I want Paul, but w Nash I think we could win it all too.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Pretty much, what I'm saying is this....the dudes you want us to get...the bench and the center to protect the paint....are the same caliber of guys we're going to have to target whether or not we have CP3. Unless we throw the majority of the $14-16M at one guy.

The list of the best unrestricted free agents in 2012 not named Deron, CP3, or Dwight is something like this: Ramon Sessions, Hinrich, Ray Allen, Garnett, Diaw, Baron Davis, Mo Williams, Jason Terry, Kidd, Andre Miller, Maxiell, Ben Wallace, Posey, Kaman, House, Big Z, Farmar, and Elton Brand.

Some of those guys have player options and might not hit the market, but I threw their name in there anyway. I don't see your center in there, and I don't know why we wouldn't give Paul his deal, maybe sign a rotation guy like a Diaw or Posey, and then throw the MLE at someone else and hope they take it.
Well, I would take Kaman.

To your previous, you can add an MLE every year? So the Heat could still keep Miller and another MLE? (depending on the CBA).

Either way, I think we can both agree we're going to be better whoever we get. What I disagree with is our PG position needing to be filled. Billups might have a few years left, and we DO need the defense in the paint. We won't be slightly better with the players I mention. We need a PASSER for STAT and Melo, we don't need everything in a large part.

I might be able to type more on this, but I've been awake over twenty four hours because of a no sleep contest (that I won:afro:).

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Well, I would take Kaman.

To your previous, you can add an MLE every year? So the Heat could still keep Miller and another MLE? (depending on the CBA).

Either way, I think we can both agree we're going to be better whoever we get. What I disagree with is our PG position needing to be filled. Billups might have a few years left, and we DO need the defense in the paint. We won't be slightly better with the players I mention. We need a PASSER for STAT and Melo, we don't need everything in a large part.

I might be able to type more on this, but I've been awake over twenty four hours because of a no sleep contest (that I won:afro:).

If you're gonna take Kaman at about $9-11M a season...why not add 4 more and hit Dwight up with the max?

The MLE is the value of the average NBA contract and every team over the salary cap gets it and can give it to one player, or slit it up between multiple FAs. So...if Tyson sets the market high, and Kaman can get lets say...$10M, you have another 4 to spend. (if we ultimately end up with $14M to spend this summer) Or you can give Dwight/CP3/Deron that entire $14M, and still get whoever you were going to acquire before. Now you can have your cake and eat it too.

The problems arise in the future from the annual increase in salaries, after a while, the 3 max players becomes almost the entire payroll and it'll make things extremely tight. But I think the new CBA will do something to take care of that tho, the NBA loves these super teams because they bring in the revenue. The Celtics (in 2008), Heat, and Lakers sold out nearly every arena they went to, and raked in the cash for a league already losing money. Stern, the League brass, and owners in large markets want these super teams. Owners in smaller media markets don't want these teams. We'll see who wins that battle, but my money is on LBJ, Wade, and Bosh not being forced apart in the future due to the CBA and salary cap structure, just a hunch I have.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
If you're gonna take Kaman at about $9-11M a season...why not add 4 more and hit Dwight up with the max?

The MLE is the value of the average NBA contract and every team over the salary cap gets it and can give it to one player, or slit it up between multiple FAs. So...if Tyson sets the market high, and Kaman can get lets say...$10M, you have another 4 to spend. (if we ultimately end up with $14M to spend this summer) Or you can give Dwight/CP3/Deron that entire $14M, and still get whoever you were going to acquire before. Now you can have your cake and eat it too.

The problems arise in the future from the annual increase in salaries, after a while, the 3 max players becomes almost the entire payroll and it'll make things extremely tight. But I think the new CBA will do something to take care of that tho, the NBA loves these super teams because they bring in the revenue. The Celtics (in 2008), Heat, and Lakers sold out nearly every arena they went to, and raked in the cash for a league already losing money. Stern, the League brass, and owners in large markets want these super teams. Owners in smaller media markets don't want these teams. We'll see who wins that battle, but my money is on LBJ, Wade, and Bosh not being forced apart in the future due to the CBA and salary cap structure, just a hunch I have.
Well from a basketball perspective, I do think Dwight is the best choice period, but I don't see it happening. Who knows though.

Appreciate the explanation for the MLE. I still don't understand it much, but your post is a good start/reference. The part that threw me off, and still does is the every year thing with the MLE. Sounds unfair, but I don't know much about it.

I think James, Wade, an Bosh will be staying too, and that's with me not understanding much of the CBA. I don't see them being split, something will be done by the Heat and/or the NBA.