What workouts???

nyk_nyk

All Star
Amare was supposed to set up an informal workout weeks ago and has now pushed it back again with no difinitive date. Whatever reason he wants us to believe is bull. He's always at some party or promoting something in NYC to LA. He has other "celebrity" responsibilities and its clearly getting in the way of this workout.

It just pisses me off that he hasn't set a date and stuck with it. As captain, all he has to do is notify guys of the date and place and tell them he expects them there and they will come (at least most of them).

My rant for today. :cool:

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
You mean that workout session in LA including Anthony, Billups, Shumpert and others? Indeed, we haven't heard anything about that lately... But, as you noticed, our superstar has other stuff to do, talkshows, charity games, interviews and blah, blah, blah...
:agreed:

Red

TYPE-A
He said they (he and the team) decided to reschedule it for November to coincide with the start of training camp. A pre-camp the week before. He's waiting until they get word about the lockout, and says the players will be given notice of when camp starts a week or two prior, and that's when they'll have a pre-camp camp.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Doesn't have to be formal, doesn't have to be serious, why not just get together and have some fun so they can bond on the court? Basketball isn't just about x's and o's.

Scribbles

Rotation player
Would you go to work if your boss told you he wasn't going to pay you for those hours?

Bottomline is, yes Amare, and Melo can afford to take flights and schedule these things, but the other guys simple can't.

Not only are they LOSING money but you're asking them to LOSE MORE MONEY when there's not even a certainty of when the NBA season will start.

There's 82 games in a season and 2-3 practices a week. All this commotion about meshing players is nonsense. That is more than enough time....

Training camps are a joke.

Kiyaman

Legend
The effects of Amare's team-workouts....

If Amare & Melo wouldve put up the money for a 2 week work-out for the
Knicks team in September....it wouldve started a chain-reaction where other
star-players wouldve followed suit in putting up the money for their team to
workout.
Once Kobe & Gasol got the Lakers team working-out........this wouldve gave
Derick Fisher and the players-union Hunter more leverage vs the owners.

We wouldve been watching teams star-players setting up games -vs- other
team star-players in Vegas or the goodman games in different cities. Alot of
Charities in different cities wouldve gained alot of money from these games
produced by the "Players" inwhich we NBA fans wouldve considered these
games "The preseason games" inwhich the 2011 draft-class get to perform
with their NBA teammates.

It makes sense for him to push it back.

A training camp with out any notification of a season starting would be useless and a waste of time, the idea of training camp, even if its a mini self formed training camp with no coaches involved just players as Stat stated earlier; its purpose is to prepare for a pre-season then season, so players are on the right page; every one of these guys have been reported as playing alot, as well as personally working out to improve their own games and stay in shape; coming together for a mini camp, that could potentially be months before an actual start of a season would be silly; being that every one would get together train for a week, then go their separate ways for months.

imagine youre opening a new food place, you wouldnt call for your wait staff to come together for trainings five months before the place is even open .

whats the point ?

I mentioned his egotism and desire for the lime light last year when he first got here. He seems very interested in the star and fashion atmosphere of NY. After seeing him pose in the nude, and then in tight floresant cloths only shows me that his focus is not all about BBall. Besides, at this moment what's the point? If the chances of having a season is slim to none... and the players can't even sit in the same meeting with their owners why bother? The whole season looks like it's going to be washed out..so they're acting like it's not important and are finding alternatives to stay busy. I'm sure they know their predictament better than any fan hopes to imagine.

The die hard fans will just have to suck it up and find something else to do. I know this whole thing sucks...especially since the Knicks are finally starting to look like something to watch. ol' well...the world still spins and it doesn't revolve around the NBA.

If you really care, get enough fans together and do something that the league and it's players will see and respect....

I mentioned his egotism and desire for the lime light last year when he first got here. He seems very interested in the star and fashion atmosphere of NY. After seeing him pose in the nude, and then in tight floresant cloths only shows me that his focus is not all about BBall. Besides, at this moment what's the point? If the chances of having a season is slim to none... and the players can't even sit in the same meeting with their owners why bother? The whole season looks like it's going to be washed out..so they're acting like it's not important and are finding alternatives to stay busy. I'm sure they know their predictament better than any fan hopes to imagine.

The die hard fans will just have to suck it up and find something else to do. I know this whole thing sucks...especially since the Knicks are finally starting to look like something to watch. ol' well...the world still spins and it doesn't revolve around the NBA.

If you really care, get enough fans together and do something that the league and it's players will see and respect....

dude, stop hating.

I have never seen a super star who didnt fall into the lime light of their respective cities.

You are going to sit here and tell me one of the hardest working Big men in the league who recovered from several injuries that would put most big men back to the stone age; he has worked extensively on his jump shot, and conditioning to be where he is today.

Wade a champion is in more fashion magazines than amare could ever be in

Shaq was the endorsement king and had rap albums and movies while winning 4 chips in his time.

Kobe fashion
jordan used to show up in magazines every where posing for various commercials.

Its the NBA its the off season, if Amare wants to pose in a chicken suit for KFC he can do it.

but dont tell me the man cares more about the lime light than basketball, he has been the first real leader on and off the court this team has had since patrick ewing.

TYPICAL MORON KNICKS FANS

whyyyy must we hate our best players all the time.

nyk_nyk

All Star
He said they (he and the team) decided to reschedule it for November to coincide with the start of training camp. A pre-camp the week before. He's waiting until they get word about the lockout, and says the players will be given notice of when camp starts a week or two prior, and that's when they'll have a pre-camp camp.

This doesn't make much sense to me. If negotiations result in there being a season, things will start to move quickly and therefore notifying players at that point would be useless since the team facilities will be open to everyone at that point.

A training camp with out any notification of a season starting would be useless and a waste of time

Same as above. The original point of the informal camp was to get guys together and build on chemistry. These guys didn't have that much time to play together last season plus we have the rookies to work in. Doesn't matter when the season starts. If you originally set a date to have the workout then follow through with it and then proceed with the celebrity resposibilities. The Knicks need a lot of work so even if the camp is 2 months before the season starts it just means that guys are serious about getting better as a team. There is no such thing as a waste of time when it comes to building some sort of chemistry with your team.

This doesn't make much sense to me. If negotiations result in there being a season, things will start to move quickly and therefore notifying players at that point would be useless since the team facilities will be open to everyone at that point.

Same as above. The original point of the informal camp was to get guys together and build on chemistry. These guys didn't have that much time to play together last season plus we have the rookies to work in. Doesn't matter when the season starts. If you originally set a date to have the workout then follow through with it and then proceed with the celebrity resposibilities. The Knicks need a lot of work so even if the camp is 2 months before the season starts it just means that guys are serious about getting better as a team. There is no such thing as a waste of time when it comes to building some sort of chemistry with your team.

while I understand your point, I still firmly believe that chemistry needs consistency, and to train together for a week, and then spread apart them come back for a shortened season; it would benefit the team to schedule the mini self made camp before actual training camp, so that they have a start and a finish to the season; taking a break for how ever long can actually ruin chemistry more than help it; being that if there are certain chemistry barriers that become unresolved during the mini camp; taking time off before the season is proposed to begin can cause a rift.

Kiyaman

Legend
The Knicks players are still divided....

It makes sense for him to push it back.

A training camp with out any notification of a season starting would be useless and a waste of time, the idea of training camp, even if its a mini self formed training camp with no coaches involved just players as Stat stated earlier; its purpose is to prepare for a pre-season then season, so players are on the right page; every one of these guys have been reported as playing alot, as well as personally working out to improve their own games and stay in shape; coming together for a mini camp, that could potentially be months before an actual start of a season would be silly; being that every one would get together train for a week, then go their separate ways for months.

imagine youre opening a new food place, you wouldnt call for your wait staff to come together for trainings five months before the place is even open .

whats the point ?

The lockout has hurt a lot of teams, the Knicks in particular when they added two superstars (Melo & Billups) late lastseason with the subtraction of core players to their system. The co-existence performance of Amare/Melo/Billups were very poor in the last two months of the season.

A training camp with out any notification of a season starting would be useless and a waste of time,
I have to disagree with the highlighted quote for reasons of the "seven young players" that will be on the Knicks roster when the season resume "need" to have a week or two of (on and off court) knowledge from their trio star teammates during this important lockout that concerns their future in the NBA.
This lockout canceled the summer league games which wouldve consisted of players "Shumpert, Harrellson, Jerome Jordan, Fields, and Rauntins" whom all were prepared in July & August to join Amare's team-workout session untill Amare canceled for the 3rd time at the end of August.
The relationship between all Knicks teammates need to start ASAP with Amare & Melo under contract for the next 5 seasons....it wouldve been nice reading the Knicks star tandem of "Amare & Melo" were seen together this lockout offseason like Lebron & Wade, or Pierce, KG, and Ray, but we Knicks-fans only read single artlcles on each star.

Derrick Harper...
You got it twisted brah, I like Stat but I don't think he is focused. Pat was always focused, I even brought a pair of his kicks and I never seen him advertise them once. The only time I saw Patrick Ewing on TV was in a game, promoting charities, or discussing the game. (imo) We will probably never have another player such as him. One of the last true players to play the game.

Amare is one of my dudes, but when I see that his team is lacking chemistry (granted it's his first year) but he's able to find time to pose for magizines and appear on kiddie shows dribbling a basketball like an amature... I question his true work ethic. He's not even in his thirties yet he harbors weak knees and a f-up back...it's only a matter of time before he's washed up. I guess his other endeavors is a way for him to look out for his future. I can't hate on that.

Other than rocking a pair of Ewings back in the day... I only wear Jordans and some of Kobe's gear...simply because they exemplify champions. If you aren't wearing a ring your attention should be on championships before using the brand to make your star shine for other reasons outside the sport. I don't give a crap what a non-champions opinion on style is. He's been here one year and has been paraded around like some champion.

I'm saying...I'll wait until he actually shows up before I'll give him that much props. I know some fans have been thirsty...but I can wait until he actually shows me something in the playoffs before I start caring about anything he does off the court.

Last edited:

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Derrick Harper...
You got it twisted brah, I like Stat but I don't think he is focused. Pat was always focused, I even brought a pair of his kicks and I never seen him advertise them once. The only time I saw Patrick Ewing on TV was in a game, promoting charities, or discussing the game. (imo) We will probably never have another player such as him. One of the last true players to play the game.

Amare is one of my dudes, but when I see that his team is lacking chemistry (granted it's his first year) but he's able to find time to pose for magizines and appear on kiddie shows dribbling a basketball like an amature... I question his true work ethic. He's not even in his thirties yet he harbors weak knees and a f-up back...it's only a matter of time before he's washed up. I guess his other endeavors is a way for him to look out for his future. I can't hate on that.

Other than rocking a pair of Ewings back in the day... I only wear Jordans and some of Kobe's gear...simply because they exemplify champions. If you aren't wearing a ring your attention should be on championships before using the brand to make your star shine for other reasons outside the sport. I don't give a crap what a non-champions opinion on style is. He's been here one year and has been paraded around like some champion.

I'm saying...I'll wait until he actually shows up before I'll give him that much props. I know some fans have been thirsty...but I can wait until he actually shows me something in the playoffs before I start caring about anything he does off the court.

First of all Ewing was not as marketable as Amare is. You say he was focused. I say corporations were not really looking at him like that. To be able to help sell a product as an athlete you either have to be a winner- ie win championships- or be great and have a some personality, like a Barkley or Iverson. Ewing met neither requirement. He was the better player by far, but he wasnt as marketable as Amare is because of his bland persona.

Next, you seem to be simultaneously hating while saying youre not mad at Amare. In one sentence you said you cant hate on him looking out for his future. Then in the same post you said 'hes been here one yr and been paraded around like some champion'. You cant have it both ways. Sounds like confused hate. Dudes are gonna take money if its put on the table for them champion or not. Like the boy said in the first 'The Wire' ep, "this is America" .. In other words you cant expect anything less.

If the preseason/ season was on schedule and Amare had pushed back a workout while seemingly looking distracted i'd be all over him too, but it isnt. The man can do as he pleases.

First of all Ewing was not as marketable as Amare is. You say he was focused. I say corporations were not really looking at him like that. To be able to help sell a product as an athlete you either have to be a winner- ie win championships- or be great and have a some personality, like a Barkley or Iverson. Ewing met neither requirement. He was the better player by far, but he wasnt as marketable as Amare is because of his bland persona.

Next, you seem to be simultaneously hating while saying youre not mad at Amare. In one sentence you said you cant hate on him looking out for his future. Then in the same post you said 'hes been here one yr and been paraded around like some champion'. You cant have it both ways. Sounds like confused hate. Dudes are gonna take money if its put on the table for them champion or not. Like the boy said in the first 'The Wire' ep, "this is America" .. In other words you cant expect anything less.

If the preseason/ season was on schedule and Amare had pushed back a workout while seemingly looking distracted i'd be all over him too, but it isnt. The man can do as he pleases.

