Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31

Thread: Alan Hahn Advocating Ewing As New Defensive Assistant.

  1. #16
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,789
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Woodson would be better if he would take the job.

    Being a DC is about being more than a good defensive player much like being a good HC is about being more than a good two-way player, otherwise we'd still have Isiah here coaching the team because of his HOF resume.

    I'm not saying that Ewing doesn't have the ability to do this but why would you take a guy new to the coaching game over a guy like Woodson who has proven himself to be a better coach than D'Antoni?

  2. #17
    Veteran OriginalKnickGrandson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    1,114
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    I grew up watching Patrick Ewing play and enjoyed the tuff nose D that he played , but in no way do I think he's qualified to be a DC for us.... Unless he can bring D.Howard with him. Bring him back for public relations when Allen Houston makes the move to full time GM.

  3. #18
    Veteran nyk_nyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,529
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by AmareForPresident
    I have much love for Pat and everything he has done with the Knicks but I just don't see how Pat would be a good DC, have you watched Orlando this season? Their defense WAS Dwight Howard. And tbh I find Pat's big man coaching to be a little overrated. D12 should be the best player in the NBA right now imo. D12 was already a defensive monster before Pat got to Orlando so lets not act like Pat turned D12 into some defensive specialist. & in 4 years of Pat being there, D12 has shown NO improvement on his FT shooting and it took Pat like 4 years to teach D12 to make a shot from like 3 feet away.
    Your post is all over the place. First of all, Ewing was not a defensive coach in ORL, he was just one of the assistant coaches. Secondly, who is overrating Ewing as a big man coach?? How is a hall of fame center not worthy of getting credit as a mentor to a young center. I don't know if you've noticed, but Howard's post game has gotten better every year under Ewing. Also, his work with D12 was mostly offensive and everyone knows D12 already possesses natural defensive skills.

    So I guess you believe that Curry or any other young center we bring in wouldn't benefit from working with our former captain who played the game with great intensity.

    "it took Pat like 4 years to teach D12 to make a shot from like 3 feet away" - Sorry but this comment is just plain dumb.

  4. #19
    Veteran nyk_nyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,529
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by OriginalKnickGrandson
    I grew up watching Patrick Ewing play and enjoyed the tuff nose D that he played , but in no way do I think he's qualified to be a DC for us.... Unless he can bring D.Howard with him. Bring him back for public relations when Allen Houston makes the move to full time GM.
    Wow, you gave a reason why he qualifies and then said he wouldn't qualify.


    An effective defensive coach understands defense and has to at least have a defensive mentality. I remember Ewing screaming at his teammates in huddles to clamp down on defense and they listened.

  5. #20
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,788
    Rep Power
    17

    Thumbs up

    Why dont the Knicks just FIRE the BUM Dantoni-brothers.....
    then hire Patrick Ewing & Woodson as assistant coaches to
    interim headcoach Herb Williams???

  6. #21
    Veteran AmareForPresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens,NY
    Posts
    1,791
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Your post is all over the place. First of all, Ewing was not a defensive coach in ORL.he was just one of the assistant coaches.
    Exactly so why would you want Pat as our DC? Orlando had no defense other than D12 so what makes you think Pat would be a good DC?

    Secondly, who is overrating Ewing as a big man coach?? How is a hall of fame center not worthy of getting credit as a mentor to a young center.
    Your overrating Pat. Just because Ewing was a good defensive player you think he will improve our defense? So I guess we should just give Isiah Thomas a call as well.

    I don't know if you've noticed, but Howard's post game has gotten better every year under Ewing. Also, his work with D12 was mostly offensive and everyone knows D12 already possesses natural defensive skills.
    Calm down D12's post game is not that amazing. Like I said before, D12 should be the best player in the NBA right now. You say that Pat's work with D12 was mostly offensive when D12 has shown NO improvement on his FT shooting and his shooting in general is atrocious lmao.

    So I guess you believe that Curry or any other young center we bring in wouldn't benefit from working with our former captain who played the game with great intensity.
    I'm sorry but I want an assistant coach that can help our defense and Mike Woodson would be much better for the job because he has PROVEN that he can teach a team defense. Would you rather have a proven doctor who has been a doctor for 7 years perform surgery on you or a new doctor who has never performed surgery before?

  7. #22
    Superstar pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    902
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by nyk_nyk
    Lolololololol!! How old are you?

    I'm surprised no one else checked you for that horrible comment.
    Why? I have actually been watching Knicks games since 1993. One the "Patrick Ewing: Standing Tall" documentary even says so himself: Oak's arrival allowed him to focus on offense. You can see how his offensive numbers improved in NY once Oakley was around, while his defense stats were in sharp decline. Why? Because he did not have to focus on defense that much any more.

    I am fully aware of the fact that numbers do not always tell the whole story, or even the true story in fact, but add what I said earlier to the observation that his bpg rate dropped significantly between 1990 and 1992 (4.0 to 2.0) and you can see what I mean.

    So for the final 10 years of his career he focused on offense. Also all the coaching he did was trying to teach raw big men post moves. I would like having him around as a big man coach but coordinating defense? I am not sure about that.

    I can see his point in wanting to make a step forward. So heading a team wit a dominant centre might actually be more suitable, especially with good a d-assistant around.

    Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s
    : {'89 if I remember correctly},
    Exactly 89. BUT what happened then?
    Last edited by pat; Aug 12, 2011 at 18:30.

  8. #23
    Superstar pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    902
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    Why dont the Knicks just FIRE the BUM Dantoni-brothers.....
    then hire Patrick Ewing & Woodson as assistant coaches to
    interim headcoach Herb Williams???
    Honestly, as much as I am a Knicks fan, by now my only wish is for all your suggestions to be put into reality, just so that we can agree that this would all end badly.

  9. #24
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,789
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Why would you want Woodson as an assistant to Herb Williams? If anything if we fired D'Antoni then Woodson would be a great candidate to take his place

  10. #25
    Superstar pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    902
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    Why would you want Woodson as an assistant to Herb Williams? If anything if we fired D'Antoni then Woodson would be a great candidate to take his place
    The first thing which comes into my mind if I hear "Mike Woodson" is "isolation basketball". I wouldn't like that but on the other hand it would cater for Melo's needs. I am just not sure if this would suffice as a championship strategy.

  11. #26
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,789
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    And what head coaching experience does Herb Williams have?

    I'm not saying Mike Woodson would be a great HC but I'd take him over Herb anyday. Also let's not forget the fact that Phil Jackson's shadow is going to be looming over MSG next year.

  12. #27
    Veteran OriginalKnickGrandson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    1,114
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Originally Posted by nyk_nyk
    Wow, you gave a reason why he qualifies and then said he wouldn't qualify.


    An effective defensive coach understands defense and has to at least have a defensive mentality. I remember Ewing screaming at his teammates in huddles to clamp down on defense and they listened.
    Dude just because you can do something well doesn't mean you can teach it. I was only stateing my respect for Pat before I gave my opinion on him as our "DC".

  13. #28
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,789
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Again, if having the skill to play defense means you can be a great defensive coach then why isn't Isiah still our head coach? That guy was a beast as a player, bro.

    There's a difference between having the hustle to guard the paint and being able to accurately break down another team's offensive scheme and tailor your defensive schematic accordingly. Ewing would be a great big man coach but I don't think he has the acumen to run the team's defensive schemes just yet. Again, a guy like Mike Woodson who has HC experience would be a much better candidate.

  14. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    182
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Isiah actually isn't a bad coach, I don't want him back because of his other mishaps with us.

  15. #30
    Veteran nyk_nyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,529
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by OriginalKnickGrandson
    Dude just because you can do something well doesn't mean you can teach it. I was only stateing my respect for Pat before I gave my opinion on him as our "DC".
    My point is, why are people like yourself totally writing Pat off? People always get a first chance to do something no matter who you are. Lawrence Frank got a chance and so did Monty Williams and they both did well.

    Your right, just because he was a tenacious defender doesn't mean he automatically would be a good DC. But he could be a good DC if he puts all his energy into it. Remember, he comes from the defensive powerhouse Knick teams of the 90's. Plus he was coach mostly by defensive minded coaches.

Similar Threads

  1. Patrick Ewing: I should give Knicks a call, talks coaching
    By AmareForPresident in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Jun 12, 2011, 23:33
  2. Alan Hahn at Knicks Media day
    By KnicksWillRiseAgain in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Sep 27, 2010, 11:55
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: Aug 03, 2008, 18:21
  4. Patrick Ewing Assistant Coach?
    By nyKnicks126 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jun 16, 2007, 16:14
  5. Ewing, van Gundy's assistant
    By Swifftey in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jul 03, 2003, 07:15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •