Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Miss America asked Should Evolution Be Taught in Schools

  1. #1
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Miss America asked Should Evolution Be Taught in Schools




    44% of Americans believe evolution is false and the earth/universe is only 10,000 years old. We are ranked 2nd from the bottom (just above Turkey at 51%) in the western world. Iceland, Denmark, Sweden, France, Britian and Norway rank at the top at only 10%.

  2. #2
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,488
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay



    44% of Americans believe evolution is false and the earth/universe is only 10,000 years old. We are ranked 2nd from the bottom (just above Turkey at 51%) in the western world. Iceland, Denmark, Sweden, France, Britian and Norway rank at the top at only 10%.
    Wow. Some very silly ladies amongst that lot. 10/10 for boobs though.

    44%!? Really? I find that hard to register. I've seen a lot of pretty aggressive campaigning against science/evolution/free thinking on YouTube in the land of the free. I've seen some videos of pretty heavy childhood indoctrination/ flat out brain washing as well.

    It's pretty amazing to hear the mantras these people, creationists in particular, fool themselves with. So many of them seem to be human versions of parrots, who repeat things perfectly well, but have no literal understanding of what they're saying.

    I watched a video of a dude called Ted Haggard, I assume you know of the guy, and it's amazing how immoral some of those that consider themselves destined to ascend really are. A lot of this preaching is an obvious excuse for the usurping of others' money, by targeting those who have an inability to think for themselves.

    I've only really started to gain any real interest in this feud of Science VS Religion very recently. Are there any forums or something of the like that you are part of that you'd recommend for my reading?

    Thanks.

  3. #3
    Veteran AmareForPresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens,NY
    Posts
    1,791
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    I like this one more:


  4. #4
    Veteran STAT1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,361
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay



    44% of Americans believe evolution is false and the earth/universe is only 10,000 years old. We are ranked 2nd from the bottom (just above Turkey at 51%) in the western world. Iceland, Denmark, Sweden, France, Britian and Norway rank at the top at only 10%.
    I think I can actually feel my brain cells dying as I watch this video. Yup, there goes another one...

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,221
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    It shouldn't. Nor should religion.

  6. #6
    Lurker mrveggieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Georgia (USA)
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I don't have a problem with both evolution and creationism being taught as possible theories in public schools without the schools taking sides and letting the students decide.

  7. #7
    Superstar WrongIslander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Posts
    579
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    There's three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't.

  8. #8
    Nein, Mann! Weissenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Rotterdam
    Posts
    3,058
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    I've never thought of evolution as of a theory that shouldn't be taught at schools. I've been taught evolution at public school. We (Europeans) mostly do not consider it as something to believe or not, but more as a scientific fact that isn't meant to form an opposite theory to any religious teaching.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    497
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Originally Posted by mrveggieman
    I don't have a problem with both evolution and creationism being taught as possible theories in public schools without the schools taking sides and letting the students decide.
    Yea and throw in telekinesis, not enough kids understand the dangers of moving **** with your mind.

  10. #10
    Member wian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    370
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Originally Posted by Dzwonsson
    I've never thought of evolution as of a theory that shouldn't be taught at schools. I've been taught evolution at public school. We (Europeans) mostly do not consider it as something to believe or not, but more as a scientific fact that isn't meant to form an opposite theory to any religious teaching.
    and here lies the problem. the insistence that evolution is scientific. It isn't scientific at all. there is no proof for evolution. Its just a theory, Like Creationism. I would go one further to say that Evolution is a religion to those who believe it actually...

  11. #11
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,484
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Whether you believe in Evolution or Creationism, you should atleast see what is going on in schools these days. Mentioning Creationism has instant ridicule and you be laughed at.

    Mentioning intelligent design has led to college professors getting fired everywhere.

    Freedom of speech is dead, especially when it comes to this topic.

    I am not a scientist but I can easily see something wrong here in schools. We are taught in schools that all of this information is 100% true as little children, yet we call ourselves a "Christian nation." We are taught this stuff as children....this is basically indoctrination and people that have religious views against this put their kids through schools that believe in this as 100% fact. No wonder why kids rebel so much and family values are low. Kids are getting pulled by two sides constantly and they are forced to succumb to both or else they can't get a decent job. Yet the matter of creationism is only present in Sunday School, or a Christian College of some sort, however EVERY other university labels evolution as 100% fact and won't even listen to creationism or intelligent design.

    You can have your view, but when you force it on people, especially little kids, then how are you any different from religions that completely indoctrinate people? You should have a choice to accept something or not.


    Our nations is just built on lies and has no transparency. We should at least give students the choice to choose without ridicule and banishment. It is ridiculous.

  12. #12
    Member wian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    370
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Originally Posted by Paul1355
    Whether you believe in Evolution or Creationism, you should atleast see what is going on in schools these days. Mentioning Creationism has instant ridicule and you be laughed at.

    Mentioning intelligent design has led to college professors getting fired everywhere.

    Freedom of speech is dead, especially when it comes to this topic.

    I am not a scientist but I can easily see something wrong here in schools. We are taught in schools that all of this information is 100% true as little children, yet we call ourselves a "Christian nation." We are taught this stuff as children....this is basically indoctrination and people that have religious views against this put their kids through schools that believe in this as 100% fact. No wonder why kids rebel so much and family values are low. Kids are getting pulled by two sides constantly and they are forced to succumb to both or else they can't get a decent job. Yet the matter of creationism is only present in Sunday School, or a Christian College of some sort, however EVERY other university labels evolution as 100% fact and won't even listen to creationism or intelligent design.

    You can have your view, but when you force it on people, especially little kids, then how are you any different from religions that completely indoctrinate people? You should have a choice to accept something or not.


    Our nations is just built on lies and has no transparency. We should at least give students the choice to choose without ridicule and banishment. It is ridiculous.
    Seriously mate, well put, and well said - I agree with you 1000000 % !!!!

    Its not an education, its indoctrination. I am all for evolution to be taught as a "Theory" in school - Believe me.... Its when they teach Evolution as 100 % fact and they mock and ridicule Creationism, that's what pisses me off majorly. I say teach both and let the individual decide.... Stop indoctrinating people ....

    I want to talk about 1 point you made where you said that "We are taught this stuff as children....this is basically indoctrination and people that have religious views against this put their kids through schools that believe in this as 100% fact. No wonder why kids rebel so much and family values are low
    There is serious evidence to suggest that since it has become compulsory to teach Evolution in school books as fact in the USA since the 1960's, there has been a dramatic increase in Crime, Sexual Immorality, Murder, Abortion, and the list goes on and on. I seriously believe that Teaching Evolution to children and ignoring God's word has had a direct correlation as to why these things have increased and to why family values and morals have dropped off dramatically.

    I live in Australia and its getting worse and worse here also. All this stuff points to a "One World Order" if you ask me....
    Last edited by wian; Apr 17, 2012 at 06:13.

  13. #13
    Nein, Mann! Weissenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Rotterdam
    Posts
    3,058
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    @wian: which Christian denomination do you represent?

  14. #14
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by wian
    Seriously mate, well put, and well said - I agree with you 1000000 % !!!!

    Its not an education, its indoctrination. I am all for evolution to be taught as a "Theory" in school - Believe me.... Its when they teach Evolution as 100 % fact and they mock and ridicule Creationism, that's what pisses me off majorly. I say teach both and let the individual decide.... Stop indoctrinating people ....

    I want to talk about 1 point you made where you said that "We are taught this stuff as children....this is basically indoctrination and people that have religious views against this put their kids through schools that believe in this as 100% fact. No wonder why kids rebel so much and family values are low
    There is serious evidence to suggest that since it has become compulsory to teach Evolution in school books as fact in the USA since the 1960's, there has been a dramatic increase in Crime, Sexual Immorality, Murder, Abortion, and the list goes on and on. I seriously believe that Teaching Evolution to children and ignoring God's word has had a direct correlation as to why these things have increased and to why family values and morals have dropped off dramatically.

    I live in Australia and its getting worse and worse here also. All this stuff points to a "One World Order" if you ask me....
    Then why are 90% of prison inmates christian and only 0.21% of inmates are atheist?

    Why are the countries that have the greatest percentage of agnostic/atheists also have the lowest crime (Norway, Sweden, Japan, Finland, Denmark)?

    Why are the most religious countries in the world also the ones with the greatest poverty and highest crime?

    Why are the most christian parts of America also the areas with the highest poverty and highest unwanted pregnancy rates?


    I'll give you the answer. It is education. The more educated a society is, the lower the crime rate, the lower unwanted pregnancies, lower percentage of people incarcerated, lower poverty rates and higher employment rates. Also, as in the countries listed above, when a society is more successful (i.e. educated, employed, healthy and happy), the less of a need to pray to a sky daddy to make life better, and therefore, as a result of higher education and increased quality of life, the belief in religion decreases. There is a direct correlation between religion and unsuccessful societies. And, religion directly hinders the educational process. You are a testament to this fact.

    Religion is indoctrination. The definition of indoctrination is: teaching someone to accept doctrines uncritically.

    You are suppossed to accept religion without question. Not bother to challenge religion with factual information or logic.

    Everything about the scientific method involves applying doubt and being critical. To test theories with data. The entire process is to study something critically, the exact opposite of indoctrination.

    It is people like you, that have no scientific background and believe there is a massive worldwide conspiracy of scientists making stuff up without testing or verification, are the ones indoctrinating your children and blocking their education.

  15. #15
    Member wian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    370
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay

    Why are the countries that have the greatest percentage of agnostic/atheists also have the lowest crime (Norway, Sweden, Japan, Finland, Denmark)?
    Lol ! I can't believe you are drawing that conclusion and putting it down to the fact that these countries have a higher percentage of athiests ! You could also conclude that Nepal has a low crime rate and low murder rates as they are mostly Hindu and Buddhists, which probably make up 99 % of the population mind you. They are very peaceful people. What are you trying to conclude? Atheists are the odd ones out mate. Most of the world is religious if you look at the statistics. You can conclude that you are in the minority as an athiest on the world stage....

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Why are the most religious countries in the world also the ones with the greatest poverty and highest crime?
    What does poverty and crime have to do with religion specifically? I fail to see your point... If a person actually believes in the Bible and wants to become like Christ, why would they turn to crimes? Surely other factors such as topography and the countries position on the Earth ,the ability to cultivate the land and make ends meet, and finally over population in a country would be more of a reason why someone would turn to crime. You are drawing a pretty long bow if you ask me.

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Why are the most christian parts of America also the areas with the highest poverty and highest unwanted pregnancy rates?
    What on earth is your point?


    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    I'll give you the answer. It is education. The more educated a society is, the lower the crime rate, the lower unwanted pregnancies, lower percentage of people incarcerated, lower poverty rates and higher employment rates. Also, as in the countries listed above, when a society is more successful (i.e. educated, employed, healthy and happy), the less of a need to pray to a sky daddy to make life better, and therefore, as a result of higher education and increased quality of life, the belief in religion decreases. There is a direct correlation between religion and unsuccessful societies. And, religion directly hinders the educational process. You are a testament to this fact.
    This is absolute rubbish. I am not going to bother even responding to this ..... You my friend are a humanist who puts more faith in mankind , the created rather than the creator, and hence, thats why you are hell bent on putting your education first as your faith and trust lies with the created, rather than the creator....

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Religion is indoctrination. The definition of indoctrination is: teaching someone to accept doctrines uncritically.
    Which is exactly what evolution is also mate....Indoctrination. Teaching it as fact, rather than a theory... Read the lies in the textbooks which kids are being brainwashed with, that haven't even been removed from the books, even after being proved as false in courts of law or as hoaxes... Indoctrination if you ask me

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    You are suppossed to accept religion without question. Not bother to challenge religion with factual information or logic.
    Religion is faith . Either you believe or you dont which clearly you don't as you are not a person of faith...Your whole argument fall down as there is no proof or logic for evolution either.....

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Everything about the scientific method involves applying doubt and being critical. To test theories with data. The entire process is to study something critically, the exact opposite of indoctrination.
    If the scientific method is about being critical and applying doubt, why is it being taught as a fact then? - Evolution is simply a theory, not fact, so what on earth you going on about? Were you there 20 million years ago to categorically tell me what happened for sure? You have no actual proof. There is no actual data that is 100% correct. Its just a theory mate.....

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    It is people like you, that have no scientific background and believe there is a massive worldwide conspiracy of scientists making stuff up without testing or verification, are the ones indoctrinating your children and blocking their education.
    I would welcome my children hearing Evolution if they were also given the opportunity to hear creation also. Then its a level playing field, not biased as it is now... God Created science, so i believe in science also, believe me. Its people like you that confuse the argument as "Science versus religion" which is not correct. Evolution is a religion believe me as the supposed thing, or superhuman power that created the big bang is in fact your God....

    The definition of Religion is below in the Oxford dictionary..

    "The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods:
    ideas about the relationship between science and religion"

    Now again i ask you, what super human power created the Big Bang and put it into motion? Is that not your religion?
    Last edited by wian; Apr 19, 2012 at 02:37.

Similar Threads

  1. Explaining Evolution And Why GOD is NOT LIKELY
    By KnicksFan4Realz in forum Hangout
    Replies: 296
    Last Post: Jan 23, 2013, 16:16
  2. All things evolution
    By Knicks4lyfe in forum Hangout
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Feb 13, 2011, 21:13
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Feb 23, 2009, 00:52
  4. The Bible - Proof that Christianity is True
    By Paul1355 in forum Hangout
    Replies: 154
    Last Post: Jul 12, 2008, 18:38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •