We have a chance to sign Nene

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Denver Nuggets' Nene to opt out of contract, become an unrestricted free agent By Chris Dempsey The Denver Post

POSTED: 06/29/2011 08:37:53 PM MDT

UPDATED: 06/30/2011 12:02:42 AM MDT

Now the real work begins for the Nuggets in trying to retain their starting center.

Nene will opt out of the final year of his contract worth nearly $12 million and, as a result, become an unrestricted free agent, a source familiar with the situation said Wednesday night.

It means Nene can sign with any team he wishes without the Nuggets getting a chance to match the offer when free agency begins after the expected NBA lockout, which likely will start Friday.

Nene had until today to make a final decision.

:gony:

p0nder

Starter
While I think we should give him a call, I don't think we'll get very far in the process. He's opting out of 12 million this year, so I would imagine he'll want more money on a multi-year deal. Something the knicks can't do if they want to get CP3...

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
While I think we should give him a call, I don't think we'll get very far in the process. He's opting out of 12 million this year, so I would imagine he'll want more money on a multi-year deal. Something the knicks can't do if they want to get CP3...

Yeah. Sadly, I think you're right.

Plus, he was upset about not getting enough touches before Melo was traded to the knickerbockers. But, there's still a chance. We never know.

mafra

Legend
He's opting out and he wont play for Brazil this summer... All this tells me he's is looking to CASH IN. Knicks do not have the money to sign him to a multi-year deal, let alone anything close to a max contract.

Sure, if they could dump Billups they would have the money... But who would absorb that contract w/out sending another one back our way?

Nene would be great... but he aint coming here. I would worry about the Nets spending big to lure him... or a possible Gasol-Nene swap makes sense as well.

New New York

Quiet Storm
He's opting out and he wont play for Brazil this summer... All this tells me he's is looking to CASH IN. Knicks do not have the money to sign him to a multi-year deal, let alone anything close to a max contract.

Sure, if they could dump Billups they would have the money... But who would absorb that contract w/out sending another one back our way?

Nene would be great... but he aint coming here. I would worry about the Nets spending big to lure him... or a possible Gasol-Nene swap makes sense as well.

Great points about the Knicks just simply not having the resources to nab him

I highly doubt NJ makes a run at him though....they want another star to play along with Deron Williams and I don't think they hold Nene in that same light.

Plus they have Kris Humphries to try to re-sign, who I think they would consider letting walk to not jepordize thier chances at nabbing a big name player (read Dwight Howard)

NYallDay

Benchwarmer
how does a gasol - nene swap make sense?

mafra

Legend
how does a gasol - nene swap make sense?

A sign and trade... I meant Bynum though. But LAL is putting Gasol on the block. Just that LAL has the ability to make a run at Nene, if they want. I'm sure LA would appeal to him as well.

Nene is tougher and more defensively-inclined than Gasol....

platnumn

Benchwarmer
What's wrong with offering Nene 8-10mil as our D12 replacement (there is no replacement obviously), and then just going for more role players?

Unless you value a pure PG in favor of a HIGHLY skilled Big.

I feel like this is what people are constantly debating here, whether a PG or C is what the team needs. Which position do we pay more for?

mafra

Legend
What's wrong with offering Nene 8-10mil as our D12 replacement (there is no replacement obviously), and then just going for more role players?

Unless you value a pure PG in favor of a HIGHLY skilled Big.

I feel like this is what people are constantly debating here, whether a PG or C is what the team needs. Which position do we pay more for?

NYK over the cap already... We don;t have 8-10 million to offer.

NYallDay

Benchwarmer
ok nene for bynum makes sense. i would never trade pao for any big man that plays close to the basket.

A sign and trade... I meant Bynum though. But LAL is putting Gasol on the block. Just that LAL has the ability to make a run at Nene, if they want. I'm sure LA would appeal to him as well.

Nene is tougher and more defensively-inclined than Gasol....

NYKnicks15

Starter
I might get shot for saying this but I actually prefer to get a Tyson Chandler or decent center instead of going for CP3 or D12. I think all we need is a PG who can defend and make good choices on the pass. A clock manager if you will.

With that being said I dont see a way we could get Nene. Nor do I think we should find a way. Athleticism and size would be a nice addition but I'm not really looking for a big who wants the ball in his hand... UNLESS he's swatting it into the second row.

STAT1

Starter
So he's opting out of a $12 million dollar contract so he can sign with us for the MLE? Yeah, don't think that's happening anytime soon guys.

STAT1

Starter
What MLE? :lol:

Lol, good point. We'll be lucky to even have a season at this rate. Players shoulda just accepted the owner's last offer of $65M flex cap. Now they're taking that offer off the table & pushing for a $45M hard cap & a 33% reduction in player salaries. This is not gonna be pretty.

iJoe

Rotation player
Basic rule for any bigman we get?

Must be a heavy duty rebounder which Nene is not. We need a big willing to do the dirty work and save Amare from having to destroy his body guarding centers. Ability to hit open midrange jumpers would definitely be a plus to open up the court.