Amnesty

CA7

Scoring Champ
With the Amnesty clause potentially in place I got a couple guys I think will be available to us we can sign them for minimum deals as they will get paid out their contracts anyway from other teams so potentially other teams will pay for us to have players.

Guys Like:

Emeka Okafor- legit big in the league would do wonders with Amar'e, Melo and potentially CP3

Ben Gordon- While I like Toney Douglas I think Ben Gordon is 10x better he can be that legit scoring option of the bench while Shumpert handles playing the D off the bench

Marvin Williams- D'Antoni needs 2 way players a guy like Marvin is better than Shawne Williams and our spread offense will make his 3 point shooting better as he will see more open looks. He can play that 3-4 hybrid spot off the bench Lamar Odom type of effect

Ramon Sessions- Another pure PG would be an excellent option to have and D'Antoni loves Sessions.

We can let Shawne Williams and Bill Walker walk, trade Douglas to a team like Chicago for draft picks, trade Rautins to Toronto they might want him.

We have the money not only to get these 4 but also we have leverage as they still will get paid top dollar but also living the NYC lifestyle and playing on a potential Championship contender also 3 of these guys have Nike deals so their endorsements will increase playing in NYC.

Billups/Sessions/Shumpert
Fields/Gordon/Shumpert
Anthony/Williams/Balkman
Stoudemire/Williams/Turiaf
Okafor/Turiaf/Jordan

knickscity

Benchwarmer
I'd take Okafor because of dire need at the five, the rest... nope do not want.

Marvin is a better player, but not better for our team than Purp.

Purp compliments Melo and Stat, doesn't mind the dirty work, wants to be here, and is willing to damn near play for free.

Sessions is ok, but I can just see teams just flat out not guard him and personally I'd rather bring AC back.

Ben Gordon for the min...sure, anything else nope...bring back T-Mac and let him have those 12-15 backup minutes.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Teams will release players who they feel they dont want a financial commitment too. i.e. Arenas, Lewis those players will still be paid by those teams but they wont count against the cap. Those players then become UFA free to sign with any team. This will help us get depth for cheap but will also help Miami as players like Brendan Haywood, Baron Davis, Mo Williams and Emeka Okafor might be released and they would def sign with Miami for a shot at a title

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Mo Williams would definitely sign with Miami to be with LeBron again cause he wants LeBron's dick lol

That being said if we could somehow swing Okafor that would be amazing. If we could build a roster that had CP3, Melo, Amar'e, and Okafor, we'd be champs.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I know nothing about this so..........this sounds like the cap doesn't exist or it's ridiculous. Small market teams would be toast. In your scenario not only would Chris Paul AND Okafor be added to the team...Turiaf would still be on on the roster.

Yes, that team would be great, but this sounds like the NBA would be even worse.

Anybody care to explain this thing to me?

Kiyaman

Legend
I do not want the Amnesty-Clause......

I like the idea of adding Okafor to our Knicks roster, but I would
be more happy if we kept the same (soft-cap) "CBA rules" now
that "high-cap Isiah and low-cap Walsh" tanking seasons are gone.
Stand-in GM Glen Grunwald could split our MLE between C-Kwame
and C-Jason Collins, while signing the D.League shotblocker Sean
Williams to the minimum. The addition of these 3 veteran bigman in
every practice with our young big rookies Harrellson & Jordan would
be the right competition to translate their raw performance into the NBA.
:thumbsup: :beer: :thumbsup:
The number-one reason I see for the 90 somethin days of lock-out,
and the animosity between D.Wade vs Stern (my opinion)
:crossfingers:
I do not see the Players-union agreeing to any part of the
"Super Luxury Tax", that rule will clearly rob the profit of all
the contender-teams in the future. Once its implimented into
the NBA it will only go up higher after a certain amount of seasons.
So not agreeing to the super luxury tax eliminates all the complicated
idea that comes with it like the "amnesty-clause".
Every teams 9-Man rotation will have to equal under $70M per in
contracts, leaving no room to resign drafted stars or superstars at
the end of their contracts without going into a higher luxury-tax bracket.
The Championship Mavs showed in their postseason presence its
the 9th, 10th, and 11th man in the rotation to give u the winning edge.
:smokin: :gony: :smokin:

NYKnicks11

Benchwarmer
Okafor would get deals worth more than the minimum still. He's not worth his current contract, but he is still a productive center so he will easily get MLE money.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Seriously, though, having Okafor would change the game for us dramatically. He's a tough center who grabs a ton of rebounds and protects the rim really well.

Last time I checked that's pretty much exactly what kept getting us burned. If rebounding is our problem then I see no reason for us to attempt to sign a guy like Okafor even if it means forgoing a third maximum contract. I'll take Steve Nash + Okafor over CP3 alone anyday

Wargames

Starter
I agree if NO cuts Okafor the Knicks should move damn near mountains to get him since what he does is exactly what the Knicks need as a post presence.

If he was to sign a 3 year deal for say the new MLE equivalent with the Knicks they would be set for a while.

However its not a guarantee NO may figure they should keep him because in a way amnestying Okafor means they will not have a decent Center to be a contender and CP3 will definitely walk. If they're smart they may just let Ariza go and use that money along with the 8 million in trade exceptions they have during free agency to put some good people around Paul to make a run in the West. Right now the west is in weakened and in flux and they could go deep.

On the flip the most likely best centers to be amnestied are Brendan Haywood of Chris Kaman.....

Last edited:

New New York

Quiet Storm
I know nothing about this so..........this sounds like the cap doesn't exist or it's ridiculous. Small market teams would be toast. In your scenario not only would Chris Paul AND Okafor be added to the team...Turiaf would still be on on the roster.

Yes, that team would be great, but this sounds like the NBA would be even worse.

Anybody care to explain this thing to me?

Well not really just the small market teams, but rather the bad teams. I think OKC would do good with such a clause and big market teams like The Clippers and Nets would not do so well

Basically the released player is in a lot of ways set financially so they would try to go some where they would have a shot at a title, which why I agree that overall this would suck for The League!!!!

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I agree if NO cuts Okafor the Knicks should move damn near mountains to get him since what he does is exactly what the Knicks need as a post presence.

If he was to sign a 3 year deal for say the new MLE equivalent with the Knicks they would be set for a while.

However its not a guarantee NO may figure they should keep him because in a way amnestying Okafor means they will not have a decent Center to be a contender and CP3 will definitely walk. If they're smart they may just let Ariza go and use that money along with the 8 million in trade exceptions they have during free agency to put some good people around Paul to make a run in the West. Right now the west is in weakened and in flux and they could go deep.

On the flip the most likely best centers to be amnestied are Brendan Haywood of Chris Kaman.....

I concur....