Kwame on the Knicks?

There's no question the Knicks need help in the middle ... but is unrestricted free agent Kwame Brown the answer? Last week, a New York Post report surfaced that the team was interested in offering a one-year deal to a FA center, including the ex-Bobcat.

Although Brown finished this past season above average, averaging 12.4 points and 7.3 rebounds in his last 12 games, his overall 2010-11 campaign and most of his 10-year career have been average; not to mention, inconsistent. In 2003-04, he averaged 10.9 points per game, but the following season he dropped to 7.0 ppg and then his minutes sunk below 20 minutes per game -- until only last season. Averaging 26 minutes per game, he put up 7.9 ppg, 6.8 rpg and 0.6 bpg, while shooting 51.7 percent from the field and 58.9 percent from the line.

If Brown arrives in the Big Apple, don't expect a big upgrade over last season's usual starting center Ronny Turiaf, according to Basketball Prospectus' SCHOENE projection system. If Brown plays Turiaf's identical minutes from last season (17.8 mpg), he will average 4.3 points, 5.1 rebounds and 0.7 blocks per game in 2011-12 with the Knicks. Compared to Turiaf, who averaged 4.3 ppg, 3.2 rpg and 1.1 bpg in 2010-11, Brown's numbers would be a downgrade in terms of shot blocking, but not in terms of rebounding. The scoring averages are a wash, but Turiaf shot 64. percent last year and the projection only shows Brown shooting 52.5 percent from the field next season.

I spoke with an NBA trainer to get his take on Brown, based on his history in the league since former Wizards president of basketball operations Michael Jordan made him the No. 1 pick of the 2001 draft:

"The first positive is his inside presence, which will allow Amare Stoudemire to play at the four spot and shoot perimeter shots from the elbow. They can play a high-low game together, and Amare will be able to play the high post. Two, Kwame's now an experienced veteran who's been on a number of teams and has learned from a number of coaches. MJ took him under his wing and he's matured a lot, so he'll bring veteran leadership to a young Knicks team. Three, Kwame's in great shape. His body is strong, which will enable him to match up defensively against Dwight Howard and big presence players -- the Marc Gasol's, the Andrew Bynum's. He can keep other teams off the offensive glass and he'll take some pressure off Amare to rebound.

As far as negatives, he has Joel Anthony syndrome. He has small hands and has a hard time catching the ball. Offensively, he's not going to put a lot of pressure on anyone. Dwight Howard isn't going to have to worry about checking him. Scoring is not Kwame's role. He can attack the offensive glass, but he's not going to draw double teams in the post. Also, he's not an energy guy like Ronny.

Overall, Kwame would help the Knicks greatly as a back-up, but going into next season as the starting center is not the answer the team should be looking for to take them to championship contention. However, he is a good addition to the team because he can play physical down low. He'll crash the boards and block shots."

Now, the lockout waiting game begins ...
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/5647/kwame-on-the-knicks-not-a-sure-starter

I will say this, if kwame wasnt picked where he was picked and over hyped.

he would be one of the more valuable and consistent back up centers in the league for the past decade.

technically speaking

if you looked at his per 36 mpg stats

he has a career double doubleesque stat line since day one

I dont mind him

when he gets the minutes

he puts up big numbers offensively and defensively

and he can play defense

is he great no

but he will fill a need.

Ide rather have him for the next 3 years

than 6 foot 7 over rated faried who is a 225 lbs hoping to be a real pf in the nba.

Sage

Rotation player
Depending on what offence we actually run, he might get some open looks.. Maybe.

I'm not sold on this, but I guess he'd be better than JJ...

la2ny

Starter
Depending on what offence we actually run, he might get some open looks.. Maybe.

guess..dudes better than JJ, I mean come on lets just be real. Quite frankly, he's probably in the top 5 of best bigs available for a bargain, an dat aint sayin' much(Stephen A Smith)

SSj4Wingzero

All Star

All things considered, Kwame Brown could be a decent backup center. Yes, he's not 1st-overall pick worthy, but he could be our version of Kendrick Perkins. Kwame's not much of a shotblocker, but he's athletic, can run the floor, and is a good rebounder, which are all things that we need desperately.

LJ4ptplay

Starter

I would like to hear who Stephen A Smith has in mind for a Center. Of course, Smith has never had any understanding of the cap. He's a typical loud mouth fan that hasn't a clue.

Brown for the minimum is what we HAVE to look at. We don't have many options. Tyson Chandler isn't coming for the minimum. It's good enough for what we got. We don't need to ask for much from the Center position. Just make hustle plays on both ends.

p0nder

Starter
personally I'm a fan of bringing brown on for the year and see how he does. If he does well and we can pay him reasonable money then I think he would be a good piece of the puzzle going forward. We will need people to bang in the paint. As long as we have amar'e we will always have a good high post player and a decent help defender, but we need to get solid in the middle and give opponents reason to not drive the lane. You have seen this penetration defensive strategy starting to build in the roster with draft picks and perhaps Kwame. A defender on the perimeter to stop penetration (Iman) and a shot blocker/rebounder in the middle to bang and be a presence. (kwame/jorts).

Knicks#7

Rookie
I dont see why we cant go for Kwame and Kurt, neither should be too expensive, and the more big bodies we have, the least amount of excuses D'antoni can use for not playing his bigs, and it keeps Stat from playing center. Veteran bigs will be of great use, especially when we get to the playoffs and need that experience, plus they will be hungry and knowing Stat and Melo will be taking the scoring pressure off of them so they can play Defense. I think with the right coaching, we can have a championship team this coming year.

Last edited:

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I will say this, if kwame wasnt picked where he was picked and over hyped.

he would be one of the more valuable and consistent back up centers in the league for the past decade.

technically speaking

if you looked at his per 36 mpg stats

he has a career double doubleesque stat line since day one

I dont mind him

when he gets the minutes

he puts up big numbers offensively and defensively

and he can play defense

is he great no

but he will fill a need.

Ide rather have him for the next 3 years

than 6 foot 7 over rated faried who is a 225 lbs hoping to be a real pf in the nba.

Just out of curiosity...why does every post of yours look like the format of a poem?

oshi

Benchwarmer
Let's let a guy like Faried go by us and then pick up Kwame for our rebounding of all people, yep seems like a Dolan move to me. **** that. I followed Kwame a bit last year cause I picked him up in my deep money fantasy league and overall he had a few solid games but was pretty inconsistent. He's barely a step above Eddy Curry.

Also for people complaining about Faried's size, Dennis Rodman was 6'6 Barkley was also pretty small. Size can be overrated. You see the Lopez brothers go hard in the paint with hussle and rebs? Nah and they're above 7 feet

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Let's let a guy like Faried go by us and then pick up Kwame for our rebounding of all people, yep seems like a Dolan move to me. **** that. I followed Kwame a bit last year cause I picked him up in my deep money fantasy league and overall he had a few solid games but was pretty inconsistent. He's barely a step above Eddy Curry.

Also for people complaining about Faried's size, Dennis Rodman was 6'6 Barkley was also pretty small. Size can be overrated. You see the Lopez brothers go hard in the paint with hussle and rebs? Nah and they're above 7 feet

Kwame is a legit 7 footer who can play center along side STAT and Melo. Faried is 6'7" tweener who cannot play center and would force STAT to a position he does not want nor is very good at playing. Will people stop pining for this unproven guy from an obscure program!?

Knicks#7

Rookie
:agreed:
Kwame is a legit 7 footer who can play center along side STAT and Melo. Faried is 6'7" tweener who cannot play center and would force STAT to a position he does not want nor is very good at playing. Will people stop pining for this unproven guy from an obscure program!?

:agreed:

STAT1

Starter
Using 1 of the biggest draft busts of all time to illustrate the point that Kenneth Faried isn't worth pining over doesn't really do much to strengthen one's argument IMO.

keyser soze

Benchwarmer

All things considered, Kwame Brown could be a decent backup center. Yes, he's not 1st-overall pick worthy, but he could be our version of Kendrick Perkins. Kwame's not much of a shotblocker, but he's athletic, can run the floor, and is a good rebounder, which are all things that we need desperately.

Jokerclapping.gif