Rip Hamilton

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
What's the latest news about Rip? Sources say that the Pistons wouldnlike to unload him due to the gigantic contract. If he becomes available, I think the Knicks should take a look at him to provide outside shooting for the starting unit.

I can see him in the Ray Allen role, being the lights out shooter who can become very dangerous if opposing teams decide to double one of his teammates. Although Rip isn't as good of a shooter Ray is, he has definitely proven that he can hit open shots, especially off picks. With Amar'e and Melo getting most of the attention on offense, Rip can really fluorishwith our team.

Your thoughts? :)

STAT1

Starter
No way in hell will Rip Hamilton ever be a Knick. First of all he's already guaranteed to make $12.6M this year & next, so that nixes any chance of the Knicks taking on his contract this summer, & they won't be using up all that cap space to acquire a guy like that when there will be much, much better options available next summer in free agency.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
No way in hell will Rip Hamilton ever be a Knick. First of all he's already guaranteed to make $12.6M this year & next, so that nixes any chance of the Knicks taking on his contract this summer, & they won't be using up all that cap space to acquire a guy like that when there will be much, much better options available next summer in free agency.

Yeah, but in case his contract is bought out , I think he can be had for 3-5 mil.

la2ny

Starter
I actually suggested him after the Melo trade because it was damn near a done deal that he was going to CLE. an they were going to buy him out. But, if he is bought out now, him and Sammy D with Kurt Thomas would be like my dream scenario. We'd have to be in the discussion for making a trip to The Finals next year a reality. Of course this does have alot of "ifs" like Sam signing for cheap, Rip being bought out, and us signing a defensive assistant coach.

Dream

Dalembert
Stoudemire
Anthony
Hamilton
Billups

Fields
Douglas
Thomas
Sha.Williams
Turiaf
Shumpert
Harrellson

That's a 11-12 man deep roster which would help down the line and on into the playoffs.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I actually suggested him after the Melo trade because it was damn near a done deal that he was going to CLE. an they were going to buy him out. But, if he is bought out now, him and Sammy D with Kurt Thomas would be like my dream scenario. We'd have to be in the discussion for making a trip to The Finals next year a reality. Of course this does have alot of "ifs" like Sam signing for cheap, Rip being bought out, and us signing a defensive assistant coach.

Dream

Dalembert
Stoudemire
Anthony
Hamilton
Billups

Fields
Douglas
Thomas
Sha.Williams
Turiaf
Shumpert
Harrellson

That's a 11-12 man deep roster which would help down the line and on into the playoffs.
I'd love that. I think if we get Dalembert, we'd only be able to spend the vet. minimum (before the summer of 2012).

Dalembert
Kurt Thomas
T-Mac

would also be great. Getting Dalembert PERIOD would be great.

toNYknicks

Benchwarmer
Really RIP? I don't know someone fill me in I probably haven't seen him play since the detroit lakers series... is this guy still relevant can he still ball? I'm not a fan of vets unless they bring some serious intangibles to the table.... but you guys think RIP would be better than Jrich Redd or even Anthony Parker?

smokes

Huge Member
Really RIP? I don't know someone fill me in I probably haven't seen him play since the detroit lakers series... is this guy still relevant can he still ball? I'm not a fan of vets unless they bring some serious intangibles to the table.... but you guys think RIP would be better than Jrich Redd or even Anthony Parker?

Jrich can still ball, I doubt he'll be signing at the MLE level. Michael Redd is a huge question mark with his injury history. Rip Hamilton is clearly better than Anthony Parker who has been putting up role player numbers in starter minutes for the past 5 years.

Sage

Rotation player
If he does get bought out, great! We should be looking to pick up players like this. Worst case scenerio we can start to build up our tradable assets again.

Knicks#7

Rookie
Hey guys, been checking out the post on KO for years now. I have a lot of ideas on what we should do as well, so I will be checking in with my opinions. I have enjoyed some of you guys knowledge on the game. Just want to add for now, DEFENSE,DEFENSE,DEFENSE.

Kiyaman

Legend
Two high scoring super-stars does not make a team

Two high scoring super-stars does not make a team....but Billups & RIP
were the beginning of a Championship Team.

When our sick-elderly incompetent president Donnie Walsh received
Chuancy Billups in the Melo trade.....Walsh next move was to go after
"Rip Hamilton" or a veteran player with simular qualities as Rip to
compliment Billups in our starting backcourt.

Drafting Shumpert with the 17th pick when we have two young
dynamic defensive PG/SG in TD & Fields was outrageously STUPID
(Incompetent).
I have nothing against Shumpert potential being a solid NBA player....but
the Knicks need a starting veteran SG....TD & Fields are great young season
guards with a helluva great talent to add super-energy off the bench.

Our 17th pick shouldve been "Kenneth Faried" strong rebounding presence,
while we sign D.League "Sean Williams" to a cheap one year contract to
have three bigmen protectors in the Paint in Faried, Sean, and injury-prone
Turiaf in the frontcourt to help Amare & Melo.
On draft night we showed 100% incompetence towards building a decent
team around Amare & Melo.
:crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

I loved Hamilton since he played for Uconn and won it with little Amed. He has always struck me as a smart savvy player who can get his own shot and has one of the best mid range J's in the game. He's a low key highly underated player who has the wit to assist any team...especially in the Forth quarter. He has a vetern teammate in Billups that knows what it takes to win titles. Both of these guys can still do some damage... even more so balling with guys like Stat and Melo.

RIP is the type of SG D'ant needs. He might sign on being that we have Billups, 2 all stars and most of all...a shot at the title. Most cats his age look for teams primed to make a serious run (like the old dudes on Boston and Miami for example). I doubt he's looking to go to a weak team and is wise enough not to asked for big bank.

I understand he wants what's due to him, but a buy out and sign still sounds likely. He was one of the guys I mentioned early in the season to be a good fit here.

Knicks#7

Rookie
I like Rip, for the right price and if the coach can use his talents wisely. He would be great bringing some scoring off the bench and for playoff experience. Along with Fields, and using Walker as a Bruce Bowen type of guy as well, we could wear down opposing guards

Last edited:

STAT1

Starter
Yeah, but in case his contract is bought out , I think he can be had for 3-5 mil.

I personally don't see how the Pistons would buy out Rip when he's still owed $25M on his contract. Maybe at the halfway point of the 2012 season I can picture them trying to work out a buyout if both parties want to part ways, but I highly doubt that's gonna happen anytime this summer or during the regular season, & DEFINITELY not when there's a lockout going on.