I don't care what he does off the court. If he's a winner off the court I'm happy for him, truly. I'm talking about his work ethic here. He was new to the city, and IMO, I think he's wearing himself thin. If he is going to continue to play underneath D'Ant's high tempo system he better keep himself in BBall shape (not modelling shape) by staying focus to what got him into that spot light in the first place. And he should be taking time to school the youngins and discussing bball with the rest of his teammates. I like to think he is, but I don't see or hear anything about that.

Also, I stated "why should he focus on bball if the season is going to be a wash". His actions tells me that he's not focusing on bball, atm. I'm not hating...far from it. I'm just calling it like i see it...

As far as why you think Ewing wasn't Marketed the same way as many others is very subjective. From my observation and hearing him speak... he didn't seem interested at all in that part of the game.

Red

TYPE-A

Ego goes a long way in sports. It's about business, and a short career which can be made even shorter in an instant should be insured by any means necessary.

I don't see any valid reasons for your complaint. He has done nothing to jeopordize our team. Good for him he's getting money. That says he has smarts- and if you listen to 85% of some of these dopes, their best attribute is boouncing and scoring a ball, let alone graduating with a (paid for) degree in engineering... my a$$!

Anyway I'm with the post below (except for degrading NYK fans)... stop hating.

Not only has he been the leader we needed; relentless, commited and real

Sh!t... that 30pt's per record he broke (or tied) was worth a few hollywood moments at the least.

dude, stop hating.

I have never seen a super star who didnt fall into the lime light of their respective cities.

You are going to sit here and tell me one of the hardest working Big men in the league who recovered from several injuries that would put most big men back to the stone age; he has worked extensively on his jump shot, and conditioning to be where he is today.

Wade a champion is in more fashion magazines than amare could ever be in

Shaq was the endorsement king and had rap albums and movies while winning 4 chips in his time.

Kobe fashion
jordan used to show up in magazines every where posing for various commercials.

Its the NBA its the off season, if Amare wants to pose in a chicken suit for KFC he can do it.

but dont tell me the man cares more about the lime light than basketball, he has been the first real leader on and off the court this team has had since patrick ewing.

TYPICAL MORON KNICKS FANS

whyyyy must we hate our best players all the time.

X2.

But they have played together in their player sponsored games, even with CP3 and Shump. Because the "entire" team hasn't committed to camp yet (which the entire team might still not) means nothing at this point.

According to him, the league will give teams a week or two before camp begins. And yeah when/if the season starts they expect a FA bonanza ala the NFL.

And I'll add, the more camps, mock leagues etc... the more likely for injury. He mentioned that too- that a 50 game shortened season would be welcomed by him and co.

This is really not about hating. It?s about being that true leader. I could never hate on anyone for doing what they want. But, I can point out some reasons to why he may never be a champion, It's his focus and commitment. There are still parts of his game that needs impovement. He should be eating, dreaming and shitting basketballs...like every other champ did. Right now he is being marketed as the savior of the knicks. I just don?t see how when his work ethic is questionable and his health seems to be a big issue. From what I saw of him thus far?he can start out strong but he doesn?t have the endurance to last a full season with the same intensity he started out with.

His back and knee injuries appears to be from wear and tear over the years, and/or poor conditioning to properly play in this fast tempo system. Every champion I?ve ever witnessed played better as the season progressed. When your game starts to taper off towards the end then you?re not the caliber of player that will get a team a chip. He may be a solid contributor but definitely not the go to man?especially when your ball handling skills and defense is suspect. I?m wondering if he is passing his prime, or does he need to be in better basketball shape. Maybe that?s why Phoenix let him go. I always saw the Knicks grabbing him as a desperation move because they failed to get Lebron and used Stat as bait to lore other superstars to the team?not once have I seen him as the franchise,nfw. Some fans might think so, but I think that frame of thinking comes from the lack of good basketball being played at the Garden for the last decade. So it?s understandable for diehard fans to be overly optimistic.

Until I see him do the very things that champions do to get the bling?I?ll label him as a talented player who doesn?t (yet) have what it takes to be a champion. When you?re tagged one of the best or captain of a team you are suppose to conduct private games, film sessions, and meetings with team mates?.especially when there is much time on your hands (like now). However, that might not happen if the season will be canceled. That?s the only reason why I see him not taking the opportunity to gel a bit more serious. Everything else he is doing off the court is not my concern. There are other people I like and respect more for their genuine taste in style, music, etc?

Being that he only played one year here and the fact that he's playing on a new team under a weak coach...I can give him a pass on his failures here. As far as being that dude, that champ...he needs to start acting like one and let his game do the talking...a half season of good ballin is not going to cut it.

This is really not about hating. It?s about being that true leader. I could never hate on anyone for doing what they want. But, I can point out some reasons to why he may never be a champion, It's his focus and commitment. There are still parts of his game that needs impovement. He should be eating, dreaming and shitting basketballs...like every other champ did. Right now he is being marketed as the savior of the knicks. I just don?t see how when his work ethic is questionable and his health seems to be a big issue. From what I saw of him thus far?he can start out strong but he doesn?t have the endurance to last a full season with the same intensity he started out with.

His back and knee injuries appears to be from wear and tear over the years, and/or poor conditioning to properly play in this fast tempo system. Every champion I?ve ever witnessed played better as the season progressed. When your game starts to taper off towards the end then you?re not the caliber of player that will get a team a chip. He may be a solid contributor but definitely not the go to man?especially when your ball handling skills and defense is suspect. I?m wondering if he is passing his prime, or does he need to be in better basketball shape. Maybe that?s why Phoenix let him go. I always saw the Knicks grabbing him as a desperation move because they failed to get Lebron and used Stat as bait to lore other superstars to the team?not once have I seen him as the franchise,nfw. Some fans might think so, but I think that frame of thinking comes from the lack of good basketball being played at the Garden for the last decade. So it?s understandable for diehard fans to be overly optimistic.

Until I see him do the very things that champions do to get the bling?I?ll label him as a talented player who doesn?t (yet) have what it takes to be a champion. When you?re tagged one of the best or captain of a team you are suppose to conduct private games, film sessions, and meetings with team mates?.especially when there is much time on your hands (like now). However, that might not happen if the season will be canceled. That?s the only reason why I see him not taking the opportunity to gel a bit more serious. Everything else he is doing off the court is not my concern. There are other people I like and respect more for their genuine taste in style, music, etc?

Being that he only played one year here and the fact that he's playing on a new team under a weak coach...I can give him a pass on his failures here. As far as being that dude, that champ...he needs to start acting like one and let his game do the talking...a half season of good ballin is not going to cut it.

and how is Amare 25 ppg 2 blks pg, tapering off ?

he is doing the same thing he always has, dunked the ball, gotten to the foul line, knocked down mid range jumpers with consistency, and vocally lead on and off the floor ?

Taper, he actually improved last year, would make players around him better, and did so with out a super star PG.

im so confused man, this is why I said i cant understand Knicks Fans and why they flagrantly poo poo our bestplayers; allan houston led us to the finals by demolishing Reggie Miller , when ewing was injured and we destroy him. Ewing who played with out another superstar and and broke defensive records in the finals against Hakeem, and we wanted his head because starks and riley blew his chance to win it all by not subbing starks out for blackman in game 7. We get carmelo anthony, and half the people on this forum knock him because we gave up scrubs to get him.

Yet every one loved david lee who was responsible for helping us lose games for half a decade

every one will defend marbury for swallowing vaseline and jumping interns

every one will cheer starks in the garden for going 2-18

every one sweats gallinari for going 8-12 one night and then 3-15 the next.

explain to me how this works people ?

I saw Amare's game falling off towards the end of the season, maybe that was due to the injuries to his knees and back...which may be a product of improper conditioning and/or old age setting in. we all know how players stats are boosted in D'Ant's system.

In any case, I strongly believe the time he puts into outher things off the court could have went into getting his team in order...which it clearly wasn't. I'm just saying what he can do to be better...by being more focus on what he came here for. I'm a NY fan before I'm a player fan and I do not accept half hearted attempts to be greatness or champions. I see the room for his improvement and how it can be achived...hopefully Stat will see it too soon enough.

The only players I like outside of NY teams are champions simply because I admire and respect what they did to be the best...and it was nothing short of complete focus in the game. I don't want to hear or see anything about him on tv shows or in magizines promoting clothes, thats not what I pay to see. When he fulfills his duties as a player to bring NY a chip....or in the least give every effort to do so...then I might gain some interest in what he does on the side.

That lime light attitude probably rubbed off from the coach because he also craves the spot light by hosting a tv show during the season...it's all unnessary distractions. Do that crap in the off season and focus only on ballin during the season. simple.