View Poll Results: Who do you think should start at sg?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Landry Fields

20 64.52%
  • Iman Shumpert

8 25.81%
  • Toney Douglas

2 6.45%
  • Bill Walker

1 3.23%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who should start at sg?

Veteran

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by serendipity10
    Not to say this will happen but there might be a chance of a return of Jamal Crawford. Least likely and don't need him but still relates to the Knicks sg question.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

BY Frank Isola
    Jamal Crawford, who could love nothing more than to rejoin the Knicks when a new collective bargaining agreement is finalized, will apparently have new representation when he officially becomes a free agent.

According to a person close to the former Knicks shooting guard, Crawford has parted ways with his longtime agency, Goodwin Sports Management, and is seeking a new agent.

The Goodwin brothers, Aaron and Eric, have maintained a good relationship with the Knicks, particularly when Isiah Thomas was in charge. It was Thomas who orchestrated a sign-and-trade with the Bulls to originally acquire Crawford. Thomas also made a draft day trade for another Goodwin client, Nate Robinson.

The Goodwin's top client is Kevin Durant. The Goodwins, based out of Seattle, for obvious reasons have dominated that market for years. They represented former Sonics guard Gary Payton. They were also LeBron James' first agent before James left for CAA.

Crawford, 30, has been one of the NBA's top sixth men the last two seasons with the Atlanta Hawks. Last season, he averaged 14.2 points, his lowest scoring average in 10 seasons. However, he did help Atlanta reach the second round of the playoffs.

If the Knicks wanted to acquire Crawford, they likely would have to work out a sign-and-trade with Atlanta, which is unlikely. In November, when asked about possibly returning to New York, Crawford said, "Why not? I don't think the trade was personal. It was all about 2010 and the players you can possibly get. I love Atlanta. I want to work out an extension here, but if I become a free agent it's not the end of the world."

"I'll definitely listen," Crawford added. "If the extension isn't working out, I would definitely listen for sure. I would meet with them."

The Nets are a possibility also, since New Jersey could use a scorer.

Jamal Crawful is no-no in a Knicks uniform, his bad shot selection and
    inconsistency was not as terrible as Crawford cross-over dribble eating
    up 15 plus seconds of the shot clock with no defender on him.
    The entire NBA knew Crawford was not going to slash to the basket, so
    all the cross-over dribbling was a waste.
    To add Crawford with Carmelo is just the same as Crawford with Marbury,
    two players dominating the ball on every offensive play, while both being
    in wonder-land on the defensive-end of the court.

Veteran

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Melo's ball dominance definitely affected Fields' play. It was almost instantaneous. As soon as Melo came to the Knicks, Fields looked awful. He had his struggles off an on throughout the entire season, as one would expect from a rookie, but he never looked comfortable with Melo.

Fields is a smart player though. I think he'll eventually figure out the rhythm of playing alongside such a ball dominant player, at least I hope he does. All he really needs to do is become a better spot-up 3 point shooter from spots other than the corner and increase his ball-handling skills. Improve those two things and just continue doing what he did so well for us (e.g. crash the boards, play solid defense, etc) and he's really the perfect SG to play along Melo, Billups and Amare. And Melo needs to learn how to pass the freaking ball too.

Douglas shouldn't start at SG and Iman is nowhere near ready to start. Fields is going to have to be our starter.

After the Melo trade so many things changed in the Knicks rotation....
    Mason Jr. was taking out of the November DNP doghouse, and Walker
    was put into the DNP doghouse. TD was no-longer Fields backup, Mason Jr.
    became Fields backup. We no longer had a 40+ minute per game PG in
    (Felton, Duhon, or Marbury), so Toney Douglas got his first chance to lead
    the Knicks at the "point-guard" spot for more than 3 minutes straight. It was
    Toney Douglas first time to lead the point for 8 straight minutes in the regular
    season as a Knicks guard......thanks to the Melo-trade TD got his first
    chance to develope his skills as a NBA PG. Such happiness on a sore shoulder
    made TD PG skillz inconsistent within those final 36 games vs oponents
    experience backcourt tandems.

Landry Fields and Toney Douglas graded a B in teammate-talent as first
    and second season-players in their 86 and 85 games lastseason.
    They werent great but they added to some great moments throughout
    the season.

Veteran

TD was hurt, though.

Fields was just terrible.

near the lincoln tunnel in Union City, NJ staying close to MSG

Originally Posted by Kiyaman

Jamal Crawful is no-no in a Knicks uniform, his bad shot selection and
    inconsistency was not as terrible as Crawford cross-over dribble eating
    up 15 plus seconds of the shot clock with no defender on him.
    The entire NBA knew Crawford was not going to slash to the basket, so
    all the cross-over dribbling was a waste.
    To add Crawford with Carmelo is just the same as Crawford with Marbury,
    two players dominating the ball on every offensive play, while both being
    in wonder-land on the defensive-end of the court.
    I mentioned it wasn't the best idea, Crawford would hurt the team. I was trying to put up a thinking exercise just to continue looking at sg options.

How this might be possible? [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Knicks get: Kirk Hinrich, Crawford, and Etan Thomas

Hawks get: Billups, Balkman, and Mason Jr.

What role will Crawford have? role player off the bench

How will this help or hurt the Knicks?

help: Crawford was once sixth man of the year, he can score off the bench to help the team and if this sign and trade with Crawford and Etan Thomas were to happen it would give the Knicks a defensive Center. Kirk Hinrich is not Billups but also has the ability to play defense, play point, and also has 1 more year on his contract. The only thing I like about the trade, the Knicks get rid of Balkman and Mason Jr.

(Hurt): Hinrich is not Billups. Crawford puts up bad shots, will hurt development of young guards, and Kiyaman is right the team chemistry will be bad. All of this is more important than the help.

Is it worth it? No it is not worth it, Crawford isn't needed.

Veteran

After the postseasons games, and days before the 2011 draft, I was looking at the best cheap FA we could aquire during the summer....names like Arron Brooks, Jason Collins, and Sean Williams became the 3 missing pieces to get the Knicks to the ECF.

I had Billups as a starter with either Fields or TD in the backcourt using a 4-guard rotation throughout the regular season.

Veteran

Crawford has some potential to be a solid roleplayer but we don't need him. A team with Melo and Amar'e does not need scoring like Crawford's off the bench as much as it needs defense.

TD is a good enough scorer off the bench, we don't need another type like that. TD and Fields can do a great job off the bench - I think our team is fine on scoring. We need defense and rebounding.

Veteran

We will need time to figure this one out.

From what I've seen thus far...Fields was busy watching the Stat and Mello show late last season and had problems adjusting his game. I did like what he brought in rebounding. But just like so many was shocked at what he was able to do early last year...we might be seeing the same thing (and more) from Iman in the D'Ant scoring minded system.

If Iman plays like he did in College he will easy slip into the starting line up sooner rather than later...simply due to his defense alone.

If Walker can't find his nitch with the team half way thru the season... he will be coming off the bench again as a role player to keep the tempo upbeat....in his last year as a Knick.

T.Doug has the potential to start. He's scrappy and is developing a consistant long shot and plays great D. He still needs to find the open players faster...and someone other then his favorite target Turiuf.

Billups experience will lock down the starting PG postion (4 now) but his health will be the deciding factor.

We are going to need to see how these guys play with each other B4 stating who'll be starting in the back court.

Veteran

Originally Posted by Real NY Baller
    We will need time to figure this one out.

From what I've seen thus far...Fields was busy watching the Stat and Mello show late last season and had problems adjusting his game. I did like what he brought in rebounding. But just like so many was shocked at what he was able to do early last year...we might be seeing the same thing (and more) from Iman in the D'Ant scoring minded system.

If Iman plays like he did in College he will easy slip into the starting line up sooner rather than later...simply due to his defense alone.

If Walker can't find his nitch with the team half way thru the season... he will be coming off the bench again as a role player to keep the tempo upbeat....in his last year as a Knick.

T.Doug has the potential to start. He's scrappy and is developing a consistant long shot and plays great D. He still needs to find the open players faster...and someone other then his favorite target Turiuf.

Billups experience will lock down the starting PG postion (4 now) but his health will be the deciding factor.

We are going to need to see how these guys play with each other B4 stating who'll be starting in the back court.

I agree.....we will have to see how well these guys co-exist before deciding
    who would is best to start at SG.
    Knowing somewhat of Billups history, the Knicks agreeing to his final year
    contract @$14M will have Billups take over the guard-rotation (not Dantoni).
    I expect to see Billups & Douglas running the point in the upcoming season.
    Iman will get a shot at the PG during the preseason, but will only see spot
    minutes at the point during the regular season. I like Iman work-ethic but....
    the best thing about drafting Iman Shumpert is having Chuancy Billups
    tutorship to guide his rookie year to a bright future in the NBA.

Lastseason before the Melo-trade, Bill Walker was lighting it up coming
    off the bench. At that time Walker was perfect to put in the starting
    lineup with Felton to take pressure off of rookie Landry Fields. TD couldve
    kept coming into the game after the first 6 minutes of the first quarter as
    the backup SG. This wouldve let Fields & Douglas work on jellin to start
    the 2nd quarter of each game. Plus it wouldve raised Bill Walkers trade
    value before the deadline.

I still believe we shouldve drafted 6.8 Faried or 6.9 Singleton with the
    17th pick for their high IQ at defensive-rebounding and boxing-out of
    the paint while playing defense at multi-position (SF/PF). Either of these
    two rookies could be develope to backup Amare while Melo is scoring and
    visa versa. I dont see Dantoni giving Balkman any playingtime (personal),
    so selecting a tough defensive player that plays both PF/SF to take
    pressure off of Amare & Melo wouldve been an A+ for the team.
    Plus Fields need to develope more skills at the SG rather than boxing-out
    of the paint each game for rebounds like a SF. Fields is a great transition
    player to have up top defending the passing-lane. This wouldve made our
    main Goal this summer to sign a FA center......T.Chandler, Gasol, Dalembert,
    Nene, Collins, or Kwame

MY PREDICTION
    Billups -stays healthy and runs the point. Hes still got it

Fields- develops quicker release better ball handling and with a 2nd year finds his role

Iman- subs in at Sg to help defend and may even see some pg time

Toney- hes solid off the bench but a 6'1 SG is a joke hopefully he learns to handle the offense better and can really give billups some rest time

Rautins/Mason/Walker- IMO while they all have some assests they bring to the table but all need to be traded.

If Iman meets his potential I can see him getting the starting position but lets not forget Fields was 2nd in the league amongst guards in rebounding, he has a shot!, High IQ , good work ethic, and not to mention alot of the issues against the Celtdicks were due to the inability of our coaching staff. If iman and Fields continue to develop I see them two as essential to our organization providing good work ethic, defense, rebounding, and the ability to score while providing the knicks with a deeper bench.

You have To make Fields the starter with a guard combination of TD & Iman playing spot minutes at SG and PG as well. If Iman improves and Fields falters, they can then slide Fields into a 6th man role similar to Barnes on the lakers.

Also I want to see who gets released in amnesty since the Knicks are enough of a contender they can attract someone to Play for them on a minimum contract. With the Forwards spots secure having a few extra guards (in a D'antoni system) is a great look because it will give us more options offensively and defensively to compensate for the Knicks lack of a young (proven) high quality player at the Guards position.

Veteran

Nyk Logo

I think it should be tmac. we dont have a SG on our roster and arent we tired of O'antoni playing people out of position....

fields is best suited as a three.. backing up melo.. since he cant shine with stars on the floor...remind me who was our backup for melo last season..SMH

tmac showed last year he was healthy and a far better player than the season before..... also with guys like melo and amare.. an extra passer would hurt..

i also think we need to check on azzy status to see if he reclaimed his athletism. he would of been perfect last season if healthy....

Originally Posted by moneyg
    I think it should be tmac. we dont have a SG on our roster and arent we tired of O'antoni playing people out of position....

fields is best suited as a three.. backing up melo.. since he cant shine with stars on the floor...remind me who was our backup for melo last season..SMH

tmac showed last year he was healthy and a far better player than the season before..... also with guys like melo and amare.. an extra passer would hurt..

i also think we need to check on azzy status to see if he reclaimed his athletism. he would of been perfect last season if healthy....
    I like those options but the Knicks already have sg/sf. I have always been a tmac fan, and he can pass, doesn't necessarily need to score.

Azzy when healthy could have been the best option at starting sg. He can spread the floor with his 3 point shooting ability, was familiar with D'antoni's style, and plays decent defense. The draft might have looked different with Azzy.

My Problem is this
    :
    The Knicks saw something wrong, and to my imagination they must have felt he was injury prone. Tmac is also injury prone, and the Knicks didn't want to gamble.

Default Crawford

I'm sure a few of you will be disappointed but Crawford might be a serious option to start SG.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

The Knicks will lose TD and gain Crawford. Crawford can spread the floor with 3 point shooting but rather keep TD