The Official Jorts Thread: What do we know about him?

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
He's like a 55% FT shooter as well. Don't know what guys are thinking when they say he can hit the J shooting 28% on his jumpers and 55% from the charity stripe with nobodies hand in his face.

Dude, seriously, you don't know what the F you're talking about...

From Draft express:

In order to really enhance his appeal to NBA coaches on the offensive end, Harrellson will likely need to prove that he's capable of knocking down mid-range jump shots, which would keep defenders more honest and make him more of a pick-and-pop threat. He's taken less than one jump shot per game so far this season, and has only connected on 28% of those attempts, but he has a decent release and looks to have the potential to be a serviceable mid-range shooter if he puts in the work.

Can we let him get up a few more attempts per game before we call him a poor midrange j-shooter?

Again, I like his stroke. He shoots it easily and his mechanics look as if they can be relied upon consistently. He needs more attempts though, which he'll get in MDA's system. Trust me we wouldn't have drafted him if he couldn't shoot.

Kenny walker of kentucky.scout.com said this about him:

Josh Harrellson is a guy that can make an open jump shot, get a couple of putbacks and go out there and get you 10 or 11 rebounds. That?s who he is.

Stop for now guys.. Wait til you can see a little more of him and then you'll agree w me.

smokes

Huge Member
Dude, seriously, you don't know what the F you're talking about...

From Draft express:

In order to really enhance his appeal to NBA coaches on the offensive end, Harrellson will likely need to prove that he's capable of knocking down mid-range jump shots, which would keep defenders more honest and make him more of a pick-and-pop threat. He's taken less than one jump shot per game so far this season, and has only connected on 28% of those attempts, but he has a decent release and looks to have the potential to be a serviceable mid-range shooter if he puts in the work.

Can we let him get up a few more attempts per game before we call him a poor midrange j-shooter?

Again, I like his stroke. He shoots it easily and his mechanics look as if they can be relied upon consistently. He needs more attempts though, which he'll get in MDA's system. Trust me we wouldn't have drafted him if he couldn't shoot.

Kenny walker of kentucky.scout.com said this about him:

Josh Harrellson is a guy that can make an open jump shot, get a couple of putbacks and go out there and get you 10 or 11 rebounds. That?s who he is.

Stop for now guys.. Wait til you can see a little more of him and then you'll agree w me.

The stuff you're linking says he currently IS a poor jump shooter, but might have potential, if he puts in the work.

Pretty simple if you shoot 28% from midrange you are not a good jump shooter, period.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
The stuff you're linking says he currently IS a poor jump shooter, but might have potential, if he puts in the work.

Pretty simple if you shoot 28% from midrange you are not a good jump shooter, period.

But he had only been taking less than one jump shot per game.. Does anyone else see what I'm saying here? I'd like a larger volume to look at, that's all..

It's useless to even put that 28% in the report if he's only taking one jumper per.. Ridiculous.

And where does any of what I linked say he's a poor jump shooter??

Last edited:

STAT1

Starter
Kurt Thomas can also be comparable to Jorts if we're talking about play style and demeanor. They're both:
Tough
capable of hitting the Mid range J
Rebounding and defense-first players.

I think that Laimbeer comes to mind first when trying to find a comparable player to Jorts because of skin color. :2cents:

Laimbeer came to my mind because they both play the same position, have about the same body build & are both tough, aggressive style players (from what I've been reading & seeing in limited footage of Jorts). Race didn't factor into my comparison, but somehow it automatically becomes a question of racial profiling because I asked the question. I think that's utterly ridiculous. Kurt Thomas? Let's see why didn't I think of him in this comparison. Maybe it's because he plays a different position & is about 40 lbs lighter than Jorts. Also KT was known as an established scorer before he ever came into the NBA, he led all NCAA Division 1 players in scoring & rebounding the same year. Jorts doesn't have that same kind of reputation. The fact that he's black & Jorts is white doesn't factor into my comparisons, maybe it does for other people. It's always a shaky proposition when one chooses to automatically cast one's own assumptions into someone else's intent.

STAT1

Starter
Crazy⑧s;183981 said:
Who the **** is Kevin Dampier? :lol:

Erick Dampier. Sorry was about to say Kevin Willis but he was pretty athletic from what I remember in his early years.

smokes

Huge Member
But he had only been taking less than one jump shot per game.. Does anyone else see what I'm saying here? I'd like a larger volume to look at, that's all..

It's useless to even put that 28% in the report if he's only taking one jumper per.. Ridiculous.

I agree in part but you have to remember this is not a 1 year player. The guy has been 3 years on the Wildcats playing behind/alongside Cousins, Orton, Patterson, Wall, Knight.. etc.

NYKnicks11

Benchwarmer

And where does any of what I linked say he's a poor jump shooter??

What? He has a good looking stroke, yet is terrible on FTs and shot 28% on jumpers. The only thing you posted that said he is a good shooter is some blurb from Kentucky's Scout website, which I'm sure is very unbiased.....

How can you claim he is a good jumpshooter at all RIGHT NOW? You're basically saying "Oh he doesn't shoot enough to prove it and I'm sure if he took 5 a game he would shot he has a great midrange shot!". That's all speculation, based on the facts shown he's not a good shooter.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
What? He has a good looking stroke, yet is terrible on FTs and shot 28% on jumpers. The only thing you posted that said he is a good shooter is some blurb from Kentucky's Scout website, which I'm sure is very unbiased.....

How can you claim he is a good jumpshooter at all RIGHT NOW? You're basically saying "Oh he doesn't shoot enough to prove it and I'm sure if he took 5 a game he would shot he has a great midrange shot!". That's all speculation, based on the facts shown he's not a good shooter.

Based on the facts known? Jorts took LESS than one jumper per game in 2010-11. That's...maybe 30 jumpers in total, given the length of the College BB season. Are you seriously going to assess a player's jump shot after he's taken THIRTY of them?

That'd be like saying a baseball player is terrible because he goes hitless in a 3-game homestand, that a quarterback is terrible because he had one game where he got picked 4 times, or that a basketball player is terrible because he wasn't able to score in 2 minutes of playing time. It's called a SMALL SAMPLE SIZE.

What he's trying to say is that YOU CAN'T REALLY EVALUATE HIS JUMP SHOT AT ALL! Jorts took maybe 30 jumpers on a team where he was probably the 3rd scoring option, in a style of play that has much less scoring overall in the first place, and you're ready to evaluate his jumper? Again, all we know about his jumper right now is that he doesn't use it much (because he's not the primary or even secondary scorer on his team which in college means he's probably getting 5 or 6 shots a game at best, most of those layups near the basket) and that he has decent form on it.

That's ALL we know. You cannot say his jumper is GOOD (because he hasn't used it enough) or that it is BAD (again, because he hasn't used it enough). All you can say is that there is POTENTIAL for it to be GOOD, but that's basically the highest you can give him.

tiger0330

Legend
He actually shot 58.9pct his final year. I'll give him credit, he came up big in his workouts and impressed enough to get drafted. I didn't think him or Matt Howard were going to play in the NBA, too slow and unathletic. I was right about Howard, he's headed to Europe. Jorts is a low risk guy, he's not as good as the Gov but we're not paying him 8M either. If he can give us 10-15 mpg, 5rpg and play solid D he'll be worth it.

jwmann2

Rookie
Knicks see him as a Kevin Love type of player. Not a whole lot of mobility, but has a knack for rebounding and put backs. Good team player, not flashy, has a decent outside touch.

STAT1

Starter
Knicks see him as a Kevin Love type of player. Not a whole lot of mobility, but has a knack for rebounding and put backs. Good team player, not flashy, has a decent outside touch.

How dare the Knicks compare him to another white player! [/sarcasm]

friedduck

Rookie

DAMN foos runnin round here like gazelles in heat.

Pitiful comparison.

Love runs floor extremely well and is an elite 3pt shooter. Elite. Historically great last years.

Best (realistic) case we got enforcer and quality backup 5 who cheers hard off the bench.

STAT1

Starter
best comparison.....Chris Dudley

& I'd be fine with that. Already brought up the Dudley idea in another thread but apparently since white players shouldn't be compared to white players, I think maybe a better comparison would be Jason Collins. :crossfingers:

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE

I dunno about him as a Kevin Love type player...

Were you smoking 50 blunts during the making of this post? :smokin:

tiger0330

Legend
When describing Jorts always precede any comparison with "POOR MAN''S" and you'll be safe.

Even D'Antoni said he is no sure thing and he has a more informed view than any of us so we wait to see if we have Bill Lambeer or Frederic Weis.

moneyg

Starter
When describing Jorts always precede any comparison with "POOR MAN''S" and you'll be safe.

Even D'Antoni said he is no sure thing and he has a more informed view than any of us so we wait to see if we have Bill Lambeer or Frederic Weis.

fredric weiss wasnt tough or else he would of put vince on his a$$....jorts is..

i dont expect much from him.. id be happy if he was a good locker room presense....and mixed it up in practice

@stat1 unfortunately there are more white players that he can be compared to than black players... just the facts....

STAT1

Starter
fredric weiss wasnt tough or else he would of put vince on his a$$....jorts is..

i dont expect much from him.. id be happy if he was a good locker room presense....and mixed it up in practice

@stat1 unfortunately there are more white players that he can be compared to than black players... just the facts....

All l'm looking for is a guy who won't be afraid to mix it up downlow when he's on the floor, box guys out, play some defense in the paint, & most importantly will watch STAT & Melo's backs when other players try & get too physical with either of them. From what I've been seeing & reading about him, I think Jorts can be that guy. Anything else we get from him in terms of offensive skills in the post or midrange shooting ability is just gravy as far as I'm concerned.

STAT1

Starter

The way MDA plays favorites I'm not putting much weight into what he says about any player in particular. Players that couldn't see the light of day in his system have proven they have the talent to be productive on other teams. But I agree it is a wait & see with Jorts. Hopefully he's more Laimbeer than he is Weiss, but I'd be happy if he were Jason Collins or Etan Thomas (trying to keep this PC now).