ok we draft a Center and PG/SG.. soooo...Who will be to backup to STAT

moneyg

Starter
we drafted position of need... whether you agree with the picks or not...

so who is going to backup amare at the 4 position???

since we didnt have any real PF all of last year.. just some moonlighter that are really 3's

who can we get as a backup to STAT?????
STAT can not play all those minutes this season

id luv to get BIG BABY.. but he will be out of our price range without us hurting the 2012 cap..

kurt thomas would be good.. he can backup amare and play some center...

chris wilcox.. maybe...

what do you guys think???

im sure we can get some young dude undrafted/dleague...i just dont want a jefferies or a shawne willams backing up STAT

your thoughts

KBlack25

Starter
My best guess right now is that they will run out a rotation of Amare-Turiaf-Williams-Jeffries-Free Agent-Rookie (Jordan or Harrelson)...

Kurt Thomas isn't a bad thought if we're also going to sign someone else to play center (e.g. Kwame Brown, Przybilla, Foster, etc.). At some point, that guy is going to not be able to play basketball though (38 years-old now).

moneyg

Starter
for now KT would just be a stop gap.. id like to add kwame brown or nazr to the frontline as well..but my thoughts is that we need a legit backup to amare .. a defined PF not a hybrid

someone who can score in the paint and take pressure off the other players when STAT is out of the game

Oldtimer

Rotation player
What next?

The current CBA expires next Thursday, June 30th. Thereafter we will have a lock-out until there is a new CBA. Although trades are possible until July 1st, I do not expect anything to happen unitl there is a new CBA.

Shumpert and Harrelson have been drafted, but not signed. Perhaps if they are signed before June 30th the current CBA will control their pay. I doubt they will be signed because any new CBA is unlikely to increase rookie compensation. We want to have as much flexibility as possible as we go into a new CBA and are therefore unlikely to increase current commitments that extend beyond a 2011 season..

Other than Shumpert and Harrelson who will be ours under whatever terms will apply in a new CBA and with the exceptions of Melo, Amare', Douglas and Balkman, we have no one under contract beyond next season.

We do not know what the new CBA will bring and, therefore, what cap space we may have in 2011 or in 2012. Under the current CBA, we are esssentially out of cap space and would have to rely on mid-level exceptions, a combination of veteran minimums and minimum salaries or trades to sign new players.

It makes sense to do nothing, or as little as possible, until we see what kind of room we will have under a new CBA. I expect a lockout that will last a couple of months at least. It will be hard to keep this site humming when all the action is the talk of a bunch of posturing suits...

Last edited: