Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WTF is going on?? LOCKOUT BS!!!

This whole farce is getting more and more insane.

Pre-season completely cancelled.

First 2 weeks of the season jeopardised already.

Superstar

This whole thing sucks so friggin' bad man...Silver lining though, if you listen to the entire David Stern press conference after today's meeting -- whether you wanna believe Stern and Silver, it sounded like there actually was a modicum of progress made today. Maybe even more than a modicum.

If I have this correct:

(1) Originally, the owners were first offering something like 53/47 or 54/46% on the BRI sharing (in favor of the owners) WITH additional givebacks (see below). Players walked away, as they should've. After all, they were getting 56 or 57% of the BRI under the prior agreement, no? Did these owners and Stern really expect them to take a 10 or 11% hit on the BRI as well as cave in to givebacks - hard cap, no guaranteed contracts, etc.?? Come on..That rediculous pie-in-the-sky stance did nothing but waste time by the owners imo. It showed they weren't serious about coming to a quick resolution.

(2) Then today, a 50/50 split was discussed but again, with those additional givebacks. Players rejected that one too but at the end, as per Stern, a 50/50 split with no givebacks was informally discussed last minute, where Hunter/Fisher supposedly took it back to the players -- unfortunately that was said to be rejected as well. Stern kinda stressed that it was not a formal offer and also indicated to the press that he has no idea if it will still be on the table in the future...

2 things here for me -- (1) The fact that Stern/Silver mentioned it took place and that (2) Fisher & Hunter thought enough of it to take it back to the players is what I found encouraging.

Also of note, Stern indicated early on that the owners have come down off several of their earlier demands as well (I presume these are some of the "givebacks" being discussed in addition to the BRI ----> (1) a move off the hard cap by the owners; (2) guaranteed contracts would be authorized (something the owners were looking to take away); (3) no roll-backs of existing salaries (I believe the owners wanted big salary players to make concessions on contracts that were already signed under the old agreement--to me that would've been rediculous--the players union can't possibly agree to that); and (4) an opt-out would exist for the players after 7 years of a proposed 10-yr deal.

I mean, I dunno man.. I'm no fan of Stern or the owners and at first it sounded real bleak today but if you really listen to what Stern was saying, it sounds like there's definite progress being made here. As we're approaching crunch time, the pendulum clearly looks to be swinging toward the players if you ask me...As of now, no plans are in place for future meetings but you gotta figure that'll change in the next 24 hrs..Call me an optimist but despite no agreement thusfar, it sounds like the owners are seriously coming back down to Earth on many of the key issues. Hopefully that bodes well.. I mean considering where this whole thing was, a 50/50 BRI split with little or no givebacks isn't terrible...Still, I bet the players are holding out for a little more. Something tells me that if the players can get this to 51-52% BRI with little or no givebacks, we'll finally have basketball (I believe Fisher is saying the players are standing firm at 53%). Both sides might consider that a victory...Both sides may not be that far apart anymore..Decide for yourselves -- here's the Stern/Silver press conference:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Last edited by finestrg; Oct 04, 2011 at 21:40.

Originally Posted by DontForgetDerekHarper
    Please tell me how this is remotely logical.
    Why would a player ever agree to this?

Insanity, come on man

when you call a suggestion illogical, with out reading exactly what i meant, I am going to call you out on that; I stated that when a player becomes dead meat at the end of a bench, there should be a clause in every player's contract (amnesty) which they are proposing that allows the team to rid themselves of the burden of the contract.

so how is it illogical that the same amnesty clause I suggested a week ago, is illogical when it is the same CBA proposal they are discussing now ?

this is why I called you a fool.

C'mon man reread what you wrote and tell me your two posts are the same.

You know there are some people who post on this forum that are... well... lets just say not the brightest.

And just for the record I know I don't post much but look at my join date.

Default Mediation meditation

Veteran

Cool

Originally Posted by finestrg
    This whole thing sucks so friggin' bad man...Silver lining though, if you listen to the entire David Stern press conference after today's meeting -- whether you wanna believe Stern and Silver, it sounded like there actually was a modicum of progress made today. Maybe even more than a modicum.

If I have this correct:

(1) Originally, the owners were first offering something like 53/47 or 54/46% on the BRI sharing (in favor of the owners) WITH additional givebacks (see below). Players walked away, as they should've. After all, they were getting 56 or 57% of the BRI under the prior agreement, no? Did these owners and Stern really expect them to take a 10 or 11% hit on the BRI as well as cave in to givebacks - hard cap, no guaranteed contracts, etc.?? Come on..That rediculous pie-in-the-sky stance did nothing but waste time by the owners imo. It showed they weren't serious about coming to a quick resolution.

(2) Then today, a 50/50 split was discussed but again, with those additional givebacks. Players rejected that one too but at the end, as per Stern, a 50/50 split with no givebacks was informally discussed last minute, where Hunter/Fisher supposedly took it back to the players -- unfortunately that was said to be rejected as well. Stern kinda stressed that it was not a formal offer and also indicated to the press that he has no idea if it will still be on the table in the future...

2 things here for me -- (1) The fact that Stern/Silver mentioned it took place and that (2) Fisher & Hunter thought enough of it to take it back to the players is what I found encouraging.

Also of note, Stern indicated early on that the owners have come down off several of their earlier demands as well (I presume these are some of the "givebacks" being discussed in addition to the BRI ----> (1) a move off the hard cap by the owners; (2) guaranteed contracts would be authorized (something the owners were looking to take away); (3) no roll-backs of existing salaries (I believe the owners wanted big salary players to make concessions on contracts that were already signed under the old agreement--to me that would've been rediculous--the players union can't possibly agree to that); and (4) an opt-out would exist for the players after 7 years of a proposed 10-yr deal.

I mean, I dunno man.. I'm no fan of Stern or the owners and at first it sounded real bleak today but if you really listen to what Stern was saying, it sounds like there's definite progress being made here. As we're approaching crunch time, the pendulum clearly looks to be swinging toward the players if you ask me...As of now, no plans are in place for future meetings but you gotta figure that'll change in the next 24 hrs..Call me an optimist but despite no agreement thusfar, it sounds like the owners are seriously coming back down to Earth on many of the key issues. Hopefully that bodes well.. I mean considering where this whole thing was, a 50/50 BRI split with little or no givebacks isn't terrible...Still, I bet the players are holding out for a little more. Something tells me that if the players can get this to 51-52% BRI with little or no givebacks, we'll finally have basketball (I believe Fisher is saying the players are standing firm at 53%). Both sides might consider that a victory...Both sides may not be that far apart anymore..Decide for yourselves -- here's the Stern/Silver press conference:

Great Post......
    But we must remember things happen for a reason.

David Stern knew from the previous long lockout (1998-99) that the
    "players & their agents" were not going to "accept" a hard-cap of
    non-gauranteed contracts along with a huge decrease in players
    percentage of the revenue. Especially after the huge increase in rating
    in last season regular and postseason games. The top-5 NBA "Agents"
    would be condeming their future prospects in college now to such a CBA
    agreement. Stern knew the players union would not accept this unless
    forced into a half or full season lockout.

Stern would rather have this 2011-12 season lockedout with all kinds of
    chaos of negative rumors spreading in November, rather than compromise
    the previous "soft-cap" with the players taking a 4% decrease in the
    revenue the next 6 to 7 seasons to get the 2011-12 season started on time.

There have to be a reason for "David Stern" madness.....
    there is not 22 small-market teams in the NBA, the Seattle Super Sonics
    turned into the packed-house full arena OKC Thunders, the N.J. Nets has
    turned into the Brooklyn Nets where the previous owner (real estate Ratner)
    whom Stern is always mentioning loss money in the Nets throughout these
    CBA meetings, when in "real-talk" owner Ratner profit 3 times the amount of
    money he spent on the Nets and the Brooklyn real estate property he sold
    as a package deal to the Nets new (Russian) owner.
    What do Stern have to say about Billionair real estate broker Ratner
    buying a NBA team (that went to the Finals twice) to turn it into a
    big profitable real estate deal......"the Nets organization lost money"...

Default Get Back to Work and Play!

never thought I'd post a Fox News Opinion, but this guy makes sense:

Veteran

Originally Posted by CoolClyde
    never thought I'd post a Fox News Opinion, but this guy makes sense:

This article is the reason why I can never post a Fox Opinion.....it was written with a capitalistic charisma to focus only on the players while making the "wealthy-billionairs" and Stern look like hostages.
    This article forgot to put in the "demands" for a hardcap and 7% raise for the owners in this NBA hostage negotiation.

Its like I wrote in several threads during this offseason-lockout.....Amare being the first 2010 star FA signed to a $100M max contract should have followed through with his (PR) promotion of a team-workout in July/August for reason of the "cancel Summer League Games" to prepare the Knicks rookies, 2nd season, and 3rd season players for the opening of training-camp through the close-door long lock-out.
    This was Amare first priority as the star-leader for the Knicks organization, plus for puplic-relation for the player union Rep. to prove star-players ability to prepare a team for the preseason games without the organization help.
    Once Amare's team-workout got into session it wouldve drawed "media" attention (Big Apple Media) to start a chain reaction from other teams star-players.....with top agents behind the scene ready to organize charity games in different cities vs Amare's Knicks team....."if" the lock-out was not ended by Training-Camp.
    This way the above silly "ARTICLE" could never be written to spread negativities on "one" of the two parties in a negotiation for an agreement to end the lockout.

Am I aiming a lot of blame towards Amare? HELL YEAH!
    1) Amare was the top super-star PF in the 2010 FA market who was the
    first FA to commit to signing with another team ($100M contract).
    2) Amare committed himself publically in early July to financing a team-
    workout on account of the cancelation of the summer league tournament
    that has improve the performance of NBA rookies and 2nd season players
    tremendously since being added in the NBA program.
    3) Amare being persistent at making new dates for the "team-workout" is
    a committment of a "Man's Word" that includes others in depending on his
    word. It's a man thing...

Oh Yeah....the team-workout was not a training-camp in July

Default NBA Cancels November

Union Exec Director Hunter: “We said we got to have some dollars.”

so THAT's the problem!