Fantasy GM -- Give me the team you would've put together for next year and why
5 - Marcus Cousin (bargin FA carryover from last year - I would've nabbed this guy before Utah or Houston ever got their hands on him - this is the big we should've gotten at the deadline instead of Jeffries--well before the deadline even. Talent-wise, Cousin's a starting 5 in the NBA. There's no question in my mind. At the very least, he'd be a great backup 5 provided we came up with something better eventually)
4 - STAT
3 - Melo
2 - Fields
1 - Billups
Dwayne Jones (bargin FA pickup -- size & rebounding)
DeShawn Sims (bargin FA pickup -- inside/outside scoring with some rebounding and upside)
Jamelle Horne (bargin undrafted FA pickup -- athleticism and outside shooting)
Marshon Brooks (my pick at 17 -- rediculous firepower off the bench, tremendous upside)
Ben Hansbrough (the player I would've targeted in the 2nd round over Jorts Harrellson - Jimmer Fredette clone with better strength & PG skills - A Mike D'Antoni player if I ever saw one)
Jeff Adrien (bargin FA pickup - just cut loose by the GS Warriors -- toughness and rebounding)
Matt Bouldin (bargin FA pickup -- smarts, toughness, additional outside shooting/ballhandling/great passer)
• Shawne Williams would not have been asked back. I have a feeling he will ask for too much money coming off the good, career-reviving year. And good for him man, he deserves it -- I just know for a fact I could fill that role for cheaper (much less than $1M say--I can't picture Williams asking for less than that per year) and probably even get a better player out of it to boot.
• Bill Walker would not have been asked back.
• Derrick Brown's QO would not have been picked up or it would have only to package him in a trade later (see below).
• The rights to Jerome Jordan & Andy Rautins (possibly with Derrick Brown) would all be traded for a future 1st round pick (preferably in 2012 where we currently don't own one).
• I would work on trading Toney Douglas and Balkman for an additional pick. I'd then fill those spots with better players for much cheaper -- Tim Abromaitis as a reserve 3; Curtis Jerrells or Curtis Stinson as a 3rd PG...Douglas may be one player I look to trade to NO for Chris Paul eventually. If dealing Balkman proves impossible, I'd orchestrate a buy-out to open up the roster spot if the need arises.
• Granted, there would've been a noticeable lack of NBA experience on that 2nd unit in this scenario (and at starting 5) but the overall talent and fit would've outweighed any lack of experience for me. All of these guys can play and would've fit perfectly. Still more than enough leadership around with STAT, Melo, Billups and Turiaf..Not to mention it would've keep costs way down, allowing me maximum cap room to make a legit run at a top 2012 FA or two. Also, it would've created quite a nice pool of young, inexpensive talent, all players with real solid upside, that should appeal to any team looking to make a deal eventually -- it would give us some nice instant assets (and it would've been my goal to play and develop most of these guys right away so they get to show their worth)..Some we keep, some might have to go in a trade for that big piece eventually (I still continue to see Chris Paul as the guy for us).
Last edited by finestrg; Jul 21, 2011 at 11:52.
The Ultimate Off Season
C Nene- Signs for the MLE 4 yr deal
F Stoudemire- of course
F Anthony- why not
G Brown- Shannon signs for the bi annual exception 3 yr deal
G Paul- trade Fields Billups Douglas Rautins a 1st and cash
F Martin- Kenyon joins Nene CA and CB4 for the vets minimum
You're dreaming bro if you think that's possible. Especially Nene signing for the MLE
Yeah man but how sick would that be
Originally Posted by Rob Low