Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Melo Taking Hits On ESPN's Fan Voiced Article: 'Who's The Best/Most Overrated SF?'

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Yes, we had plenty of cap space to sign him, regardless of the new CBA. The max contract Melo would have received would have been based on whatever the cap may be, and current contracts would be adjusted appropriately. Signing him was no issue with the new CBA.
    So if there was a 45 mil cap, you think we would be able to sign Melo and field a team?

This isn't 2K sports.

Originally Posted by knickscity
    So if there was a 45 mil cap, you think we would be able to sign Melo and field a team?

This isn't 2K sports.
    We would've already had a team (Felton, Gallo, Mozgov, Anthony Randolph, picks). And yes, as I said, we had the cap space. The max contracts and existing contratcs would be adjusted based on the new cap. Having $18 mil in cap space before the new CBA would not be wiped out after a new CBA.

Being over the current cap and with no assets, draft picks, and depth is in bad position with the new CBA. Not being under the cap with assets, draft picks and depth.

My argument to not trade for Melo, since the beginning of last year, was because of the more restrictive CBA coming. This has been my whole argument since Day 1.

I bet the owners want a franchise tag as well. It certaintly isn't a sure thing Melo could have been had after the new CBA gets constructed..whenever that may be. We couldn't afford to take that risk on losing out on an elite talent like Melo imo.

Originally Posted by StEpHoN_mArBuRy
    I bet the owners want a franchise tag as well. It certaintly isn't a sure thing Melo could have been had after the new CBA gets constructed..whenever that may be. We couldn't afford to take that risk on losing out on an elite talent like Melo imo.
    How can they franchise him if he is an unrestricted free agent?

This is all moot anyway. $45 mil hard cap, franchising without a player's consent, etc is all foolish talk. It's like politicians talking about a balanced budget amendment. 1.) not going to happen. 2.) makes things worse

The new CBA will end up being similar to current CBA but with a few changes making going over the cap more difficult, scaling down contracts and making new contracts more flexible so teams aren't handcuffed with bad contracts. The owners still want to make money as do the players. Neither one will give in to the other's demands 100%. A lot of the things we hear are posturing on both sides.
    Last edited by LJ4ptplay; Aug 18, 2011 at 14:24.