Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Tyson Chandler Open to Leaving Dallas

  1. #1
    BALL DON'T LIE MeloforMayor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    1,767
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Tyson Chandler Open to Leaving Dallas

    Tyson Chandler sold himself to teammates through a policy of hard-driving honesty, a brand of can-you-handle-the-truth locker room leadership that motivated the world champion Dallas Mavericks from training camp all the way through the title-clinching Game 6 of the NBA Finals.

    Now he's bringing that same honest approach to free agency. Back in his Southern California home with his wife and three young children, Chandler has made no bold proclamations about staying or leaving.

    He has simply acknowledged the facts, that for the first time in his 10-year career he is an unrestricted free agent at the most opportune time, having proved to the league with his impactful season that his injuries are history and his presence can be transformational.

    Whenever the NBA lockout ends and a frenzied free-agency period begins, Chandler and his agent, Jeff Schwartz, know he will have the entire league -- or at least those teams with spending power -- in the palm of his large hand.

    "It's a great point in my career, and I'm coming up under free agency and there's a lot of great teams out there, a lot of great opportunities out there, a lot of up-and-building things," Chandler said Tuesday in a phone interview. "So, I mean, I've got to take a look at all that. I've got to take everything into consideration, and the good thing is I'm on a good side. I'm coming off an incredible year, so it's not a situation where it's worrisome."

    The same can't be said for Mavs owner Mark Cuban and president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson, who pulled off last summer's deal with Charlotte to land the 7-foot-1 center. The Mavs' brass will do everything within the parameters of a new collective bargaining agreement and revamped salary structure to keep Chandler -- whom Mavs coach Rick Carlisle said "changed our season," and whom Dirk Nowitzki named the team's MVP early on and never wavered from it -- in a Mavs uniform for years to come.

    Mavs fans might take issue with the notion that Chandler has dropped no hints about a desire to remain in Dallas. There was, of course, the championship rally at American Airlines Center in front of a nearly packed house when he playfully mocked LeBron James when he brought up winning not one, but "two, three, four, five" championships.

    Chandler said he wasn't intentionally mocking James. More interesting is that he said he was caught up in the moment, and at that moment he believed there was a chance that a long-term deal could get done with Dallas before the July 1 lockout, a period of time in which only the Mavs could negotiate with Chandler and his agent.

    "When you win one like this and you have something special you should try to do it in bunches," Chandler said. "But obviously that was a time and I felt like the opportunity for me coming back was big and I thought we may have an opportunity to get things worked out before this collective bargaining agreement. But now I'm going to go into free agency."



    From ESPNDallas

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,538
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    The dude is looking for a big payday, I personally don't think he's worth it playing only on one side of the ball. He lucked out getting that ring in his contract year but that Dallas team was not just about him.

  3. #3
    Veteran p0nder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,323
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Yeah, he is a role player looking to get superstar dollars. No doubt he was the propelling factor that took the mavs to the promised land. but he was lucky to end up on a team that was already stacked with vets and role players, as well as a good rotation of big men to ease his burden.

    Two things from this article i came away with 1, he sounds pretty sore about not getting his payday before the lockout. He is saying that the mavs opportunity to talk to him and have that 1 on 1 business is out the window. He is now a free agent and will ask for what the market gives him on any contract.

    2. I think his agent is in his ear about getting a big contract, a lot of the language he uses kind of leans itself that way. But that will probably not be in the best interest of Chandler, who needs to be surrounded by talent in order to be effective. Unless he lands in NY (unlikely) or another very talented roster then he's looking at teams outside of the playoffs looking in. Not a great situation for Chandler, especially if he will be asked to score.

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,792
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Let's be honest, centers like Tyson Chandler are hard to come by. If we can get him at a REASONABLE (ie non-superstar) price, we should.

    In a dream world we'd have Tyson Chandler AND Chris Paul and Carmelo and Amar'e for probably the most balanced roster in the entire NBA but that's a dream world

  5. #5
    BALL DON'T LIE MeloforMayor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    1,767
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by p0nder
    Yeah, he is a role player looking to get superstar dollars. No doubt he was the propelling factor that took the mavs to the promised land. but he was lucky to end up on a team that was already stacked with vets and role players, as well as a good rotation of big men to ease his burden.

