Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chauncy: "Knicks need more team, not more stars!"

Originally Posted by TR1LL10N
    They are also not complimentary to one another like a combo of Melo, STAT and either D12 or CP3. That 3 is better than Miami IMO. I understand what you are saying but defensive role players can always be found, what can't always be found is a superstar like D12 or CP3. (D12 is a monster defender and CP3 is decent) D12 would instantly give us the best front court in the NBA (probably of all time) or CP3 would just make Melo and STAT monsters while also breaking down the D and scoring himself. How anyone could advocate passing up one these players over filling out our squad with role players that can be found AFTER is beyond me. It's not like these players are in the twilight of their careers leaving us with a short window to build around them. They are all in their prime and even if it took 3 years to round out the roster we would still have plenty of prime years for our "big 3" along with a complete squad.
    I think Amar'e becomes 30 by next year. 31 by 2012 when we have a chance to sign CP3. Melo wil be 28 or 29. Almost the same ages when the Big 3 of Boston got together.

Hmmmmm. But I agree with you that a combination of CP3/D12 +STAT n' Melo does complement each other beter compared to Miami's current Big 3. But if CP3 decides to come here, he'll have to take a huge paycut as Amar'e and Melo's salaries are as high as Wiz Khalifa.

Originally Posted by MeloforMayor
    I think Amar'e becomes 30 by next year. 31 by 2012 when we have a chance to sign CP3. Melo wil be 28 or 29. Almost the same ages when the Big 3 of Boston got together.

Hmmmmm. But I agree with you that a combination of CP3/D12 +STAT n' Melo does complement each other beter compared to Miami's current Big 3. But if CP3 decides to come here, he'll have to take a huge paycut as Amar'e and Melo's salaries are as high as Wiz Khalifa.

CP3 will be available at the trade deadline this season and possibly D12 as well. Amare will be 29 in November and Melo just turned 27. They are certainly in the early stages of their prime years with many (injuries aside) years to come. Getting a CP3 or D12 in February or next summer affords them years of prime to play together and years to acquire role players. Again, role players are easy to acquire but superstars are not. Further, role players will flock to the Mecca to play with a core like that.

P.S. KG and Allen were 31 when they arrived so Amare, Melo, CP3/D12 will all be younger. That said, they did win a ring and have been dominate for years. I'll take that considering we have not won since the early 70's of have been dreadful for the last 10 years.

CP3 will be available at the trade deadline this season and possibly D12 as well. Amare will be 29 in November and Melo just turned 27. They are certainly in the early stages of their prime years with many (injuries aside) years to come. Getting a CP3 or D12 in February or next summer affords them years of prime to play together and years to acquire role players. Again, role players are easy to acquire but superstars are not. Further, role players will flock to the Mecca to play with a core like that.
    Let's assume that CP3 or D12 is available by the trade deadline. Who are we going to give up to get either one. Chauncey+Douglas/Fields for arguably the best point guard right now/ Reigning 3-time defensive player of the year, Best Center in the game today? I don't see New Orleans ir Orlando biting on that. Not right now. Sorry

P.S. Boston had an obnoxious first 5 in Rondo, Ray, Pierce, KG, Perk.
    Last edited by MeloforMayor; Jul 01, 2011 at 11:37.

Let's assume that CP3 or D12 is available by the trade deadline. Who are we going to give up to get either one. Chauncey+Douglas/Fields for arguably the best point guard right now/ Reigning 3-time defensive player of the year, Best Center in the game today? I don't see New Orleans ir Orlando biting on that. Not right now. Sorry
    Well thats a whole other debate...the ability to actually acquire these players is very different that not wanting them over role players. We should be able to sign CP3 outright in FA next summer as long as the new CBA doesn't eff us. Most likely we trade with NO this year and aquire CP3 and take on Okafors big contract. I for one think Okafor would compliment Amare upfront nicely and fills a need so I don't mind that at all.

P.S. I think CP3 is much more likely than D12.

Well thats a whole other debate...the ability to actually acquire these players is very different that not wanting them over role players. We should be able to sign CP3 outright in FA next summer as long as the new CBA doesn't eff us. Most likely we trade with NO this year and aquire CP3 and take on Okafors big contract. I for one think Okafor would compliment Amare upfront nicely and fills a need so I don't mind that at all.

P.S. I think CP3 is much more likely than D12.
    lol
    My bad. That is a topic for another day.
    Adding CP3 and Okafor to Stat n' Melo would be crazy.
    Amar'e plus Okafor would rape young adolescent boys all day, everyday( no homo)

P.S. No Homo

Chris Paul was the main one pushing for the big 3. He toasted to it at Melo's wedding. The likelyhood of attaining him will rely on our ability to wait for next years free agency. D12 is NOT happening! he stated he doesnt want to follow anybodys path and he doesnt like the cold, two indicators of not wanting to go to NY, plus he just doesnt look like he has that New York mentality. But this thread is about stars v.s team/role players. Although you wont see me complain if we get CP3, role players are essential. When your stars or on the bench or injured going into the post season and you still dont have a big man and are getting raped in the paint or on the wing( no homo) which happened all year you're going to be asking why the hell is bill walker on the floor?

Veteran

Nyk Logo

P.S. Boston had an obnoxious first 5 in Rondo, Ray, Pierce, KG, Perk.

