KNICKS to bring back Kurt Thomas

mafra

Legend
New York Knicks plan to make effort at reacquiring veteran Kurt Thomas, the NBA's oldest player

Kurt Thomas is the NBA's oldest player and he might just hold the title of slowest and most vertically challenged, too.

Yet, he's precisely what the Knicks need.

According to a team source, the Knicks intend to make a run at reacquiring Thomas this summer, or whenever the expected NBA lockout ends. The veteran power forward is a free agent who spent last season with the Chicago Bulls and has made it clear that he wants to play at least one more season.

Thomas will likely decide between the Knicks and Bulls, although he remains hopeful that his hometown Dallas Mavericks will reach out to him as well.

Thomas attended all three NBA Finals games in Dallas.

"I'm working out and staying in shape," Thomas, a Knick from 1999-2005, said over the telephone. "I definitely want to play again."

Thomas, who will turn 39 in October, has replaced the recently retired
Shaquille O'Neal as the NBA's oldest player. However, unlike Shaq, Thomas has proven that he can stay healthy and be productive.

Thomas appeared in 52 games and made 32 starts last season for a Bulls team that won a league-high 62 games. He was signed as insurance for Joakim Noah and Carlos Boozer and ended up being a vital player for Chicago when the Bulls' starting center and starting power forward, respectively, both missed significant time due to injury.

The 6-9 Thomas appeals to the Knicks because he gives them an experienced low-post defender off the bench. Plus, he's still a good pick-and-pop shooter with decent range. The Knicks also believe Thomas' voice and presence will help their locker room and that he can be a good influence on rookies Jerome Jordan and Josh Harrellson.

Mike D'Antoni, who coached Thomas in Phoenix, tried to recruit Thomas to the Knicks two years ago. Thomas left the Knicks organization on good terms despite having a celebrated falling-out with Stephon Marbury that culminated with the two nearly fighting in the locker room after a game.

Thomas and Marcus Camby are the two remaining active players from the Knicks' 1999 conference title team.

"Everyone knows how I feel about the Knicks," said Thomas, who averaged 4.1 points and 5.8 rebounds in 22.7 minutes per game last season. "I have a lot of friends there. We'll see what happens. It's too early to say right now, especially since there might be a lockout. But I'm keeping myself ready because I want to keep playing."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...eran_kurt_thomas_the_nbas_.html#ixzz1QfhqfqtD

mafra

Legend
I guess this is the plan:

Bring back Kurt Thomas

Bring in Lawrence Frank

Get a starting C (Kwame Brown or Joel Przbilla)

Take a chance on Troy Murphy

Hope Jerome Jordan or Josh Harellson (or maybe D-league guy Vernon Goodridge)

Keep Turiaf (or trade him to Indy for Foster)

Knicks would be ready to go. Amar'e wont have to defend the opponent's C. We have bangers and bruisers and interior defense!

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I like this.. Thomas is my dude. Just a tough, smart, fundamentally sound player. He knows MDA's system, can hit the midrange J.. Love him.. Bring him in.

No surprise he didn't get along with Starfairy. I wish he would've choke-slammed him..

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound

Bring back Kurt Thomas

Bring in Lawrence Frank

Knicks would be ready to go. Amar'e wont have to defend the opponent's C. We have bangers and bruisers and interior defense!

All of this is good news.. Plus we maintain flexibility for the Paul hunt.. Chea.. :peace:

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
I like this.. Thomas is my dude. Just a tough, smart, fundamentally sound player. He knows MDA's system, can hit the midrange J.. Love him.. Bring him in.

No surprise he didn't get along with Starfairy. I wish he would've choke-slammed him..

Hahahaha
This made me laugh. :D

Bring back Kurt Thomas

Bring in Lawrence Frank

We aren't taking a chance on Troy Murphy. Purp will be re signed hopefully. Then we wont need troy.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Kurt Thomas brought an aura of toughness to the Bulls frountcourt last year.

If he goes back to the Knicks, he would just be what they need to bring that toughness back to New York bball.

Plus, he can mentor Harrellson, who possesses the same type of game Thomas has. A rebounding big who brings the pain and feathery touch from mid range.

p0nder

Starter
Man, KT is old but serviceable and would bring back a sense of leadership and veteran toughness that the knicks are lacking right now.

mafra

Legend
Kurt is definitely a piece of the puzzle. Not the only answer, but part of the equation.

Kwame Brown, Joel Pryzbilla, Aaron Gray, Nazr Muhammed and the likes of a C on this tier will be another priority.

I think we should be able to lure one of these guys... I mean, Gray played at PIT, is young, and may feel the lure of the bright lights and the big city; Nazr has been here before; and both Brown & Pryzbilla have made enough money where it is possible to conceive that they might take less money to come join the Knicks, and our dynamic duo, for a chance to win.

A group of R-Turiaf, K-Thomas along with a starter like Brown-Pryzbilla, backed up by a Jerome Jordan or Josh Harrellson... Now that is enough beef to help Amar'e next season.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Crazy⑧s;183468 said:
KT in NY? Love it. One of the more revered low post defenders in modern hoops. He'd be an enormous plus as an educator for our youth and Amar'e in the front court.

"I"

Lemme guess, the "I" symbolizes a shaky pedestal?

hahahahahaha

clumsy

Rotation player
Good move to go ahead and grab i believe the best player from the 90's knicks. Always been very reliable and gritty. I would say a guy that floats around in old age to winning teams is a good sign that he still brings many intangibles to the table.

KingCharles34

All Star
Awesome i dont know why we ever gave this dude up, thats when we became a soft ass p*ssy team

129134283288070665.jpg

The leadership he'll bring will be his biggest asset. We will need some on court coaches (in Billups and Thomas) to make up for D'ant's many short comings.

petescud

Starter
I'd be happy with Kurt or Nazr....or is Turiaf signed on too.... we need more defense, and both those guys are decent defenders