Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 98

Thread: CENTER -vs- CP3 redux:

  1. #46
    Superstar nuckles2k2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,172
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    People still don't seem to understand....that if the new CBA permits it...and there's still an MLE...and if Paul wants to be here and doesn't sign an extension for anyone else (because no team is going to trade assets for a guy with rights to walk) we'll BE ABLE TO GET THE SAME CENTERS THAT WE CAN ACQUIRE NOW WITH THE MLE, BE IT SPLITTING IT BETWEEN TWO, OR GIVING IT ALL TO ONE.

    None of the centers, 2-14 are available for the same exact reason a bunch of people on this board wants them...they're good and they're valuable...but they're either under long term contract or are expensive free agents...be it restricted or unrestricted. If the CBA prevents us from getting CP3, then where would the money for one of those guys come from? Cause to pry a restricted FA center away from his team....you'd have to give him the $14-16M that you would be giving CP3. All of the unrestricted FA's, Chandler, Sammy D, and Nene are up for contract this year....not next....when we have the money to spend. No one is taking our "assets" for any of their centers unless it's Dwight forcing his way here by not signing an extension for anyone else.

    God damn man...here we go again, it was the same thing with the Melo situation. I feel like a broken record. People telling me that there are better offers elsewhere and I keep saying "if dude wants to be here, he'll be here because the Knicks are the last team Denver can get a deal with and the only ones if he won't put pen to paper for someone else." I'm told how wrong I am and ****...until every other deal for Melo falls thru, and we get him...

    One more time. We can't afford any center FA's this year, restricted or otherwise. All we can do this year is get a Kwame Brown, or Przybilla type guy. No one is trading Horford or Javale McGee to us, that's more of a pipedream than a dude who actually wants to be here and has the power to make it happen.

    Ok...follow along....the restricted FA centers will only leave their teams next year if offered a contract that their team refuses to match. That means an outlandish amount of money, like the $34M contract Portland gave to a second year, second round pick Wesley Matthews. Utah said "the ****???? you guys can have him for that coin" now hindsight being 20/20, they probably should have kept him...but everyone was shocked by that deal. The Knicks would have to do something similar to pry Javale away from Washington....that means giving him all $14-15M that we would be looking to give to CP3, and there's still no guarantee that Washington doesn't match it and keep him. (like Orlando did with Reddick)

    So what happens if we don't get Javale, or....Asik? I dunno who people are even targeting. But say we don't get one of those guys....who do we go to? Available, veteran, MLE type centers. Now....if there's still an MLE, why would you rather give that guy(s) a contract under the cap...as opposed to giving CP3 the money you have to spend, and then getting your center with the MLE? Now you have the center you were always gonna get, and you have your PG of the future.

    If the cap is so restricting to the point where we can't give CP3 his money next summer, then we're not getting Javale McGee...cause it would require the same money.

    This is simply a matter of: would you rather have CP3 on your roster and have a rotation of centers on your team, or have Javale McGee and a question mark at the helm of your team?

    People seem to think that getting CP3 hamstrings us in some way, but then they bring up guys under contract, at a position where upper echelon talent is scarce...and they seem to think that we're trading Billups, Fields, a ham sandwich, and a reach around for a legit top ten center. And they'd rather hold onto that hope and dream, as opposed to having CP3, Joel Przybilla, Jeff Foster, and Jorts.

    Knicks fans......What. The. ****?

    Is it a lack of knowledge of the salary cap type stuff, or what? Cause this **** is getting ridiculous.

    Only in NYC would a fan of a team with Carmelo Anthony and Amar'e Stoudemire say some **** like "CP3 and servicable centers? nah....gimme that unavailable *****....that's how you win rings."

  2. #47
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Red
    That 1st bolded statement absolutely kills me! I can't do it.
    No it kills your point because it's true. If overpaying for a marginal center like D. Jordan at 10mil is off the table(which it should be when CP3 can be had for 4-6 mil more) than you understand that marginal centers in the 4-6 mil range can be had via trade or MLE moving forward in the years to come. Forgoing a stud like CP3 for a big body role player is absurd since role players can and will be acquired each and every year.

