Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 40

Thread: The Official Jorts Thread: What do we know about him?

  1. #16
    Fundamentally Sound ronoranina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,758
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s
    What I have I gotten myself in to, Ron?

    Whether or not it is a good comparison, which it is to a degree, I'm just saying that we've gotta stop with the white man comparisons.

    Gallo, Larry (whose vid mix you posted in the ent thread was awesome) Dirk, Chambers, Laimbeer and so forth have always been thrown in to the same stock pile and it's silly. There's absolutely no denying that it's a constant.
    The thing is... the only reason I'm comparing them is because their respective games and demeanor happen to be similar. They both just happen to be white.

  2. #17
    BALL DON'T LIE MeloforMayor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    1,767
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by ronoranina
    The thing is... the only reason I'm comparing them is because their respective games and demeanor happen to be similar. They both just happen to be white.
    Kurt Thomas can also be comparable to Jorts if we're talking about play style and demeanor. They're both:
    Tough
    capable of hitting the Mid range J
    Rebounding and defense-first players.

    I think that Laimbeer comes to mind first when trying to find a comparable player to Jorts because of skin color.

  3. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    104
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by ronoranina
    I like the Lambeer comparison because they're both around 6'10'', not very athletic and both guys appear to be tough, hard-nosed types. Each of them can also stick that little midrange J.
    Yeah except Harrellson hasn't shown he can shoot a midrange shot AT ALL. Look at the first post. He barely took one a game and hit 28% of them. He doesn't have any sort of jumpshot.

  4. #19
    Fundamentally Sound ronoranina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,758
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by NYKnicks11
    Yeah except Harrellson hasn't shown he can shoot a midrange shot AT ALL. Look at the first post. He barely took one a game and hit 28% of them. He doesn't have any sort of jumpshot.
    You're wrong about this. He has a good stroke (no homo).

  5. #20
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,795
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally Posted by NYKnicks11
    Yeah except Harrellson hasn't shown he can shoot a midrange shot AT ALL. Look at the first post. He barely took one a game and hit 28% of them. He doesn't have any sort of jumpshot.
    He's like a 55% FT shooter as well. Don't know what guys are thinking when they say he can hit the J shooting 28% on his jumpers and 55% from the charity stripe with nobodies hand in his face.

  6. #21
    Fundamentally Sound ronoranina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,758
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by tiger0330
    He's like a 55% FT shooter as well. Don't know what guys are thinking when they say he can hit the J shooting 28% on his jumpers and 55% from the charity stripe with nobodies hand in his face.
    Dude, seriously, you don't know what the F you're talking about...

    From Draft express:

    In order to really enhance his appeal to NBA coaches on the offensive end, Harrellson will likely need to prove that he's capable of knocking down mid-range jump shots, which would keep defenders more honest and make him more of a pick-and-pop threat. He's taken less than one jump shot per game so far this season, and has only connected on 28% of those attempts, but he has a decent release and looks to have the potential to be a serviceable mid-range shooter if he puts in the work.


    Can we let him get up a few more attempts per game before we call him a poor midrange j-shooter?

    Again, I like his stroke. He shoots it easily and his mechanics look as if they can be relied upon consistently. He needs more attempts though, which he'll get in MDA's system. Trust me we wouldn't have drafted him if he couldn't shoot.

    Kenny walker of kentucky.scout.com said this about him:

    Josh Harrellson is a guy that can make an open jump shot, get a couple of putbacks and go out there and get you 10 or 11 rebounds. Thatís who he is.

    Stop for now guys.. Wait til you can see a little more of him and then you'll agree w me.

  7. #22
    Huge Member smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,227
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Originally Posted by ronoranina
    Dude, seriously, you don't know what the F you're talking about...

    From Draft express:

    In order to really enhance his appeal to NBA coaches on the offensive end, Harrellson will likely need to prove that he's capable of knocking down mid-range jump shots, which would keep defenders more honest and make him more of a pick-and-pop threat. He's taken less than one jump shot per game so far this season, and has only connected on 28% of those attempts, but he has a decent release and looks to have the potential to be a serviceable mid-range shooter if he puts in the work.


    Can we let him get up a few more attempts per game before we call him a poor midrange j-shooter?

    Again, I like his stroke. He shoots it easily and his mechanics look as if they can be relied upon consistently. He needs more attempts though, which he'll get in MDA's system. Trust me we wouldn't have drafted him if he couldn't shoot.

    Kenny walker of kentucky.scout.com said this about him:

    Josh Harrellson is a guy that can make an open jump shot, get a couple of putbacks and go out there and get you 10 or 11 rebounds. Thatís who he is.

    Stop for now guys.. Wait til you can see a little more of him and then you'll agree w me.
    The stuff you're linking says he currently IS a poor jump shooter, but might have potential, if he puts in the work.

    Pretty simple if you shoot 28% from midrange you are not a good jump shooter, period.

  8. #23
    Fundamentally Sound ronoranina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,758
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by smokes
    The stuff you're linking says he currently IS a poor jump shooter, but might have potential, if he puts in the work.

    Pretty simple if you shoot 28% from midrange you are not a good jump shooter, period.
    But he had only been taking less than one jump shot per game.. Does anyone else see what I'm saying here? I'd like a larger volume to look at, that's all..

    It's useless to even put that 28% in the report if he's only taking one jumper per.. Ridiculous.

    And where does any of what I linked say he's a poor jump shooter??
    Last edited by ronoranina; Jul 07, 2011 at 22:05.

