Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Players Knock Back A Proposed 50/50 Split Of BRI

This latest union/league meeting is now 45 mins in. Let's all pray that this last ditch effort results in the headline: GAME ON!

I don't believe they are able to make a deal. Both sides will get awakened from that revenue madness just after the fans start yelling when they realize the upcoming season won't get started on 11/01.

Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood

well either way the season will have to start a week later then expected only question at this point is whether there'll be 82 games or not. I personally think so. #endthelockout

Veteran

I'm hoping the players give into the owners and take 50% and the owners give in and leave the cap and exceptions intact. Not sure if that is economically feasible but both sides would get something they want.

There has been progress in the negotiations so that's promising.

Originally Posted by DaTPRiNCE
    well either way the season will have to start a week later then expected only question at this point is whether there'll be 82 games or not. I personally think so. #endthelockout
    If they somehow get a deal done today its possible for the season to start on time. The free agent period would be a bonanza though.

Originally Posted by tiger0330
    I'm hoping the players give into the owners and take 50% and the owners give in and leave the cap and exceptions intact. Not sure if that is economically feasible but both sides would get something they want.

Players are not going to give in to 50/50 when thay are the heart and soul of the league. Its only fair that they get the greater share of the BRI. Bottom line, when NYK play the Jazz (no stars) its an average night but when NYK play MIA (Lebron and Co.) its an event. Players generate the interest and millions.

ESPN and TNT don't feature Buss and Dolan when LAL and NY play.

Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood

Originally Posted by nyk_nyk
    If they somehow get a deal done today its possible for the season to start on time. The free agent period would be a bonanza though.
    how awesome would that be? after 3+ months of basically no basketball news whatsoever suddenly these next 3-4 weeks leading up to the season will be mayhem loll.

how awesome would that be? after 3+ months of basically no basketball news whatsoever suddenly these next 3-4 weeks leading up to the season will be mayhem loll.
    Yep! ESPN aka the NFL Network would be forced to jam all the new NBA news in on a daily basis.

6 hours and still no info of the talks...

Back to back games, shorter intervals between playoff games, even a revamp of the schedules. Definitely possible. Welcome back!

Just read that the owners are in the throes of reconstructing their hard stance on the MLE, cap, rollbacks - everything - to get the players to accept a 50/50 split. Presumably the MLE will be shorter, less expensive, but that's a bonus for us.

Originally Posted by nyk_nyk
    Absolutely! From nothing to madness! We should try and bring back Wilson Cha...Oh no, he signed in China. Iiiiiiiiiidiot.

Stern just announced that the first 2 weeks of the regular season will be lost.

Veteran

Thumbs up

This is an excerpt of the letter the union sent to the players re: the negotiations. It think it says that the 50/50 deal relaxed the salary rollback demands also but in the end is was the same deal offered by the owners or as the union phrased it "horse trading".

"Yesterday, however, was about the revenue split. The owners have long been pushing for significant economic relief and we have differences about the extent of the owners’ losses. There have been numerous proposals to shift more dollars to the owners’ side and help cover the increased cost of running this business. In our last formal proposal, we offered to reduce our share of BRI to 52.4 percent, and then gradually increase that percentage over the course of a six-year deal to 54 percent, yielding an average of 53 percent. This offer – measured against our current system which guarantees us 57 percent of BRI – shifts an average of $185 million per year to the owners’ side, for a total of $1.1 billion over six years. We feel this offer – which would involve no rollbacks of existing contracts and maintain the current salary cap and luxury tax levelsis fair and addresses the owners’ complaints.
    Old Timer.....u did a great job on the BRI numbers and shared percentage
    of revenue to owners & players (Big-Props)......but the union and agents
    are suppose to stick with their "above-theory" in this negotiation which
    seems to be the logical solution for owners/team/and Fan-base.
    Certain owners will have to do better in marketing their team in their city.

I want the salary cap increase from lastseason, not lowered.
    I want the MLE back at 5M or 6M so a team can divide it in 2 or 3 players.
    I want the Luxury tax to stay at only $1., it cost a $100M (Mavs) to be
    competitive vs the Miami Big-3.

Letting the players average 53% of the revenue in the next 6 seasons is best
    for the future of the NBA.

Veteran

Angry

Originally Posted by Sage
    Stern just announced that the first 2 weeks of the regular season will be lost.
    Stern is the reason for this lockout going into the regular season.....
    not the owners or players. Stern wants this change from the previous
    CBA more than the cheap owners, the 50-50 split leads to a lower
    salary-cap, lower MLE, and the "super luxury tax"......the luxury-tax
    annual gross will be twice as much as any of the past previous seasons.....
    within a 5 year period owners will be given that 7% they took from the
    players to pay for the $2 and $4 increase in luxury-tax.

If I am wrong please correct me........

Superstar

Default The BRI Split

I am becoming more and more convinced that the BRI split is not the major issue.

I do not envy Billy Hunter. The Union, though currently holding together, is not homogeneous. There are real conflicts among the membership and I expect the owners are holding out for those conflicts to surface. They are likely to surface by mid-November when the players under contract would otherwise begin receiving checks. A free agent cannot get a contract, and a check, until the lockout is over.

The average NBA salary is a little beyond $5M. Given the substantial number of contracts well in excess of that average indicates that there are likely many more players below the $5M than above the $5M. For virtually all these under $5M players, the alternative salary is probably well south of $100K. They are also less likely than the stars to have substantial savings in the bank. In short, they need the job and the money that comes with it.

Players who have perhaps a year or two or three left to play in the NBA, no matter what their salaries, have little concern about the length of any new CBA. They cannot afford to lose a year of only a couple of big salary years left. They too need prompt resolution. Why should they hold-out so that the Kevin Durants and Blake Griffins of the league can make $25M a year rather than $20M a year?

Hunter represents all the conflicting interests. At least in the short run, I believe things are going to be very unpleasant

Originally Posted by Oldtimer
    I am becoming more and more convinced that the BRI split is not the major issue.

I do not envy Billy Hunter. The Union, though currently holding together, is not homogeneous. There are real conflicts among the membership and I expect the owners are holding out for those conflicts to surface. They are likely to surface by mid-November when the players under contract would otherwise begin receiving checks. A free agent cannot get a contract, and a check, until the lockout is over.

The average NBA salary is a little beyond $5M. Given the substantial number of contracts well in excess of that average indicates that there are likely many more players below the $5M than above the $5M. For virtually all these under $5M players, the alternative salary is probably well south of $100K. They are also less likely than the stars to have substantial savings in the bank. In short, they need the job and the money that comes with it.

Players who have perhaps a year or two or three left to play in the NBA, no matter what their salaries, have little concern about the length of any new CBA. They cannot afford to lose a year of only a couple of big salary years left. They too need prompt resolution. Why should they hold-out so that the Kevin Durants and Blake Griffins of the league can make $25M a year rather than $20M a year?

Hunter represents all the conflicting interests. At least in the short run, I believe things are going to be very unpleasant
    Absolutely!!!