    The 2nd bolded I didn't understand.
    My point was I rather have CP3 and a slightly worse center than losing out on CP3 all together and getting a slightly better center while keeping Billups as our PG for the next 1-2 years. (plus we would then be in need of a PG once Billups is proven too old to play)

  3. #48
    TYPE-A Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,308
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    People still don't seem to understand....that if the new CBA permits it...and there's still an MLE...and if Paul wants to be here and doesn't sign an extension for anyone else (because no team is going to trade assets for a guy with rights to walk) we'll BE ABLE TO GET THE SAME CENTERS THAT WE CAN ACQUIRE NOW WITH THE MLE, BE IT SPLITTING IT BETWEEN TWO, OR GIVING IT ALL TO ONE.

    None of the centers, 2-14 are available for the same exact reason a bunch of people on this board wants them...they're good and they're valuable...but they're either under long term contract or are expensive free agents...be it restricted or unrestricted. If the CBA prevents us from getting CP3, then where would the money for one of those guys come from? Cause to pry a restricted FA center away from his team....you'd have to give him the $14-16M that you would be giving CP3. All of the unrestricted FA's, Chandler, Sammy D, and Nene are up for contract this year....not next....when we have the money to spend. No one is taking our "assets" for any of their centers unless it's Dwight forcing his way here by not signing an extension for anyone else.

    God damn man...here we go again, it was the same thing with the Melo situation. I feel like a broken record. People telling me that there are better offers elsewhere and I keep saying "if dude wants to be here, he'll be here because the Knicks are the last team Denver can get a deal with and the only ones if he won't put pen to paper for someone else." I'm told how wrong I am and ****...until every other deal for Melo falls thru, and we get him...

    One more time. We can't afford any center FA's this year, restricted or otherwise. All we can do this year is get a Kwame Brown, or Przybilla type guy. No one is trading Horford or Javale McGee to us, that's more of a pipedream than a dude who actually wants to be here and has the power to make it happen.

    Ok...follow along....the restricted FA centers will only leave their teams next year if offered a contract that their team refuses to match. That means an outlandish amount of money, like the $34M contract Portland gave to a second year, second round pick Wesley Matthews. Utah said "the ****???? you guys can have him for that coin" now hindsight being 20/20, they probably should have kept him...but everyone was shocked by that deal. The Knicks would have to do something similar to pry Javale away from Washington....that means giving him all $14-15M that we would be looking to give to CP3, and there's still no guarantee that Washington doesn't match it and keep him. (like Orlando did with Reddick)

    So what happens if we don't get Javale, or....Asik? I dunno who people are even targeting. But say we don't get one of those guys....who do we go to? Available, veteran, MLE type centers. Now....if there's still an MLE, why would you rather give that guy(s) a contract under the cap...as opposed to giving CP3 the money you have to spend, and then getting your center with the MLE? Now you have the center you were always gonna get, and you have your PG of the future.

    If the cap is so restricting to the point where we can't give CP3 his money next summer, then we're not getting Javale McGee...cause it would require the same money.

    This is simply a matter of: would you rather have CP3 on your roster and have a rotation of centers on your team, or have Javale McGee and a question mark at the helm of your team?

    People seem to think that getting CP3 hamstrings us in some way, but then they bring up guys under contract, at a position where upper echelon talent is scarce...and they seem to think that we're trading Billups, Fields, a ham sandwich, and a reach around for a legit top ten center. And they'd rather hold onto that hope and dream, as opposed to having CP3, Joel Przybilla, Jeff Foster, and Jorts.

    Knicks fans......What. The. ****?

    Is it a lack of knowledge of the salary cap type stuff, or what? Cause this **** is getting ridiculous.

    Only in NYC would a fan of a team with Carmelo Anthony and Amar'e Stoudemire say some **** like "CP3 and servicable centers? nah....gimme that unavailable *****....that's how you win rings."
    Why is it ok to assume we can either afford CP3 or trade for him based on a wedding toast?

    As opposed to assuming we can use whatever means necessary to fill our glaring void?

    Why is it ok to believe we can target a FA a year away after we swung and missed multiple free agents a year away?

    Why is it ok to witness & acknowledge how atrocious our defense has been for years, but then target a PG and assume we will fix our atrocious defense?

    People, if we can't afford, or presume to be able to trade anyone NOW, then how can you make an argument we will be able to do so then?

    We assume we have the MLE, as in the op, let's assume we won't know, and go with what we do know.

    We know there are ways to acquire a better center than we have period. The only hang up is whether that center cuts into money (reserved) for next year. A year when we assume we can afford one player? And if said player is gotten we'll still need a center?

    Thatks mind boggling.

    We are under the cap. We have expiring contracts. We just drafted a pg, an athletic/defensive one at that.

    Stop the we can't afford sh*t. We can or be creative.
    Really Billups is our key- CP3'ers know this like everyone.

    If we don't sign a viable C, and Shump produces, I'll trade Billups for one of those expensive centers anyday.

    Maybe even offer a sign and trade before the season starts- that's how desperate our situation is. Not only to fill this void, but to be able to develop chemistry as well...

    Unlike most MOA'ers, I. Clearly remember all the convienient excuses presented.

    Incomplete team
    We have no center
    We have no depth
    Blah blah blah...

    Well here's your chance. No excuses.

  4. #49
    TYPE-A Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,308
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s
    Unbelievable. "We'll just sign Chris Paul and the rest will fall in to place". I had no idea it was so easy to be GM when all we need is a little blind faith.
    Bingo!

    Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s
    That's OK. Nonsense to me is the complete rebuffing of a number of things that make CP3 being a Knick an extreme unlikelihood.

    CBA - Contractual conflict between them and us - better trade offers for NO than we could possibly contest with - We have 2 stars already.

    All in all, making arguments in favour of what is extremely unlikely is pointless.

    We know what our weakness is, I don't see the point in ignoring it any longer than we already have.
    You make too much sense.

  5. #50
    Superstar nuckles2k2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,172
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by Red
    Why is it ok to assume we can either afford CP3 or trade for him based on a wedding toast?

    As opposed to assuming we can use whatever means necessary to fill our glaring void?

    Why is it ok to believe we can target a FA a year away after we swung and missed multiple free agents a year away?

    Why is it ok to witness & acknowledge how atrocious our defense has been for years, but then target a PG and assume we will fix our atrocious defense?

    People, if we can't afford, or presume to be able to trade anyone NOW, then how can you make an argument we will be able to do so then?

    We assume we have the MLE, as in the op, let's assume we won't know, and go with what we do know.

    We know there are ways to acquire a better center than we have period. The only hang up is whether that center cuts into money (reserved) for next year. A year when we assume we can afford one player? And if said player is gotten we'll still need a center?

    Thatks mind boggling.

    We are under the cap???? We have expiring contracts. We just drafted a pg, an athletic/defensive one at that.

    Stop the we can't afford sh*t. We can or be creative.
    Really Billups is our key- CP3'ers know this like everyone.

    If we don't sign a viable C, and Shump produces, I'll trade Billups for one of those expensive centers anyday.

    Maybe even offer a sign and trade before the season starts- that's how desperate our situation is. Not only to fill this void, but to be able to develop chemistry as well...

    Unlike most MOA'ers, I. Clearly remember all the convienient excuses presented.

    Incomplete team
    We have no center
    We have no depth
    Blah blah blah...

    Well here's your chance. No excuses.
    Dude, we don't know about the MLE because there is no CBA...so there are no moves to make because teams can't contract with players they're not allowed to speak to. Once we do have a CBA, we will know if there's an MLE or not and go from there.

    We are not under the cap....we're $2M over last year's cap, without resigning Shawne, or having Shumpert's money on the books which is why we have the MLE this year. We can't afford a center that you want this year, we can afford one next year....but all the unrestricted ones will be gone. The good FA centers next year are restricted, which means we have to give them CP3 money to get them. Or you can get CP3 and still get serviceable centers.

    We're not assuming we can afford CP3, we know we can afford him next year with Billups and Turiaf coming off of the books. Whether he forces a trade or not remains to be seen.

    You're all over the place Red. You're operating with some misinformation, maybe that's why you haven't been making much sense. Usually you're a little better than this.

  6. #51
    Superstar nuckles2k2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,172
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    People....we're over last year's cap with only 10 players under contract. We're not forgoing any center....we literally can't afford one. And when we can...there will only be centers with 4 years of service who we'd have to pay over $10M to, or we can give all of that money to CP3, and still get some defensive minded centers.

    Why would any team trade DeAndre Jordan or Javale McGee for Billups? Billups' contract can only be used as cap relief in a trade that the other team really doesn't want to make, but is forced to. How would that come about? You already know. His contract is only valuable to us, not anyone else. We either use his expiring and let it expire, or trade it to a team losing a franchise player to make the money work. LAC has Mo, Washington has Wall, Atlanta has Teague, I mean....why would Chauncey be moved for any of the center on those teams? This is not a video game where matching salary is the toughest part.

    I seriously think some people on here are misinformed.
    Last edited by nuckles2k2; Jul 19, 2011 at 08:27.

  7. #52
    Member NYallDay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    201
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Why is it ok to assume we can either afford CP3 or trade for him based on a wedding toast?
    - no one is assuming it based on a wedding toast. we're assuming it because chauncy's 14 mil and ronnys 4 mil are coming off (thats alotta $)


    As opposed to assuming we can use whatever means necessary to fill our glaring void?

    Why is it ok to believe we can target a FA a year away after we swung and missed multiple free agents a year away?
    - those 3 clowns knew they wanted to play together all along and for the right reasons because they thought it would lead to winning. CP3 knows he needs to be on a team with other stars in order to compete.

    Why is it ok to witness & acknowledge how atrocious our defense has been for years, but then target a PG and assume we will fix our atrocious defense?
    - as someone said, a center is the last line of defense, yea we need to worry about bynum and gasol ripping our centers up but why shouldnt we worry about drose, rondo, westbrook, wall, derron williams, jj barea, stephen curry (should i go on?.....) ripping our point guard up.
    you do realize a point guard is the most dangerous player on the court because he can get everyone else involved and in rhythm as oppose to a center who only hurts you buy himself (and there arent many tru centers out there anyways)



    People, if we can't afford, or presume to be able to trade anyone NOW, then how can you make an argument we will be able to do so then?

    We assume we have the MLE, as in the op, let's assume we won't know, and go with what we do know.

    We know there are ways to acquire a better center than we have period. The only hang up is whether that center cuts into money (reserved) for next year. A year when we assume we can afford one player? And if said player is gotten we'll still need a center?
    - y is no one understanding what nuckles is saying? we're NOT CUTTING INTO our reserved $, we're practically giving it all away because there is NO CENTER WE CAN GET FOR A CHEAP! You think we're the only team with the MLE and a need for a center? Big men come at a premium.


    Thatks mind boggling.

    We are under the cap. We have expiring contracts. We just drafted a pg, an athletic/defensive one at that.
    - An unproven PG who hasnt stepped on a professional court

    Stop the we can't afford sh*t. We can or be creative.
    Really Billups is our key- CP3'ers know this like everyone.

    If we don't sign a viable C, and Shump produces, I'll trade Billups for one of those expensive centers anyday.

    Maybe even offer a sign and trade before the season starts- that's how desperate our situation is. Not only to fill this void, but to be able to develop chemistry as well...

    Unlike most MOA'ers, I. Clearly remember all the convienient excuses presented.

    Incomplete team
    We have no center
    We have no depth
    Blah blah blah...
    - you conveniently forgot to point out the one excuse which was actually true....we sucked cuz our point guard was chris duhon!
    Well here's your chance. No excuses.

  8. #53
    TYPE-A Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,308
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    Dude, we don't know about the MLE because there is no CBA...so there are no moves to make because teams can't contract with players they're not allowed to speak to. Once we do have a CBA, we will know if there's an MLE or not and go from there.
    You
    We are not under the cap....we're $2M over last year's cap, without resigning Shawne, or having Shumpert's money on the books which is why we have the MLE this year. We can't afford a center that you want this year, we can afford one next year....but all the unrestricted ones will be gone. The good FA centers next year are restricted, which means we have to give them CP3 money to get them. Or you can get CP3 and still get serviceable centers.

    We're not assuming we can afford CP3, we know we can afford him next year with Billups and Turiaf coming off of the books. Whether he forces a trade or not remains to be seen.

    You're all over the place Red. You're operating with some misinformation, maybe that's why you haven't been making much sense. Usually you're a little better than this.
    We're @ $60mil with ten players not knowing the cap plus holds for our rookies

    All the more reason to trade. Everyone but Stat & Melo is expendable.

  9. #54
    Superstar nuckles2k2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,172
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by Red
    We're @ $60mil with ten players not knowing the cap plus holds for our rookies

    All the more reason to trade. Everyone but Stat & Melo is expendable.
    A trade with who? And who are the pieces?

    We're already over the cap so rookie cap holds don't matter, you can exceed the cap to sign rookies. A trade with a team for a 7' legit center of the caliber you want, for a mid-30s PG, and some pieces is a lot less likely than us getting CP3 or Dwight. I think you know that.

  10. #55
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,487
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    People still don't seem to understand....that if the new CBA permits it...and there's still an MLE...and if Paul wants to be here and doesn't sign an extension for anyone else (because no team is going to trade assets for a guy with rights to walk) we'll BE ABLE TO GET THE SAME CENTERS THAT WE CAN ACQUIRE NOW WITH THE MLE, BE IT SPLITTING IT BETWEEN TWO, OR GIVING IT ALL TO ONE.

    None of the centers, 2-14 are available for the same exact reason a bunch of people on this board wants them...they're good and they're valuable...but they're either under long term contract or are expensive free agents...be it restricted or unrestricted. If the CBA prevents us from getting CP3, then where would the money for one of those guys come from? Cause to pry a restricted FA center away from his team....you'd have to give him the $14-16M that you would be giving CP3. All of the unrestricted FA's, Chandler, Sammy D, and Nene are up for contract this year....not next....when we have the money to spend. No one is taking our "assets" for any of their centers unless it's Dwight forcing his way here by not signing an extension for anyone else.

    God damn man...here we go again, it was the same thing with the Melo situation. I feel like a broken record. People telling me that there are better offers elsewhere and I keep saying "if dude wants to be here, he'll be here because the Knicks are the last team Denver can get a deal with and the only ones if he won't put pen to paper for someone else." I'm told how wrong I am and ****...until every other deal for Melo falls thru, and we get him...

    One more time. We can't afford any center FA's this year, restricted or otherwise. All we can do this year is get a Kwame Brown, or Przybilla type guy. No one is trading Horford or Javale McGee to us, that's more of a pipedream than a dude who actually wants to be here and has the power to make it happen.

    Ok...follow along....the restricted FA centers will only leave their teams next year if offered a contract that their team refuses to match. That means an outlandish amount of money, like the $34M contract Portland gave to a second year, second round pick Wesley Matthews. Utah said "the ****???? you guys can have him for that coin" now hindsight being 20/20, they probably should have kept him...but everyone was shocked by that deal. The Knicks would have to do something similar to pry Javale away from Washington....that means giving him all $14-15M that we would be looking to give to CP3, and there's still no guarantee that Washington doesn't match it and keep him. (like Orlando did with Reddick)

    So what happens if we don't get Javale, or....Asik? I dunno who people are even targeting. But say we don't get one of those guys....who do we go to? Available, veteran, MLE type centers. Now....if there's still an MLE, why would you rather give that guy(s) a contract under the cap...as opposed to giving CP3 the money you have to spend, and then getting your center with the MLE? Now you have the center you were always gonna get, and you have your PG of the future.

    If the cap is so restricting to the point where we can't give CP3 his money next summer, then we're not getting Javale McGee...cause it would require the same money.

    This is simply a matter of: would you rather have CP3 on your roster and have a rotation of centers on your team, or have Javale McGee and a question mark at the helm of your team?

    People seem to think that getting CP3 hamstrings us in some way, but then they bring up guys under contract, at a position where upper echelon talent is scarce...and they seem to think that we're trading Billups, Fields, a ham sandwich, and a reach around for a legit top ten center. And they'd rather hold onto that hope and dream, as opposed to having CP3, Joel Przybilla, Jeff Foster, and Jorts.

    Knicks fans......What. The. ****?

    Is it a lack of knowledge of the salary cap type stuff, or what? Cause this **** is getting ridiculous.

    Only in NYC would a fan of a team with Carmelo Anthony and Amar'e Stoudemire say some **** like "CP3 and servicable centers? nah....gimme that unavailable *****....that's how you win rings."
    The main argument from my side is that we don't need 3 stars. We need to address our main issue; size, and depth. Has anyone claimed that there are better offers available? No. Perhaps ones that are more realistic, but not better. But better is a loaded word in this case, because the terms in which we discern our future aren't solidified.

    Considering the size of your rant, there are too many ifs to satisfy the pallet of those you wish to impress, or those you wish to gainsay. None of us know what's going to happen with the new CBA, but any form of leniency therein seems remote at best. Are we really clinging on to Paul's resilience in signing nowhere but here? None of us can claim to know that, can we? So why hedge our bets upon it?

    I've only ever said that I don't think we NEED CP3. I am advocating a traditional 2 star, heavy front court, prototypical contending roster, in which salaries are dispersed throughout a versatile, deep and capable team. I don't agree that's any less of a likelihood than signing Chris Paul. More of a likelihood considering league interest in players of his caliber.

    If, via some astrological miracle, the league installs a flex cap with no roll backs on salaries, does not subtract the MLE and, basically, does a 180 degree turn on its current terms/overall stance, I'm not foolish enough to say that it wouldn't be brilliant to have him as our PG. But there's every chance that this debate may not harbour any merit whatsoever, when we suddenly discover that the CBA pushes Paul, even the idea of a 3rd high salary player, out of any and all discussion in NY, with a hard/low cap.

    I understand, at least at an appropriate level, the workings of the former cap. The MLE is a misnomer in any finger pointing or equating at the moment. From the impressions given thus far by the league, I'm basically erring on the side of caution in my deliberation.

    When it comes to the Paul situation, perhaps there's something I'm not taking in to account or am mistaken in below?

    I understand that N.O will be looking to trade Paul before his free agency begins. I also understand that the Hornets are owned by the league. Will that have any adverse repercussions on the scenario? Are we a likelihood as an attractive option in that scenario? Or, again, are we so confident that he'll have a tantrum unless he's given what he wants? That, of course, being NY? Can't say I'm an expert on any of those points, but I would never claim to be, given that I can't predict the outcome.

  11. #56
    Member knicksman20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    155
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Originally Posted by ronoranina
    Idt you need a big 3 to win, but it's a good friggin start..

    And Perk contributed, no doubt, but we both know why the Celts won it.
    They won because they were a tremendous defense team that year & probably the best that year. You had KG & Perk patrolling the paint if the perimeter defense failed. Perk showed he could more than hold his own against all other centers in the league.

  12. #57
    Superstar nuckles2k2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,172
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    I understand Crazy, I get it. My deliberation is based on the assumption that the league incorporates a better revenue sharing model and the salary cap situation stays relatively the same, since the imbalance in competition didn't have so much to do with the cap itself as much as it did with small market teams not being able to afford the same luxuries as big market teams. Fix that issue, and everything else should fall into place. The only problem is convincing owners like Dolan and the Buss family to share their revenue with the Maloof's and whoever owns the Bucks.

    Contracts aren't getting rolled back, and I doubt if there will be a hard cap. But if there is one, it'll be at a higher number than last year's cap. Higher than the old cap, but lower than the luxury tax territory.

    Paul doesn't have to throw a tantrum to get what he wants. It's a business and this is precisely why players have walk years. CC has the same thing with the Yanks. He can terminate his contract and ask for more money, or go elsewhere. If Paul refuses to sign the extension for his current team, but is willing to sign it for someone else...well chances are he'll end up there. It's not up to New Orleans, unless they watch him walk and get nothing. Whether or not the NBA would make that deal happen? I dunno, but remember, they did place Donnie Walsh here....they have a vested interest in seeing large market teams do well (the main reason why small market teams are furious.)

    But all that aside, it doesn't change our current situation. There's no money to spend. It's literally that simple. And when the new CBA is ratified sometime this fall/winter, we'll know if there's an MLE or not and adjust accordingly.

    But there seems to be a sentiment on the boards that we're either passing up on a big this year, can trade for one, or get one next year...and those are all reaches. New CBA or not.

    And if there's a MLE in the new CBA...we can get Paul if he wants to be here, and get our size and depth too. No we wouldn't be getting Tyson Chandler and Jason Terry, but that wouldn't be necessary because we wouldn't be building around one star, we'd be building around 3.

    Let's say CP3 comes as a FA next year and there's an MLE. We let Rautins walk, resign Derrick Brown (if he plays well this season....if he plays this season), sign CP3, sign a center to the MLE (hopefully Przybilla doesn't get a long term deal this year), sign Jerome Jordan if we haven't already, get some vet min contracts. Maybe trade Douglas if we haven't already. We're good.

    If there is no MLE next year, we're probably gonna try to bring Billups back or go after Beno or someone serviceable, go after a center (still gonna be a Przybilla type guy) and that's already gonna be like $9-11M of the money we have to spend. Resign Derrick, bring Jerome over, there's another $2.5-3M...and now we have like a million bucks to get a vet min guy. This scenario should only take place if there's no MLE. If we forgo Dwight or CP3 for this ^^^^ they should disband the team.

  13. #58
    Superstar nuckles2k2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,172
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by knicksman20
    They won because they were a tremendous defense team that year & probably the best that year. You had KG & Perk patrolling the paint if the perimeter defense failed. Perk showed he could more than hold his own against all other centers in the league.
    You forgot the 39 year old, vet min, PJ Brown.

  14. #59
    Member keyser soze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    bay area, california
    Posts
    391
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    If we forgo Dwight or CP3 for this ^^^^ they should disband the team.
    As long as James Dolan is our owner, there is absolutely zero chance that we will go this route voluntarily. We've sacrificed so much over the last 3 seasons to get to where we are now, and barring insurmountable restrictions in the new CBA, we will absolutely TRY to finish the job and add a 3rd max. I just can't imagine Dolan not TRYING to land a 3rd max player IF it is feasible.

    Now, we have no control over A) the creation of new rules that may prevent us from taking on a 3rd max contract, OR B) New Orleans trading CP3 to a team with a far better package than anything we would have to offer and then that team convincing him to sign a long term extension (Unfortunately, this is my best guess as to what is actually going to happen).

  15. #60
    Veteran STAT1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,361
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s
    Unbelievable. "We'll just sign Chris Paul and the rest will fall in to place". I had no idea it was so easy to be GM when all we need is a little blind faith.
    I don't think that's the Knicks' braintrust's mindset right now. I think they just don't want to kill any flexibility that they would have next summer so at least they're able to be players in free agency for the big names. This is no different than the summer of 2010. The Knicks will keep their options open & hope that at least 1 of the big names will end up signing with them. In 2010 the Knicks landed STAT by keeping their flexibility do make a big signing. Same situation applies now. They don't want to pass up a chance to sign guys like CP3, Deron, Dwight, Nash, etc. next summer by taking on any big longterm contracts right now. I think anyone who's been following this team for the past few years should already know this. I don't think the Knicks' management thinks that just by landing CP3 that they everything else will just fall into place. The Miami Heat showed this year that just having 3 superstars doesn't guarantee you a championship. The Knicks will still have to build a team around their 3 stars next summer even if they do land a big talent. The point is not to sacrifice their options next summer by taking on any big salary now, because there really isn't any worthwhile talent that the Knicks can realistically acquire with the trade chips they have to offer.

Similar Threads

  1. Playoff Thread
    By Kiyaman in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 270
    Last Post: Jun 18, 2010, 12:37
  2. We have to draft a Center
    By Paul1355 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: May 27, 2010, 19:40
  3. Knicks mull Brad Miller at center
    By LJ4ptplay in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: Apr 29, 2010, 15:45
  4. Daily News: Thomas the true Center
    By KnickFan2080 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Aug 21, 2007, 01:47
  5. The Centers Thread
    By torres in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Aug 14, 2004, 16:21

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •