View Poll Results: Who do you think should start at sg?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Landry Fields

    20 64.52%
  • Iman Shumpert

    8 25.81%
  • Toney Douglas

    2 6.45%
  • Bill Walker

    1 3.23%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 43

Thread: Who should start at sg?

  1. #16
    Fundamentally Sound ronoranina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,758
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    I think Shumpert should play SG. Shumpert should play SG, Billups should play PG, but when it comes to defense Shumpert should guard whomever is more athletic in the opposing team's backcourt because Billups no longer has the quickness to stop guys like Rondo and Wade.

    I like Landry Fields but I think he profiles more as a 6th man than he does a starter. I think Fields will be good for the team when Carmelo and Shumpert are sitting - we'll miss his rebounding, but we have Carmelo to make up for the fact that the rest of the Knicks are horrible at rebounding.
    I agree w this ^^^^^

  2. #17
    Fundamentally Sound ronoranina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,758
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Melo's ball dominance definitely affected Fields' play. It was almost instantaneous. As soon as Melo came to the Knicks, Fields looked awful. He had his struggles off an on throughout the entire season, as one would expect from a rookie, but he never looked comfortable with Melo.

    Fields is a smart player though. I think he'll eventually figure out the rhythm of playing alongside such a ball dominant player, at least I hope he does. All he really needs to do is become a better spot-up 3 point shooter from spots other than the corner and increase his ball-handling skills. Improve those two things and just continue doing what he did so well for us (e.g. crash the boards, play solid defense, etc) and he's really the perfect SG to play along Melo, Billups and Amare. And Melo needs to learn how to pass the freaking ball too.

    Douglas shouldn't start at SG and Iman is nowhere near ready to start. Fields is going to have to be our starter.
    Fields will prolly be the opening night starter but Iman should be the guy. Fields is more of a natural 3 to me. He doesn't have 2 guard skills.

  3. #18
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,792
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Fields hustles and plays passable defense but let's be honest he's simply not quick enough to guard a person like Dwyane Wade.

    If we start a backcourt of Billups and Fields then we get torched by anybody who has an athletic SG or PG who can drive to the basket. Could you imagine the damage that Derrick Rose would do to our team if we started Billups and Fields at the backcourt positions?

    We got Shumpert so we could STOP the trend of opposing backcourt players crapping 30 PPG against us. I like Fields but I just don't see him being an effective defender against the likes of Rose/Eric Gordon/etc.

  4. #19
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,484
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by serendipity10
    I thought almost the same way about Toney Douglas but is just with him starting the bench will be a little weak on scoring. The Knicks for now need Toney Douglas on the bench to play along with Shumpert. Douglas is better than Fields but Douglas has to learn to play the point because of his size and it is no guarantee Billups will stay healthy.

    I kind of agree with knickscity if Fields can't start he won't be the best to come off the bench, he will be a less appreciated role player. He can rebound and score but not like others.
    If you remember when Landry Fields was benched for the first time last season, and had a very good game: here is the proof

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    "Fields briefly lost his starting job last Saturday against the Charlotte Bobcats, as D’Antoni opted to start Toney Douglas in his place. Fields had his best game in two weeks coming off the bench: he finished with 16 points in 34 minutes. He was active all night, getting to the line 12 times and pulling down six rebounds."


    So we can safely say that Fields has had good games coming off the bench. Which makes me think that if he does start this year, eventually he will be on the bench during the season.


    -to answer your response on Douglas....I will be surprised if Douglas really improves his passing ability. Court vision is part of an offensive IQ and Toney just doesn't have it. Douglas is also horrible at hitting players with accurate passes in transition. So many times Douglas would have a clear advantage on a fast break and he would just miss an open shooter on the outside or completely miss someone cutting to the basket. This is a serious problem. I don't know if something like that can be fixed in one year. Which is why I think Iman Shumpert will take over as the back up PG with Douglas getting minutes more at the SG spot when Billups and Shumpert are running the point.

  5. #20
    Member serendipity10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    near the lincoln tunnel in Union City, NJ staying close to MSG
    Posts
    449
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by Paul1355
    If you remember when Landry Fields was benched for the first time last season, and had a very good game: here is the proof

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    "Fields briefly lost his starting job last Saturday against the Charlotte Bobcats, as D’Antoni opted to start Toney Douglas in his place. Fields had his best game in two weeks coming off the bench: he finished with 16 points in 34 minutes. He was active all night, getting to the line 12 times and pulling down six rebounds."


    So we can safely say that Fields has had good games coming off the bench. Which makes me think that if he does start this year, eventually he will be on the bench during the season.


    -to answer your response on Douglas....I will be surprised if Douglas really improves his passing ability. Court vision is part of an offensive IQ and Toney just doesn't have it. Douglas is also horrible at hitting players with accurate passes in transition. So many times Douglas would have a clear advantage on a fast break and he would just miss an open shooter on the outside or completely miss someone cutting to the basket. This is a serious problem. I don't know if something like that can be fixed in one year. Which is why I think Iman Shumpert will take over as the back up PG with Douglas getting minutes more at the SG spot when Billups and Shumpert are running the point.
    Good memory. It gives me some assurance of the confidence I already have for him. I like your argument but my official argument was the Knicks bench is still kind of weak and Fields can't score like TD. With Fields starting it allows him to help Stat and Melo have total control of the game. The Knicks starters can score but the bench needs some help, and its better for the Knicks to have TD come off the bench.

    I like the fact the Knicks have options, and I can see TD as the starting sg. He can spread the floor better with his 3 point shooting ability making the starters very strong. Still feel Fields should start but that might change during the season. Its nice to see the Knicks have options can't wait to see the Knicks in action, this lockout is lame.

    Surprise no one is backing up Bill Walker. I don't think he will start but he at least deserves to be mentioned.

  6. #21
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    570
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Landry Fields hands down. He is a perfect role player. Anyone who has said differently has forgotten how real the rookie wall is. He struggled, for sure, in the second half of the season. However, have people forgotten how marvelous his first half of the season was?

    And, even despite his poor second half, he still led all guards in rebounding.

    The kid is only going to get better. He deserves to be there. The other players fit more of the backup roles. Shumpert is a defensive "shooting" guard who can't shoot, nor does he possess the basketball acumen of Fields... TD is a good sixth man off the bench, who is too small to play the 2 spot. Billy Walker is... well... Bill Walker. Can hit some shots and heat up, but he's not a starter...

    Landry is exactly what the team needs in that spot. There was talk of ROY (if not for Blake Griffin).

    Any one who says differently just has short memories.

  7. #22
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,488
    Rep Power
    28

    Nyk Logo Leroy!

    LANDRY! The Half Blood Prince!

    I understand that a lot of fans got down on him after the Melo trade. He was the odd man out of the game plan because his game didn't really have a definitive role from day one: intangibles not being a facet of any game plan. When the starting 5 changed from 1 ball dominant player to 2, Landry was merely a cutback, and his offence suffered from the abrupt unfamiliarity.

    Once chemistry is found between him, Melo, STAT and Billups, I expect a full return to previous form. As LJ said, Melo needs to incorporate Landry in to his own game for both of them to be more effective. That was the chief reason for Landry's decline as the season closed.

    Fields V Shumpert: The starting role goes to the player with experience on and off the court - off the court as in travel, familiarity with self preparation etc. If Iman shines brighter, let him take the reigns mid-season. Certainly a WAY TOO EARLY call to say that he's ready to step in. IMO, he should run the 2nd unit point with Toney at the 2 and guard, as SSj4 stated, the dominant offensive back-court opponent.

    Originally Posted by MusketeerX
    Landry Fields hands down. He is a perfect role player. Anyone who has said differently has forgotten how real the rookie wall is. He struggled, for sure, in the second half of the season. However, have people forgotten how marvelous his first half of the season was?

    And, even despite his poor second half, he still led all guards in rebounding.
    I agree with what you're saying. Landry did, however, end up getting snuffed by DWade for highest RPG guard.

