Kwame Brown... Are we serious?!

smokes

Huge Member
I am genuinely starting to get confused and disillusioned with the state of affairs on this board and this organization when we are actually considering Kwame Brown as our free agent C signing for this year.

I'm not saying we should be looking at Tyson Chandler or Nene or someone out of our league, I'm saying honestly I would rather start our no. 45 pick or someone from the D-league than this guy.

I honestly believe Kwame Brown is the result of a lonely road night in the Knicks hotel where Eddy Curry and Jared Jeffries decided to get cozy. A legit 7 foot underachiever who cannot hit an open layup or dunk. His lack of hands or dribble mean he is a liability whenever he is thrown the ball. His ability to blow open dunks sucks the life out of the team. He shoots free throws worse than Dwight Howard. THIS GUY HAS NO TANGIBLE BASKETBALL SKILLS WHATSOEVER!!

Do we honestly think that his 5 rebounds per game or his 0.5 blocks per game are going to make a difference? Even the Gov was putting up better numbers than Kwame Brown whilst being in the doghouse and averaging 13 minutes per game in his first ever NBA season...

The beard of Zeus has spoken....

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
If -and this is a big if- he can give us 15-20 minutes, clog the paint, be a presence and we get em very cheaply, I don't mind it.. I'd rather watch Kwame than the giraffe. Plus I have a feeling he might be able to get his shine on a bit playing next to STAT.

Has Kwame ever played alongside a big of STAT's caliber? Idts.. I have to think about that.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
If smokes is right he sounds like another Jeffries.

I'm fine with our centers only being decent on offense and not looking much to score while being good defenders (Turiaf), but I'm not fine with our center bricking lay-ups and dunks.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Seriously ALL WE NEED is for Kwame to block shots and grab rebounds. That's IT. Because he's athletic he can get the occasional layup and/or dunk but it's not really NECESSARY.

Good teams needs ROLEPLAYERS and Kwame can be a good one on a cheap contract.

smokes

Huge Member
Seriously ALL WE NEED is for Kwame to block shots and grab rebounds. That's IT. Because he's athletic he can get the occasional layup and/or dunk but it's not really NECESSARY.

Actually it does matter... With a player like Kwame who is an offensive liability the opposition can throw doubles on Stat whenever they feel like it and if Kwame does end up with the ball they can just foul him and get away with giving up 1 or 0 points.

He blocks half a shot a game and barely more than 5 rebounds per game in 20+ minutes, he does not fill any need apart from that we have a gaping hole at that position right now. Anyone would be better than Kwame Brown.

No heart, no hustle. Have we not learned our lesson on this yet?

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
There's something missing in Kwame, no doubt. But I'll take him for his size and presence over JJ any day. I also feel strongly that his ability around the rim is head and shoulders above The Giraffe. Maybe MDA could instill some much needed confidence in the kid..

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
There's something missing in Kwame, no doubt. But I'll take him for his size and presence over JJ any day. I also feel strongly that his ability around the rim is head and shoulders above The Giraffe. Maybe MDA could instill some much needed confidence in the kid..
By benching him?

smokes

Huge Member
By benching him?

Lol...

Yeah my ANYBODY quote might be a bit too far, I wouldn't want JJ or Kwame to be honest but I really would prefer to take a chance on a project or have someone undersized with serious hustle/energy (is Kris Humphries a free agent?).

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
If -and this is a big if- he can give us 15-20 minutes, clog the paint, be a presence and we get em very cheaply, I don't mind it.. I'd rather watch Kwame than the giraffe. Plus I have a feeling he might be able to get his shine on a bit playing next to STAT.

I don't know about shine? Probably a dull gleam. But you're right. All we need is 15-20 of physicality defensively. The rustic Jermaine O'neal proved how badly we need that in the 1st round.

If smokes is right he sounds like another Jeffries.

Weight and strength differential here is almost immeasurable. Jefferies strongest body part is most likely his anus. Or his hair. :shrug: Perhaps the hair on his anus.

I agree with that, but Brown has only ever shown any potency as a Laker. Phil Jackson was the guru of solidifying roles for individuals. D'Antoni's 'system' will not nurse someone of Brown's mediocrity: offence = merit. Even as a role player.

Actually it does matter... With a player like Kwame who is an offensive liability the opposition can throw doubles on Stat whenever they feel like it and if Kwame does end up with the ball they can just foul him and get away with giving up 1 or 0 points.

