New Yawkers who are known to be vocal. Further, we have been burned many times in the draft so when Knick fans who have done their homework see we draft an unexpected pick when their research lead them to conclude we should have drafted player X who is still available you will hear Kick fans boo.