Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 teams next year

Veteran

Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    How would the Knicks NOT be a top-5 team in the east? We finished 2 games behind the Hawks when we had huge roster changes mid-season...give us Carmelo and Amar'e and Billups together for an entire year and there's no way we finish any worse than 4th.

We still have the Dantoni-brothers on our coaching-staff.....
    Dantoni & Billups are oil & water.....Billups made sure rookie
    PG-Ty Lawson received decent playingtime minutes running
    the point in Denver for two seasons. The first time TD received
    decent playintime minutes running the point in 2 seasons was
    when Billups became a Knicks.
    Recall....Billups was publically verbal on Detroit headcoach Larry
    Brown losing the FINALS by using the "Starters" above 40 minutes
    in the series vs the Spurs. That is Dantoni's dum coaching philosophy too.

Heat (East)
    Thunder (West)
    Lakers
    Celtics
    Spurs

Yes, we need more defense to be a contender. Just getting a defensive big does not make us a contender, a TRUE contender. We also need depth. We have none. Billups (or CP3), Melo and Amare + a bunch of minimum salary players (defensive or not) is not enough. So look for us to be a 4th seed (maybe 3rd seed) 2nd round playoff exit for many years to come unless both of these issues are addressed.

Veteran

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Marek
    Miami - more of the same
    OKC - I predict they'll make that jump next season
    Chicago - still badass, but still flawed
    Dallas - why not? if Chandler's still there, look out.
    Lakers - the clock is ticking, and Mike Brown is a wild card. But it's still the Lakers.

The Grizzlies aren't there yet. If I owned stock in Zach Randolph Inc, I'd be selling NOW while it's at its peak. Never again will he look as good as he did in the 2011 Playoffs. Rudy Gay is coming back, but with my expectations of Randolph sliding, there will be a lot of roles being shuffled around.

I was very, very close to putting the Blazers ahead of the Lakers. We'll see if Felton can excite that offense. I don't think he'll have to speed things up, but rather add smart playmaking and offensive firepower to their natural halfcourt tendencies. But it's a nice option to have him running outlets with Gerald Wallace and Wes Matthews. Portland will be scary.

Good points....I had put the Portland Blazers 4th seeded above Mavs (Butler injury still healing) with Blazers having a full season of Gerald Wallace, but when they traded Andre Miller creativity for a noncreative PG-Felton I had to drop the Blazers to put the hungry-Grizz or Mavs as the 4th/5th seeded west team.
    The Bulls top winning record lastseason was all good their team-chemistry is better than the Magic/ Hawks/ Knicks, but still lack the high potential of the Heat & Celtics jellin-chemistry. Bulls are a 3rd seeded team in the East untill they can find the right starting SG to blend with PG-Rose.

Heat (East) #1
    Thunder (West) #1
    Lakers #2 (last-chance)
    Celtics #2 (last-chance)
    Spurs #3 (Parker/Ginobli/Duncan/ and coach Pop strategy)

Veteran

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Yes, we need more defense to be a contender. Just getting a defensive big does not make us a contender, a TRUE contender. We also need depth. We have none. Billups (or CP3), Melo and Amare + a bunch of minimum salary players (defensive or not) is not enough. So look for us to be a 4th seed (maybe 3rd seed) 2nd round playoff exit for many years to come unless both of these issues are addressed.

Another good point......the Heat's dynamic, the Celtics chemistry,
    and the Bulls defensive-animation has the 1, 2, and 3 seeds lock-down
    in the East.

Amare & Melo will give the Knicks a winning regular season with an
    above 500 record.....the Knicks Postseason wins will all depend on how
    well the Knicks team follow PG-Chuancy Billups (player/coach) leadership.

Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    but when they traded Andre Miller creativity for a noncreative PG-Felton I had to drop the Blazers to put the hungry-Grizz or Mavs as the 4th/5th seeded west team.
    I strongly disagree with you on Miller/Felton.

