Melo Taking Hits On ESPN's Fan Voiced Article: 'Who's The Best/Most Overrated SF?'

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Unfortunately, I somewhat agree with InGodsHands. Not because of Melo's talent, though I feel like he is severely overrated on this site, but more to do with the fact that we gave up so much for him. If Melo had signed with us this offseason, we would be instant contenders and I would have had us atop the east. Now, with a more restrictive CBA, we may never be able to catch up to the top teams in the east (Miami, Chicago).

That, and defense.

Unfortunately, I somewhat agree with InGodsHands. Not because of Melo's talent, though I feel like he is severely overrated on this site, but more to do with the fact that we gave up so much for him. If Melo had signed with us this offseason, we would be instant contenders and I would have had us atop the east. Now, with a more restrictive CBA, we may never be able to catch up to the top teams in the east (Miami, Chicago).

That, and defense.
Do you really think that we would have been able to just sign Melo with the new CBA?

Do you really think that we would have been able to just sign Melo with the new CBA?
My thoughts exactly.. Owners are pushing for a 45 mil hard cap.. No way in hell we would've gotten Melo if we didn't make that trade. This whole debacle in the NBA right now is even more reason to be happy we pulled the trigger IMO. Lets be real.. we weren't ever gonna win a title with Amare + a bunch of solid role players. We traded a lot of pretty good players I admit it set us back a bit, but we got a superstar in return which puts us in even greater position to win because we have 2 legit go to guys in crunch time. Role players like the ones we gave up are replaceable dude. It's getting stars that is the hardest part. You win in the NBA with star players. We're fortunate enough to have 2 right now and continue building from there.

LJ4ptplay

Starter

Yes, we had plenty of cap space to sign him, regardless of the new CBA. The max contract Melo would have received would have been based on whatever the cap may be, and current contracts would be adjusted appropriately. Signing him was no issue with the new CBA.

knickscity

Benchwarmer
Yes, we had plenty of cap space to sign him, regardless of the new CBA. The max contract Melo would have received would have been based on whatever the cap may be, and current contracts would be adjusted appropriately. Signing him was no issue with the new CBA.

So if there was a 45 mil cap, you think we would be able to sign Melo and field a team?

This isn't 2K sports.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
So if there was a 45 mil cap, you think we would be able to sign Melo and field a team?

This isn't 2K sports.

We would've already had a team (Felton, Gallo, Mozgov, Anthony Randolph, picks). And yes, as I said, we had the cap space. The max contracts and existing contratcs would be adjusted based on the new cap. Having $18 mil in cap space before the new CBA would not be wiped out after a new CBA.

Being over the current cap and with no assets, draft picks, and depth is in bad position with the new CBA. Not being under the cap with assets, draft picks and depth.

My argument to not trade for Melo, since the beginning of last year, was because of the more restrictive CBA coming. This has been my whole argument since Day 1.

I bet the owners want a franchise tag as well. It certaintly isn't a sure thing Melo could have been had after the new CBA gets constructed..whenever that may be. We couldn't afford to take that risk on losing out on an elite talent like Melo imo.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I bet the owners want a franchise tag as well. It certaintly isn't a sure thing Melo could have been had after the new CBA gets constructed..whenever that may be. We couldn't afford to take that risk on losing out on an elite talent like Melo imo.

How can they franchise him if he is an unrestricted free agent?

This is all moot anyway. $45 mil hard cap, franchising without a player's consent, etc is all foolish talk. It's like politicians talking about a balanced budget amendment. 1.) not going to happen. 2.) makes things worse

The new CBA will end up being similar to current CBA but with a few changes making going over the cap more difficult, scaling down contracts and making new contracts more flexible so teams aren't handcuffed with bad contracts. The owners still want to make money as do the players. Neither one will give in to the other's demands 100%. A lot of the things we hear are posturing on both sides.

Last edited: