Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marcus Morris takes shot at Melo'

Morris says he wont take after Carmelo on the defensive end of the court? Probably true. But I highly doubt he comes close to resembling Anthony on the offensive side either. So his defense better be better, 'ya know?

Superstar

Default Melo's Defense

Out of the mouths of babes.

Kobe plays defense; Wade plays defense; LeBron plays defense. Melo, despite his athletic ability, has not matched the defensive intensity of these other stars. i think he is certainly capable of doing it and expect that as a matter of pride, he will do it. He should be embarrassed that a draft pick questions his defense. But does it help because he might burn Morris offensively if he remains satisfied with avoiding the same intensity on defense that he applies offensively?

The same applies to Amare'. Our progress depends on improving defensive play. It may start with the coaching but the players must execute. I recall George Karl commenting that Melo was generally a good on man defender but neglected team defense. I hope the selection of Shumpert signals a real emphasis on defense.

I am happy Morris made is comment. It should be pinned to the inside of Melo's locker.

Originally Posted by Oldtimer
    Out of the mouths of babes.

Kobe plays defense; Wade plays defense; LeBron plays defense. Melo, despite his athletic ability, has not matched the defensive intensity of these other stars. i think he is certainly capable of doing it and expect that as a matter of pride, he will do it. He should be embarrassed that a draft pick questions his defense. But does it help because he might burn Morris offensively if he remains satisfied with avoiding the same intensity on defense that he applies offensively?

The same applies to Amare'. Our progress depends on improving defensive play. It may start with the coaching but the players must execute. I recall George Karl commenting that Melo was generally a good on man defender but neglected team defense. I hope the selection of Shumpert signals a real emphasis on defense.

I am happy Morris made is comment. It should be pinned to the inside of Melo's locker.
    Sometimes all a team needs is for a rookie to come in and challenge the stars. Although I could be stretching what he is capable of... I have faith. Stars are suppose to set the example but it can go both ways.

Originally Posted by kylepicklehead
    Melo takes fire from NBA draft pick

Updated: Jun 27, 2011 09:07 AM
    By Alan Hahn

Marcus Morris, the 14th overall pick by the Houston Rockets, has compared himself to Carmelo Anthony -- already a bit of a stretch -- and when he was introduced to the Houston media after Thursday's NBA Draft, he acknowledged that comparison and then added this:

"But I'm not going to take after him on the defensive side."

Whenever the 2011-12 season begins, circle the first meeting with the Rockets on the calendar. But perhaps instead of just exacting personal revenge, Melo should realize that this isn't an isolated opinion about his game. Players respect Melo's ability to score, but he is lacking a star's respect when it comes to the complete game. If he cares at all about his rep, especially how younger players view him, this has to change.

To his credit, Carmelo did improve his effort, focus and determination on the defensive end when he arrived in New York, but there's a lot more work to be done before he is considered a good defender. It's one thing to get up in someone's face and hound them, but it's another to play good, solid positional defense with a strong understanding of, and committment to, the team concept.

And, of course, it helps to be in great shape.

---------------------------
    Melo is going to rip this guy to shreds when the Rockets come to town.
    you bet....Melo is gonna dunk in his face

Melo plays defense when he wants to, like Amare and both have great potential to play defense but the coaching staff doesnt get on them for not playing good defense so they are inconsistent.

With Tom Thibodeo Melo and Amare are good defenders, with Mike D they are hit or miss

Veteran

Indeed Carmelo and Amar'e have ridiculous length and athleticism so they can play good defense when they actually PLAY DEFENSE.

We need to get a COACH who STRESSES this ****. Look at Amar'e, Amar'e has never had a defense-emphasizing coach in his entire life...

Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    Indeed Carmelo and Amar'e have ridiculous length and athleticism so they can play good defense when they actually PLAY DEFENSE.

We need to get a COACH who STRESSES this ****. Look at Amar'e, Amar'e has never had a defense-emphasizing coach in his entire life...
    he had Terry Porter in Phoenix and that was his worst days as a pro. He was completely lost in slow-paced system. He is only good in up-tempo basketball put him on a team like Lakers or Bulls and he would be useless.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

I don't care.

Melo needs to work on his defense, playing off the ball, shot selection, and shooting accuracy.