Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many wills would melo give these teams

Melo has made over $100 mil in his career thus far. Whatever contract he was going to get after a new CBA would have been enough money to support me, my family and all my friends for the rest of our lives. That's not including the $100 mil he's already made. You guys make it sound like he was going to be in the poor house if he didn't demand the trade. He's a max star, he would have been fine. The other players that are free agents this year and are not max stars stand to lose the most money in the new CBA. Yet we didn't hear a peep from them.

We're talking about the difference between $165 mil total and probably $150 mil total salary (not including all his newly found endorsement deals for being in NY). When a businessman or congressman makes those sort of decisions we all call it greed but when an athlete on our favorite team does it we call it a "smart business move" and "he's got to look out for his family". SMH.

Originally Posted by p0nder
    And suppose Melo didn't sign with us or was traded to the Nets instead? Suppose he decided that he needed to get paid now because no one knew what the new league was going to be like in terms of compensation. You'd be an idiot to not sign for your million's now. I'm glad that Anthony is not stupid enough to go that route. It shows a great level of intelligence and business savvy.

I mean, can you really blame the guy for wanting to have his financial situation solidified? I don't think any shrewd businessman would turn down the offer.

Denver was going to trade melo one way or another. And if they traded him for beans to the nets and they made a push to the playoffs or even if he just liked playing there and decided it was close enough to "home" with the shift to Brooklyn and all then we would look like chumps.

It's not as "black-and-white" as letting him walk to FA and being sure he'd sign here. The knicks made a good move to get him and lost a bunch of players that at the end of the day are replaceable. A player of Anthony's talent is not easily replaced. Add to your considerations that having him for the end of the season and playoff series allowed our players to gel, our staff to evaluate and our management to make moves and discuss with certainty and I beleive it was a good trade.

If the passing of time proves you to be right LJ4pt, then perhaps we will look back on this as another decade of remorse and "what if's" but i'd rather the "what if" of pulling that trigger then the "what if" we would live with from keeping chander and gallo.
    I was not worried about Melo going to the Nets. He signs there, then fine. The deal the Nets had to give away for Melo would have decimated them too. Better them than us. Melo rotting in NJ/Brooklyn on that pathetic team didn't scare me at all.

And as I said, I can think of a dozen or so realistic scenarios involving trades and/or free agent signings that would have made us a better team than the one we may be stuck with.

Originally Posted by InGodsHands
    Exactly. Before the trade we had a team which showed some signs of chemistry. Now we have 2 overrated superstars who can't co-exist together, can't make each other better, can't make their teammates better. Two selfish scorers. And aging Billups + bunch of scrubs. Even if we get 3rd superstar (which is likely not going to happen anyway because we have no pieces to trade and new CBA may not allow this to happen) still we would get owned by Bulls or Heat.

I never said the knicks talent was shattered, I said CORE CORE CORE

their talent has increased tremendously, and the chemistry will eventually be there. I beg to differ that that chemistry was there with the former early season squad; based on the fact that they were playing terrrrible going into the all star break, after starting 22-15 they lost something like 10 out of 15 before the melo trade, so dont act like they were 27-14 top 3 team in the east, then melo came over and destroyed us

I said our CORE was shattered, in terms of our team we improved.

i smell hater

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Melo has made over $100 mil in his career thus far. Whatever contract he was going to get after a new CBA would have been enough money to support me, my family and all my friends for the rest of our lives. That's not including the $100 mil he's already made. You guys make it sound like he was going to be in the poor house if he didn't demand the trade. He's a max star, he would have been fine. The other players that are free agents this year and are not max stars stand to lose the most money in the new CBA. Yet we didn't hear a peep from them.

We're talking about the difference between $165 mil total and probably $150 mil total salary (not including all his newly found endorsement deals for being in NY). When a businessman or congressman makes those sort of decisions we all call it greed but when an athlete on our favorite team does it we call it a "smart business move" and "he's got to look out for his family". SMH.

you can easily argue that him saying hes got to look out for his family, and a smart business move; meaning his wife has an affinity with NY, and what better business move for a superstar is there outside of playing for a NY franchise.

He was honest; it is best for his family, and a smart business move, whats wrong with that ?

Exactly. Before the trade we had a team which showed some signs of chemistry. Now we have 2 overrated superstars who can't co-exist together, can't make each other better, can't make their teammates better. Two selfish scorers. And aging Billups + bunch of scrubs. Even if we get 3rd superstar (which is likely not going to happen anyway because we have no pieces to trade and new CBA may not allow this to happen) still we would get owned by Bulls or Heat.
    Cassandra.

Originally Posted by DontForgetDerekHarper
    you can easily argue that him saying hes got to look out for his family, and a smart business move; meaning his wife has an affinity with NY, and what better business move for a superstar is there outside of playing for a NY franchise.

He was honest; it is best for his family, and a smart business move, whats wrong with that ?
    Because he only had to wait a few more months and would still be disgustingly rich, but has most likely eliminated any chance at the Knicks ever being championship contenders. That's whats wrong. Is being good and having superstar names the only thing that matters to fans? F*ck that. I want a championship. We've waited too long.

If he wanted NY for his family and for more endorsements than he could have waited. If he wanted to win a title for the Knicks, he would have waited. But he didn't. He wanted the money first and foremost. That is what mattered most to Melo, not winning. He even said he would have signed with the Nets had we not traded for him. He is not about winning, he's about money. That's it.

There is really no other way to look at it. Sure fans can try and sugarcoat his greed by saying "smart business move", "he needs to take care of his family" as if he would have somehow been struggling to get by had he waited, but any non-biased observer can call it for what it truly is.

All I can say is that the new CBA better allow us to build a contender. We should have been contenders THIS year had he not been so greedy. If not, it's all on Melo and his greed. There is no other way to look at it.

The team we had before was average at best, and I guess we forget the multiple losing streaks we had, had one very good streak, and then stumbled into a .500 record pre trade.

But there no doubt in my mind that Amar'e and Melo can co-exist, and with some time under their belt together before whenever the season starts, we'd be considerably better than that, definitely to the point of not losing to the Cavs, and other under teams multiple times.

Originally Posted by knickscity
    The team we had before was average at best, and I guess we forget the multiple losing streaks we had, had one very good streak, and then stumbled into a .500 record pre trade.

But there no doubt in my mind that Amar'e and Melo can co-exist, and with some time under their belt together before whenever the season starts, we'd be considerably better than that, definitely to the point of not losing to the Cavs, and other under teams multiple times.
    Wow, I can't believe some of the things Knick fans are thinking. Melo is a TOP talent in this league who wants to win and has the mindset and talent to turn this team around for the better. Constant defensive effort and the right role players and we are set. We were not going ANYWHERE with Gallo and Chandler. When Amare went out the game, we had noone who could carry the load. And how can you hate the man for wanting his money, look at where the league is at right now. Come on
    Last edited by Knicks#7; Sep 06, 2011 at 20:06.

Please remove anything HEAT related, we beat the Heat before the trade and we beat them after the trade.

Veteran

This POST reminds me of the 2005 and 2006-7 Lakers when rumors
    had Kobe asking to be traded.

I have nothing against the high scoring Melo.....but the Knicks had
    a growin-team-chemistry within Chandler/Gallo/TD/and Fields.
    Four cheap players with strong future capabilities on the same team.
    They CLICKED!

The team the Knicks had before the (Melo) trade were being coached
    all wrong.....headcoach Dam-Phony tried to run Stat's knees out of
    commision in his first season as a Knicks.
    The rest is easy to figure out.....

Veteran

Originally Posted by Knicks#7

Wow, I can't believe some of the things Knick fans are thinking. Melo is a TOP talent in this league who wants to win and has the mindset and talent to turn this team around for the better. Constant defensive effort and the right role players and we are set. We were not going ANYWHERE with Gallo and Chandler. When Amare went out the game, we had noone who could carry the load. And how can you hate the man for wanting his money, look at where the league is at right now. Come on

First things first....we have to see if Stat & Melo could coexist, share
    the ball, switch and communicate together on defense.
    Melo is a top-10 player in the league....here's an easy bet for u.
    My money is on FA Kenyon Martin making it to the FINALS before Carmelo.

Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    They are gonna have to co exist and all of the above. I agree. I'm holding out hope that between them and (gulp) the coaching staff, this will happen. I also agree that Kenyon Martin may make it to the Finals before Melo, but as a role player for an already established team who probably could get there if you replaced Martin with Kurt Thomas, Baby Davis, or Reggie Evans. I just want to see a productive season with a focus on Defense and the right role players and let's see what we can do

Originally Posted by Knicks#7
    They are gonna have to co exist and all of the above. I agree. I'm holding out hope that between them and (gulp) the coaching staff, this will happen. I also agree that Kenyon Martin may make it to the Finals before Melo, but as a role player for an already established team who probably could get there if you replaced Martin with Kurt Thomas, Baby Davis, or Reggie Evans. I just want to see a productive season with a focus on Defense and the right role players and let's see what we can do

one thing we must all remember

melo and amare

just the beginning.

Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    Kenyon Martin could have made the finals with Melo in Denver, if he wasn't injured damn near every year.

But yeah, I can see him latching on to a contender, and riding to the finals.

He won't be a major contributor doing it.

Originally Posted by NY17KNICKS
    Please remove anything HEAT related, we beat the Heat before the trade and we beat them after the trade.
    Yep, and those are actual facts, even with a gutted roster.