NBA 2k12 looks disappointing

smokes

Huge Member
Just saw the new trailer for NBA 2K12 that everyone is hyping over. Don't see what the big deal is. Another few minutes of HD gameplay footage that looks exactly the same as last year. Same dunk animations, same jumpshot animations, same dribble moves.

I honestly couldn't care less about playing against HOF players in fact I wouldn't want to I like a "realistic" gaming experience.

Although I don't like NBA Live or Elite or whatever its called it's a shame they canned it, 2ksports are just slacking with no competition whatsoever.

If this game is a significant improvement over last year I'd be very surprised. Plus it's been 3 years now that 2ksports can't get their servers to actually be any good so people can play decent online games.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
its a minor improvement from the former. However i do like that they seem to have improved sliders and the speed seems realistic graphics are tweeked a little bit--for the better though. but the one way to truly know how much better it is from last years is by actually playing it. cant wait for it.

and dont forget this major point-- they are competing against themselves to sell games for at least another year. so look for the major stuff to come next year.

I can care less about the legends myself. I will wait til more is release don the game seeing as 2k usually releases the bulk of their info pretty late. Right now it doesn't seem a whole lot different from 2k11 tho. I will say some animations look a bit smoother tho.

New New York

Quiet Storm
NBA 2k11 is considered the best basketball game ever (not my assessment) so any improvement, even a slight one is fine by me!

Point being, it should still blow any other game out of the market

Plus who knows, the good folks at 2k sports may have held back some in fear of the lockout

Yep. And about the servers.. They haven't been good since they got rid of the chat lobbies imo. That's when shit seemed to start going downhill.. Some people will say they've never been good.

smokes

Huge Member
You mad :boohoo:

Why would I be "mad"? Plenty of other games to play.

Just a shame they are sliding by because there's no competition to keep them honest.

2k11 was practically the same as 2k10. Now 2k12 is looking to be the same as 11. So 3 iterations of this game with more or less no differentiating qualities. All the same commentary, same dull game modes, same lack of online quality, same dumb ass CPU trades, same silent home crowds when you just hit a game winner in the NBA finals... The gameplay of 2k11 was good, maybe 7-8 out of 10. Presentation, online, and thought that goes into the modes was maybe 2-3 out of 10. That stuff matters.

Go play a game of FIFA, watch the crowd go absolutely berzerk when you score a 90th minute winner. Then go play the NBA finals and watch the crowd yawn as you win the championship. Yeahhhhhhh

smokes

Huge Member
2k11 was nothing like 2k10..

Lol in what way wasn't it like 2k10? The commentary is exactly the same with maybe 100 extra bits thrown in. The gameplay modes were identical. My Player didn't see any new features apart from the press conferences after the game. Association played out exactly the same with awful CPU trades and ridiculous results like the Nets winning the championship. Crowds/bench were exactly the same. All the animations were the same.

2k11 was 2k10 + Jordan mode. And a few bug fixes which should have just been patches anyway.

It took me a minute til I got really comfortable playing 2k11 after transitioning from 2k10. Gameplay was just different. Maybe 2k dumbed the game down alittle after the last patch they released but at first it was pretty hard to pull the same exploits 2k10 had in 2k11. That's when ppl bitched and moaned to 2k like every time they do something right, then they release a patch or 2 that ****s up all the good they had done.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
What new modes are they gonna add? It's basketball...Association for the full team control, My Player for a single person's career, and now the Legends stuff. Should they add in a "make it rain in the club" mode, or a mini-game where you sneak guns into the locker room?

I never understood when people said "this sports game has the same modes as last year," that's because it's the same sport....all they can do is improve those modes to mirror real life.

The devs work with the same engine over and over and over and over since the game is an annual release, so if you're looking for drastic changes, you're gonna have to wait for the next set of consoles to come out. Unless Take Two decides to let 2K Sports take a year or two off and either make a brand new engine for the game, or bring the game over to a different one and have to work out all the issues.

The changes they make to 2K are subtle ones that's geared towards the hardcore gamer. Like this year the ball has it's own set of physics, and you can literally lose your dribble from trying to get too fancy, and the AI is supposed to be smarter when running plays against you. Last year, when the CPU called a play, if you knew what was coming it was game-set-match blouses (some of you will get the reference); but this year the AI actually adjusts to your adjustments....they're supposed to play smarter basketball. Those two things alone would make a fan of 2K11 (pre-patches) say "yes, dear god yes" but if you're looking for basketball players with jet packs and ish (cause I dunno what other changes you'd want to an NBA game that accurately depicts the NBA) then 2K was never geared towards you to begin with.

I know commentary is a big part of the immersion factor, but it shouldn't be a game breaker. It can be annoying, but it can also be turned off if it's not up to your standards.

P.S. They took Kellog out and added Kerr this year. But be warned...if they're commentating on a basketball game then it might be more of the same, because basketball hasn't exactly changed from 2k11 to 2k12.

smokes

Huge Member
What new modes are they gonna add? It's basketball...Association for the full team control, My Player for a single person's career, and now the Legends stuff. Should they add in a "make it rain in the club" mode, or a mini-game where you sneak guns into the locker room?

I never understood when people said "this sports game has the same modes as last year," that's because it's the same sport....all they can do is improve those modes to mirror real life.

The devs work with the same engine over and over and over and over since the game is an annual release, so if you're looking for drastic changes, you're gonna have to wait for the next set of consoles to come out. Unless Take Two decides to let 2K Sports take a year or two off and either make a brand new engine for the game, or bring the game over to a different one and have to work out all the issues.

The changes they make to 2K are subtle ones that's geared towards the hardcore gamer. Like this year the ball has it's own set of physics, and you can literally lose your dribble from trying to get too fancy, and the AI is supposed to be smarter when running plays against you. Last year, when the CPU called a play, if you knew what was coming it was game-set-match blouses (some of you will get the reference); but this year the AI actually adjusts to your adjustments....they're supposed to play smarter basketball. Those two things alone would make a fan of 2K11 (pre-patches) say "yes, dear god yes" but if you're looking for basketball players with jet packs and ish (cause I dunno what other changes you'd want to an NBA game that accurately depicts the NBA) then 2K was never geared towards you to begin with.

I know commentary is a big part of the immersion factor, but it shouldn't be a game breaker. It can be annoying, but it can also be turned off if it's not up to your standards.

P.S. They took Kellog out and added Kerr this year. But be warned...if they're commentating on a basketball game then it might be more of the same, because basketball hasn't exactly changed from 2k11 to 2k12.

I don't expect them to add new game modes, but maybe actually fix some of the issues which makes the game modes horrifically shit would be a start.

As I said, CPU trades are ridiculous. Solution? Add an option to approve/veto CPU trades instead of having to just turn it off entirely. If the trade looks like it might actually happen in a million years you could approve it. This has been suggested to 2k, year after year, yet they don't bother with it.

My Player mode is an absolute joke. A 55 rated player wins the MVP, Finals MVP, ROY, DPOTY and every other award under the sun in their first season. Playing on HOF. The bonus points objectives are often ridiculous (block 3 shots in a game as a PG, limit your opposite number to 4 assists when its CP3, etc). After putting up 20/10 in the first half of a game your coach will sub you out for the rest of the game and the team will lose (ok kinda realistic since my player plays for Mike D'Antoni but still). ALso the hilarious lineups your coach will put out like 5 guys under 6'6 while the other team just dunks and post moves all over your face for the rest of the game.

Not too bothered about the commentary it's only a minor gripe. However the crowd reactions really are a joke, when every EA sports game manages to get this right I find it hard to believe 2ksports can't manage it.

These are not hard things to fix, they just don't bother.

I'm not saying 2kXX are not the best basketball games available, they are, it's just DISAPPOINTING (see thread title) that they can't be arsed to fix such glaring errors in the game.

I can only assume you are another poster that doesn't bother to actually read the contents of a post and just infers what they want to hear and then tries to dissect it. Not once did I say I wanted new gameplay modes. Not once did I say I wanted "jetpacks and ish". Just that they fix the parts of the game which would be so simple yet so effective at making it a more enjoyable experience.

smokes

Huge Member
Oh and also I don't know why they haven't stolen NBA Live 10's dribbling system yet. The 2k dribble system is pretty bad if you ask me, all these preset animations and each time you try a double cross or a behind the back or a spin move it's 50/50 whether you will lose your dribble/get called for a charge etc etc etc. I believe it was Mike Wong who developed the engine for NBA Live and now he has gone back to 2k I'm surprised they haven't stolen this yet.

p0nder

Starter
but if you're looking for basketball players with jet packs and ish

yeah **** 2k i'ma go get NBA Jam and just rock that for the next year instead.

In all honesty tho, 2k11 was the best basketball game i've ever played (next to the original NBA Jam Arcade machine).

KBlack25

Starter
Honestly, I've never really loved a basketball game.

I think most of the hoops games are trash anyway, they can't get the computer to think/react like a real player would/should, and to me that's very frustrating.

TCR4CK

Rookie
Honestly last years 2k was one of the best games ive ever playd... i think if the game was $150 i still would cop because its actually worth that much.