How far could we have gotten in the post-season if it wasn't injuries?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I'm gonna be bold in saying Eastern Conference Finals, and maybe even Finals. The match-ups would have been there imo. The Bulls would have been very tough. We have beaten them at least twice last season (don't think more than that). The Heat weren't amazing in the Playoffs (though they won two games in the Finals).

Second round maybe just off how offensively gifted we could've been. But still we didn't play nearly good enough defense even when healthy to go very far. And not enough production outside of our big 3 of Billups, Amare, Melo.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Fields disappeared on us...rookie wall, probably.

I think if Toney Douglas and Chauncey were healthy and Amar'e didn't get hurt in practice, we could've gotten to the second round. I still didn't think the chemistry was there to get us to the conference finals.

Sage

Rotation player
I would love to think we would have gotten past Boston and Miami, but I still don't see us passing the Celtics even if we had our best available lineup, it would have gone to at least 6 games though.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Maybe we could have won 1 game against Celtics. Altough I still think that we would get swept.

As if. How quickly do we forget the circumstances of game 1? Billups out and that ****ing trip by Gaynett. If Billups was on the floor in the waning 4th, our entire offence would have been a tall task even for Boston's D.

At least to game 7 of the first.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Crazy⑧s;184582 said:
As if. How quickly do we forget the circumstances of game 1? Billups out and that ****ing trip by Gaynett. If Billups was on the floor in the waning 4th, our entire offence would have been a tall task even for Boston's D.

At least to game 7 of the first.

Agreed.
After watching some knicks games after the Melo Trade, we had a fairly decent chance of winning against Beantown. The core group of STAT and Carmelo has a lot of potential evidenced by blowout games against some teams after just a few games playing together, and that big win against Miami. :)

nyk_nyk

All Star
Agreed.
After watching some knicks games after the Melo Trade, we had a fairly decent chance of winning against Beantown. The core group of STAT and Carmelo has a lot of potential evidenced by blowout games against some teams after just a few games playing together, and that big win against Miami. :)

I'd say we might have got 1 or 2 games against BOS but no way we win that series even if fully healthy. Not a BOS fan but lets not act like they aren't one of the top teams.

knickscity

Benchwarmer
I don't think we would have won the series against Boston.......

But there is no way we don't win either or both of games 1 and 2 in Boston.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Honestly Game 1 we got screwed by Garnett tripping Toney Douglas and Game 2 Carmelo basically almost beat the Celtics by himself.

I think we could've stretched it to 6 or 7 and maybe the second round but our lack of rebounding would've caught up to us eventually. Really, game 2 should've been ours - Knicks had 20 (!) offensive rebounds and outrebounded the Celtics 53-37, that game should have been ours, but we shot TERRIBLY (Bill Walker 0-11, TD 5-16).

Games 3 and 4 are just things I'd rather forget.

Still a first round exit. The chemistry wasn't there, as we had witnessed in the latter stages of the regular season. We had no center and no shooting guard. Yes, a healthy Billups and a healthy STAT could and most definitely would have made a difference, but I'd say 2-4 (winning 2 games) is the maximum we could have done.

petescud

Starter
my thoughts too

Fields disappeared on us...rookie wall, probably.

I think if Toney Douglas and Chauncey were healthy and Amar'e didn't get hurt in practice, we could've gotten to the second round. I still didn't think the chemistry was there to get us to the conference finals.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Let's not forget that even if we had a healthy team, MDA was still calling the plays so chances are we wouldn't have advanced anyway.

If "If" was a fifth we would all be a drunken mess.

If Landry wasn't defering (watching the Stat, Mello and Billups show) in the second half of the season we could have made it much further...

If TD, STAT, Turiuf, and Billups wasn't hurt we could have made it further.

If there was more cohesion/gelling in the line up... we could have made it much further.

If the coach used his bench more and gave his starters more rest time...we could have went further.

If the coach understood the importance of Defense we could have probably made it to the big dance.

knickscity

Benchwarmer
If "If" was a fifth we would all be a drunken mess.

If Landry wasn't defering (watching the Stat, Mello and Billups show) in the second half of the season we could have made it much further...

If TD, STAT, Turiuf, and Billups wasn't hurt we could have made it further.

If there was more cohesion/gelling in the line up... we could have made it much further.

If the coach used his bench more and gave his starters more rest time...we could have went further.

If the coach understood the importance of Defense we could have probably made it to the big dance.
It's an "if" thread, you had to know what to expect.

p0nder

Starter
I think we would of beat Boston with a healthy Amar'e and Billups. Amar'e couldn't be stopped by boston. They got lucky with the back injury. Billups was the only true point guard on our team last season and without him our offense struggled a lot.

Defensively we were actually pretty good aside from the few costly mistakes (lob to KG). We held them under 100 points. Only Ray Allen's shooting saved them as Fields could not close out the best shooter in the game. There were 2 games we would of won with the injuries were it not for poor officiating. There's no doubt in my mind that with Amar'e and Billups in the lineup we would have beaten boston in 6 or 7 and had a shot to go to the ECF's, where we may have lost to Miami (being realistic) as their team had an extra 60 games or more to get cohesion. Chicago was not much of a challenge for us last year and I think we match up well with them.

Of course it's all speculation and pie in the sky. Injuries happen and the team needs to rise above it. You saw what melo could do on his own but the rest of the team just did not rise to the occasion. I suspect that this years team (if there is a team this year) will be much different and improved over last seasons squad.