Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Marbury Talks NBA Lockout, Says Stern Should Step Down

  1. #1
    Veteran AmareForPresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens,NY
    Posts
    1,791
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Marbury Talks NBA Lockout, Says Stern Should Step Down

    Former NBA player Stephon Marbury, who is currently with the Foshan Dralions of the Chinese Basketball Association, might not play in the league anymore, but he definitely still has a few things to say.
    “The NBA lockout starts Nov. 15 when the checks stop,” Marbury tweeted. “When that happens you will see disaster at its worst. I’m praying for some guys now.”





    The point guard was answering some questions from his followers Friday, when the discussing turned toward the impending NBA lockout.
    “Man they’ve been making money off of ninjas forever. When we flip the script for it to be (fair) its a problem,” Marbury posted.
    The Brooklyn native also didn’t mince words about NBA commissioner David Stern.
    “I’m grown and a little short white man isn’t telling me what I can put on my body,” Marbury tweeted. “(Stern) needs to step down. He’s messing basketball up. His time has passed. He did agreat job in the 80′s.”
    “As a former NBA player I see the BS David Stern drops and I like picking It up so he can contest to what he’s saying.”
    Marbury is currently in China, where he signed a three-year deal with the Shanxi Zhongyu Brave Dragons in 2010, but then left for the Foshan Dralions.
    When asked if there were any NBA players over in China with him, Marbury said: “Yes. Can’t say right now because I can’t.”
    About NBA players, Marbury added: “A lot who have no direction and scared of the people that run the NBA because they want to be stars. The NBA will hold that over their heads until they can’t do anything with them anymore. I’m off the NBA until they make changes. I guess I’m crazy for speaking the truth. “
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

  2. #2
    Quiet Storm New New York's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,431
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    So I agree with the fact about The NBA (and its owners) had been making money off players for years and it is a bit ironic that these Billiionares are so bent out of shape about it now, but at the end of the day the NBA owners are buisness men and if buisness is not profitable then adjustments must be made....kinda a catch 22. I'm certain The guys who do all the day to day stuff for The Starbaury shoe line are not making as much off the shoes as he is.

    But.....I have to totally disagree with what he says about Stern's time passing!

    Look Basketball is my favorite Sport but it is not the best product out! The NFL because of their short season makes for better TV because there are few throw away games and each game is important, the build up of each game makes the game more marketable than most sports....that lone exception is The NBA!

    Name a more popular All Star Game or Draft.....The top pick of The NBA Draft is going to be the cover story of every Sports page in America and The NBA All Star game gets the type of celebrity support the rivals mega Boxing matches!

    David Stern convincing FIBA to let NBA players play in World Championships and The Olympics took our game to new heights from an International standpoint!

    In terms of International popularity Basketball is second only to Soccer in terms of team sports w/ Hockey being way 3rd! Does Stern deserve all the praise for that, no....some priase, yes! In truth 12 years ago if Steph went to play in China it wouldve been comical but Stern has bridged the gap between the NBA and International teams!

    About the dress code......you know the classy comment about "a little short white man telling me what to put on my body", simply put, the first word in professional athlete is Professional! When you show up for work, you gotta dress for it! I wear my Hoodie and sneaks at home and when I go out to the bar, for meetings at work, I gotta do the suit thing!

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    303
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by New New York
    So I agree with the fact about The NBA (and its owners) had been making money off players for years and it is a bit ironic that these Billiionares are so bent out of shape about it now, but at the end of the day the NBA owners are buisness men and if buisness is not profitable then adjustments must be made....kinda a catch 22. I'm certain The guys who do all the day to day stuff for The Starbaury shoe line are not making as much off the shoes as he is.

    But.....I have to totally disagree with what he says about Stern's time passing!

    Look Basketball is my favorite Sport but it is not the best product out! The NFL because of their short season makes for better TV because there are few throw away games and each game is important, the build up of each game makes the game more marketable than most sports....that lone exception is The NBA!

    Name a more popular All Star Game or Draft.....The top pick of The NBA Draft is going to be the cover story of every Sports page in America and The NBA All Star game gets the type of celebrity support the rivals mega Boxing matches!

    David Stern convincing FIBA to let NBA players play in World Championships and The Olympics took our game to new heights from an International standpoint!

    In terms of International popularity Basketball is second only to Soccer in terms of team sports w/ Hockey being way 3rd! Does Stern deserve all the praise for that, no....some priase, yes! In truth 12 years ago if Steph went to play in China it wouldve been comical but Stern has bridged the gap between the NBA and International teams!

    About the dress code......you know the classy comment about "a little short white man telling me what to put on my body", simply put, the first word in professional athlete is Professional! When you show up for work, you gotta dress for it! I wear my Hoodie and sneaks at home and when I go out to the bar, for meetings at work, I gotta do the suit thing!
    1. MLB ASG
    2. NBA ASG
    3. NHL ASG
    4. NFL Probowl

    1. NFL Draft
    2. MLB Draft
    3. MLB Draft
    4. NHL Draft

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,270
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    People are wearing less suits these days, NEW NEW YORK. Unless there's that biz meeting with clients, interviews, court appreances, or you're in the field of sells and marketing...the suit (former office attire) is becoming a thing of the past...and fast.

    I'm actually glad too. You should never judge a book by it's cover but by it's contients. Anyone can dress up like a penguin but that doesn't mean you will be worth more then your suit. I'll take a dude in some Jordans and a fitted faster then a guy donning some Armani, especially if he knows what to do. In a way It shows me that they are in tuned with the times and will possibly present new innovative ideas instead of rehashing old idealogies...which has been proven to be a hindrance on a evolving society. The old Western look is dying out, and it seems only the old timers and followers seem to be blind to it.


    On Starbury...

    One of the reason's why I like Marbury is because he's not afraid to be himself, speak his mind, and doesn't bites his tongue for no one. There's some wisdom and truth in what he said in this article, simply pointing out one of the main reasons why basketball suffers today. I don't really like stern either, he seems to favor the owners more then the players instead of holding a neutral position. That bias alone has caused most players to rebel the way they do now.

    The Bottom line is... if there are no happy NBA players the league will be good for nothing. Eventually, it will die. However, the players can start their own league and still get the fans and finacial support/money. This simple fact can't be denied no matter how many times people turn a blind eye to it...

    If the facts aren't recognize, the owners will lose more due to their obvious greed. I hope the players win this battle. We fans (at least me) stand by them...the only owner I like in the NBA is Cuban for the Dallas Mavs. He seems like a dude the players really respect and enjoy being around. He seems to have a real passion for the game and not so much the money it brings in.

  5. #5
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Name one labor group that makes 58% of the profits. The players are insane asking for more money. They've been overpaid enough as it is. If a business is losing money, you don't ask for higher salary.

    There are plenty of owners that don't want a season at all this year. They all make money with other investments/businesses and would love to see these spoiled players try and make their own league with zero capital, no arenas, etc. The players need the NBA more than the owners do. Some of them may go to other leagues and do alright but the majority of them would not get paid as handsomely as they do in the NBA. To me, it seems the owners have the most negotiating power here. The players will have to come around.

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,270
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    If the owners start losing their talent to over sea leagues they will be forced to comply. I doubt if they would want to consider bringing in subs/scrubs like the NFL did years ago. See how that turn out...

    TBH, what I would like to see is more community based owners. I really like how the "Green Bay Packers" do it. The fans knows whats best...way more than some greedy individual owner who only knows and/or cares about the money side of sports. Green Bay is doing it the right way, their record (Geen Bay Packer's) speaks for itself.

    These greedy NBA owners need to take a look at Wisconsin. I along with others will love to invest in ownership of the Knicks. My main priority will be making my cash makers very happy. As mentioned, the stadium can earn money in other ways. This approach should also prevent/help teams from going into bankruptcy...

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    59
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I agree with The greenbay way! it makes the fans feel even more attached when they actually invest in their team and it turns small places like Greenbay Wisconsin into a united sports town, something cities like cleveland could greatly benefit from. I think we all know stern sides with the owners and the owners do hold the better leverage. If the players wanted more leverage they would have to hold a more unified stand which I dont see happening. As much as I would love to side with the players i think they need to take a paycut however i think the league would greatly benefit from public ownership.


    On a side note ...you gotta dress the part man. Suits aint going nowhere never will! If youre going to be a professional and get paid 18 mil a yr you better act like a damn professional. The same way I would never wear sweats and J's to an interview or a funeral you have to realize theres a time and place for everything but when youre trying to make money ( REAL MONEY) you dress the part always!


    And even more off topic but i had to throw this in! WE NEED BETTER OFFICIATING! these old ass referees are not cutting it and im tired of games getting blown because of completely avoidable situations...
    WORD 2 YA MOTHA

  8. #8
    Veteran nyk_nyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,529
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Name one labor group that makes 58% of the profits. The players are insane asking for more money. They've been overpaid enough as it is. If a business is losing money, you don't ask for higher salary.

    There are plenty of owners that don't want a season at all this year. They all make money with other investments/businesses and would love to see these spoiled players try and make their own league with zero capital, no arenas, etc. The players need the NBA more than the owners do. Some of them may go to other leagues and do alright but the majority of them would not get paid as handsomely as they do in the NBA. To me, it seems the owners have the most negotiating power here. The players will have to come around.
    The players aren't asking for more money. In fact they have offered to give up 300 million on the BRI. I agree there have been plenty of over-paying over the years but who's fault is that?

    I made a thread with a link to a Bill Simmons podcast. Listen to it if you haven't already.

  9. #9
    Quiet Storm New New York's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,431
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally Posted by TheBig****
    1. MLB ASG
    2. NBA ASG
    3. NHL ASG
    4. NFL Probowl

    1. NFL Draft
    2. MLB Draft
    3. MLB Draft
    4. NHL Draft

    You're really saying to me that The MLB ASG is more popular that the NBA All Star Weekend?

    And more people watch MLB Draft (which you have twice) than the NBA Draft?

    to quote Jay Z "men lie, woman lie. numbers don't" we can research that and see who has the higher ratings and I suspect the NBA beats out all comp in terms of ASG and is probally second (maybe) to The NFL in terms of draft

  10. #10
    Quiet Storm New New York's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,431
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally Posted by Real NY Baller
    People are wearing less suits these days, NEW NEW YORK. Unless there's that biz meeting with clients, interviews, court appreances, or you're in the field of sells and marketing...the suit (former office attire) is becoming a thing of the past...and fast.

    I'm actually glad too. You should never judge a book by it's cover but by it's contients. Anyone can dress up like a penguin but that doesn't mean you will be worth more then your suit. I'll take a dude in some Jordans and a fitted faster then a guy donning some Armani, especially if he knows what to do. In a way It shows me that they are in tuned with the times and will possibly present new innovative ideas instead of rehashing old idealogies...which has been proven to be a hindrance on a evolving society. The old Western look is dying out, and it seems only the old timers and followers seem to be blind to it.



    On Starbury...

    One of the reason's why I like Marbury is because he's not afraid to be himself, speak his mind, and doesn't bites his tongue for no one. There's some wisdom and truth in what he said in this article, simply pointing out one of the main reasons why basketball suffers today. I don't really like stern either, he seems to favor the owners more then the players instead of holding a neutral position. That bias alone has caused most players to rebel the way they do now.

    The Bottom line is... if there are no happy NBA players the league will be good for nothing. Eventually, it will die. However, the players can start their own league and still get the fans and finacial support/money. This simple fact can't be denied no matter how many times people turn a blind eye to it...

    If the facts aren't recognize, the owners will lose more due to their obvious greed. I hope the players win this battle. We fans (at least me) stand by them...the only owner I like in the NBA is Cuban for the Dallas Mavs. He seems like a dude the players really respect and enjoy being around. He seems to have a real passion for the game and not so much the money it brings in.

    Ok, so you are missing my point, what you wear on your body has nothing to do with you performance but rather gives the impression of a professional.

    If I showed up to play ball rocking some slacks, dress shoes and a button up, regardless of how well I play, dudes are gonna take me a little less serious, or at least think that I am not as serious about playing as they are.

    Plus David Stern made the dress code for the entire NBA, yet several teams (including The Knicks, whom Steph was playing for at the time) had already adopted a dress code YEARS prior to Stern's announcement....reason being respect for the game!

    Nellie having a beer at press conferences and back when Brett Farve was looking like a good ol boy with his faded t-shirts and beat up hats during his post game interviews are two things if I were commisioner of either league I would do away with too, reason being it just looks sloppy to me!

    But like you said times they are changing and maybe I'm too old fashioned

    Back to your assesment of Stern and the lockout....you mentioned that you think Stern is showing favortism towards the owners and the truth is year he has to! NBA owners are managing partners of The NBA, when an NBA owner buys a team its with some assurance from The NBA that he/they will have support from the NBA, they are shareholders....if I owned 1/30th of Microsoft Bill Gates is gonna advocate for me and what I want done if there is turmiol in the company, because if not I sell my stock and go invest in a different company or in this case Different Sport.

    You mention Mark Cuban as your example of an owner who seems to have the players best interest at heart above his money...and thats simply not true! Mark Cuban,our very own Jim Dolan and Jerry Buss are all examples of owners who's franchises continue to make money regardless of what the CBA is, so while they can empothize with other owner's who are struggling, they simply are not taking losses like much of the leauge, thus they would be more willing to bend to get this lockout over. So I suppose that is what you may be reading from Cuban?

    But if Cuban was taking lumps like The Hornets and Bobcats, trust me as vocal as he is about everything else he would be one of those owners (if not the main owner) talking about players being too greedy.

    I don't know how you get the impression that Mark Cuban does not care about his money, now Mark Cuban is very people savvy and seems like a fun cat and I imagine he will party with playes and show up at weddings of playrs and be the life of the crowd but dude did not get to be and stayed billionare by not taking his money and investments seriously. He will overpay players but not as a favor to them but rather he expects them to perform and that performance will increase his team's worth!

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,270
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    I don’t know about you but I can not play bball effectively in a suit, that’s why sneakers and shorts are used. Further more, there is no job in the world that dictates a person’s skills/professionalism by wearing a suit or jeans and sneakers. It’s all subconscious conditioning. In these times people are waking up fast and becoming more aware of their “follower” ways. The suit is slowly being seen for what it actually is…an unofficial uniform for the old way of the world.


    Dress codes are just another form of conformity, this link may be of some interest to you and a few others here. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    I’ve worked in the city since 14 years of age, and I’ve witnessed with my own eyes the obvious significant decline in “this work attire” over the years. As mentioned before, meetings/marketing/security… are the only true lasting platforms where looking like a clone still exist. How someone dresses should never make anyone judgmental. That is just blind arrogance which has been developed in the minds of the follower, and has always prevented some of the brightest minds form contributing to society due to their unwillingness to where suits or simply not being able to afford them nor the cleaning bill.

    If you can’t judge someone on his character/skillz than it is in my opinion that opportunities will be missed all around the board…due to fabric designs that have no real meaning/value other than the stupid ones we give it. I’m all about evolving the species and feel all old ways should be learned from instead of practiced daily…there’s no true growth in that way of thinking.

    My assessment of Stern still stands, along with my statement of producing a league with only community/player ownership. This is the only way I see issues like this lockout being handle in a way that will allow everyone (players/fans) to be happy. Cuban is a savvy business man with endeavors in other industries, I imagine him using the NBA more as a pastime hobby than a cash cow. If all NBA owners exhibited the same passion Cuban did... I’m sure there wouldn’t be a word about lockout. The game is about passion/ finesse…not dollars/cents. Mixing the 2 is like oil and water…I can clearly see that this is the biggest problem in the sport....and it's killing it.

  12. #12
    Veteran knicksin60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,670
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    When you really get to know who Stephon Marbury is you'll find out that he is one of the wisest individuals in the world.I hope he gets to own an NBA franchise some time in the future.He'd be very good for the league.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    59
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    @RealNYBaller
    As much as i agree with your way of thinking unfortunately we do not live in an ideal society where skill and merit are the only factors in job success. It has been proven in numerous studies that ones appearance is always taken into consideration on initial judgement. Physical appearance and dress do play a role in today's society take a look at this article from forbes magazine [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] . While older western civilization train of thought may be slowly dying out a humans instinct to classify and judge people will always be present and in a competitive job market and any edge you can get on the competition should not be taken lightly. A thug in a suit will always be a thug but at least at eyes glance he wont appear to be and reputation is what I think David Stern was aiming for. You are right this game is about heart unfortunately owners and players alike are guilty of greed. I think your ideas are great and i wish it worked that way but it sounds like communism to me, only good on paper bro.

  14. #14
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,487
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Name one labor group that makes 58% of the profits. The players are insane asking for more money. They've been overpaid enough as it is. If a business is losing money, you don't ask for higher salary.

    There are plenty of owners that don't want a season at all this year. They all make money with other investments/businesses and would love to see these spoiled players try and make their own league with zero capital, no arenas, etc. The players need the NBA more than the owners do. Some of them may go to other leagues and do alright but the majority of them would not get paid as handsomely as they do in the NBA. To me, it seems the owners have the most negotiating power here. The players will have to come around.
    I agree completely. The perspective is warped beyond measure.

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

    It amazes me that Marbury is yet to realise that he's become a media gimmick. Members of any media group, IMO, must refer to him as the go-to for asinine comments to fill pointless articles when the well is dry.

    “I’m grown and a little short white man isn’t telling me what I can put on my body,”


    Looks like there's still no lack in Mebury's lack of common sense. Now, as ever, he just doesn't get it.

  15. #15
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Marbury has always been outspoken. It's a business. The Hip Hop Movement did hurt the NBA's audience and Marbury did have a little bit to do with it.
    Last edited by rady; Aug 30, 2011 at 11:08.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 65
    Last Post: Dec 22, 2010, 20:02
  2. I feel bad for Marbury, having to carry the Celtics
    By MSGKnickz33 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 169
    Last Post: Nov 10, 2010, 17:15
  3. The Incredible Mismanagement Of Stephon Marbury
    By metrocard in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 107
    Last Post: Mar 09, 2009, 22:46
  4. Replies: 72
    Last Post: Feb 26, 2009, 18:50
  5. At What Point Will You Say The Knicks Are Better Without Steph?
    By Eddy Currys House Special in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 130
    Last Post: Jan 21, 2008, 16:25

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •