Yao Ming retires

tiger0330

Legend
What a shame. In his prime he was better than Howard will ever be.
As good as DH is whenever they played head up, Yao put up the better numbers. He would have been one of the greatest centers ever if it weren't for all of the injuries.

Yao is a great ambassador for the game, I hope he keeps his home in America and stays involved. His daughter was born here and is an American citizen and he has a restaurant in the Houston area so maybe he splits time in both China and the US.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Yao might not be done quite yet according to this.

HOUSTON ? Houston Rockets center Yao Ming will retire from the NBA after an eight-year career, according to a Yahoo! Sports report.

Citing league sources, the Houston Chronicle reported Friday that the veteran center told the Rockets, the NBA and NBA China sometime in the last 48 hours about his decision.

"We have not received any official notification of his retirement," said NBA spokesman Tim Frank .

KHOU 11 Sports contacted Rockets general manager Daryl Morey, but he would not comment on the matter.

KHOU 11 Sports talked to a close of friend of Yao's, who said he might retire, but that it's not official at this point. The friend said Yao is going to seek another opinion from another doctor before he makes his final decision.

Yao, the top pick in the 2002 NBA draft, averaged 19 points and just over 9 rebounds per game during his career.

In the past two seasons, the 7-foot-6 center has played in just five games. His most recent season ended on Nov. 10 in Washington, when he suffered a stress fracture in his left leg.

tiger0330

Legend
Yao has a press conference in Shanghai where it's likely he will announce his retirement. It's scheduled for 7/20 2AM EDT. I am huge fan of Yao so I will be tuning in.