Sports Illustrated top 100 players................

knickscity

Benchwarmer
"The Point Forward?s top 100 list is designed to spotlight the best NBA players on both ends of the floor, regardless of salary or current team context. The rankings are based on where players stand at this very moment, with the (still theoretical) 2011-12 season approaching."

Very first sentence in the article explains why they are where they are.

I mean just looking at some of the player ahead of them tho... Zach Randolph isn't a great defender at all... and He definitely isn't a better offensive player than either of the two.. yet he's at 13? Pau Gasol.. same thing yet he's at number 9?

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
^

I know!

And Aldridge, Pierce and Garnett over STAT and Melo. It's one of the ****ing harbingers of the apocalypse, surely.

knickscity

Benchwarmer
The guy is merely pulling stats from all aspects of the game. You are shorting Zach,basedon the stats angle

20/10 for basically his whole career,and he excelled last year.

He is just as good on offense as Amar'e, as far as the jumper goes, and has three point range , and is an excellent rebounder, especially on the offensive glass.

Plus Zach is a decent defender, Amar'e probably has the worst defense of any player to be an All-Star, given the athleticism he possesses.

Pau is one of the most complete bigmen in the game still.

I don't think these guys are better than ours, but stats wise, which this guy clearly is using, other have impact on both sides of the ball more than Stat and Melo,which is true.

The guy is merely pulling stats from all aspects of the game. You are shorting Zach,basedon the stats angle

20/10 for basically his whole career,and he excelled last year.

He is just as good on offense as Amar'e, as far as the jumper goes, and has three point range , and is an excellent rebounder, especially on the offensive glass.

Plus Zach is a decent defender, Amar'e probably has the worst defense of any player to be an All-Star, given the athleticism he possesses.

Pau is one of the most complete bigmen in the game still.

I don't think these guys are better than ours, but stats wise, which this guy clearly is using, other have impact on both sides of the ball more than Stat and Melo,which is true.
Zach Randolph is on the same level as Amare as far as defense goes...

Now bout we put Amare over Zach because he blocks more shots? This list is stupid

knickscity

Benchwarmer
Zach Randolph is on the same level as Amare as far as defense goes...

Now bout we put Amare over Zach because he blocks more shots? This list is stupid
Zach is not nearly as bad defensively as Amar'e, Zach at least will box out.

Can Amar'e sniff Randolph's rebounding? No, not even close.

Which do you value more? 12 boards a game or 2 blocks.

Basically, all lists are subjective, the top 10 in any list is usually the bar for the list.

The guy stated how he made the list, and the list is consistent in what he said.....both sides of the ball.

Everyone in the top 10 are exceptional to solid defenders, and are very good scorers.

Everything after top 10 is personal opinion, he just chose to open up a stat book.

Zach is not nearly as bad defensively as Amar'e, Zach at least will box out.

Can Amar'e sniff Randolph's rebounding? No, not even close.

Which do you value more? 12 boards a game or 2 blocks.

Basically, all lists are subjective, the top 10 in any list is usually the bar for the list.

The guy stated how he made the list, and the list is consistent in what he said.....both sides of the ball.

Everyone in the top 10 are exceptional to solid defenders, and are very good scorers.

Everything after top 10 is personal opinion, he just chose to open up a stat book.
Very true. This list is very subjective to say the least.

Pau Gasol? After the season (Specifially the playoffs) he just had really??? Also don't see why Deron Williams is so far ahead of Melo, Amare

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
List was terrible.

The idea of Melo and Amar'e being worse than LaMarcus Aldridge and Russell Westbrook is an absolute joke. Westbrook's shot selection makes him little better than Monta Ellis.

And what about Blake Griffin's position on that list? Do people seriously think that Blake Griffin is better than Carmelo? My goodness.

knickscity

Benchwarmer
Agreed, the list actually is a good list.

OP, you just being a homer to Melo and Amar'e.

The guys ahead of them play better defense and have the criteria he used......stats to show for it.

And once again as far as why Zach is ahead of Amar'e especially, is because not only does Zach's impact on offense just as good as Amar'e, as %'s go, Zach has the basic element of defense for a big.....BOXING OUT.

As does Blake, combined with averaging just under 4 assists at a PF.

It's a stats game to the writer, the top 10 is solid, the 11-20 could stand some movement, but Melo and Amar'e are in the spots close to where they should be.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Seems more like a popularity contest. I'm still waiting for people to realize that Monta Ellis scored .9 less points per game than Rose, shooting .6% higher from the field and .3% higher from 3 point range. While also averaging 2.1 steals vs Rose's 1.0. The only large statistical margin that Rose has is in FT% where he was at 85% and Monta at 78%. I mean....Rose averaged 7.7 assists as the PG, and Monta averaged 5.6 as a time share between PG and 2. Several times he hit double digit assists with Steph on the court. I don't think 2.1 assists diff between PG and non-PG is enough to quantify why they're so far apart on that list.

But Rose is #9 and Monta is #44? And don't even talk about wins, because Deron is #7 and Blake is #14.

If the game of basketball is a statistical game to this dude, how are those guys 35 spots apart?

Plus: Monta's 5.6 assists was the third highest among non-PGs behind LBJ and Iggy. But even Iggy is sitting at 30 and Monta is 40 ****ing 4th?

Funny.

How is Nash a better defender than Melo? And if Durant is top 10 then why isn't Melo? Durant and Melo are pretty much the same defensively imo.

How is Nash a better defender than Melo? And if Durant is top 10 then why isn't Melo? Durant and Melo are pretty much the same defensively imo.
Exactly! This is almost like going in order of whose on a better team. Which in that case its more of a team award more than a whose the best of the best IMO. There's some pretty average and sub par defenders ahead of Melo and Amare on this list. We already know what those 2 can do on offense so I won't even stress that..

nyk_nyk

All Star
Seems more like a popularity contest. I'm still waiting for people to realize that Monta Ellis scored .9 less points per game than Rose, shooting .6% higher from the field and .3% higher from 3 point range. While also averaging 2.1 steals vs Rose's 1.0. The only large statistical margin that Rose has is in FT% where he was at 85% and Monta at 78%. I mean....Rose averaged 7.7 assists as the PG, and Monta averaged 5.6 as a time share between PG and 2. Several times he hit double digit assists with Steph on the court. I don't think 2.1 assists diff between PG and non-PG is enough to quantify why they're so far apart on that list.

But Rose is #9 and Monta is #44? And don't even talk about wins, because Deron is #7 and Blake is #14.

If the game of basketball is a statistical game to this dude, how are those guys 35 spots apart?

Plus: Monta's 5.6 assists was the third highest among non-PGs behind LBJ and Iggy. But even Iggy is sitting at 30 and Monta is 40 ****ing 4th?

Funny.

Good point. I do agree that after the top 10 its subjective to say the least, but the difference between Rose and Ellis (from a pure statistical standpoint)
is NOT a 35 spot difference.