  9. #24
    Veteran STAT1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,361
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by MeloforMayor
    Kurt Thomas can also be comparable to Jorts if we're talking about play style and demeanor. They're both:
    Tough
    capable of hitting the Mid range J
    Rebounding and defense-first players.

    I think that Laimbeer comes to mind first when trying to find a comparable player to Jorts because of skin color.
    Laimbeer came to my mind because they both play the same position, have about the same body build & are both tough, aggressive style players (from what I've been reading & seeing in limited footage of Jorts). Race didn't factor into my comparison, but somehow it automatically becomes a question of racial profiling because I asked the question. I think that's utterly ridiculous. Kurt Thomas? Let's see why didn't I think of him in this comparison. Maybe it's because he plays a different position & is about 40 lbs lighter than Jorts. Also KT was known as an established scorer before he ever came into the NBA, he led all NCAA Division 1 players in scoring & rebounding the same year. Jorts doesn't have that same kind of reputation. The fact that he's black & Jorts is white doesn't factor into my comparisons, maybe it does for other people. It's always a shaky proposition when one chooses to automatically cast one's own assumptions into someone else's intent.

  10. #25
    Veteran STAT1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,361
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s
    Who the **** is Kevin Dampier?
    Erick Dampier. Sorry was about to say Kevin Willis but he was pretty athletic from what I remember in his early years.

  11. #26
    Huge Member smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,227
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Originally Posted by ronoranina
    But he had only been taking less than one jump shot per game.. Does anyone else see what I'm saying here? I'd like a larger volume to look at, that's all..

    It's useless to even put that 28% in the report if he's only taking one jumper per.. Ridiculous.
    I agree in part but you have to remember this is not a 1 year player. The guy has been 3 years on the Wildcats playing behind/alongside Cousins, Orton, Patterson, Wall, Knight.. etc.

  12. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    104
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by ronoranina
    But he had only been taking less than one jump shot per game.. Does anyone else see what I'm saying here? I'd like a larger volume to look at, that's all..

    It's useless to even put that 28% in the report if he's only taking one jumper per.. Ridiculous.

    And where does any of what I linked say he's a poor jump shooter??
    What? He has a good looking stroke, yet is terrible on FTs and shot 28% on jumpers. The only thing you posted that said he is a good shooter is some blurb from Kentucky's Scout website, which I'm sure is very unbiased.....

    How can you claim he is a good jumpshooter at all RIGHT NOW? You're basically saying "Oh he doesn't shoot enough to prove it and I'm sure if he took 5 a game he would shot he has a great midrange shot!". That's all speculation, based on the facts shown he's not a good shooter.

  13. #28
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,795
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by NYKnicks11
    What? He has a good looking stroke, yet is terrible on FTs and shot 28% on jumpers. The only thing you posted that said he is a good shooter is some blurb from Kentucky's Scout website, which I'm sure is very unbiased.....

    How can you claim he is a good jumpshooter at all RIGHT NOW? You're basically saying "Oh he doesn't shoot enough to prove it and I'm sure if he took 5 a game he would shot he has a great midrange shot!". That's all speculation, based on the facts shown he's not a good shooter.
    Based on the facts known? Jorts took LESS than one jumper per game in 2010-11. That's...maybe 30 jumpers in total, given the length of the College BB season. Are you seriously going to assess a player's jump shot after he's taken THIRTY of them?

    That'd be like saying a baseball player is terrible because he goes hitless in a 3-game homestand, that a quarterback is terrible because he had one game where he got picked 4 times, or that a basketball player is terrible because he wasn't able to score in 2 minutes of playing time. It's called a SMALL SAMPLE SIZE.

    What he's trying to say is that YOU CAN'T REALLY EVALUATE HIS JUMP SHOT AT ALL! Jorts took maybe 30 jumpers on a team where he was probably the 3rd scoring option, in a style of play that has much less scoring overall in the first place, and you're ready to evaluate his jumper? Again, all we know about his jumper right now is that he doesn't use it much (because he's not the primary or even secondary scorer on his team which in college means he's probably getting 5 or 6 shots a game at best, most of those layups near the basket) and that he has decent form on it.

    That's ALL we know. You cannot say his jumper is GOOD (because he hasn't used it enough) or that it is BAD (again, because he hasn't used it enough). All you can say is that there is POTENTIAL for it to be GOOD, but that's basically the highest you can give him.

  14. #29
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,795
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    He actually shot 58.9pct his final year. I'll give him credit, he came up big in his workouts and impressed enough to get drafted. I didn't think him or Matt Howard were going to play in the NBA, too slow and unathletic. I was right about Howard, he's headed to Europe. Jorts is a low risk guy, he's not as good as the Gov but we're not paying him 8M either. If he can give us 10-15 mpg, 5rpg and play solid D he'll be worth it.

  15. #30
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Knicks see him as a Kevin Love type of player. Not a whole lot of mobility, but has a knack for rebounding and put backs. Good team player, not flashy, has a decent outside touch.

Similar Threads

  1. Official Trade Deadline (improve Nyk) Thread
    By mafra in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Jan 31, 2011, 17:00
  2. Official Draft Thread 2010 LIVE
    By KnicksWillRiseAgain in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: Jun 25, 2010, 11:21
  3. Replies: 28
    Last Post: May 12, 2010, 12:50
  4. The Official...Official Thread
    By TR1LL10N in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Feb 18, 2010, 13:51

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •