Draft picks

finestrg

Rotation player
Can someone please tell me exactly what draft picks we have to work with over the next couple of years, say up until 2015/16. I know we owe Houston and Denver picks. What years do we retain our picks. If someone can spell out which ones we keep and which ones we dealt away I'd appreciate it. Both 1st & 2nd rounders.. Thanks.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Can someone please tell me exactly what draft picks we have to work with over the next couple of years, say up until 2015/16. I know we owe Houston and Denver picks. What years do we retain our picks. If someone can spell out which ones we keep and which ones we dealt away I'd appreciate it. Both 1st & 2nd rounders.. Thanks.

so we owe Houston this year's pick (top 7 protected) and then we owe Denver and unconditional pick in 2014

Beyond that we own our picks!

finestrg

Rotation player
OK, thanks bro. How 'bout 2nd round picks? Do we own all of ours in upcoming years starting next summer?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
We better not trade anymore picks. We have two superstars and our homegrown Fields, let's keep this good thing going.

finestrg

Rotation player
Well if the rule stays the same (can't trade 1st round picks on back-to-back years --- not sure if that rule also pertains to 2nd rounders in back-to-back years) we won't be able to trade a pick until 2016 at the earliest.

Personally I hope they change the rule though --- if we elect to trade our pick in the summer of 2013, we should be able to do so. Why the hell not?? All indications are, with Amar'e & Melo leading the way, we should be a top echelon-type team by then, maybe as early as this coming year...I gotta believe we should be a top 5 team by then, at least top 8 say which would put that pick anywhere from 22-30. You figure you always have a chance of dealing for a pick in the 25-30 range (TD) and in the 2nd round (Jordan, Jorts) as we've seen in recent years. If we're willing to deal a pick in order to make a trade for the here and now, we should be able to do so..To me, that's what it's all about now -- building around STAT/Melo ASAP, anyway possible. No league rule should restrict what kind of trade package we'd be willing to put together for the here & now. I think that's rediculous. It should be our prerogative. How the hell are we gonna make a trade with New Orleans for CP3 w/o being able to trade a 1st round pick until the summer of 2016?? If we really need and want Paul, we better hope he plays hardball with his team's front office (much better than Melo did) and tells them 'it's NY or I'm not signing an extension.' Otherwise, say if Paul gives them a list of a few different teams, it's a wrap..Doubtful we'd be able to compete in terms of trade assets. Hey, maybe the Hornets would accept a 2016 pick in a package--we'd probably have to deal a 2016 & a 2018 minimum--it just feels too off in the distance to entice.

Here's hoping this rule changes, man. I either want that 2013 pick available to trade right now if the right situation presents itself or I want it available to use in a trade offer for CP3 if and when the time comes..It should be our choice.

Last edited:
Well if the rule stays the same (can't trade 1st round picks on back-to-back years --- not sure if that rule also pertains to 2nd rounders in back-to-back years) we won't be able to trade a pick until 2016 at the earliest.

Personally I hope they change the rule though --- if we elect to trade our pick in the summer of 2013, we should be able to do so. Why the hell not?? All indications are, with Amar'e & Melo leading the way, we should be a top echelon-type team by then, maybe as early as this coming year...I gotta believe we should be a top 5 team by then, at least top 8 say which would put that pick anywhere from 22-30. You figure you always have a chance of dealing for a pick in the 25-30 range (TD) and in the 2nd round (Jordan, Jorts) as we've seen in recent years. If we're willing to deal a pick in order to make a trade for the here and now, we should be able to do so..To me, that's what it's all about now -- building around STAT/Melo ASAP, anyway possible. No league rule should restrict what kind of trade package we'd be willing to put together for the here & now. I think that's rediculous. It should be our prerogative. How the hell are we gonna make a trade with New Orleans for CP3 w/o being able to trade a 1st round pick until the summer of 2016?? If we really need and want Paul, we better hope he plays hardball with his team's front office (much better than Melo did) and tells them 'it's NY or I'm not signing an extension.' Otherwise, say if Paul gives them a list of a few different teams, it's a wrap..Doubtful we'd be able to compete in terms of trade assets. Hey, maybe the Hornets would accept a 2016 pick in a package--we'd probably have to deal a 2016 & a 2018 minimum--it just feels too off in the distance to entice.

Here's hoping this rule changes, man. I either want that 2013 pick available to trade right now if the right situation presents itself or I want it available to use in a trade offer for CP3 if and when the time comes..It should be our choice.

for what chris paul means to the new orleans area, I dont see him playing hard ball at all, in fact he means so much more to that team and city than melo ever did in denver; the pressure would be lebron esque in that the entire franchise would fall to the waste side if chris paul left; with david west deteriorating, and okafors bloated contract; new orleans would be left in shambles if paul demanded a trade for knicks role players. Chris paul will not be traded here, he will sign here or sign with another team with available cap space that year.