Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Son.......

Veteran

Then he should be exclusively holding secret private games...getting his team ready or in the least having them organise private meetings or something. Don't just waste a whole year seating around on your duffs doing nothing. That whupping in the playoffs should have left them with a bad taste in their mouths and the whole playoffs in general should have them salivating and foaming like some savage beasts. I see so much potential...I just fear it won't get used wisely.

Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    You're wrong. Any contracts that expire next June, expire next June. A year is lost. Unless both sides come to the agreement that this year "never took place" and everything is pushed back a calendar year.

But as it is right now...Dwight, CP3, and Deron have played their last game for their current teams if the lockout lasts a full season.
    I know for a fact that in hockey, when Alexi Yashin sat out a year his contract tolled and he owed an extra year of service...

Originally Posted by KBlack25
    I know for a fact that in hockey, when Alexi Yashin sat out a year his contract tolled and he owed an extra year of service...
    That's diff. He demanded a new contract and refused to report to the team when he didn't get one. He was suspended/sat out that season because of his refusal to report to the team. That offseason he swears he's a free agent, but since he didn't play the required number of games to accrue a full season, he wasn't eligible for free agency. He was short one season of eligibility. That's the one year you're talking about.

Kind of similar to how Vincent Jackson needed a certain number of games with the Chargers to be an unrestricted free agent this year. That's why he finally reported to the team half way thru the season.

During a lockout, contracts are still running but paychecks aren't being issued. If a calendar year goes by and there's no basketball, the contracts pick up in the next year...if there's a next year to the deal. Unless both sides agree that this loss of a year never happened, and resume contracts after the end of the 2010 season.

If the lockout lasts an entire year, what happens to contracts that expire following the 2011-12 season? Do they expire anyway, or does the contract extend through 2012-13?

Coon: A contract that is scheduled to expire following the 2011-12 season should expire on June 30, 2012, whether or not the season is played. This means it's possible that 2012 free agents -- like Dwight Howard -- may have already played their last game for their current teams. Nervous teams had the opportunity to make a trade by June 30 to avoid the risk of losing these players without compensation. However, no such trade was completed, which may indicate either some faith in their ability to hang on to their potential free agents, or in the league's ability to resolve the labor dispute before the season is lost. It is also possible for the two sides to mutually agree that 2011-12 "didn't happen," so all contracts will simply be pushed back by one year. Therefore this is all subject to negotiation.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    That's diff. He demanded a new contract and refused to report to the team when he didn't get one. He was suspended/sat out that season because of his refusal to report to the team. That offseason he swears he's a free agent, but since he didn't play the required number of games to accrue a full season, he wasn't eligible for free agency. He was short one season of eligibility. That's the one year you're talking about.

Kind of similar to how Vincent Jackson needed a certain number of games with the Chargers to be an unrestricted free agent this year. That's why he finally reported to the team half way thru the season.

During a lockout, contracts are still running but paychecks aren't being issued. If a calendar year goes by and there's no basketball, the contracts pick up in the next year...if there's a next year to the deal. Unless both sides agree that this loss of a year never happened, and resume contracts after the end of the 2010 season.
    Interesting...

This seems pretty unbalanced though. The owners elected to lock the players out, which entitles them not to pay anything...

Also, not sure how this affects MDA's contract - which probably wasn't made in relation to the CBA at all, seeing as only players and not coaches or other personnel (I believe) are covered under the CBA

There is no reason why D'antoni should be brought back but I wouldn't mind if they brought him back for one more year just to fire him if the Knicks don't improve under him.

Originally Posted by KBlack25
    Interesting...

This seems pretty unbalanced though. The owners elected to lock the players out, which entitles them not to pay anything...

Also, not sure how this affects MDA's contract - which probably wasn't made in relation to the CBA at all, seeing as only players and not coaches or other personnel (I believe) are covered under the CBA
    There could be penalties at some point, I dunno. I know when the MTA went on strike in 2005 there were penalties for the union I believe...but I dunno how it works in this case since it's a lockout and not a work stoppage.

But as it is, there's really no damage being done to the players yet. Any money owed from the last CBA is still being paid to those players owed the money. Guys don't actually start losing money until they start losing game checks, and checks aren't issued until November anyway. So the players aren't feeling the lockout in their bank accounts at this point, so theres no incentive on their part to rush into anything.