    Two things from this article i came away with 1, he sounds pretty sore about not getting his payday before the lockout. He is saying that the mavs opportunity to talk to him and have that 1 on 1 business is out the window. He is now a free agent and will ask for what the market gives him on any contract.

    2. I think his agent is in his ear about getting a big contract, a lot of the language he uses kind of leans itself that way. But that will probably not be in the best interest of Chandler, who needs to be surrounded by talent in order to be effective. Unless he lands in NY (unlikely) or another very talented roster then he's looking at teams outside of the playoffs looking in. Not a great situation for Chandler, especially if he will be asked to score.
    Agreed. He will look for a big payday from anyone who is willing to play. As the saying goes, strike while the pan is hot. He's gonna be overpaid. Much like Ben Wallace when he signed with the Bulls. He would be great for the Knicks as the Defensive Enforcer, but I don't see it happening unless he takes less money.

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    county of the kings
    Posts
    1,120
    Rep Power
    8

    Nyk Logo

    Originally Posted by MeloforMayor
    Agreed. He will look for a big payday from anyone who is willing to play. As the saying goes, strike while the pan is hot. He's gonna be overpaid. Much like Ben Wallace when he signed with the Bulls. He would be great for the Knicks as the Defensive Enforcer, but I don't see it happening unless he takes less money.

    no way he signs with us..i dont think cuban is doing any sign and trades and he will command more than 5 mil per....if hes gonna take less.. the heat would be his best option

  7. #7
    BALL DON'T LIE MeloforMayor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    1,767
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by moneyg
    no way he signs with us..i dont think cuban is doing any sign and trades and he will command more than 5 mil per....if hes gonna take less.. the heat would be his best option
    Yeah.
    Most likely situation is he will ask for 9-11 mil per year. Not in our price range.

  8. #8
    Veteran STAT1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,361
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    Let's be honest, centers like Tyson Chandler are hard to come by. If we can get him at a REASONABLE (ie non-superstar) price, we should.

    In a dream world we'd have Tyson Chandler AND Chris Paul and Carmelo and Amar'e for probably the most balanced roster in the entire NBA but that's a dream world
    We don't have the cap space to sign him to any kind of contract other than the MLE this summer. He'll command a lot more than that in free agency. Look at how much a guy like Brendan Haywood is making on the same team to come off the bench no less. Chandler will be looking for at least a 7 figure annual salary, or very close to it. Unless the Mavs can find a taker for Haywood they may not have the means to re-sign Chandler either (depending on how the new CBA shakes out with the hard cap situation), but that still doesn't rule out other teams that will have plenty of cap space this summer, like the Denver Nuggets for example who have at least 12-20M of cap space to spend & an obvious need for a C should they be unable to re-sign Nene. Same goes for Memphis if they can't get a deal worked out for Marc Gasol. Sacramento has plenty of cap room to spend also this summer, but going after Chandler would depend on whether or not they choose to make DeMarcus Cousins the foundation of their franchise going forward. He has had some bouts of immature behavior & issues with inconsistency so they might also be looking for some insurance at the C position. Hassan Whiteside is as yet still a huge project & a few years away from being an impactful player at the NBA level.

  9. #9
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,538
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally Posted by MeloforMayor
    Agreed. He will look for a big payday from anyone who is willing to play. As the saying goes, strike while the pan is hot. He's gonna be overpaid. Much like Ben Wallace when he signed with the Bulls. He would be great for the Knicks as the Defensive Enforcer, but I don't see it happening unless he takes less money.
    Yeah, teams never seem to learn. The Bulls couldn't wait to get rid of Wallace but Wallace was similar to Chandler, good defensive player that played on a good Pistons team surrounded by solid vets that made him look better than he was. Wallace cashed in on his rings just like Chandler wants to.

Similar Threads

  1. Center News: Tyson Chandler May Opt Out Of Contract
    By Crazy⑧s in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Jun 14, 2010, 13:20
  2. Chandler vs. Ariza
    By Italian Stallion in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Apr 26, 2009, 14:13
  3. In His Quiet Way, Chandler Has Emerged as a Knicks Star
    By chandlerlee4 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Apr 17, 2009, 09:08
  4. Tyson Chandler Trade no more!
    By StreetDreams21 in forum NBA
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Feb 19, 2009, 04:21
  5. Tyson Chandler?
    By portega1968 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Feb 17, 2009, 12:56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •