Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Melo Taking Hits On ESPN's Fan Voiced Article: 'Who's The Best/Most Overrated SF?'

Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    Ibaka put in work to make a difference vs
    Blazers Aldridge & Wallace
    OKC didn't verse Portland.

Yeah I would have to say, people forget how terrible lebron was in the finals

I honestly could not see Melo playing the way lebron did in those last 6 games of the finals.

I honestly think miami would have won if melo replaced lebron on that squad.

lebron didnt play any defense in that series and got torched by marion game in and game out

and these stupid epsn writers want to knock melo based on a 4 game series against a celtics defense who didnt have to key into any other player but melo ???

explain this to me, because im confused.

Veteran

Seriously. With Billups and Amar'e injured the bulk of the 1st round against the Celtics was essentially Melo + scrubs vs. 3 future hall of famers.

If anything Carmelo is underrated because so many people think he's one-dimensional and all he can do is score. He's a great rebounder for an SF, an underrated passer because he's never been asked to be the primary ballhandler on his team, he's a good defender when he tries, and he's by far the most versatile scorer in the league.

Originally Posted by Sprewell-Houston
    Melo is not overrated, if anything he's underrated. Blake Griffin, Lebron James and Chris Bosh are overrated.
    I disagree with you about Griffin. In his first year he was a monster, an efficient one. Has a lot of fundamentals. Gives it his all even if his team is being blown out in the fourth quarter. He has a great future ahead of him.

Originally Posted by Marek
    Word for word what I wanted to say.

At worst, he's the fourth best SF in the league (behind LBJ, Durant, and PP) and the 12th best player in the league regardless of position (behind Rose, Wade, LBJ, Stat, D12, CP3, Kobe, Durant, D-Will, PP).

You could argue that Melo is better than Rose, Stat, Durant, and PP; I think they're all so close that it's pretty much a push.
    So you could arguably consider him the 8th best player in the league before I start thinking you're a crazy NY homer.

How could the 12th best player in the league be "overrated?" Melopalooza, that's how.
    There is no way Pierce is a better player than Melo at this point in his career.

And Durant is a great player but he's definitely overrated. The media is in love with him and they tend to exaggerate his prowesss

Originally Posted by keyser soze
    And Durant is a great player but he's definitely overrated. The media is in love with him and they tend to exaggerate his prowesss
    But he's humble!

Originally Posted by RunningJumper
    I disagree with you about Griffin. In his first year he was a monster, an efficient one. Has a lot of fundamentals. Gives it his all even if his team is being blown out in the fourth quarter. He has a great future ahead of him.
    Griffin is basically the 2002-2005 version of STAT, only difference is Blake is getting 10 times the hype. Great offensive force, a monster athlete - no defense apart from a few blocked shots.

A young Duncan, Malone, Garnett over Griffin every time for me.

Griffin is basically the 2002-2005 version of STAT, only difference is Blake is getting 10 times the hype. Great offensive force, a monster athlete - no defense apart from a few blocked shots.
    Griffin only played one year and he is already better rebounder and passer than STAT ever was. In 1-2 years he will be best PF in the league.

Originally Posted by Sprewell-Houston
    Melo is a legit franchise player who can be a great rebounder and good defender (as he's shown a couple of times for us late in the season, vs Orlando comes to mind).
    Yeah....he's not a good defender. Just because he played good defense for a few games doesn't mean he's suddenly a good defender. What about every other game he played? He's a great scorer who doesn't give a consistent effort on defense.

Lol did anyone catch what one BSPN writer said about most overrated PF?

Nikko Tan, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]: Unless all you care about is fantasy basketball, the answer here has to be Amare. He scores, but what else can he do? For a guy with major hops (of which he showed a few years back in the slam dunk contest), he does not rebound nearly enough and plays pillow-soft defense.

Henry Abbott, TrueHoop: Shout-outs to Drew Gooden and Charlie Villanueva, but I'm giving Amare Stoudemire this prize, not because of his play but because of the hyperbole of the Big Apple. New York acted as if it was the big winner of last summer's free agency. Give me a break. He's a very special scorer, and his leadership was tremendous before Carmelo Anthony showed up. But calling his top-20-level play top-five does him no favors.

Justin DeFeo, Nets Are Scorching:
    Last summer, Carlos Boozer was being talked about as one of the top free agents of the class, but his production this past season left a lot to be desired and got worse in the postseason. He might have been battling injuries, but Boozer has a lot to prove to Bulls fans this season in order to justify the huge contract he was given.

Rahat Huq, Red94:
    Replacing injured Luis Scola with rookie Patrick Patterson took the Rockets' starting lineup down to .88 points per possession allowed, by far the team's stingiest defensive five-man unit; Houston also didn't miss a beat in the W-L column. Scola is good, but overrated after continual "underratedness"' mentions and a contract the team should look to unload.

Bret LaGree, Hoopinion:
    Defense and rebounding and not turning the ball over matter, too. Even though he's a very good scorer and an eminently useful power forward, Amare Stoudemire shouldn't be in the conversation for best power forward in the age of Nowitzki, Kevin Garnett, Pau Gasol and Griffin.
    The one I highlighted red.. Really?? Labeling Amare overrated because of the city he plays for? REALLY???

^
    As the global population grows, so does the number of complete dick brains.

As does the number of skinny women with fake cakes, so I'll take the good with the bad.

Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s
    ^
    As the global population grows, so does the number of complete dick brains.

As does the number of skinny women with fake cakes, so I'll take the good with the bad.
    Hahaha truth brah

I agree that Melo is overrated by its almost like hes the scapegoat now for small forwards.

How the **** is Lebron not the most overrated small forward? Most people consider him a top 3 player in the nba....hes got wade and bosh on his team, plus a decent supporting cast. And they only won 1 game in the finals as Lebron was nowhere to be seen almost the entire series. So any answer besides Lebron here doesnt make much sense to me.

And yes, Carmelo takes some plays off but thats very common with NBA players especially during the regular season

Originally Posted by KingStarbury3
    I agree that Melo is overrated by its almost like hes the scapegoat now for small forwards.

How the **** is Lebron not the most overrated small forward? Most people consider him a top 3 player in the nba....hes got wade and bosh on his team, plus a decent supporting cast. And they only won 1 game in the finals as Lebron was nowhere to be seen almost the entire series. So any answer besides Lebron here doesnt make much sense to me.

And yes, Carmelo takes some plays off but thats very common with NBA players especially during the regular season
    Wow man, this post is downright terrible.

Who's the best SF then?

people may think more of him than they should, but he is rated correctly.

I hate Lebron just as much as the next, but LeBron is the best SF in the NBA are is in the top 3 overall in the league.

Some may still put Kobe 1, but LeBron is at least 2nd or 3rd, depending on how people feel about Dwight.

And no he doesn't have a decent supporting cast, outside of Wade and
    Bosh, which has alot to do with why they lost 4-2 in the finals, not 4-1.

For the record Melo is not over rated.

He isn't the best SF, he is 2nd or 3rd depending on the Durant enthusiasts.

He is top 10 NBA player, he has one of the best mid range game, and he is a top 5 scorer in the NBA.