Can Mike Woodson really make an impact

Kiyaman

Legend
Running is not the problem, early perimeter shots can be an issue. If we play a team like the Cs, who don't crash the offensive board, but instead gets back on D and rely on high percentage shots in the half court, they'll be able to contend with us running, and also crash the defensive boards to make us go one-and-done. Getting a stop on defense means nothing if you push the ball up the court, put up an early jumper, and can't get the rebound because your rebounders haven't established any sort of position because they're either not in a spot to do so, or they are being boxed out, etc.

I don't see a problem with running as long as we're running to the rim, and not settling for the first open three, with very little chance of grabbing a board. I also want to see the team develop an offense that can compete with a team that slows the game down, and creates fewer possessions. The more tools in the tool-belt, the better chance of success.

Those things have nothing to do with defense. They're team philosophy, and I for one, am tired of being a fan of a team that "lives by the 3, and dies by the 3." I want my team to be the one that can give it to you from the inside, outside, defensively, or a combo of all 3. There seriously shouldn't be any argument against that. But the past few years tells us that MDA wants his system to be the victor with very little outside influence. I can't tell anyone what the future will hold, but the Knicks need a culture change to get to the top, not just an assistant coach to take over defense and teach the fundamentals of helping the helper.

I guess we'll see what happens when the lockout ends.

:agreed: :agreed: Mike Dantoni's final season.... Woodson is more
than just the assistant headcoach of defense.

Im predictin a 50+ season.

Woodson & Joe Johnson put the Hawks "team" on the map the
past 4 seasons.....imagine what "Woodson & Billups" could do to
the Knicks in the next two seasons???
Woodson is not alergic to playing bigmen for an inside game or new to
recruiting decent bigmen.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Some quality posts by all in this thread but particularly from Red and nuckles. A fast paced system does not have to equate to poor defense. All it effects is PPG, which really shouldn't be a valid indicator of how good a team is defensively. If we can be in the middle in terms of opponents fg%, and lead in other categories such as steals, blocked shots and the one category that I feel hurt us the most last season, rebounds...we will be one of the best teams in the league combined with our offense. I mean, who cares if we win 115-107 or 87-82?

So, can Woodson make enough of an impact in our opponents fg% and rebounds? Certainly, but what it will really take is for our "stars" to buy into it and lead by example. If not, it doesn't matter who we have at coach. George Karl really struggled to get Melo to commit to defense and we all know how awful Amare is at man-to-man defense and rebounding. They both talk a nice game, but need to show it on the court consistently for the Knicks to have any chance. It's about effort with those two, nothing more.

Last edited:

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Some quality posts by all in this thread but particularly from Red and nuckles. A fast paced system does not have to equate to poor defense. All it effects is PPG, which really shouldn't be a valid indicator of how good a team is defensively. If we can be in the middle in terms of opponents fg%, and lead in other categories such as steals, blocked shots and the one category that I feel hurt us the most last season, rebounds...we will be one of the best teams in the league combined with our offense. I mean, who cares if we win 115-107 or 87-82?

So, can Woodson make enough of an impact in our opponents fg% and rebounds? Certainly, but what it will really take is for our "stars" to buy into it and lead by example. If not, it doesn't matter who we have at coach. George Karl really struggled to get Melo to commit to defense and we all know how awful Amare is at man-to-man defense and rebounding. They both talk a nice game, but need to show it on the court consistently for the Knicks to have any chance. It's about effort with those two, nothing more.
Hopefully now that Amar'e has pressure off him on offense with Melo and Billups, he can at least get back to his blocking shots form. Blocked shots, is obviously a positive on defense, and brings energy to the team. The Amar'e Blocking Shots Spree was also the stretch when we were doing good.

Hopefully we get Reggie Evans at the vet. minimum. That game against the Cavs two days after the trade was dreadful with the rebounding, even for a new team.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah, Reggie Evans would be a good player for us to have. Having Reggie Evans would take us from being a below-average rebounding team to being a slightly above average one, and that could do wonders for us.

Paul1355

All Star
As of today, I don't believe that there will be a 11-12 season...Chandler signed for a Chinese team, with no option to terminate the contract. Surely he must be 100% sure that there will be no season...

So we'll have to wait over a year to see Melo, STAT and Douglas back in action at MSG. Will be a long long time.....

do you really think Wilson Chandler wants to play in Denver?

He is going to be a big time player in a chinese league because of his skill but more importantly, his name. Playing with NY for many years made people in China know who he is. Melo left Denver because he saw NY as the Meccaand Denver as some random place he didnt belong anymore, Chandler has NY engraved in him. He will try to be a Knick again.

So I think Chandler knew he might have Gallinari taking his starting spot, so he goes to China, tears the league up and gets a nice contract. We've seen even average players get good deals because of a good experience over seas, just look at Josh Childress; contract, one he didnt deserve. Imagine what Chandler will get in the 12-13 season.

nuckles2k2

Superstar

He is going to be a big time player in a chinese league because of his skill but more importantly, his name. Playing with NY for many years made people in China know who he is. Melo left Denver because he saw NY as the Meccaand Denver as some random place he didnt belong anymore, Chandler has NY engraved in him. He will try to be a Knick again.

So I think Chandler knew he might have Gallinari taking his starting spot, so he goes to China, tears the league up and gets a nice contract. We've seen even average players get good deals because of a good experience over seas, just look at Josh Childress; contract, one he didnt deserve. Imagine what Chandler will get in the 12-13 season.

This is actually a really good point. I just assumed Wilson was blazed out of his mind and said "you know what would be funny....if I signed in a Chinaman league...yea, let's go do dat."

But I could see this as a likely scenario too.

So I think Chandler knew he might have Gallinari taking his starting spot
, so he goes to China, tears the league up and gets a nice contract. We've seen even average players get good deals because of a good experience over seas, just look at Josh Childress; contract, one he didnt deserve. Imagine what Chandler will get in the 12-13 season.
You do know that Chandler is a FA right? He doesn't have to play in Denver.

Kiyaman

Legend
You do know that Chandler is a FA right? He doesn't have to play in Denver.

There is a big difference between a restricted FA vs unrestricted FA......

Hell No! Nuggets plus George Karl is bad news.

So I think Chandler knew he might have Gallinari taking his starting spot

I doubt that....Gallo will never be as good as Wilson Chandler.

pat

Starter
I doubt that....Gallo will never be as good as Wilson Chandler.

I know you are not a Gallo fan, but did you see him in the FIBA EuroBasket tournament. Andrea Bargnani and Marco Belinelli both choked. Gallo didn't. I was really impressed with his performance especially the way he drew fouls against Nowitzki, getting him into trouble within 15 minutes.

Kiyaman

Legend
I know you are not a Gallo fan, but did you see him in the FIBA EuroBasket tournament. Andrea Bargnani and Marco Belinelli both choked. Gallo didn't. I was really impressed with his performance especially the way he drew fouls against Nowitzki, getting him into trouble within 15 minutes.

Truth be said.....I was satisfied with the great performance we were getting
from Gallo & Chandler at the SF spot lastseason. I wanted to keep both
players to "man" the SF position for the future. I was against the Melo trade.

Denver only had 3 players that I wanted on the deadline.....Nene, Afflalo,
and Billups for Curry, Turiaf, AR, and Felton.
It looks like Gallo will be getting ahelluvalot of playingtime next season in
Denver at both foward spots.

Even if he's a restricted FA that doesn't mean he has to stay with Denver.
Yes it does.....the Knicks down played Chandler's performance for 4 straight
years by never letting Chandler develope his skills at his natural SF position.
I believe Denver offered Chandler $3.1M per to resign. Chandler is worth
twice that amount.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
It doesn't mean he has to stay with Denver.

It just means that Denver has the right to match any offer given to Chandler. If they don't feel like paying him 5 mil/year and someone does, then Chandler gets to sign with whomever he wants. The exception is if Denver wants to match any offer given to him, which I doubt will happen.

Truth be said.....I was satisfied with the great performance we were getting
from Gallo & Chandler at the SF spot lastseason. I wanted to keep both
players to "man" the SF position for the future. I was against the Melo trade.

Denver only had 3 players that I wanted on the deadline.....Nene, Afflalo,
and Billups for Curry, Turiaf, AR, and Felton.
It looks like Gallo will be getting ahelluvalot of playingtime next season in
Denver at both foward spots.

Yes it does.....the Knicks down played Chandler's performance for 4 straight
years by never letting Chandler develope his skills at his natural SF position.
I believe Denver offered Chandler $3.1M per to resign. Chandler is worth
twice that amount.

FOOL

wilson chandler ?

2-10 one night 8-11 the next ?

gallinari

2-10 from three one night 5-7 the next ?

I am sorry , but neither one of these guys single handedly can provie upwards of 15-20 extra wins a season

Carmelo anthony easily gets any team in the league an extra 25 wins every year

with out melo on that nuggets squad ( not including the trade, just take him off the nuggets ) they miss the playoffs for the past 8 seasons.

you put Melo on the bucks, nets, clippers, pistons, raptors, bobcats, warriors, kings, jazz.... you get the picture, well lets delve deeper into this for fun sake

check my new thread