Melo Taking Hits On ESPN's Fan Voiced Article: 'Who's The Best/Most Overrated SF?'

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Melo Taking Hits On ESPN's Fan Voiced Article: 'Who's The Best/Most Overrated SF?'

Game_80.jpg

3. Who's the most overrated small forward in the NBA?

Isaac Ramirez, via Twitter: Carmelo Anthony. He terrible on defense and doesn't play hard all the time. He's not nearly as efficient as Durant, and is much worse on defense, but there are still people who rank him as No. 2 among SFs.

Tim Donahue, Eight Points, Nine Seconds: This is difficult, but it's probably Carmelo Anthony. He's a great scorer, and one of the best late-game options in the league, but too many people reflexively put him top 5-10 in the league, when top 20-25 is more accurate. And, yes, there is that big of a gap between top 5 and top 25.

Patrick Hayes, Piston Powered: I don't want to pile on Carmelo Anthony, a player I generally love to watch work on offense. But the problem is, to this point of his career, 'Melo impacts the game only at one end. That puts him a notch below superstars like James, Wade and Bryant, who all became great defensive players as well as offensive forces.

Brendan Jackson, Celtics Hub: Somewhere between Los Angeles and Houston, Trevor Ariza was made to be a "go-to" small forward. While his contributions on the defensive end are well documented, his offensive numbers are nowhere near good enough to be a third banana on a playoff team.

Kyle Weidie, Truth About It: When George Karl questions your defensive focus, I imagine, despite all the supreme clientele scoring ability (as perhaps the most complete bucket-dropper in the NBA), your DNA for winning basketball is not wired like the Kobes and Jordans of history. Being in N.Y. will only increase Carmelo Anthony's overrated hype.

As for the best?

LeBron_James_Crying_Drive.jpg

Joshua Wiedmann, via Twitter: LeBron James. He may not have a ring so far, but can anybody really question LeBron's greatness? He has the playmaking talent and vision of a Jason Kidd, the athleticism and jumping ability of Vince Carter (the younger version) and the power and strength of a smaller version of Dwight Howard.

Durant is a great scorer -- maybe the best in the league -- but LBJ is one of the greatest all-around talents the NBA has ever seen.

Tim Donahue, Eight Points, Nine Seconds: LeBron James. There's no reason to add anything to that, but I never give a two-word answer when I can write a full sentence (or more).

Patrick Hayes, Piston Powered: LeBron James by a wide margin. Save the lectures about the NBA Finals. There is still no player at this position who impacts a game in as many different ways as James. There's simply no way to defend a motivated LeBron.

Brendan Jackson, Celtics Hub: Anyone who picks against LeBron James has to be a hater, right? The man has the highest PER and win shares among his peers. Someone could make a case for Kevin Durant, but it would be a weak one. Bottom line: No one does more on both ends of the floor than James.

Kyle Weidie, Truth About It: How many different ways can we answer LeBron? Here's one: Kevin Durant. Despite James' unusual distaste for post offense, I can't, in good faith, dub him as "small." Durant has the perimeter dazzle one would traditionally want at the 3 with more appealing budding moxie to take big shots.

So there you have it! Melo, apparently, is overrated.

I have to say, that James needs to be more like Melo, Melo more like James.

4th quarter star that's underwhelming defensively.

4th quarter muppet that's overwhelming defensively.

Who has the most capacity to emulate his counterpart in the category of which each is lacking?

Are they really that far apart?

Let's give this some non-bias attention, shall we? A good topic in the off-season/lockout.

EDIT* link: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/5-on-5-110727/small-forwards-ratings

knicksman20

Benchwarmer
I just finished reading that article on ESPN & came here & saw this posted. I was thinking they're really hating on Melo; some saying he's not even a top 10 player in the league. I believe someone said he falls somewhere between 20-25. All I thought was WOW. NY players whether it's the NFL, NBA, or MLB always get hated on by the media & writers. I can't wait until NBA basketball is back & Melo is torching these teams on a regular basis.

NYallDay

Benchwarmer
We should be used to the hate by now Crazy. They did the same thing with Amare.....hes also ranked as the most overrated power forward by a number of columnists.....despite the pathetic play of boozer,bosh (during the season), tim duncan,and a bunch of other so called top notch 4s who had mediocre years at best.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Melo is overrated, particularly by Knick fans, but top 20-25 is just hate. He's top 10-15. His last four games as a Knick are a microcosm of Melo's entire career.

Game 1: 5-18 fg (27.8%), 2-8 3pt (25%), 15 pts (1-11 in the 4th qtr), 4 rebs

Game 2: 14-30 fg (46.7%), 4-8 3pt (50%), 42 pts, 17rebs

Game 3: 4-16 fg (25%), 1-3 3pt (33%), 15 pts, 11rebs

Game 4: 10-24 fg (41.7%), 2-7 3pt (28.6%), 32 pts, 9 rebs

Great in Games 2 & 4 and awful in games 1 & 3. When he's motivated and playing defense he's maybe the best player in the league. When he's not he's awful and will shoot you out of a game and give up on plays defensively. Hopefully Amare can keep him motivated.

Marek

Benchwarmer
Melo is overrated, particularly by Knick fans, but top 20-25 is just hate. He's top 10-15.

Word for word what I wanted to say.

At worst, he's the fourth best SF in the league (behind LBJ, Durant, and PP) and the 12th best player in the league regardless of position (behind Rose, Wade, LBJ, Stat, D12, CP3, Kobe, Durant, D-Will, PP).

You could argue that Melo is better than Rose, Stat, Durant, and PP; I think they're all so close that it's pretty much a push.
So you could arguably consider him the 8th best player in the league before I start thinking you're a crazy NY homer.