  8. #23
    Member WNY_Knickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Rochester
    Posts
    453
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    SMH at people making any kind of definitive statements about Iman Shumpert, have you seen him play anything useful yet? He doesn't have a strong basketball acumen, he can't shoot? Based on what? Based on draft reports that he needed to improve his perimeter game? Sure there were those reports, but he's had plenty of time to improve, and has videos online proving he has worked at least long enough to get a short video where he's shot pretty well. Uncontested jumpers at practice does not prove greatness, but on the flip side a low percentage when he was often taking poor shots as the star of a college team doesn't mean low percentages for us, when he'll be asked only to take good shots with Anthony and Stoudemire around. I'm not saying he should start game one, my point is people are making judgements pretty quick, and hopefully he surprises some of you by being the real deal. As a side note, I hope we can actually put some games away so some lower bench players can get more garbage time, I want to see Andy and Bill play more, but obviously not my choices in tight games.

  9. #24
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,980
    Rep Power
    18

    Thumbs up

    Originally Posted by Paul1355
    i have to disagree with you on Fields' defense. Fields has always been above average but Toney Dougllas is a gritty defensive player who is much better than Fields and if Iman Shumpert lives up to his scouting reports, he should be a taller version of Toney Douglas, making fields the dud on defense.

    We saw how Fieds would get torched by SG with three point range. Fields hustles but is very bad at guarding players who come off screrens. We saw this with Ray Allen. Allen torched us because Douglas had to gourd Rondo, which left Fields with the task of guarding Allen who is faster than him.

    I kno you might say it isn't fare that im judging fields defense based on his performance against Allen who gives everyone a problem when he comes off the high screen and makes his classic three point shot. But Fields was so bad that Allen basically averaged 30 ppg on us.

    Allen was never guarded well on any level because Fields simply did not know how to guard him.

    Fields did a better job of guarding Rondo, Fields would guard against the drive well which Rondo is exceptional at. Fields has a hard time with perimeter defense.

    Because of this Fields should be the third option to guard a SG with shooting range.

    I had to plead the 5th this summer at the mention of the Knicks
    postseason games in the Barber-Shop or with friends and relatives.
    The Boston Celtics is a helluva well coached team with All-Star
    players at PG, SG, and SF who been "jellin" well as "starters and
    finishers" for the past 4 playoff seasons.
    It is unfair to evaluate rookie Fields or 2nd season Douglas performance
    vs a well organized ex-championship team in a series with an unorganize
    bum-coach Dantoni depending on PG-Chuancy Billups to call all the shots.

    Chuancy Billups outstanding performance in the first game of the
    playoff showed us he was worth every penny of the $14M in this
    upcoming season.

    The Knicks first 3 guards on the court will be Billups, Fields, and TD.
    Rookie Iman Shumpert will be challenging final contract season Walker
    for playingtime as the 4th guard in the rotation.

    The Knicks should suprise everyone by signing two FA centers when
    the lockout ends.....C-Kwame & C-Jason Collins asap.
    They will be easy to sign to 1 year contracts, plus C-Kwame & PF-Turiaf
    were teammates on the Lakers, and C-Collins & PF-Stat were teammates
    on the Suns. These two FA could give the Knicks a huge-edge in the
    upcoming season for a spot in the ECF.

  10. #25
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,980
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Originally Posted by WNY_Knickfan
    SMH at people making any kind of definitive statements about Iman Shumpert, have you seen him play anything useful yet? He doesn't have a strong basketball acumen, he can't shoot? Based on what? Based on draft reports that he needed to improve his perimeter game? Sure there were those reports, but he's had plenty of time to improve, and has videos online proving he has worked at least long enough to get a short video where he's shot pretty well. Uncontested jumpers at practice does not prove greatness, but on the flip side a low percentage when he was often taking poor shots as the star of a college team doesn't mean low percentages for us, when he'll be asked only to take good shots with Anthony and Stoudemire around. I'm not saying he should start game one, my point is people are making judgements pretty quick, and hopefully he surprises some of you by being the real deal. As a side note, I hope we can actually put some games away so some lower bench players can get more garbage time, I want to see Andy and Bill play more, but obviously not my choices in tight games.
    Great point.....its nice to be an optimistic Knicks-Fan but some
    has went over-board on Iman Shumpert workouts.
    Then again, last offseason I too was "over-hyped" after watching 4
    summer league games of Landry Fields (veteran performance). But I
    did not want Landry Fields to be a Starter lastseason....I thought we
    wouldve been bright enough to trade All-Star David Lee for a starting
    SG (Monta Ellis), when both Stat & Felton commited to signing with the Knicks.
    The oportunity was there to have a 2010-11 starting lineup of....
    PG-Felton, SG-Ellis, SF-Chandler, PF-Stat, and C-???.....
    but dum-dum Walsh & Dantoni put more effort into Bamboozling this Knicks
    team on purpose the past 3 seasons then clueless Isiah did in trying to win
    more then 23 games a season.

  11. #26
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,484
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    I had to plead the 5th this summer at the mention of the Knicks
    postseason games in the Barber-Shop or with friends and relatives.
    The Boston Celtics is a helluva well coached team with All-Star
    players at PG, SG, and SF who been "jellin" well as "starters and
    finishers" for the past 4 playoff seasons.
    It is unfair to evaluate rookie Fields or 2nd season Douglas performance
    vs a well organized ex-championship team in a series with an unorganize
    bum-coach Dantoni depending on PG-Chuancy Billups to call all the shots.

    Chuancy Billups outstanding performance in the first game of the
    playoff showed us he was worth every penny of the $14M in this
    upcoming season.

    The Knicks first 3 guards on the court will be Billups, Fields, and TD.
    Rookie Iman Shumpert will be challenging final contract season Walker
    for playingtime as the 4th guard in the rotation.

    The Knicks should suprise everyone by signing two FA centers when
    the lockout ends.....C-Kwame & C-Jason Collins asap.
    They will be easy to sign to 1 year contracts, plus C-Kwame & PF-Turiaf
    were teammates on the Lakers, and C-Collins & PF-Stat were teammates
    on the Suns. These two FA could give the Knicks a huge-edge in the
    upcoming season for a spot in the ECF.
    I know Allen is an all star and Fields is a rookie starter....but Allen completely torched us because he knew he wasn't guarded well and just kept hitting open shots....in the mean time Mike D did not bench Fields until the damage was already done.

    Still Fields is to blame for his poor perimeter defense. I just don't want you saying his defense is exceptional or on the same level as Toney Douglas, because frankly it isn't.

    If it was then Allen would not drained every shot from downtown in every game. Allen would have been contested, somewhat, and his 3 point fg% wouldn't have been as high.

    Fact is Fields failed to cover Allen and not only did we suffer, we got massacred by a mid 30 year old sharp shooter who wasn't contested. Not acceptable and not the exceptional defense honors award.

  12. #27
    Member serendipity10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    near the lincoln tunnel in Union City, NJ staying close to MSG
    Posts
    449
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Possibility

    Not to say this will happen but there might be a chance of a return of Jamal Crawford. Least likely and don't need him but still relates to the Knicks sg question.

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    BY Frank Isola
    Jamal Crawford, who could love nothing more than to rejoin the Knicks when a new collective bargaining agreement is finalized, will apparently have new representation when he officially becomes a free agent.


    According to a person close to the former Knicks shooting guard, Crawford has parted ways with his longtime agency, Goodwin Sports Management, and is seeking a new agent.


    The Goodwin brothers, Aaron and Eric, have maintained a good relationship with the Knicks, particularly when Isiah Thomas was in charge. It was Thomas who orchestrated a sign-and-trade with the Bulls to originally acquire Crawford. Thomas also made a draft day trade for another Goodwin client, Nate Robinson.