He blocks half a shot a game and barely more than 5 rebounds per game in 20+ minutes, he does not fill any need apart from that we have a gaping hole at that position right now. Anyone would be better than Kwame Brown.

No heart, no hustle. Have we not learned our lesson on this yet?

All in all, I think you're being a little too harsh, but you're right: Kwame Brown is SHIT. Given our post trade cap situation however, what/who can we honestly pursue? We've become so desperate for a big, with what little wiggle room we have, (and now we roll the dice with the CBA) that someone of Brown's height and weight comes across as a saviour type addition. I think the pining for Jerome Jordan to come in is another example of just how deluded we've become about signing literally anyone as our center.

Regardless, this is the spot we're in. We need a center with experience to rest Ronny T every second night.

So the question isn't 'are we seriously considering the worst #1 pick of all time?', the question is 'who can we find that isn't a bumbling oaf'?

Answer: **** knows????????????????????????

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Crazy⑧s;184176 said:
I don't know about shine? Probably a dull gleam. But you're right. All we need is 15-20 of physicality defensively. The rustic Jermaine O'neal proved how badly we need that in the 1st round.

Weight and strength differential here is almost immeasurable. Jefferies strongest body part is most likely his anus. Or his hair. :shrug: Perhaps the hair on his anus.

I agree with that, but Brown has only ever shown any potency as a Laker. Phil Jackson was the guru of solidifying roles for individuals. D'Antoni's 'system' will not nurse someone of Brown's mediocrity: offence = merit. Even as a role player.

All in all, I think you're being a little too harsh, but you're right: Kwame Brown is SHIT. Given our post trade cap situation however, what/who can we honestly pursue? We've become so desperate for a big, with what little wiggle room we have, (and now we roll the dice with the CBA) that someone of Brown's height and weight comes across as a saviour type addition. I think the pining for Jerome Jordan to come in is another example of just how deluded we've become about signing literally anyone as our center.

Regardless, this is the spot we're in. We need a center with experience to rest Ronny T every second night.

So the question isn't 'are we seriously considering the worst #1 pick of all time?', the question is 'who can we find that isn't a bumbling oaf'?

Answer: **** knows????????????????????????
Well you're right. People do convince themselves guys like even Jerome Jordan are gonna save us. Every team has a center, so guys like him and guys like Kwame, you can't expect anything significant. It also doesn't help when people are convincing themselves this because they want Chris Paul.

I'd honestly go with Chuck Hayes. Forget his height. The proof is in the pudding. It's not like we don't have Turiaf.

Sign him as our center next season (if there is), then the next move him to PF or whenever when we get other players.

Red

TYPE-A
I am genuinely starting to get confused and disillusioned with the state of affairs on this board and this organization when we are actually considering Kwame Brown as our free agent C signing for this year.

I'm not saying we should be looking at Tyson Chandler or Nene or someone out of our league, I'Im saying honestly I would rather start our no. 45 pick or someone from the D-league than this guy.

I honestly believe Kwame Brown is the result of a lonely road night in the Knicks hotel where Eddy Curry and Jared Jeffries decided to get cozy. A legit 7 foot underachiever who cannot hit an open layup or dunk. His lack of hands or dribble mean he is a liability whenever he is thrown the ball. His ability to blow open dunks sucks the life out of the team. He shoots free throws worse than Dwight Howard. THIS GUY HAS NO TANGIBLE BASKETBALL SKILLS WHATSOEVER!!

Do we honestly think that his 5 rebounds per game or his 0.5 blocks per game are going to make a difference? Even the Gov was putting up better numbers than Kwame Brown whilst being in the doghouse and averaging 13 minutes per game in his first ever NBA season...

Get use to it!

Kwame Brown is symbolic...

He symbolizes who and what type of players we will be forced to sign/acquire in persuit of this 3star dream.

Only hope is to draft a young cheap asset, and not trade him to acquire "stars".

This will be our norm.. Kwame Browns and the oldest player(s) in the league like Kurt Thomas.

That's why I say our next best move(s) is to trade for draft picks, the higher (worse team) the better.

That way our talent will come cheap and we can then talk about stars (which we have) why spend money on 50/50 vets instead of taking our chances with youth from the draft? Their contracts are regulated, the rules to over the cap are there (maybe), and they have just as much chance to produce, imo.

smokes

Huge Member
But do we really, honestly want another guy like this on our roster? We should have learned by now. If we got him for a price which was totally insignificant, on a one-year deal, with a spare roster spot and no way it could possibly bite us in the ass I would be ok with it. I just can't see that happening.

The only possible upside I can see to getting Kwame Brown would be by some miracle some other team with a lack of size and a desire to screw themselves would trade us someone decent for a package which involved him. Or I guess he could do a Zach Randolph/Jermaine O'Neal and actually start to perform to his potential. Stranger things have happened.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Get use to it!

Kwame Brown is symbolic...

He symbolizes who and what type of players we will be forced to sign/acquire in persuit of this 3star dream.

Only hope is to draft a young cheap asset, and not trade him to acquire "stars".

This will be our norm.. Kwame Browns and the oldest player(s) in the league like Kurt Thomas.

That's why I say our next best move(s) is to trade for draft picks, the higher (worse team) the better.

That way our talent will come cheap and we can then talk about stars (which we have) why spend money on 50/50 vets instead of taking our chances with youth from the draft? Their contracts are regulated, the rules to over the cap are there (maybe), and they have just as much chance to produce, imo.

I'm all for acquiring cheap, young talent - basketball related or otherwise - as well. But we have to consider our window of opportunity. By 2014/15, STAT & Melo's final season under contract, we have to exert every effort to achieve between now and then, plainly because that's the way this organisation operates.

I have little doubt that long term investing is, as it ever has been, far from the forefront of Lames Colon's puny mind. Especially now that MSG tix have incremented to +50% cost in one greedy bound. Sadly, the rest of us have to adapt to that frame of mind, and ignore the standard approach.

Sigh.

p0nder

Starter
Kwame on a one year deal, in a prime situation to perform and make something out of himself could turn around and surprise us all...

Our alternatives are not any better. I know people would rather see a Marc Gasol or DeAndre Jordan or Chris Kaman or something here, but it is totally unreasonable to expect that they would come here for chump change on a 1 year contract. You get what you pay for most times. Kwame will come in and play a role in this season and if he can prove that he has enough to start at Center for us then i'll be thrilled.

On the upside, he is reportedly in great shape, hungry to prove that he is better then what people think, and willing to come here cheap on a redemption mission.

If we got him for a price which was totally insignificant, on a one-year deal, with a spare roster spot and no way it could possibly bite us in the ass I would be ok with it. I just can't see that happening.

That is pretty much what is happening. 1 year deal, not much $$$ and insignificant to the FA chase. Worst that happens is he is as bad as we think and can only give us a few fouls and boards in a couple of minutes each game. Best that happens is he performs to his potential and plays that marc gasol type of defensive game on a nightly basis.

Red

TYPE-A
Crazy⑧s;184182 said:
I'm all for acquiring cheap, young talent - basketball related or otherwise - as well. But we have to consider our window of opportunity. By 2014/15, STAT & Melo's final season under contract, we have to exert every effort to achieve between now and then, plainly because that's the way this organisation operates.

I have little doubt that long term investing is, as it ever has been, far from the forefront of Lames Colon's puny mind. Especially now that MSG tix have incremented to +50% cost in one greedy bound. Sadly, the rest of us have to adapt to that frame of mind, and ignore the standard approach.

Sigh.

Relative to our window of opportunity i'd agree

-we probably have to go over the cap
-we inheret little to no margin for error

This can be done by signing that vet that gets us over the hump for the MLE if available

But imo we aren't THERE yet

I like the model of my other two Franchises who have proven themselves: Yankees & Giants

Their championships included DRAFTED players with a few vet compliments

Not bought teams. The NBA salary structure is made that way, that basically your "good" "best" players cannot all be proven stars because they cost $

Drafting talent fills two voids. Talent and production and low cost (efficient) but the risk of not knowing is involved.
This is why I say a bevy of picks is best so the hit or miss is rduced, and obviously the higher pick further reduces this risk although nothing (draft position) is gauranteed.

If we see our window NOW, then we know we need defense and size NOW. If we see it for the next few years then young cheap talent is needed. But an expensive Chris Paul will hurt two fold.

Box us in to having to accpet a Kurt Thomas or over pay a Dalembert or Brown or worse and possibly not addressing our true needs.

There is no way around this but to acquire quality production through the draft. We must keep or picks going forward, buy more picks, and if need be trade for picks.

Last edited: