Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 47

Thread: Kind of Dissapointed we passed up Faried...

  1. #16
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,312
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s
    How much PT would he actually have gotten though? Squat - even if MD wasn't our coach. You're right about D'Ant being a 'tard, but whether or not Faried was the right pick can't be determined until he's played.

    Regardless of who drafted him, Faried is a ?

    First, I dont see the services of Dantoni being here much longer.
    Two, our frontcourt is weak weak weak, and it been that way
    for far to long. Our Guards showed little weakness lastseason.
    Three, I see a (NBA-Ready) Kenneth Faried as a fast athletic
    "Big-Baby" used the sameway coach Doc Rivers have Baby in
    the rotation with SF-Pierce, PF-KG, and C-Perkins.
    Four, do u think Kenneth Faried would get playingtime in Miami?
    Five, the best winning combination of (scorer) PF & SF this decade
    were Lakers "Gasol & Odom" and the Celtics "KG & Pierce" however,
    both teams have a Star-closer as their SG (Ray & Kobe).
    Six, I dont see Iman Shumpert talent above TD or Fields for playintime.
    I guess Iman will be competing with Walker & Rautins for playingtime.

  2. #17
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,312
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Originally Posted by STAT1
    It doesn't take a jump shot to be a successful player in the NBA. Guys like Ben Wallace & Dennis Rodman have carved out terrific NBA careers by just being supreme hustle players with a motor & relentless nose for the ball that not many of their peers had, & neither one of them could hit the side of a backboard if their lives depended on it. I see no reason why a guy like Faried can't follow in their footsteps. Not saying he's 100% gonna have a borderline Hall of Fame career, but who's to say he can't be what those guys were either? You telling me the Knicks couldn't use a high energy rebounder, shotblocker & low post defensive player that can run the break & finish with the best of them? But you're probably right he would likely see very limited minutes playing for a coach so obsessed with players that can knock down a 3 pt shot.

    I'm not trying to knock the Iman Shumpert pick, I don't know nearly enough about him to criticize him at this point. What I do question is why they chose to ignore their obvious need for defensive players in the frontcourt & instead chose to shore up the depth at a position that we weren't all that weak in to begin with. Did we really need to draft another G when we already have Chauncey, Douglas, Landry, Walker & Rautins all under contract for next season? Who is our frontcourt right now? STAT & a gimpy Ronnie Turiaf? At least we bought the rights to Josh Harrellson so I'm optimistic but we are far from deep in our frontcourt. (I'm factoring Melo more as a swing player because he spends a lot of time on the outside in this offense). Don't even factor Jerome Jordan into the equation until we see if he even makes the squad.


  3. #18
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,796
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    I dunno. When the Knicks drafted Shumpert I was wondering if that meant that they were going to trade Toney Douglas because even though he has a 3-point shot he's still a SG trapped in a PG body whereas Shumpert is capable of being a true PG. But they never traded Douglas, so I guess there was something in Faried's game that Walsh didn't like.

    We sure could have used a rebounder, though. But at the very least we addressed ONE need that we had, which was backcourt defense.

  4. #19
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Real NY Baller
    I think Iman was a better choice because we needed Defense at the PG/SG positions. I know we sucked in rebounding but that was mainly the coaches fault. We were hardly in the right position on defense. And on the other end... a great many of them were rushed long ball shots, that created long offensive rebounds. I don't care if you are D.Rodman...you are not going to get many boards if the ball bounces hard off of the rim. In this league, you can basically coach up any tall dude to fill the lane and jump for the rebound. It's not like we need a scorer down low. We needed someone that can come in right away and make an impact on the game.
    Tell that to David Lee who averaged nearly 11 boards under this coach in the same system with less consistent long range shooting.

    The reasons you don't draft Faried are simple...he will get next to no playing time behind Melo and STAT and can't play the center at 6'7". Iman was a way better pick, filled a need and he has the potential to be an impact player right away.

  5. #20
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    county of the kings
    Posts
    1,120
    Rep Power
    9

    Nyk Logo

    Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    I dunno. When the Knicks drafted Shumpert I was wondering if that meant that they were going to trade Toney Douglas because even though he has a 3-point shot he's still a SG trapped in a PG body whereas Shumpert is capable of being a true PG. But they never traded Douglas, so I guess there was something in Faried's game that Walsh didn't like.

    We sure could have used a rebounder, though. But at the very least we addressed ONE need that we had, which was backcourt defense.

    i would have like to buy a 1st round pick and draft faried along with iman at 17.. i can only assume that td will be traded at some point to shore up the center position possibly to PHX for lopez

  6. #21
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,796
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by moneyg
    i would have like to buy a 1st round pick and draft faried along with iman at 17.. i can only assume that td will be traded at some point to shore up the center position possibly to PHX for lopez
    Could've been an interesting idea. But how much time would Faried have gotten on this team playing behind Amar'e and Carmelo?

    Answer: 8 minutes a game, if that.

    The sad thing is Faried, because of his height, cannot play Center. Period. I don't care HOW hard you hustle, you can't play C when you're 6'7. Doesn't mean you can't be a good rebounder, but you can't play Center, so that would have relegated Faried to 7 minutes a game. Would have been a waste of a pick.

    There's also the chance that Kenneth Faried turns out to be the next Renaldo Balkman. Not saying he's inherently unskilled, but there are reasons the Knicks didn't draft him, the most important one being that he would not have been able to make an impact on a team like ours which has two All-NBA Forwards. At least Shumpert will be able to get time in.

    I don't know why so many Knicks fans are STILL upset. I was upset too but that's before I learned about Shumpert's game and what he has to bring to the table. How the hell can the Knicks be upset when for the first time in ages we actually did something to address the fact that our backcourt defense has been a joke for the past 5 years?

    We draft a defensive minded player in Iman Shumpert because our backcourt defense last year was a joke and Knicks fans are mad because we didn't pick a guy who would've played 8 minutes a game?

    Faried has potential but the more I think about it, the less sense it makes to pick him. Same with Chris Singleton, or any forward in the draft (there were no good C's).

  7. #22
    Veteran STAT1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,361
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    Could've been an interesting idea. But how much time would Faried have gotten on this team playing behind Amar'e and Carmelo?

    Answer: 8 minutes a game, if that.
    If a scrub like Jared Jeffries can average 19 mpg playing behind STAT & Melo last year on the Knicks, then I have to believe a kid like Faried wouldn't have a problem getting his share of minutes either. That is, if MDA was capable of seeing any other player in the role he so vehemently reserved for his favorite role player in the world (why on God's green Earth he had such an unnatural infatuation with Jared Jeffries is 1 of the mysteries of the universe that shall never be answered)

  8. #23
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    county of the kings
    Posts
    1,120
    Rep Power
    9

    Nyk Logo

    Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    Could've been an interesting idea. But how much time would Faried have gotten on this team playing behind Amar'e and Carmelo?

    Answer: 8 minutes a game, if that.

    The sad thing is Faried, because of his height, cannot play Center. Period. I don't care HOW hard you hustle, you can't play C when you're 6'7. Doesn't mean you can't be a good rebounder, but you can't play Center, so that would have relegated Faried to 7 minutes a game. Would have been a waste of a pick.

    There's also the chance that Kenneth Faried turns out to be the next Renaldo Balkman. Not saying he's inherently unskilled, but there are reasons the Knicks didn't draft him, the most important one being that he would not have been able to make an impact on a team like ours which has two All-NBA Forwards. At least Shumpert will be able to get time in.

    I don't know why so many Knicks fans are STILL upset. I was upset too but that's before I learned about Shumpert's game and what he has to bring to the table. How the hell can the Knicks be upset when for the first time in ages we actually did something to address the fact that our backcourt defense has been a joke for the past 5 years?

    We draft a defensive minded player in Iman Shumpert because our backcourt defense last year was a joke and Knicks fans are mad because we didn't pick a guy who would've played 8 minutes a game?

    Faried has potential but the more I think about it, the less sense it makes to pick him. Same with Chris Singleton, or any forward in the draft (there were no good C's).
    true but considering we dont have a backup pf.. he could of backed up STAT...he would of been most effective next to an offensive center like jerome jordan.. if you put faried in with JJ and melo with shumpet and td.. i think that would of been a good backup unit.....

  9. #24
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,796
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Yes if we got Shumpert AND Faried that would've been a good defensive unit.

    But if we only had to pick one, I'd probably go with Shumpert. We have absolutely NO defense in our backcourt especially at the 2 guard position...

  10. #25
    Veteran STAT1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,361
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    We should probably make a trade then because right now we have 6 G's under contract for next season with Chauncey, Shumpert, Douglas, Fields, Walker & Rautins. We have very little depth up front. If Turiaf gets hurt (which he always does) then we have STAT, Jorts & whatever scrubs we scrounge up on minimum level contracts. We really need to sign another big using our MLE this summer (if there is one).

  11. #26
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,796
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    I agree. A good starting center would be great but we could get by with a platoon of C's - Turiaf for 15-20 minutes a night and Kwame Brown for 20-25 minutes a night would be two guys to have at C. Turiaf is a good hustle player and Kwame can rebound, block shots, and run the floor...

