Thread: Wilson Chandler goes to China

Hybrid View

Default Wilson Chandler goes to China

he won't be playing in NBA if there is 2011/2012 season:

DENVER (AP)—Nuggets restricted free agent [Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ] will play in China this season and won’t be able to opt out of his deal and return to the NBA if there is a 2011-12 season.
    Chandler’s agent, Chris Luchey, tells The Associated Press his client will play for Zhejiang Guangsha of the Chinese Basketball Association.

ESPN.com first reported the signing.
    Earlier this month, the CBA said it will welcome free-agent NBA players, but will require them to play an entire season in China. The declaration came after [Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and others expressed interest in playing there if the NBA lockout drags on and results in the cancellation of all or part of next season.
    In China, the 24-year-old Chandler will play for former NBA coach Jim Cleamons.

Wow, brave decision! Completely different culture, completely unknown language and communism. I dunno if I could be happy in China....Will the Thrill appears to be pretty 'American' to me. I bet he'll get homesick pretty fast.

Wish him the best though, quality player!

WOW at first I saw this thread and was like "whats the big deal" until I was reminded that China clubs are not allowing NBA players that "out clause"

In theory will can make his 3.5 with a China club this year and sign on with a NBA team in April (end of the Chinese League's season) and make out pretty well financially this year

But he could not be on a playoff roster because the date in which you could add a player to your playoff roster wouldve come and gone.

Plus....3.5 million? Wilson was set to make about 5 million this year easily, plus the contract he signs with an NBA team in the spring would be proratted, so he will only make a fraction of the amount he actually signs for.

He is likely the best player over there now so he will make money off endorsements and such.

Maybe because deep down inside I wanted Wil to come back to The Knicks as he was my favorite player since his first summer league game when he (ironically) dominated Yi and the Chinesse National team is why I am against this move!

Best of Luck Wilson, see you next season Bro!

Originally Posted by Sprewell-Houston
    Wow, brave decision! Completely different culture, completely unknown language and communism.
    Communism really? They have got a totalitarian one party system, but that doesn't make it a communist country. Pessimists would say that this nothing more than a foretaste of what is to come for many of us. Money is getting sucked out of the western world 24-7, just look at China's international trade surplus. This money has to come from somebody else's pockets and the current lockout is an early symptom of money being transferred from the USA/Europe to emerging markets. I wouldn't be surprised about more quality players from all kinds of nations getting Chinese contracts which are more lucrative than NBA ones.
    Last edited by pat; Sep 16, 2011 at 02:05.

Originally Posted by pat
    Communism really? They have got a totalitarian one party system, but that doesn't make it a communist country. Pessimists would say that this nothing more than a foretaste of what is to come for many of us. Money is getting sucked out of the western world 24-7, just look at China's international trade surplus this money has to come from somebody's pockets and the current lockout is an early symptom of money being transferred from the USA/Europe to emerging markets. I wouldn't be surprised about more quality players from all kinds of nations getting Chinese contracts which are more lucrative than NBA ones.
    The only entity that has a worse record on human rites in the world is American Airlines. Japan is packed with Chinese ex-pats that fled the rich V poor see-saw.

China is a morally bankrupt country. Been there numerous times for business, and am not looking forward to going back.

Bad move by Wil, BTW.

Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s
    The only entity that has a worse record on human rites in the world is American Airlines. Japan is packed with Chinese ex-pats that fled the rich V poor see-saw.

China is a morally bankrupt country. Been there numerous times for business, and am not looking forward to going back.

Bad move by Wil, BTW.
    Agreed. But Communist?

Originally Posted by pat
    Agreed. But Communist?
    To a degree, yes. Not on the North Korea scale, but you can look up that which hasn't been blanketed by their government and see some very, very ****ed up stuff. Their government are more twisted than Animal Farm.

Wow no out clause? That's pretty stupid he must be sure that there won't be an 11/12 season.

Default Wilson Chan-Duh

Wilson Chan-Duh must be the either the stupidest player in the league, or the smartest, if his agent really has inside knowledge of 2011-12 NBA season being a bust. no opt-out clause? making less than 1/2 of what he'd make on an NBA team? maybe Chan or his agent needs the money now, to buy some primo herbage, or pay off debts, who knows. this is a shadowy move from a professional viewpoint, but I wouldn't put it past a vapid player like Chan-Duh, or a greedy agent who wrote the writing on the wall for the end of Will-Lee's Knick career by having him become a free agent who was going to command/demand 10-12 million a year... i guess that dream is out the window. this just smells bad, like rotten leftover chinese food you forgot to put in the fridge. Chan and his agent can suck it. so wrong Wilson!

i'm glad this is not in the Knicks thread.

did not expect this.

Looks like Jr. Smith is going with him.. These guys agents much be telling them something for them to throw away any possiblilty of palying in the NBA next season.