Miller may be a smarter playmaker, but that advantage is dulled more and more by his age and slowing body. Felton is no slouch as a distributor, and has the firepower to contribute on offense himself. Getting Felton was a HUGE coup for the Trailblazers.

Veteran

Originally Posted by Marek
    I strongly disagree with you on Miller/Felton.

Miller may be a smarter playmaker, but that advantage is dulled more and more by his age and slowing body. Felton is no slouch as a distributor, and has the firepower to contribute on offense himself. Getting Felton was a HUGE coup for the Trailblazers.

The only good thing Felton got going for him on the Blazers is ex-teammate Gelrald Wallace,
    plus Felton picked up a few moves with
    C/F-Amare to coordinate with C/F-Aldridge.
    If Roy is healthy to give the Blazers a better season than lastseason,
    Felton's talent will look good.

Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    The only good thing Felton got going for him on the Blazers is ex-teammate Gelrald Wallace,
    plus Felton picked up a few moves with
    C/F-Amare to coordinate with C/F-Aldridge.
    If Roy is healthy to give the Blazers a better season than lastseason,
    Felton's talent will look good.
    Damn, the Blazers are looking good. Especially with Roy and Oden back.

Originally Posted by knickscity
    4)Dallas deserves this spot although, and I would have put them higher, but I just don't think their defense is championship quality.
    Your joking right?

THEY WON THE CHAMPIONSHIP!!

Originally Posted by nyk_nyk
    Your joking right?

They won the championship with exceptional defense, too.

Ill take this a little bit further and go with the following

East

1. Heat
    2. Chicago
    3. Celtics
    4. Magic
    5. Knicks
    6. Hawks
    7. 76rs
    8. Wizards

West

1. Oklahoma City
    2. LAL
    3. Dallas
    4. Spurs
    5. Grizzlies
    6. Blazers
    7. Hornets
    8. Nuggets

East playoffs

Rnd 1
    Heat vs Wizards 4-1 HEAT
    Chicago vs 76rs 4-2 Chicago
    Celtics vs Hawks 4-3 Celtics
    Magic vs Knicks 4-3 Knicks

Rnd 2
    Heat vs Knicks 4-2 Heat
    Chicago vs Celtics 4-3 Celtics

Rnd 3
    Heat vs Celtics 4-2 Heat

West

Rnd 1
    OKC vs Nuggets 4-2 OKC
    LAL vs Hornets 4-2 LAL
    Dal vs Blazers 4-2 Dal
    Spurs vs Grizz 4-2 Spurs

Rnd 2
    OKC vs Spurs 4-2 OKC
    LAL vs Dal 4-3 LAL

Rnd 3
    OKC vs LAL 4-3 LAL

Finals

MIA vs LAL

4-3

LAL.

I think some of you guys are overrating the Celtics. Although they swept us in the playoffs, their record after the Perkins trade was about .500 and they didn't look very good against the Heat. They're getting older too. They're still a playoff team but I see them slipping quite a bit next year.

I can't rank the Knicks until I see the other pieces we get. If we just get a bunch of minimum salary guys on 1 year contracts I don't see us as a very good team either. While we played well towards the end of the season, many of those wins were against some really bad teams. We'll be battling the Celtics and Sixers for the top spot in the Atlantic, which I guess equates to anything from a 4th seed to 7th seed.

Originally Posted by nyk_nyk
    Your joking right?

I think their offense had alot to do with them winning the championship.

Much moreso than their defense.

EAST:

1. Heat - could reach 60 if it's an 82 game season.
    2. Bulls - won't get past Miami without a second scorer - not Luol Deng.
    3. Magic - pending: there's a lot of talk surrounding D12.
    4. Knicks - circumstantial: dodgy coach + weak front court + STAT's back, Melo's 'bow, Billups entirety. 46 wins in an 82 game season.
    5. Hawks - fight for 5 & 6 between these boys and Boston.
    6. Celtics
    7. Bucks - addition of Stephen Jackson is big. Huge underachievers last year.
    8. Washington - Indiana - 76ers. - Look for these teams to be neck and neck all season. Biggest likelihood for 8th as far as I see it, is Philly. Collins is an epic coach.

Don't have a lot of concern for the West, as I don't see us facing any of its teams in the finals.

● Could be a first round exit for us against either the Hawks or Celtics. Ultimately, our lack of depth up front will be our bane once again, along with our baffling substitutions and pressure play debacles.

It'll be a season long [long perhaps not the word of choice] shifting of positions between us, Atlanta and Boston. Either way, we have to take 4th or 5th for a decent chance at the 2nd round. We do not want to face 2nd seed in the first.

If it's a season of around 50 games, I say we win between 28-33. How that will effect the 8 is beyond me.

● Interested to see what will unfold with Orlando. Howard clearly not happy with the mid-season trade. A lot of payroll for little in return. If they lose Howard, they'll replace us in this new decade as the laughing stock of the league.

● Milwaukee could shock a lot of people this year, and could even push for 6th. Bogut, Cpt. Jack and Jennings is a nasty combo. They also have Udrih which will allow for a 5 of:

5. Bogut
    4. Gooden
    3. Jackson
    2. Jennings
    1. Udrih

Ilyasova, who can ball, apparently wants to leave the league. Could be a heavy blow to the Bucks.

● Heat to the finals again in an ECF match up with Chicago. Depending on who they're facing, they're a top 3 bet to take the trophy. They should trade Bosh for someone who has a pair.

Dylan
    Dylan
    Dylan
    Dylan
    Dylan

I SPIT HOT FIRE!!

Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s
    EAST:

1. Heat - could reach 60 if it's an 82 game season.
    2. Bulls - won't get past Miami without a second scorer - not Luol Deng.
    3. Magic - pending: there's a lot of talk surrounding D12.
    4. Knicks - circumstantial: dodgy coach + weak front court + STAT's back, Melo's 'bow, Billups entirety. 46 wins in an 82 game season.
    5. Hawks - fight for 5 & 6 between these boys and Boston.
    6. Celtics
    7. Bucks - addition of Stephen Jackson is big. Huge underachievers last year.
    8. Washington - Indiana - 76ers. - Look for these teams to be neck and neck all season. Biggest likelihood for 8th as far as I see it, is Philly. Collins is an epic coach.

Don't have a lot of concern for the West, as I don't see us facing any of its teams in the finals.

● Could be a first round exit for us against either the Hawks or Celtics. Ultimately, our lack of depth up front will be our bane once again, along with our baffling substitutions and pressure play debacles.

It'll be a season long [long perhaps not the word of choice] shifting of positions between us, Atlanta and Boston. Either way, we have to take 4th or 5th for a decent chance at the 2nd round. We do not want to face 2nd seed in the first.

If it's a season of around 50 games, I say we win between 28-33. How that will effect the 8 is beyond me.

● Interested to see what will unfold with Orlando. Howard clearly not happy with the mid-season trade. A lot of payroll for little in return. If they lose Howard, they'll replace us in this new decade as the laughing stock of the league.

● Milwaukee could shock a lot of people this year, and could even push for 6th. Bogut, Cpt. Jack and Jennings is a nasty combo. They also have Udrih which will allow for a 5 of:

5. Bogut
    4. Gooden
    3. Jackson
    2. Jennings
    1. Udrih

Ilyasova, who can ball, apparently wants to leave the league. Could be a heavy blow to the Bucks.

● Heat to the finals again in an ECF match up with Chicago. Depending on who they're facing, they're a top 3 bet to take the trophy. They should trade Bosh for someone who has a pair.
    I don't see how Orlando would be ahead of us. I doubt that J-rich will stay there and Turkoglu is not as good as he was when he was first with Orlando.