    The Goodwin's top client is Kevin Durant. The Goodwins, based out of Seattle, for obvious reasons have dominated that market for years. They represented former Sonics guard Gary Payton. They were also LeBron James' first agent before James left for CAA.


    Crawford, 30, has been one of the NBA's top sixth men the last two seasons with the Atlanta Hawks. Last season, he averaged 14.2 points, his lowest scoring average in 10 seasons. However, he did help Atlanta reach the second round of the playoffs.


    If the Knicks wanted to acquire Crawford, they likely would have to work out a sign-and-trade with Atlanta, which is unlikely. In November, when asked about possibly returning to New York, Crawford said, "Why not? I don't think the trade was personal. It was all about 2010 and the players you can possibly get. I love Atlanta. I want to work out an extension here, but if I become a free agent it's not the end of the world."


    "I'll definitely listen," Crawford added. "If the extension isn't working out, I would definitely listen for sure. I would meet with them."


    The Nets are a possibility also, since New Jersey could use a scorer.

  13. #28
    Member serendipity10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    near the lincoln tunnel in Union City, NJ staying close to MSG
    Posts
    449
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Didn't want to make another thread about this because this is not much to say.

    I liked Crawford when he was on the Knicks but it did annoy me watching him constantly put up bad shots. Played well for the Hawks, last season wasn't his best.

    Just for fun

    I would like to see if you guys could think of a way to make this happen. (most likely losing one or two guards)

    What role you think he will have?

    How will this help or hurt the Knicks?

    Is it worth it?

  14. #29
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    570
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Originally Posted by Paul1355
    I know Allen is an all star and Fields is a rookie starter....but Allen completely torched us because he knew he wasn't guarded well and just kept hitting open shots....in the mean time Mike D did not bench Fields until the damage was already done.

    Still Fields is to blame for his poor perimeter defense. I just don't want you saying his defense is exceptional or on the same level as Toney Douglas, because frankly it isn't.

    If it was then Allen would not drained every shot from downtown in every game. Allen would have been contested, somewhat, and his 3 point fg% wouldn't have been as high.

    Fact is Fields failed to cover Allen and not only did we suffer, we got massacred by a mid 30 year old sharp shooter who wasn't contested. Not acceptable and not the exceptional defense honors award.
    Ray Allen makes EVERYONE look like that. The guy is an all-star for a reason. All he needs is a half-a-second of daylight. He did this to everyone on our team, including TD. He has a habit of hitting ridiculous shots, and there are very few people who can guard him as he runs off three screens. The impetus is to have a help defender take him out of his rhythm. D'Antoni failed for not making the proper adjustments.

    You can't put that on Landry Fields. To quote Toney Douglas, "Ray Allen do what Ray Allen do."

  15. #30
    Super Moderator RunningJumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,012
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Originally Posted by MusketeerX
    Ray Allen makes EVERYONE look like that. The guy is an all-star for a reason. All he needs is a half-a-second of daylight. He did this to everyone on our team, including TD. He has a habit of hitting ridiculous shots, and there are very few people who can guard him as he runs off three screens. The impetus is to have a help defender take him out of his rhythm. D'Antoni failed for not making the proper adjustments.

    You can't put that on Landry Fields. To quote Toney Douglas, "Ray Allen do what Ray Allen do."
    Nothing was worse than the defense against Rondo. It took Anthony Carter in the the second half of game 4 to stop him. Of course, it took D'Antoni that long to play him even though he should have been starting or being the back-up point once Billups went down.

Similar Threads

  1. The main reason Nate should start tommorow!
    By New New York in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Jan 03, 2010, 15:40
  2. Next 8 games after 5-3 Start
    By Kiyaman in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Nov 15, 2008, 11:42
  3. ESPN ANALYSIS: START DAVID LEE and NATE
    By CoolClyde in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: Jan 15, 2008, 11:18
  4. Start DeeLee! Start Nate!
    By CoolClyde in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Dec 27, 2007, 11:09
  5. When Can We Start Dealin'?
    By keyindabox in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jun 03, 2004, 19:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •