Rank your current top 10 point guards.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Top 5:
CP3
D Rose
D Williams (can easily be #2)
Rondo (His ability to control the game without a Jumper puts him here)
Westbrook (Great talent but still lacks IQ)

Bottom 5:
Nash
Kidd
Parker
B Davis (When healthy he's still a beast)
Billups

---> Curry and Wall are the future but can't put them above any of these players just yet.

TakMan

Rotation player
1. Chauncey Billups
Not the fastest, strongest or most athletic. But solid.

This has nothing to do with an attempt to provoke a reaction from Trillion does it?

I like Billups but he aint top 10.

Nash has to be number 1 for me. Best PG to watch on the floor still. Best pass in the league and can elevate his team when needed far more consistently than any other PG mentioned.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Top 5:
CP3
D Rose
D Williams (can easily be #2)
Rondo (His ability to control the game without a Jumper puts him here)
Westbrook (Great talent but still lacks IQ)

Bottom 5:
Nash
Kidd
Parker
B Davis (When healthy he's still a beast)
Billups

---> Curry and Wall are the future but can't put them above any of these players just yet.
I actually forget about B. Davis even though I'm a fan of him. I was looking at videos of him during the weekend with the Cavs. One of the most exciting players in the league when healthy.

metrocard

Legend
Tier 1
Chris Paul
Derrick Rose
Deron Williams

Tier 2
Wall
Westbrook(overrated, not a great man to man defender, chucker, limited range...elite athlete but needs to refine his game, plays too wild)
Nash
Kidd

Tier 3
Ty Lawson(so underrated, should of been a Knick)
Parker
Rondo (so overrated, he's an athletic Brevin Knight)

Tier 4
Curry
Conley
Felton

Tier 5
Billups
Jrue Holliday
Andre Miller

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Tier 1
Chris Paul
Derrick Rose
Deron Williams

Tier 2
Wall
Westbrook(overrated, not a great man to man defender, chucker, limited range...elite athlete but needs to refine his game, plays too wild)
Nash
Kidd

Tier 3
Ty Lawson(so underrated, should of been a Knick)
Parker
Rondo (so overrated, he's an athletic Brevin Knight)

Tier 4
Curry
Conley
Felton

Tier 5
Billups
Jrue Holliday
Andre Miller
I'd put Jrue in your Tier 4 category since you have Curry there.

knickscity

Benchwarmer
How the reigning MVP, who is also a PG, is not #1 on everyone's list is beyond me.
He isn't number 1 because EVERYTHING Rose does, CP3 does it better.

And in some aspects it isn't even close.

CP3 is the prototype guard, who can adjust his game to suit any roster.

If Rose isn't scoring, honestly he isn't even 10 imo.

The Bulls success was not all Derrick Rose.

I didn't think he earned MVP, that could a thread all by itself.

knicksman20

Benchwarmer
top 10 PGs since i've been watching hoops:

1. Magic
2. Isiah
3. Stockton
4. J Kidd
5. Payton
6. Nash
7. CP3
8. Derrick Rose
9. Deron Williams
10. Tim Hardaway/Mark Jackson (both deserve recognition)

(Yes, I know Clyde, Cousy, Archibald & the Big O deserve to be on this list, but I'm just ranking guys I've actually seen play)

No love for KJ Kevin Johnson of the Phoenix Suns?

nyk_nyk

All Star
A stat-padding goof who isn't defended and plays with three hall of famers and other guys who can hit shots.

Wow so because guys can hit shots (because he puts them in great positions to score) you use that as a negative against him???

"A stat-padding goof" - You've made some good comments in the past but this has to be the dumbest thing you've ever said on this site.

He's a PG so getting assists is his job.
He's very active in chasing down rebounds which is a plus for ANY PG.
He's quick to the basket and can finish very well with both hands

That there is a stat-padding goof everyone would love to have.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Wow so because guys can hit shots (because he puts them in great positions to score) you use that as a negative against him???

"A stat-padding goof" - You've made some good comments in the past but this has to be the dumbest thing you've ever said on this site.

He's a PG so getting assists is his job.
He's very active in chasing down rebounds which is a plus for ANY PG.
He's quick to the basket and can finish very well with both hands

That there is a stat-padding goof everyone would love to have.
He does stat-pad, and he is a goof. However I never said he's a bad player. He's incredibly overrated.

He passes up lay-ups to pass. He's pass first because he's that bad at shots. He couldn't be a chucker if he wanted to. Not saying he would be if could shoot, you get my point.

My thing with him is who is he really making better? I'm not denying he doesn't give his teammates open looks. Does he make players BETTER? Watching guys like Nash, Paul, etc. shows really who makes players better. I don't think Ray Allen, Garnett, and Pierce and Glen Davis need help with scoring.

If Rondo was anywhere near as good as people hyped him up to be that core would have won more than one championship.

If you put Jrue Holiday on that team instead of Rondo I bet they'd be significantly better. Put Rondo on the Sixers and they'd be significantly worse.

I couldn't care less about how many assists in a game he has. Assist stats aren't always the best way to judge a player. I watch what they're DOING to judge.

He did a great job in the post-season last year. Last season, he did not impress me.

Again, while I dislike him and the love he gets, I'm not calling him trash. He's WAY overrated.

metrocard

Legend
He does stat-pad, and he is a goof. However I never said he's a bad player. He's incredibly overrated.

He passes up lay-ups to pass. He's pass first because he's that bad at shots. He couldn't be a chucker if he wanted to. Not saying he would be if could shoot, you get my point.

My thing with him is who is he really making better? I'm not denying he doesn't give his teammates open looks. Does he make players BETTER? Watching guys like Nash, Paul, etc. shows really who makes players better. I don't think Ray Allen, Garnett, and Pierce and Glen Davis need help with scoring.

If Rondo was anywhere near as good as people hyped him up to be that core would have won more than one championship.

If you put Jrue Holiday on that team instead of Rondo I bet they'd be significantly better. Put Rondo on the Sixers and they'd be significantly worse.

I couldn't care less about how many assists in a game he has. Assist stats aren't always the best way to judge a player. I watch what they're DOING to judge.

He did a great job in the post-season last year. Last season, he did not impress me.

Again, while I dislike him and the love he gets, I'm not calling him trash. He's WAY overrated.

Exactly.....

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Good players make their teams better.

The Phoenix Suns went from horrible to amazing because Steve Nash is just THAT good, he elevates the level of play of his teammates and that's why he's one of the best PGs in the game. Same with Chris Paul - his passing allows David West to put up all-star like stats.

Rondo is a good player but I don't know if I'd put him in that category just yet.

STAT1

Starter
No love for KJ Kevin Johnson of the Phoenix Suns?

He definitely deserves an honorable mention. I'm sure I could come up with a lot of other guys right on the cusp of making that top 10 list. Steve Francis & as loathe as I am to say it, Stephon Marbury are among them.

knickscity

Benchwarmer
Assists are a good way to judge a PG though, which should be one facet they should excel in, and the main area a fan should look.

And what he is DOING is setting up his team mates for easy ways to score on offense.

And on defense he is getting a very good amount of steals and rebounds.

Personally I could care less that Rondo can't shoot, because he usually just takes the high % shot anyway.....a driving layup.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Assists are a good way to judge a PG though, which should be one facet they should excel in, and the main area a fan should look.

And what he is DOING is setting up his team mates for easy ways to score on offense.

And on defense he is getting a very good amount of steals and rebounds.

Personally I could care less that Rondo can't shoot, because he usually just takes the high % shot anyway.....a driving layup.
This brings me to one of my reasons for not caring about his assists totals. I know he finds his teammates open and everything. To me, teams are way too worried about Garnett, Allen, and Pierce, which allows Rondo to get to do a lot more. In the 2008-2009 season I was watching the Nets play them, they literally let him go to the basket with ease. I didn't understand it at all. It wasn't even like another Celtic was on fire.

The same thing happened in the Playoffs with us. The commentating was brutal. They kept saying he was so great around the basket and all, but it was the horrible defense. When Anthony Carter FINALLY got his chance, Rondo couldn't do squat against him.

To me, it is good to not defend Rondo a lot, you also have not give their big three that kind of respect anymore. They're good, but they're not that good now.

He's gets those high percentage shots not because of his great scoring prowess, he gets them because he's wide open. He gets those assist totals because he'd be taken out of the game if he tried much of anything else.