Hanging In The Balance: Fields' Resurgence

Will Landry Fields Reinvent His Game & Be Awesome?

• Yes

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Highly Likely

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Not Improbable

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Not Likely

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Highly Unlikely

• No

• Total voters

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
ox281259330377384546.jpg

In the next NBA season, I personally am not looking forward to watching anyone in O&B as much as I am looking forward to watching Landry Fields, my favourite Knickerbocker.

Though I might be of a rare commodity on this front [don't know if I am/will soon find out], I believe in Fields' resolve and am merely waiting in lockout purgatory for the inevitable show to begin. Considering the way his season ended, it's flourish or fall. Because, let's call a spade a spade, his 1st round appearance against Boston was an abomination. It was the proverbial nail in Fields' 2010 coffin after the Carmelo Anthony trade, which leads me to my next point.

For any of those who payed attention, The Melo Trade rocked Fields' comfort zone in NY. Not only was there an overwhelming sense of unfamiliarity with new team mates as a rookie, Fields saw less of the ball, any play that had his number was scratched to make way for Chauncey and Melo, his rebounding and off ball play offensively were nullified, and, for some reason or other, his shot became the equivalent of shit on toast. In that 25-30 game stretch, Fields was over looked by a scrambling D'Antoni, who suddenly had a team that he himself hadn't chosen: flabbergasted, discombobulated, D'Antoni chose isolations for stars, which was the supernova for Fields' effectiveness.

Inevitably, Fields found himself on the back burner. Then, for the first time in a long time, Fields couldn't rely on intellect to overcome the unavoidable, and the result was telling.

Which leads me to my next point.

Often touted as a great mind, I have no doubt that Fields' intelligence, mixed in with some self fused frustration, will be the right concoction to help reforge and re-establish his role effectively once the NBA's next season commences.

I'm laying it out right now for all the doubters.

Landry Fields will return with a vendetta against the nay sayers next season.

If, and only if, he is incorporated by Mike D under the same premise he was incorporated in before the Melo trade, the Boston series will soon be forgotten.

6'7 - 210 - athletic - intelligent - strong - intangible mastermind - determined.

Quite the pantry of ingredients.

But, as we know, it's what you do with it that makes it delicious.

NY%20Knicks%20Logo.jpg

In preparation, Fields has been undergoing some system tweaks

Coach Macri serves as a player development consultant for the Pro Training Center and Coach David Thorpe, working with a variety of NBA players on their skills and game understanding.

For Landry Fields, a large part of what we work on would be his handle. Fields tends to be a little loose with it, and our focus would be getting him to understand the benefits of the ball exploding off his fingertips toward the floor. We refer to this method of dribbling as "hammering nails." The idea is to imagine the gym floor has 500 half popped nails. We want to use the ball like a hammer, slamming it into the floor with each dribble, pounding the ball so that it would proverbially hammer those nails into the wood. Every drill that involves handling the basketball would have that focus, and any scrimmage or live gameplay, Fields (and the other players) would get a pretty constant stream of the demand to "hammer nails." By dribbling the ball hard, it spends less time in the air, and more time in our hand, where we have more control. In addition, if we encourage players to dribble so hard that they start making mistakes, that is how their handle improves. Their confidence with the ball gets higher, and they become a more dangerous ball-handling machine.

Fields already possesses a tight, compact form. It is consistent and he does a very good job of keeping it smooth and efficient. Mayo, on the other hand, tends to be very inconsistent with his shot, and his form can be refined considerably, which would result in a considerable increase in his make percentage from the perimeter. In fact, a few small changes and a focus on shot selection would push him over .400 in 3-point shooting percentage, up from the .364 he shot this past season.

Landry+Fields+Posterizing+2+Handed+Putback+Dunk+vs.+Toronto+Raptors+1.jpg

The last piece on the shooting topic that would be critical for both Mayo and Fields is the addition of the "freeze fake" to their games. The freeze fake is different from the shot fake ? in a freeze fake, the player's motion raises the ball from the chest to the chin, keeping the hips down and knees bent. The idea here is only to freeze the defender ? not necessarily to get them to jump to block the shot ? just to keep them off balance. Dirk Nowitzki and Kevin Martin are two players who use freeze fakes with regularity in their games ? to great success. Every day shooting with Mayo and Fields would include not just catch and shoot opportunities, but also catch, freeze fake, and shoot opportunities. The idea is that the freeze fake stops the defender, and can by the shooter another second to get off a shot that would have been too heavily challenged otherwise.

In the case of both O.J. Mayo and Landry Fields, the goal is to refine their attack and give them new points of focus ? small techniques that can have a huge impact on the way they play the game. In the last article in this series, we'll look at some specific priorities for small forwards, which will include the notion of catch and attack (which would also be a huge part of what we'd do with Mayo and Fields).