I think everybody is missing the point. we cant get cp3 or d12 for peanuts.. if we can get good players with reasonable contract, we can include in a trade for cp3/d12 or trade with another team to aquire assets that will help in a trade, like draft picks... we wont be able to get either guy in a trade unless we add a quality player or two with decent contracts

Do we really just wanna waste an opportunity like this to only win one title? If we just wait for CP3 to fall into our hands, which isn't guaranteed obviously then we just wasted two seasons on nothing (barring that they get a deal done in time). I agree with chauncy. I really believe we need to stop waiting for some star to fall to us and start going after guys who will become key pieces to the team. Dallas had one star. One scorer. And his name was dirk. We have two. If we add key pieces and forget this whole 3-star thing i think we'd be in position to win a title as soon as possible. Besides, look at miami. 3 stars with nothing else. A bunch of old guys who arent as good as they used to be. They count on a bunch of vets and 3 stars to win? We've already seen teams win. Amare is better than Bosh and Carmelo is equal/better than Lebron. We can use a mix of both blueprints, i think it could work. A big 2 is perfectly great if we have the right guys around them.

Veteran

...Here's the deal with building a team like Dallas:

Good roleplayers are HARD TO FIND. Do you HONESTLY think that we can assemble a supporting cast like the one Dirk had by the end of next year? You DO realize how heavily coveted big men and good role players are, right?

Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    ...Here's the deal with building a team like Dallas:

Good roleplayers are HARD TO FIND. Do you HONESTLY think that we can assemble a supporting cast like the one Dirk had by the end of next year? You DO realize how heavily coveted big men and good role players are, right?

It took years and years so yes GOOD or the RIGHT role players are not in abundance but they are easier to acquire than superstars. Further, CP3 is not just a superstar...he is a young PG who FILLS A NEED. CB is 34+ years old and not our solution long term. If a GM can replace him with CP3 but chooses to get a few role players instead than whoever our GM is he needs to not only be fired but burned on Broadway.

It took years and years so yes GOOD or the RIGHT role players are not in abundance but they are easier to acquire than superstars. Further, CP3 is not just a superstar...he is a young PG who FILLS A NEED. CB is 34+ years old and not our solution long term. If a GM can replace him with CP3 but chooses to get a few role players instead than whoever our GM is he needs to not only be fired but burned on Broadway.
    And what if CP3 decides he doesn't want to be a knick? we just got screwed on both ends. We dont need that many role players because we already have 2 superstars. Unlike dallas, who had one. so they needed to have the perfect combination of many people to surround dirk whereas we only need a couple of pieces and we're good. Its not like CP3 or D12 is our only solution.

Besides, i know it took dallas a long time. How long would you say we've been a rebuilding team? This is arguably the best position we've been in since 2000.

Originally Posted by Nyknicks141
    And what if CP3 decides he doesn't want to be a knick? we just got screwed on both ends. We dont need that many role players because we already have 2 superstars. Unlike dallas, who had one. so they needed to have the perfect combination of many people to surround dirk whereas we only need a couple of pieces and we're good. Its not like CP3 or D12 is our only solution.

Besides, i know it took dallas a long time. How long would you say we've been a rebuilding team? This is arguably the best position we've been in since 2000.
    +1.

Originally Posted by Nyknicks141

We are not getting a superstar for superstars sake...we are filling a need with the best player possible. How you can argue against that is beyond me. I could give an eff what CB wants or does not want since if the plan goes right will be traded this year at the deadline as a salary dump for NO. Our franchise would make a grave mistake catering to an overrated 34+ year old PG who has lost more than a step since his prime.

P.S. We will continue to rebuild until we have a complete roster. Step one is acquire the best players available to fill out our core. Step two is to find role players to compliment that core.

CP3 is not the only prize waiting in 2012. There are other players that will be better than Chauncey that summer available in free agency, Deron, Dwight, Nash & potentially Bynum are among them. Chauncey will be plan E, F or G & everyone knows it.

Veteran

Angry This thread went the oposite of the topic

This thread went off the Topic to the oposite of
    this topic......

There was a strong reason to why Chauncy Billups made a comment
    such as the Knicks need a "TEAM" rather than another star player.

A "TEAM" consist of two players for each position, and that also
    includes the headcoach and assistant-headcoach (The Knicks has
    failed in this department for a decade). Adding two high-scoring
    super-stars to the Knicks roster is far from building a "TEAM".

The "Posters" in this thread jumped over the 2011 offseason/regular
    season by cancel it out of the equation to jump to the available star
    FA in the 2012 offseason. That have to be a great big leap from a sick
    elderly incompetent president to enforce the thinking on so many Knicks-Fans.....
    "forget today what u can do tommorow"......the thought of
    two super-star FA joining forces in the 2012 offseason has never crossed
    these Knicks Posters mind.... CP3 or Deron Williams joining forces with
    Dwight Howard.

The clarity of Billups statement is to strong to over-look, the Knicks
    have three Generals and no soldiers to give orders to.
    Amare & Melo are condition to perform 38 strong minutes on the
    offensive-end of the court.
    When D.Wade/ Lebron/ Bosh/ D.Howard/and CP3 are condition to
    give 35 mpg of hardcore offense/defense on both ends of the court.
    Helluva big difference.

Only a fool would compare or believe Amare & Melo are equal to an
    all-around high athletic Super-Stars Bosh & Lebron on offense/defense....
    and when u add the unbelievable complimentary performance of D.Wade
    into the picture the Miami Heat BIG-3 are a Tripple-Championship Team.
    The Miami Heat BIG-3 earned an "A+" grade in their first season.
    Lebron James comment after the FINALS were bold to clarify....
    this is a BUSSINESS!!!!
    Hint: Look at the past 5 years on how much Lebron & D.Wade average
    yearly off of endorsements compared to this season of HATRED.

The super-star tandem of "D.Howard & CP3" on the same team are a power
    to be reckon with, both super-stars are outstanding on offense and defense.
    They are much better than the tandem of Amare & Melo, b/c the two will
    provide "STOPS" and twice the amount of fastbreak baskets in their performance.