How could the 12th best player in the league be "overrated?" Melopalooza, that's how.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
KD is more overrated than Melo Imo.
He showed he's overrated as of now in the Playoffs this year. People kept blaming Westbrook, yet if Durant wasn't playing like a giant Ray Allen he would have been able to put the ball on the floor consistently.

Can't argue the points he gets though. Don't know how efficient he is. He seems efficient, deadly at times.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
The Good with the BAD

The Melo-Fiasco trade told the rank of Carmelo Anthony....

Those Knicks-Fans and members on this board that showed skepticism
about the Knicks trading for Melo using our depth players (Gallo-offense
and Chandler-defense) had a strong arguement b/c the Knicks were not
WEAK at the SF spot the past 3 seasons. The Knicks had big-holes in
the guard-rotation plus a missing center-piece the past 4 seasons.

Carmelo Anthony asked to be traded at the start of the 2010-11 season,
and several teams refuse to give up young up-coming players in a trade
for Melo to the point where Denver had to add star PG-Billups to make the
Melo trade more enticing to the next team to be completed by the trade
deadline. I dont see any team refusing any of their players for a trade for
Lebron James or Durant, and the same goes for a 4 year younger Paul Pierce.

Carmelo Anthony offense is unstoppable to make any lottery team into
a 500 record regular season team. However....Melo defense is a first-
round postseason team.

Kiyaman

Legend
He showed he's overrated as of now in the Playoffs this year. People kept blaming Westbrook, yet if Durant wasn't playing like a giant Ray Allen he would have been able to put the ball on the floor consistently.

Can't argue the points he gets though. Don't know efficient he is. He seem efficient, deadly at times.

Side note....on the Thunder vs Mavs WCF series
Ibaka average 28 minutes in the regular season, and 34 minutes in the
postseason series vs Portland and Grizzles....but average 12 minutes
vs the Mavs in the WCF.....Ibaka put in work to make a difference vs
Blazers Aldridge & Wallace, and became the biggest difference maker vs
Grizzles Gasol & Zach.

Westbrook & Durant without Ibaka in the Mavs series was the same as
Melo throwing the ball to Jefferies in the final seconds of a playoff game
without Amare & Billups on the court.

Rob Low

Rotation player
Side note....on the Thunder vs Mavs WCF series
Ibaka average 28 minutes in the regular season, and 34 minutes in the
postseason series vs Portland and Grizzles....but average 12 minutes
vs the Mavs in the WCF.....Ibaka put in work to make a difference vs
Blazers Aldridge & Wallace, and became the biggest difference maker vs
Grizzles Gasol & Zach.

Westbrook & Durant without Ibaka in the Mavs series was the same as
Melo throwing the ball to Jefferies in the final seconds of a playoff game
without Amare & Billups on the court.

So what exactly are you trying to say?

InGodsHands

Benchwarmer
Good article. Melo reminds me of Dominique Wilkins, great scorer...and that's it.

As for Durant, no he is not overrated. He's just 22 and took his team to WCF. Two times scoring champion, two time all-nba first team. If only Westbrick wasn't ballhogging like an idiot Thunder would be in the finals. They need to trade Westbrick ASAP he's garbage.

I stopped reading when I saw that picture of Lebron as beeing 'The best'.

Honestly, does this myth ever die?

Melo is not overrated, if anything he's underrated. Blake Griffin, Lebron James and Chris Bosh are overrated.

Melo is a legit franchise player who can be a great rebounder and good defender (as he's shown a couple of times for us late in the season, vs Orlando comes to mind).

I'd say Nowitzki is the best player at the moment. Before that Kobe by a countrymile, but Kobe is not Kobe anymore since his knee went.
Kobe is definitely a top 5 player of all time. Lebron is not even top 20 in my book.

Duncan, Shaq, Magic, Bird, Jordan etc etc. are all in front of Lebron.
This guy chokes as soon as you deny his penetration to the basket. Not a great jumpshooter and horribly weak from a psychological standpoint.

Yeah I would have to say, people forget how terrible lebron was in the finals

I honestly could not see Melo playing the way lebron did in those last 6 games of the finals.

I honestly think miami would have won if melo replaced lebron on that squad.

lebron didnt play any defense in that series and got torched by marion game in and game out

and these stupid epsn writers want to knock melo based on a 4 game series against a celtics defense who didnt have to key into any other player but melo ???

explain this to me, because im confused.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Seriously. With Billups and Amar'e injured the bulk of the 1st round against the Celtics was essentially Melo + scrubs vs. 3 future hall of famers.

If anything Carmelo is underrated because so many people think he's one-dimensional and all he can do is score. He's a great rebounder for an SF, an underrated passer because he's never been asked to be the primary ballhandler on his team, he's a good defender when he tries, and he's by far the most versatile scorer in the league.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Melo is not overrated, if anything he's underrated. Blake Griffin, Lebron James and Chris Bosh are overrated.
I disagree with you about Griffin. In his first year he was a monster, an efficient one. Has a lot of fundamentals. Gives it his all even if his team is being blown out in the fourth quarter. He has a great future ahead of him.

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
Word for word what I wanted to say.

At worst, he's the fourth best SF in the league (behind LBJ, Durant, and PP) and the 12th best player in the league regardless of position (behind Rose, Wade, LBJ, Stat, D12, CP3, Kobe, Durant, D-Will, PP).

You could argue that Melo is better than Rose, Stat, Durant, and PP; I think they're all so close that it's pretty much a push.
So you could arguably consider him the 8th best player in the league before I start thinking you're a crazy NY homer.

How could the 12th best player in the league be "overrated?" Melopalooza, that's how.

There is no way Pierce is a better player than Melo at this point in his career.