2012: The Year Of The Half-Blood Prince.

Book it.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=20485#ixzz1Tmnc5PTn

iJoe

Rotation player
Very nice article and observations.

Fields immediately became less comfortable with the offense once Melo was thrown in. Melo tends to take up a lot of the same space that Fields once occupied. This is especially true with rebounding.

I really hate our ISO game and one on one basketball only works during the regular season. Once the playoffs come around, it becomes harder and harder to get by without exhausting yourself each game if you don't play as a team (Miami vs Dallas). A guy like Fields is designed to compliment and make your team better. Not sit around the 3 point line and basically nothing else.

Red

TYPE-A
Please allow me to vent.

First off, I don't know ANY profession where an individual can fail so miserably and keep their job- especially one which is in high demand due to the minimal # of players who are capable of holding such a position and the amount of money it pays (100's of thousands to Millions!).

Next, it's a shame when we consider the correct perspective of our franchise and history- that being we squandered multiple years and haven't sniffed a playoff win in 10 years and counting. I blame Fields and MOA for this lack of recognition.

Fields avg. 1.7pts per in the playoffs, MOA had no options available- this after it was clear 20 games prior and up until that Fields was struggling. The blame for MOA forcing the issue AGAIN imo is a result of a flawed approach.

For instance IF our coach were a "defensive minded" coach, he would DEMAND all players must at the least BE ABLE TO DEFEND THEIR POSITION! Of course this isn't the case. Fields' issues were exacerbated by the fact that not only was he useless offensively, but allowed Ray Allen to transform into Jesus Shutlesworth 2.0 in the playoffs!

In effect, by not being able to show up on BOTH ends of the floor, we played 4 on 5 for our come-back series, the one which we waited for years for. Continually, MOA's decisions with Fields leave much to be desired as those decisions are totally contrary to the winning montra...

TEAM 1st!

Not MOA
Not the struggling rookie
The team comes first. And IF one chooses to put themselves (MOA) or cannot handle their responsibilities (Fields) then they are letting their team down, and for that Fields has much to prove to me, and that's beyond a few good games.

In my book you're either capable of performing up to your ability consistently or not. If not you don't deserve another opportunity to let THE TEAM down again. Earn your keep!

Field time wasn't earned IMO it was given. With this full body of work to analyze, short of becoming a knock down shooter or lock down defender, if I were competing for his job, I would be salivating at the opportunity to eat this deer in headlights lunch (Shump).

knickscity

Benchwarmer
That's a good article, but if Fields is out there just working on offense, then he is setting himself up for failure.

He needs to be the guy before the trade.

Smart, cutting to the goal for putbacks and additional possessions.

Movement off the ball to help space the floor.

Get in position to hit open/corner threes.

Fields stopped moving and cutting, and started to watch.

One part I really disagree with, is that Melo took Fields spots on the floor.

That's BS, Melo is primarily mid range, and Fields has none of that in his game.

D'antoni destroyed the kid by having him in situations where he had to make plays, especially when Chauncey went down.

That's not his game.

Fields can be a very good role player, just need to fine tune what he does well.

he has to understand that it's OK to be a role player, and just do his work, not be the star.

Your favourite Knickerbocker???

I guess you didn't watch the season after the ASG?

He sucked big time from mid February till our first round exit.

A nice and versatile player, but doesn't fit into our formation with Melo and Billups around. He was great next to Felton, STAT and Gallo/Chandler, but his style of play doesn't harmonize with our current lineup.

I'm still for trading him and getting a shooter at the 2 like Afflalo, Nick Young or Mayo.

Kiyaman

Legend
Please allow me to vent.

First off, I don't know ANY profession where an individual can fail so miserably and keep their job- especially one which is in high demand due to the minimal # of players who are capable of holding such a position and the amount of money it pays (100's of thousands to Millions!).

Next, it's a shame when we consider the correct perspective of our franchise and history- that being we squandered multiple years and haven't sniffed a playoff win in 10 years and counting. I blame Fields and MOA for this lack of recognition.

Fields avg. 1.7pts per in the playoffs, MOA had no options available- this after it was clear 20 games prior and up until that Fields was struggling. The blame for MOA forcing the issue AGAIN imo is a result of a flawed approach.

For instance IF our coach were a "defensive minded" coach, he would DEMAND all players must at the least BE ABLE TO DEFEND THEIR POSITION! Of course this isn't the case. Fields' issues were exacerbated by the fact that not only was he useless offensively, but allowed Ray Allen to transform into Jesus Shutlesworth 2.0 in the playoffs!

In effect, by not being able to show up on BOTH ends of the floor, we played 4 on 5 for our come-back series, the one which we waited for years for. Continually, MOA's decisions with Fields leave much to be desired as those decisions are totally contrary to the winning montra...

TEAM 1st!

Not MOA
Not the struggling rookie
The team comes first. And IF one chooses to put themselves (MOA) or cannot handle their responsibilities (Fields) then they are letting their team down, and for that Fields has much to prove to me, and that's beyond a few good games.

In my book you're either capable of performing up to your ability consistently or not. If not you don't deserve another opportunity to let THE TEAM down again. Earn your keep!

Field time wasn't earned IMO it was given. With this full body of work to analyze, short of becoming a knock down shooter or lock down defender, if I were competing for his job, I would be salivating at the opportunity to eat this deer in headlights lunch (Shump).

:boohoo::boohoo::boohoo:
u are not serious......98% of the Knicks players performance showed
they were not thrilled over the Melo-fiasco-trade. Melo seem like the
only player happy on the Knicks after the deadline trade.
Wake-up to smell the Amare/Billups injury coffee brewing.......

Landry Fields oustanding performance in the Summer League and Preseason
games showed rookie Fields to be a great-energy 6th, 7th, or 8th man off
the bench at multi-positions (SG/SF).

Even BUM Dantoni wasnt to thrilled about losing his Godson to the Western
Conference, which may be the best thing for Gallo.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee

Nay sayer #1.

That deer in the headlights will return to action as a werewolf in the moonlight. Heed me, Red, heed my shit. My shit is in need of heed.

As we agree, MD's dire need of adjustment at the end of last season was not inclusive of Landry Fields. Fields knows he will have to force his hand, and he will. I'm a sceptic when it comes to faith, but this is my exception.

Fields stopped moving and cutting, and started to watch.

Nay sayer #2.

Lies and forgery. That is not the case, whatsoever. The amount of times I hollered at Melo to hit Fields on the baseline in his short tenure in O&B last year; countless.

One part I really disagree with, is that Melo took Fields spots on the floor.

That's BS, Melo is primarily mid range, and Fields has none of that in his game.

Mid range, as an area, is between the hoop and the arc. Where would an opportunistic second chance SG move to and fro to create intangible chances? Were Gallo, Felton and Chandler mid range? No. All of a sudden, Fields found himself with FAR less wiggle room between 2 isolated mid range threats.

D'antoni destroyed the kid by having him in situations where he had to make plays, especially when Chauncey went down.

He did. Those plays were reliant on Fields creating for himself.

That's not his game.

Precisely.

Fields can be a very good role player, just need to fine tune what he does well.
he has to understand that it's OK to be a role player, and just do his work, not be the star.

A second round pick has never, ever had the audacity to apply that frame of mind, let alone Landry Fields. I don't know where you manifested that idea from.

A nice and versatile player, but doesn't fit into our formation with Melo and Billups around. He was great next to Felton, STAT and Gallo/Chandler, but his style of play doesn't harmonize with our current lineup.

I'm still for trading him and getting a shooter at the 2 like Afflalo, Nick Young or Mayo.

Naysayer #3

Give me a higher percentage shooting Landry Fields - an ?ber capable shooter - with his size and capabilities [mental & physical] over that list of ass grapes any day. He can replicate what they do in shooting, none of them will ever have the knack for what comes to him naturally.

Kiyaman

Legend

Damn! I watched those same games after the ASG to see a tired Amare
have no energy in the 4th quarter. Every Knicks oponents PF walked all
over Amare (even Brand) for the WIN, b/c the Knicks had no center and
Amare's backup was injury-prone Turiaf.
SG-Fields had to grab 10 rebounds in a game in early February for a Knicks win.
And Felton only passing the ball to Amare 90% of the time didnt help in
creating a team-offense. Especially when oponents scored the majority
of their points from inside the paint.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Especially when oponents scored the majority

The amount of career outings opposing 4s & 5s had against us last season was embarrassing. To think if Fields hadn't shined out as steal of the draft and one of the league's best rebounding back court players??????

Red

TYPE-A
Crazy⑧s;185224 said:
Nay sayer #1.

That deer in the headlights will return to action as a werewolf in the moonlight. Heed me, Red, heed my shit. My shit is in need of heed.

As we agree, MD's dire need of adjustment at the end of last season was not inclusive of Landry Fields. Fields knows he will have to force his hand, and he will. I'm a sceptic when it comes to faith, but this is my exception.

Nay sayer #2.

Lies and forgery. That is not the case, whatsoever. The amount of times I hollered at Melo to hit Fields on the baseline in his short tenure in O&B last year; countless.

Mid range, as an area, is between the hoop and the arc. Where would an opportunistic second chance SG move to and fro to create intangible chances? Were Gallo, Felton and Chandler mid range? No. All of a sudden, Fields found himself with FAR less wiggle room between 2 isolated mid range threats.

He did. Those plays were reliant on Fields creating for himself.

Precisely.

A second round pick has never, ever had the audacity to apply that frame of mind, let alone Landry Fields. I don't know where you manifested that idea from.

Naysayer #3

Give me a higher percentage shooting Landry Fields - an ?ber capable shooter - with his size and capabilities [mental & physical] over that list of ass grapes any day. He can replicate what they do in shooting, none of them will ever have the knack for what comes to him naturally.

I hear you...

Based on what? Are there articles detailing his training reg unlike others?

Kiya did mention how Fields earned his spot because of an outstanding "pre-season"...lol how many players show in pre-season? 'Means nothing.

Fields being the steal of the draft is relative to his spot where picked. And sure I'll give him props for his reb and fg% #'s but...

Like in many sports, can they do it when it counts? No MVP's or championships are won in Feb, ya know?

Like my man said in Blood Sport when Frank was breaking bricks... Very nice, but brick don't hit back.

I've seen Fields body of work, his potential, his athletic ability and IQ on display. And in this sytem (which will probably limit him & f*ck him up) there's not much room to shine for him.

Not if he can't at the least stop his man. Garbage man? Sure. Rebounder? Sure. Hustler? Ok. But in reality his skills would be regulated to 6th man duties at best on a real championship contender.

Ya know, really all this team asks of Fields is to "not f*ck this up" and like I've seen many times over, he choked so much he did just that. Any other expectation (as if MOA can coach him up...lol) is wishful thinking at best.

Next year we can make a sig bet on it...ok?

Last edited:

Red

TYPE-A
I would do a sig bet of Fields being considered for the All-Star team within the next three years.

Wtf 3 years? You're joking right?

Next year, place your bets (it's f*ced up because then I would have to root for him to fail)

But for sh*ts and giggles... what's the bet?

Crazy asserts this apparent dear in headlights will become a Werewolf. I doubt it.

Damn! I watched those same games after the ASG to see a tired Amare
have no energy in the 4th quarter. Every Knicks oponents PF walked all
over Amare (even Brand) for the WIN, b/c the Knicks had no center and
Amare's backup was injury-prone Turiaf.
SG-Fields had to grab 10 rebounds in a game in early February for a Knicks win.
And Felton only passing the ball to Amare 90% of the time didnt help in
creating a team-offense. Especially when oponents scored the majority

THat aside, he couldn't handle Ray Allen at all, despite beeing 3 inches taller....and his offense was close to embarrassing in the playoffs, putting up airballs and turnovers.

I hope he does come back as the same player he was early on in the season, but I wouldn't bet on it as a GM. I think I'd take the safe one and trade for O.J. Mayo who's a beast when on.

THat aside, he couldn't handle Ray Allen at all, despite beeing 3 inches taller....and his offense was close to embarrassing in the playoffs, putting up airballs and turnovers.

I hope he does come back as the same player he was early on in the season, but I wouldn't bet on it as a GM. I think I'd take the safe one and trade for O.J. Mayo who's a beast when on.
I really doubt that the Grizzlies would give up Mayo for Fields, Mayo's trade value really went up during the playoffs.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Fields does not look like a starting 2 in the league to me. He needs to work on his handle. He needs to work on his ability to shoot off the dribble. He needs to work on his shooting. He needs to work on his agility. This is alot to try and add at any stage in a pro career. All that said I think he should focus on his 3 point shooting. I think he can be a legit stopper in the league also. I see him as kind of a Shane Battier type.

I voted that it's not improbable that he could really grow as a player because he seems like he's a hard worker. I also think he has tremendous aptitude for the game of basketball. I really like Fields and am rooting for his development. :gony:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
In reply to all, I never said he's gonna be a 17ppg+ player. But I guarantee you that he'll be worthy of a starting role on any squad.

That's IF he is incorporated with a fair opportunity to play his game. Look for improvements, they are coming in varied forms.

Crazy⑧s;185258 said:
In reply to all, I never said he's gonna be a 17ppg+ player. But I guarantee you that he'll be worthy of a starting role on any squad.

That's IF he is incorporated with a fair opportunity to play his game. Look for improvements, they are coming in varied forms.

And what if Shumpert is just the better player?
From what I've seen so far, the kid has swag and is not afraid to play with the big guns.
Fields was clearly afraid in the playoffs, his confidence was zero...I'd be happy with him working on his jumper etc, but you're either build for this kind of pressure or not (see Lebron). It's only his rookie season, so let's give him another season, but if he's afraid of the occasion again, come playoff-time, it's time to trade him I say.