    I see Kwame Brown kind of like our version of Kendrick Perkins - he doesn't have good hands, but he can rebound and is athletic. Not to mention he can also block shots...Kwame + Turiaf playing C with Amar'e and Melo manning the 2 Forward spots?

    PG - Billups
    SG - Shumpert (Donnie Walsh said the Knicks would consider using Shumpert as the PG and Billups as the SG but Shumpert would guard the SG and Billups the PG)
    SF - Carmelo
    PF - Amar'e
    C - Kwame Brown

    G - Toney Douglas
    G - Bill Walker
    G - Rautins
    G/F - Landry Fields
    F - Balkman (lol)
    C - Turiaf
    C - Jorts

    Yes I agree we could use some depth up front. Maybe trading Bill Walker and Andy Rautins, or something like that. I think Landry Fields is more of a 6th man serving as a backup SG/SF than he is a starting SG...we'll see, though. I think they have potential, but I do agree having a good backup PF is something this team could definitely use.

  12. #27
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    county of the kings
    Posts
    1,120
    Rep Power
    9

    Nyk Logo

    Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    Yes if we got Shumpert AND Faried that would've been a good defensive unit.

    But if we only had to pick one, I'd probably go with Shumpert. We have absolutely NO defense in our backcourt especially at the 2 guard position...

    agreed.. one of the knocks i had on the draft was ...we didnt buy a first rounder to get faried....we should have.. i would of rathered that than jorts in the second round.. we have the money.. and teams were willing .. so why didnt we make it happen????

  13. #28
    Veteran KBlack25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by moneyg
    agreed.. one of the knocks i had on the draft was ...we didnt buy a first rounder to get faried....we should have.. i would of rathered that than jorts in the second round.. we have the money.. and teams were willing .. so why didnt we make it happen????
    How do you know teams were willing?

    And, even if they were willing, that doesn't mean the cost would have been reasonable...

  14. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    175
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Originally Posted by STAT1
    If a scrub like Jared Jeffries can average 19 mpg playing behind STAT & Melo last year on the Knicks, then I have to believe a kid like Faried wouldn't have a problem getting his share of minutes either.
    Two wrongs don't make a right. Just because one scrub got minutes doesn't mean another should just because you like him better.

    I'll echo what has already been said: Faried is not a center, is too slow for the 3, and too small for the 4.

    People think that just because he's a strong rebounder and was a good shot blocker in college, he will be a good low post defender in the NBA. I don't see it. Remember, David Lee's defense sucks, and Amare's Top-5 blocks in the NBA doesn't make him good at defense. And Faried is undersized. It would take years (if ever) to learn the tricks that small 4's and 5's like Rodman and Ben Wallace used to guard Shaq.

    And speaking of Rodman and Ben Wallace...please don't mention Faried in the same sentence as those guys. In order to have that great of a career with such a one dimensional game, you need to be AMAZING at what you do. You can't predict that kind of career. Odds are Faried will be a career role player off the bench, frequently subbed out due to match-up issues or lack of offensive competency.

    I'm absolutely BAFFLED why so many people are falling in love with this guy.
    6'7 PF with no offense. He's a nice player, but really not worth the passionate regrets about NY's draft choice.

  15. #30
    Superstar MSGhobo247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    MSG
    Posts
    794
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by Marek
    Two wrongs don't make a right. Just because one scrub got minutes doesn't mean another should just because you like him better.

    I'll echo what has already been said: Faried is not a center, is too slow for the 3, and too small for the 4.

    People think that just because he's a strong rebounder and was a good shot blocker in college, he will be a good low post defender in the NBA. I don't see it. Remember, David Lee's defense sucks, and Amare's Top-5 blocks in the NBA doesn't make him good at defense. And Faried is undersized. It would take years (if ever) to learn the tricks that small 4's and 5's like Rodman and Ben Wallace used to guard Shaq.

    And speaking of Rodman and Ben Wallace...please don't mention Faried in the same sentence as those guys. In order to have that great of a career with such a one dimensional game, you need to be AMAZING at what you do. You can't predict that kind of career. Odds are Faried will be a career role player off the bench, frequently subbed out due to match-up issues or lack of offensive competency.

    I'm absolutely BAFFLED why so many people are falling in love with this guy.
    6'7 PF with no offense. He's a nice player, but really not worth the passionate regrets about NY's draft choice.
    Thank you.

Similar Threads

  1. Knicks intrigued by Faried's board work
    By AmareForPresident in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 21, 2011, 09:05

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •