Offensive Wish List: What You'd Like To See In Our Half Court

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
4418739591_892e71ef93.jpg

Am I the only one that has as many qualms with our offence as our defence?

Last season, pre and post Melo trade, I denounced D'Antoni's offence for its predictability and lack of creativity. Though there were often flashes of real continuity with both (pre/post trade) teams, we always lulled back in to the same monotonous isolation and spacing sets, never seeming to reach the pinnacle of our ability with any form of consistency.

For those who don't recall:

-Shawne Williams' motionless waiting in the corner for a motion assist to shoot the 3. As the PF nonetheless.

-Melo's post game - I think Melo is a top 5 post player - receding constantly once MD got a grip on his role.

-STAT & Melo's 2 man game being basically non existent. In our demolition of the Jazz after the Melo trade, there were 3 instances in which the 2 P&R'ed and had a perimeter hand off - STAT to Melo - it wasn't reenforced or built upon afterward.

-Field's having little to no plays called for him to cut from the arc - something I believe could have been a real threat when incorporated with Melo's post game - after the trade, either via a hand off or screen. It was an occasional go to pre trade.

-STAT'S POST GAME! - I don't expect a Tim Duncan like approach to it, but just a motion play to catch 2009-2010's (w/ PHO) most prolific paint scorer in the paint to 'elevate and detonate' on opponents. Too much to ask? No! it ****ing isn't! *waits for the recycled BS line of 'but Amar'e's not a post player' ~ **** off.

-TD's 'just shoot and don't penetrate' role.

-The disappearance of the P&R after the Melo trade.

To name but a few.

And, just for the sake of elaboration, last year, Amar'e successfully caught, and finished, - according to my calculations - less than 20 alley-oop dunks - I counted 14 - yes, I was counting. And the vast majority of those were in transition; a facet of our offence handicapped by our sh!t defence. What does that say to you? One of the most athletically blessed bigs in league history with hardly an inkling of interior offensive presence bar what he creates from the 45?. Is he really that much less capable than players such as D12, ZBo, Aldridge, Dirk and so on that he can't emulate some of their deep catch scoring?

re alley-oops, that is a personal observation that I made - could be wrong, but only by a very small margin.

Believe me, I could go on.

dantoni2.jpg

"ISOooooooooooo!!!!"

WHAT I WANT TO SEE FROM OUR OFFENCE THIS YEAR:

- A post presence for our stars. Would open a whole new offence for us. Space, ISO and chuck, is old news. Think of the potential.

- Back screens for Amar'e. Amar'e under the rim is any opponent's nightmare. Get him off the 45 more often and make it easy/force him to get inside and create scoring, put back, 3 point and foul shooting opportunities. He is too explosive and quick off his feet to prolong this offensive ignorance any longer.

- Decoy offence. Creating opportunities for Williams, Shumpert, Douglas and Fields by enticing defences toward our primary scorers. Much like the Kansas 02 offence that requires the 3 and 4 to remain on the left side of the key.

You can see the drawn up play below in diagram C.

Kansas.GIF

Although I could continue, I'll leave it there, and allow others to elaborate.

To D'antoni, we can't continue to elude to the fact that we don't have 'your brand of player'. This is no longer about what you don't have offensively. This is about what you can do, with what's in front of you. Next season. Drop the equations and make plays happen that exploit the talents of your players.

*Please refrain from highlighting the fact that the picture at the top of the thread is rather penile. Thank you.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Did you purposely make that look like two dicks pointing to a hole? Knowing Crazy, you did! :evil:

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
We had SEVERAL players the last three seasons who could slash and D'Antoni just told them to let the threes fly.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Did you purposely make that look like two dicks pointing to a hole? Knowing Crazy, you did! :evil:
:lol: The subliminal gayness pouring out of me there. Sorry, Dad.

We had SEVERAL players the last three seasons who could slash and D'Antoni just told them to let the threes fly.

Wilson Chandler being the epitome of this statement. Melo, on the other hand, came in post trade and shot high % from the arc. Never mind Toney Douglas, who led the league in 3s made after the ASG break.

In the end, even the positives added to the negatives, as our offence became as predictable as drunk cheerleaders.

Less of this that's for sure.. :

dantonicoaching2.jpg

dantonicoaching.jpg

:lol:

Wish I'd have found those photos instead of the upcoming DP image. :barf:

Does anyone care to elaborate on our iffy offence?

pat

Starter
With the combination of Melo and MDA, I don't know what to expect. It is just not a good fit as far as personnel and coaching philosophy are concerned. I also do not share some board members' lack of enthusiasm for the three ball. Look what Dallas did with "live by the three die by the three". It's just a matter of who is shooting and whether you can grab offensive boards.

Last edited:
^When you don't have the personnel to consistently shoot 3s at a high percentage like Dallas that it's a terribly flawed gameplan don't you agree?

pat

Starter
^When you don't have the personnel to consistently shoot 3s at a high percentage like Dallas that it's a terribly flawed gameplan don't you agree?

Absolutely. However, that can be changed. But all in all, I am not sure what to expect. Coaching staff and players (especially Billups and Melo) do not match well. I still find the idea of a modern, dynamic offense more intriguing than running isos. I just don't see that happening with Melo in the game.

Red

TYPE-A
Crazy⑧s;185911 said:
4418739591_892e71ef93.jpg

Am I the only one that has as many qualms with our offence as our defence?

Last season, pre and post Melo trade, I denounced D'Antoni's offence for its predictability and lack of creativity. Though there were often flashes of real continuity with both (pre/post trade) teams, we always lulled back in to the same monotonous isolation and spacing sets, never seeming to reach the pinnacle of our ability with any form of consistency.

For those who don't recall:

-Shawne Williams' motionless waiting in the corner for a motion assist to shoot the 3. As the PF nonetheless.

-Melo's post game - I think Melo is a top 5 post player - receding constantly once MD got a grip on his role.

-STAT & Melo's 2 man game being basically non existent. In our demolition of the Jazz after the Melo trade, there were 3 instances in which the 2 P&R'ed and had a perimeter hand off - STAT to Melo - it wasn't reenforced or built upon afterward.

-Field's having little to no plays called for him to cut from the arc - something I believe could have been a real threat when incorporated with Melo's post game - after the trade, either via a hand off or screen. It was an occasional go to pre trade.

-STAT'S POST GAME! - I don't expect a Tim Duncan like approach to it, but just a motion play to catch 2009-2010's (w/ PHO) most prolific paint scorer in the paint to 'elevate and detonate' on opponents. Too much to ask? No! it ****ing isn't! *waits for the recycled BS line of 'but Amar'e's not a post player' ~ **** off.

-TD's 'just shoot and don't penetrate' role.

-The disappearance of the P&R after the Melo trade.

To name but a few.

And, just for the sake of elaboration, last year, Amar'e successfully caught, and finished, - according to my calculations - less than 20 alley-oop dunks - I counted 14 - yes, I was counting. And the vast majority of those were in transition; a facet of our offence handicapped by our sh!t defence. What does that say to you? One of the most athletically blessed bigs in league history with hardly an inkling of interior offensive presence bar what he creates from the 45?. Is he really that much less capable than players such as D12, ZBo, Aldridge, Dirk and so on that he can't emulate some of their deep catch scoring?

re alley-oops, that is a personal observation that I made - could be wrong, but only by a very small margin.

Believe me, I could go on.

dantoni2.jpg

"ISOooooooooooo!!!!"

WHAT I WANT TO SEE FROM OUR OFFENCE THIS YEAR:

- A post presence for our stars. Would open a whole new offence for us. Space, ISO and chuck, is old news. Think of the potential.

- Back screens for Amar'e. Amar'e under the rim is any opponent's nightmare. Get him off the 45 more often and make it easy/force him to get inside and create scoring, put back, 3 point and foul shooting opportunities. He is too explosive and quick off his feet to prolong this offensive ignorance any longer.

- Decoy offence. Creating opportunities for Williams, Shumpert, Douglas and Fields by enticing defences toward our primary scorers. Much like the Kansas 02 offence that requires the 3 and 4 to remain on the left side of the key.

You can see the drawn up play below in diagram C.

Kansas.GIF

Although I could continue, I'll leave it there, and allow others to elaborate.

To D'antoni, we can't continue to elude to the fact that we don't have 'your brand of player'. This is no longer about what you don't have offensively. This is about what you can do, with what's in front of you. Next season. Drop the equations and make plays happen that exploit the talents of your players.

*Please refrain from highlighting the fact that the picture at the top of the thread is rather penile. Thank you.

I think your trepidation with MOA and our offense stems from a few factors and the main one being limited time- something I would normally call an excuse. But when analyzing what we saw that seems like the main issue.

The Spread P&R is a basic offense that contains almost unstoppable options when run fluidly. The key is to exploit what the defense gives you by having the ball handler recognize the options quick.

I think what we saw was a team/coach that stuck with the most basic aspects of the system due to those being the plays that produced the best results in a limited time. Reminds me of when you play a new game and are rusty/unfamiliar. Have a bit of success with like 1 or 2 plays and keep using them because you're too impatient to practice first before entering the season (hope that made sense).

Anyway, we must understand this system:

1. Isn't geared for one specific player
2. Looks really bad when not run correctly
3. Doesn't contain plays that have guys running around 2 screens for a catch and shoot, ala Allan or Miller

#3 type plays are reserved for game winning/end of quarter shots.

In conclusion, I believe once Billups has enough time and practice to fully grasp the system as well as his teammates, it will run with efficiency.

The reason a player like Williams camps out at the corner three is by design. MOA felt Willams had a high enough 3pt% for that role, and doesn't mind sacrificing size due to his philosophy that:

Constant scoring puts pressure on both the opponent's offense (to keep up), and defense (to get stops), and feels not many teams can do this, regardless of personnel.

The reason why TD doesn't drive effectively is because, well simply he can't. Not without the built-in flop to the floor he's taught himself to do naturally, almost every drive. That's. Something I've pointed out many times.

Ask DFDH... if he plays ball, he should recognize as a guard how players who don't use their bodies well with timing for their release on drives get their sh!t punched. And Toney was getting his sh!t punched when his timing wasn't correct, so he resorted to crying foul (and flopping) ever drive- even with little to no contact.

Shump should fix this.

Time should help incorporate Melo & Billups better. I think the the victory against the Bulls (not Christmas, some other game) was when our offense was run best- but I think that was the pre-trade O.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
a pragmatic post from Red.. wtf?!?

I think your trepidation with MOA and our offense stems from a few factors and the main one being limited time- something I would normally call an excuse. But when analyzing what we saw that seems like the main issue.

The Spread P&R is a basic offense that contains almost unstoppable options when run fluidly. The key is to exploit what the defense gives you by having the ball handler recognize the options quick.

I think what we saw was a team/coach that stuck with the most basic aspects of the system due to those being the plays that produced the best results in a limited time. Reminds me of when you play a new game and are rusty/unfamiliar. Have a bit of success with like 1 or 2 plays and keep using them because you're too impatient to practice first before entering the season (hope that made sense).

3. Doesn't contain plays that have guys running around 2 screens for a catch and shoot, ala Allan or Miller

In conclusion, I believe once Billups has enough time and practice to fully grasp the system as well as his teammates, it will run with efficiency.

The reason a player like Williams camps out at the corner three is by design. MOA felt Willams had a high enough 3pt% for that role, and doesn't mind sacrificing size due to his philosophy that:

Constant scoring puts pressure on both the opponent's offense (to keep up), and defense (to get stops), and feels not many teams can do this, regardless of personnel.

The reason why TD doesn't drive effectively is because, well simply he can't. Not without the built-in flop to the floor he's taught himself to do naturally, almost every drive. That's. Something I've pointed out many times.

Ask DFDH... if he plays ball, he should recognize as a guard how players who don't use their bodies well with timing for their release on drives get their sh!t punched. And Toney was getting his sh!t punched when his timing wasn't correct, so he resorted to crying foul (and flopping) ever drive- even with little to no contact.

Shump should fix this.

Time should help incorporate Melo & Billups better. I think the the victory against the Bulls (not Christmas, some other game) was when our offense was run best- but I think that was the pre-trade O.

Wow.. I actually agree w most everything stated here.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee

I've never denied limited time being a factor. I'm not that unreasonable. If we recall the start of last season - the abysmal start that it was - then we can flip a 2 sided coin in regard to opportunity and time as a factor. The onus, at that time, was put on to the players to fit in to the system, and not vice versa.

That will be the million $ question for me, and perhaps others, this year. Is it the team's lack of capability to coincide with D'Antoni's math, or D'Antoni's incapability to diversify his module to fit what he has - not what he needs? See NY's 2010-2011 campaign and Phoenix's previous 4 seasons for reference to the latter.

Having said that, I wonder if we'll see that again this year? No doubt. The lockout will be the go to for reasoning this time.

The Spread P&R is a basic offense that contains almost unstoppable options when run fluidly. The key is to exploit what the defense gives you by having STEVE NASH recognize the options quick.

Yes, I get that. Entirely. Watched, listened and read about it.

I think what we saw was a team/coach that stuck with the most basic aspects of the system due to those being the plays that produced the best results in a limited time.

Perhaps I'm being overly staunch about it, but 2 months - even with STAT resting toward the end - was no excuse for our tediously repetitious offence. It was/that's hardly the hallmark of a revolutionary, limit pushing, offensive mastermind. WTF were we doing in practice? Fine tuning our isolation plays? Practicing our perimeter shooting? Cursing the inside game? What?

Reminds me of when you play a new game and are rusty/unfamiliar. Have a bit of success with like 1 or 2 plays and keep using them because you're too impatient to practice first before entering the season (hope that made sense).

Hmm? That was pretty Kiyaman. :lol: No, I do understand you, but I don't think that approach should be considered anywhere along the lines of acceptable in a professional league of any kind. Though I think you're right. Do you think that's acceptable? For, what is it, $6M a year?

Bar the fact that it practically was prior to Melo's arrival. The supporting cast (excluding Felton, who still shot too many threes) were all based around the perimeter. Even in the case of exploiting a mismatch with the 6'10 Gallo, his role was to initiate from the perimeter at all times. Not even a shred of alternate thinking, as is MD's way.

Or when run by those not tailored perfectly to its execution. But it's not like MD runs a democratic stance on what and whom for where in his equations/coaching, which are one and the same in many ways.

3. Doesn't contain plays that have guys running around 2 screens for a catch and shoot, ala Allan or Miller.

My qualm in this regard, is that the system is almost completely void of alternates. It's a jamboree that maintains the same rhythm: eventually even the crappest euphemistic musician [defensive opponent] can catch on to its repetition.

Not in New York. You seem to have receded your stance almost entirely. Does no one remember our close out plays? They were utter feces.

This, of course, is to assume that the system is best for, not only CB, but the team. If Melo's mid-high block/post games aren't incorporated [or receded] for the sake of 'doing as he's told', then the system has to go. If I don't see, and I quote Kobe MF'ing Bryant here "the beast on the block" get the ball with his back to the basket, 10 feet out, 5-10 times a game, then that's ****ed.

Yes! I get it!

There were 2 occasions on which we beat the Bulls last season with our pre trade team. One was in Chicago where we hit, correct me if I'm wrong, 15 treys. Last season, whenever we hit 11+ from the arc, we won. What a game plan! If we hit under 8, we lost - almost indefinitely.

The other was with both Carlos Boozer and Joakim Noah out, at home. I remember it well because STAT smashed Rose's driving attempt, and later on in the next half they had words.

Neither of these victories built our team. Wins are wins, but some are a lot less fruitless than others.

☆ Basically, I don't believe that our team fits D'Antoni's bill. That's it. We can babble and manually stimulate ourselves about how all this O is the way to go, but I won't buy it until it's tried and tested outside of Phoenix, Arizona. Do I think he should be fired? No, I do not. I still think after what's happened that he deserves his last chance. After last season, his advocates will have to forgive my skepticism.

Will some time help Billups and Melo be incorporated in to a winning flow of D'Antoni's high octane perimeter/P&R offense first, defense last approach? We'll see. If not, we're in for a media shit storm and some, what I consider, obvious truths lain on the table.

It's Saturday night, I'm going out for a blinder.

What happened to you, Red?

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Crazy⑧s;185972 said:
That doesn't make it pragmatic.

I said his post was pragmatic because he's sometimes comes off overly emotional and reactive. Red's been processing/analysing this past season and it shows. MDA's offense works, very well infact. His O, half court or otherwise is the least of our worries Crazy. There's a reason why the Olympic team uses it. It's because that offensive system is bona fide.

Last edited:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I said his post was pragmatic because he's sometimes comes off overly emotional and reactive. Red's been processing/analysing this past season and it shows. MDA's offense works, very well infact. His O, half court or otherwise is the least of our worries Crazy. There's a reason why the Olympic team uses it. It's because that offensive system is bona fide.

Pragmatic? So anyone who doesn't agree with you entirely, it seems, are obviously non-pragmatic. They couldn't possibly be thinking at a high enough level. Do you even realize how you're insulting Red on this one?

Team USA did not run D'Antoni's O. Not even close. He was a trinket in the offense, nothing more. You can look him up on YouTube, read articles, whatever. It was coach K all the way. And no, LeBron's comments about him hold no sway on the matter.

Bona fide? Back that up outside of Phoenix.

Paul1355

All Star
to respond to the thread. I agree about using Amare more down low because he is a force when he is ten feet or closer to the hoop. Amare struggles when he is at mid range and tries to drive by using dribble moves which always fail and amare winds up having 8 turnovers a game. Amare has to stop and pop from mid range, and post up down low.

Melo iso play is a good play because Melo is an ISO beast but te other players have to charge the basket when he reales the ball so we have more than Melo going for offensive reounds.

Whoever is camping outside the three point line, which is usually one or two players should always b ready for the outlet pass by the opposing team.

By the way, I never want to see Amare and Melo on the same side of the court unless they are doing a play together. We should take advantage of ou star power by making a defense have to cover the entire floor. Focus on Melo driving, he gets doubled and kick out or lead pass to amare, this is simple. If not that then kick it out to an open outside shooter and i just drew up a few effective plays with Melo having the ball in his hands.

If Mike D can;t adjust on offense then he is beyond over rated as an offensive "genius"

Simply we need the payers that are at md range or closer to attack the basket and grab offensive rebounds for second chance opportunities. the players that are on the three point line stay back to defense the fast break or outlet pass. We have enough athleticism to make this work effectively.

Make it happen Mike D.

Red

TYPE-A
Crazy⑧s;185971 said:
I've never denied limited time being a factor. I'm not that unreasonable. If we recall the start of last season - the abysmal start that it was - then we can flip a 2 sided coin in regard to opportunity and time as a factor. The onus, at that time, was put on to the players to fit in to the system, and not vice versa.

That will be the million $ question for me, and perhaps others, this year. Is it the team's lack of capability to coincide with D'Antoni's math, or D'Antoni's incapability to diversify his module to fit what he has - not what he needs? See NY's 2010-2011 campaign and Phoenix's previous 4 seasons for reference to the latter.

Having said that, I wonder if we'll see that again this year? No doubt. The lockout will be the go to for reasoning this time.

Yes, I get that. Entirely. Watched, listened and read about it.

Perhaps I'm being overly staunch about it, but 2 months - even with STAT resting toward the end - was no excuse for our tediously repetitious offence. It was/that's hardly the hallmark of a revolutionary, limit pushing, offensive mastermind. WTF were we doing in practice? Fine tuning our isolation plays? Practicing our perimeter shooting? Cursing the inside game? What?

Hmm? That was pretty Kiyaman. :lol: No, I do understand you, but I don't think that approach should be considered anywhere along the lines of acceptable in a professional league of any kind. Though I think you're right. Do you think that's acceptable? For, what is it, $6M a year?

Bar the fact that it practically was prior to Melo's arrival. The supporting cast (excluding Felton, who still shot too many threes) were all based around the perimeter. Even in the case of exploiting a mismatch with the 6'10 Gallo, his role was to initiate from the perimeter at all times. Not even a shred of alternate thinking, as is MD's way.

Or when run by those not tailored perfectly to its execution. But it's not like MD runs a democratic stance on what and whom for where in his equations/coaching, which are one and the same in many ways.

My qualm in this regard, is that the system is almost completely void of alternates. It's a jamboree that maintains the same rhythm: eventually even the crappest euphemistic musician [defensive opponent] can catch on to its repetition.

Not in New York. You seem to have receded your stance almost entirely. Does no one remember our close out plays? They were utter feces.

Yes! I get it!

There were 2 occasions on which we beat the Bulls last season with our pre trade team. One was in Chicago where we hit, correct me if I'm wrong, 15 treys. Last season, whenever we hit 11+ from the arc, we won. What a game plan! If we hit under 8, we lost - almost indefinitely.

The other was with both Carlos Boozer and Joakim Noah out, at home. I remember it well because STAT smashed Rose's driving attempt, and later on in the next half they had words.

Neither of these victories built our team. Wins are wins, but some are a lot less fruitless than others.

☆ Basically, I don't believe that our team fits D'Antoni's bill. That's it. We can babble and manually stimulate ourselves about how all this O is the way to go, but I won't buy it until it's tried and tested outside of Phoenix, Arizona. Do I think he should be fired? No, I do not. I still think after what's happened that he deserves his last chance. After last season, his advocates will have to forgive my skepticism.

Will some time help Billups and Melo be incorporated in to a winning flow of D'Antoni's high octane perimeter/P&R offense first, defense last approach? We'll see. If not, we're in for a media shit storm and some, what I consider, obvious truths lain on the table.

It's Saturday night, I'm going out for a blinder.

What happened to you, Red?

Goddam Crazy, I gotta take a advil to digest your posts sometimes.

What happened in terms of posting or being anti-dantoni?

Well there's not much to post since the league is dead.

But on MOA, I read a few things I extrapolated from your response.

1. He hasn't lived up to his offensive genius billing
2. Same ol' question, is the system right for the players we have- I noticed you replaced my post and added Nash.

I guess (not that I'm defending him) that supporters would say even in flux, with less than Nash-like players, we still put up numbers. Imagine if we actually gel'd and had some continuity.

I think we can agree that any system run to it's potential should produce good offensive results, and that's not genius.
So I take that moniker with a grain of salt.

But i'd like to stop thinking that Nash was the lynchpin. The system needs everyone to be on-point in terms of decision making. I noticed Melo and others not being in tune and holding the ball or looking indecisive, and thus resorted to doing what he knows best, naturally. Just my opinion that with time he'll feel comfortable reading and reacting.

Of course I like a more conventional approach where we exploit mismatches and feed the post, but without a valid big (which I have no more hopes of acquiring) this is wishful thinking.

When we talk lack of options, I disagree. I see it as a lack of decision making that appears as lack of options. The options are there, the decision making (Nash, Felton) missing.

The system with its flaws can work. To me the question is as Amare said, "can we buy into it"? That's on coach as good ones get their teams to buy in.

And of course the other big issue I still have is can MOA improve us and have us competitive at the least on defense. With the numbers we put up (or could out up) like Amare avg 30pts, TD Leading in 3'S (after the ASG), Williams 3pt%, and of course adding the fire power and shooting % of Melo & Billups...

Our real issues still lay on the defensive end. Rank 15th instead of 28th in defense (and reb.) With the same offense and we see the 2nd to ECF round easy to me.

On close out plays: yo, we had quite a few off screen game winners including Amare vs Bos

On comparing me to Kiyaman: I'm a bit insulted

After re-reading your post I see last season is still fresh in your memory. The best thing I can say is this should be MOA's last shot. 2nd round to ECF he stays, if not he's gone...

It's win win for us!:crossfingers:

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Seriously dude..

Crazy⑧s;185976 said:
Pragmatic? So anyone who doesn't agree with you entirely, it seems, are obviously non-pragmatic. They couldn't possibly be thinking at a high enough level. Do you even realize how you're insulting Red on this one?

Team USA did not run D'Antoni's O. Not even close. He was a trinket in the offense, nothing more. You can look him up on YouTube, read articles, whatever. It was coach K all the way. And no, LeBron's comments about him hold no sway on the matter.

Bona fide? Back that up outside of Phoenix.

Wasn't trying to dis Red. Actually thought i gave him props for thinking shet thru. He was very reactive all last season. That's why we butted heads (pause) much. But whatevs..

On Team USA and MDA's O:

Coach has U.S. blazing
Players embrace D'Antoni's fast style

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 5, 2006 12:00 AM

It probably will happen. The Americans look like they should win the World Championships gold medal in four weeks because they are supremely talented, sufficiently motivated and properly focused back on being a team rather than an All-Star squad.

They likely will rout some teams and everything different than the embarrassments from recent years will be noted. The defense, a staple of the Dream Team, will be hailed because the U.S. always could score even when it couldn't shoot.

Even if nobody else sees the beauty of USA Basketball's offense, the players will. Many have longed to play this freely with the ball and Suns coach and USA assistant Mike D'Antoni is making it happen.
advertisementOAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1')
clear.gif

He is the offensive coordinator for the American team that begins an Asian exhibition tour this week in preparation for the Aug. 19-Sept. 3 World Championships in Japan. Like a basketball brunch, he is melding the relentless attack of the Suns and the playbook of Duke and USA Basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski.

"He gives me some credit but he wants to play that way," D'Antoni said after the team's 114-69 debut Thursday against Puerto Rico. "He's always given his teams a lot of freedom. He does that. It's really cool."

But it is just as much D'Antoni's way. His offensive expertise and international experience were reasons for Jerry Colangelo to tab him for the staff. D'Antoni and Suns assistant Marc Iavaroni put in the USA offense and found a familiar star pupil.

"I knew the offense from two years ago," Joe Johnson said. "It definitely helped me out a lot so that when guys like LeBron (James) and D (Dwyane) Wade push the ball up the court, I'm going to be spotting up in that corner. They find me and I'm going to knock it down.

"I never knew that it would come back around like this (to play for D'Antoni again after leaving Phoenix for Atlanta last summer). I'm going to cherish it. I'm loving it right now. I love Coach D'Antoni. I hate how things happened like they did but it's a business."

Because Colangelo is in the business of crafting a team to fit international play, shooters such as Johnson and a fast-moving, spread-out system like D'Antoni's became essential. Just as there was a learning curve for Suns players such as Raja Bell after structured pasts, USA Basketball likely will get better at quick shots and extra passes.

"We go out there and quick and out," guard Gilbert Arenas said. "D'Antoni wants to get a shot in the first five seconds. We love it. We don't complain."

The U.S. showed that it will have a propensity to launch three-pointers from the 20 1/2-foot line. Thirty-one of the 81 U.S. shots Thursday were threes. The squad was 1 for 9 to start but hit 10 of its last 22. Antawn Jamison, at 6 feet, 9 inches, showed the emphasis on versatility with four makes.

Carmelo Anthony was the team's leading scorer but, as Wade noted, don't get used to a regular star on a team that showed a willingness to share.

"I feel like the shots are just coming to me," Anthony said. "When you're out there with guys like Chris Paul, LeBron, Dwyane, it's hard for other teams to guard everybody. Somebody is going to get open shots. Somebody might get 10 shots. Somebody might get two. We don't worry about that."

D'Antoni could be worn out from taking the Suns into June, moving into front office summer work and devoting most of July and August to USA Basketball. But he is champing at the bit for another USA game, which comes Monday night against China on ESPN2. For a guy whose work took him to Italy for much of his life, working under the name of USA is a moving experience.

"This is bigger than what we do every day," he said. "It does give you goosebumps and it is exciting. I can't wait until the next game. I can't imagine what the Olympics are going to be like if I get this excited for an exhibition."

And..

Duke's Mike Krzyzewski noncommittal, promotes Mike D'Antoni for 2012 Olympic Games

BY MARK LELINWALLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Mike Krzyzewski helped the U.S. men's team redeem itself and grab a gold medal in the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, but he says it's still too early to commit to the 2012 Games in London.
If he doesn't commit, that could open the door for Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni, an assistant to Coach K last summer, to be named the head coach for 2012.
"I don't want to say who I think would be good (for the job), but Mike D'Antoni is a great friend and was huge in us winning the gold medal," said Krzyzewski, who was at the NBA Store on Fifth Ave. yesterday, signing copies of his new book, "The Gold Standard," which describes his Olympic experience and was written with his daughter Jamie K. Spatola. "He's really a genius, especially offensively. A lot of ideas we had on the offensive end of the court were Mike's."

Stop dude. Players luv playing in this offense. It is effective. MDA's offense and thinking were integral to Team USA's success. You gotta chill Crazy re this topic. Our O is fine. By bonafide I mean coaches, GM's and players all recognize MDA's offensive prowess.

Last edited: