Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24

Thread: What workouts???

  1. #16
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,270
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by ronoranina
    First of all Ewing was not as marketable as Amare is. You say he was focused. I say corporations were not really looking at him like that. To be able to help sell a product as an athlete you either have to be a winner- ie win championships- or be great and have a some personality, like a Barkley or Iverson. Ewing met neither requirement. He was the better player by far, but he wasnt as marketable as Amare is because of his bland persona.

    Next, you seem to be simultaneously hating while saying youre not mad at Amare. In one sentence you said you cant hate on him looking out for his future. Then in the same post you said 'hes been here one yr and been paraded around like some champion'. You cant have it both ways. Sounds like confused hate. Dudes are gonna take money if its put on the table for them champion or not. Like the boy said in the first 'The Wire' ep, "this is America" .. In other words you cant expect anything less.

    If the preseason/ season was on schedule and Amare had pushed back a workout while seemingly looking distracted i'd be all over him too, but it isnt. The man can do as he pleases.

    I don't care what he does off the court. If he's a winner off the court I'm happy for him, truly. I'm talking about his work ethic here. He was new to the city, and IMO, I think he's wearing himself thin. If he is going to continue to play underneath D'Ant's high tempo system he better keep himself in BBall shape (not modelling shape) by staying focus to what got him into that spot light in the first place. And he should be taking time to school the youngins and discussing bball with the rest of his teammates. I like to think he is, but I don't see or hear anything about that.

    Also, I stated "why should he focus on bball if the season is going to be a wash". His actions tells me that he's not focusing on bball, atm. I'm not hating...far from it. I'm just calling it like i see it...

    As far as why you think Ewing wasn't Marketed the same way as many others is very subjective. From my observation and hearing him speak... he didn't seem interested at all in that part of the game.

  2. #17
    TYPE-A Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,308
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally Posted by Real NY Baller
    I mentioned his egotism and desire for the lime light last year when he first got here. He seems very interested in the star and fashion atmosphere of NY. After seeing him pose in the nude, and then in tight floresant cloths only shows me that his focus is not all about BBall. Besides, at this moment what's the point? If the chances of having a season is slim to none... and the players can't even sit in the same meeting with their owners why bother? The whole season looks like it's going to be washed out..so they're acting like it's not important and are finding alternatives to stay busy. I'm sure they know their predictament better than any fan hopes to imagine.

    The die hard fans will just have to suck it up and find something else to do. I know this whole thing sucks...especially since the Knicks are finally starting to look like something to watch. ol' well...the world still spins and it doesn't revolve around the NBA.

    If you really care, get enough fans together and do something that the league and it's players will see and respect....
    Ego goes a long way in sports. It's about business, and a short career which can be made even shorter in an instant should be insured by any means necessary.

    I don't see any valid reasons for your complaint. He has done nothing to jeopordize our team. Good for him he's getting money. That says he has smarts- and if you listen to 85% of some of these dopes, their best attribute is boouncing and scoring a ball, let alone graduating with a (paid for) degree in engineering... my a$$!

    Anyway I'm with the post below (except for degrading NYK fans)... stop hating.

    Not only has he been the leader we needed; relentless, commited and real

    Sh!t... that 30pt's per record he broke (or tied) was worth a few hollywood moments at the least.

    Originally Posted by DontForgetDerekHarper
    dude, stop hating.

    I have never seen a super star who didnt fall into the lime light of their respective cities.

    You are going to sit here and tell me one of the hardest working Big men in the league who recovered from several injuries that would put most big men back to the stone age; he has worked extensively on his jump shot, and conditioning to be where he is today.

    Wade a champion is in more fashion magazines than amare could ever be in

    Shaq was the endorsement king and had rap albums and movies while winning 4 chips in his time.

    Kobe fashion
    jordan used to show up in magazines every where posing for various commercials.

    Its the NBA its the off season, if Amare wants to pose in a chicken suit for KFC he can do it.

    but dont tell me the man cares more about the lime light than basketball, he has been the first real leader on and off the court this team has had since patrick ewing.

    TYPICAL MORON KNICKS FANS

    whyyyy must we hate our best players all the time.
    X2.

    Originally Posted by nyk_nyk
    This doesn't make much sense to me. If negotiations result in there being a season, things will start to move quickly and therefore notifying players at that point would be useless since the team facilities will be open to everyone at that point.



    Same as above. The original point of the informal camp was to get guys together and build on chemistry. These guys didn't have that much time to play together last season plus we have the rookies to work in. Doesn't matter when the season starts. If you originally set a date to have the workout then follow through with it and then proceed with the celebrity resposibilities. The Knicks need a lot of work so even if the camp is 2 months before the season starts it just means that guys are serious about getting better as a team. There is no such thing as a waste of time when it comes to building some sort of chemistry with your team.
    But they have played together in their player sponsored games, even with CP3 and Shump. Because the "entire" team hasn't committed to camp yet (which the entire team might still not) means nothing at this point.

    According to him, the league will give teams a week or two before camp begins. And yeah when/if the season starts they expect a FA bonanza ala the NFL.

    And I'll add, the more camps, mock leagues etc... the more likely for injury. He mentioned that too- that a 50 game shortened season would be welcomed by him and co.

  3. #18
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,270
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    This is really not about hating. It’s about being that true leader. I could never hate on anyone for doing what they want. But, I can point out some reasons to why he may never be a champion, It's his focus and commitment. There are still parts of his game that needs impovement. He should be eating, dreaming and ****ting basketballs...like every other champ did. Right now he is being marketed as the savior of the knicks. I just don’t see how when his work ethic is questionable and his health seems to be a big issue. From what I saw of him thus far…he can start out strong but he doesn’t have the endurance to last a full season with the same intensity he started out with.

    His back and knee injuries appears to be from wear and tear over the years, and/or poor conditioning to properly play in this fast tempo system. Every champion I’ve ever witnessed played better as the season progressed. When your game starts to taper off towards the end then you’re not the caliber of player that will get a team a chip. He may be a solid contributor but definitely not the go to man…especially when your ball handling skills and defense is suspect. I’m wondering if he is passing his prime, or does he need to be in better basketball shape. Maybe that’s why Phoenix let him go. I always saw the Knicks grabbing him as a desperation move because they failed to get Lebron and used Stat as bait to lore other superstars to the team…not once have I seen him as the franchise,nfw. Some fans might think so, but I think that frame of thinking comes from the lack of good basketball being played at the Garden for the last decade. So it’s understandable for diehard fans to be overly optimistic.

    Until I see him do the very things that champions do to get the bling…I’ll label him as a talented player who doesn’t (yet) have what it takes to be a champion. When you’re tagged one of the best or captain of a team you are suppose to conduct private games, film sessions, and meetings with team mates….especially when there is much time on your hands (like now). However, that might not happen if the season will be canceled. That’s the only reason why I see him not taking the opportunity to gel a bit more serious. Everything else he is doing off the court is not my concern. There are other people I like and respect more for their genuine taste in style, music, etc…

    Being that he only played one year here and the fact that he's playing on a new team under a weak coach...I can give him a pass on his failures here. As far as being that dude, that champ...he needs to start acting like one and let his game do the talking...a half season of good ballin is not going to cut it.

  4. #19
    Veteran DontForgetDerekHarper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,263
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by Real NY Baller
    This is really not about hating. It’s about being that true leader. I could never hate on anyone for doing what they want. But, I can point out some reasons to why he may never be a champion, It's his focus and commitment. There are still parts of his game that needs impovement. He should be eating, dreaming and ****ting basketballs...like every other champ did. Right now he is being marketed as the savior of the knicks. I just don’t see how when his work ethic is questionable and his health seems to be a big issue. From what I saw of him thus far…he can start out strong but he doesn’t have the endurance to last a full season with the same intensity he started out with.

    His back and knee injuries appears to be from wear and tear over the years, and/or poor conditioning to properly play in this fast tempo system. Every champion I’ve ever witnessed played better as the season progressed. When your game starts to taper off towards the end then you’re not the caliber of player that will get a team a chip. He may be a solid contributor but definitely not the go to man…especially when your ball handling skills and defense is suspect. I’m wondering if he is passing his prime, or does he need to be in better basketball shape. Maybe that’s why Phoenix let him go. I always saw the Knicks grabbing him as a desperation move because they failed to get Lebron and used Stat as bait to lore other superstars to the team…not once have I seen him as the franchise,nfw. Some fans might think so, but I think that frame of thinking comes from the lack of good basketball being played at the Garden for the last decade. So it’s understandable for diehard fans to be overly optimistic.

    Until I see him do the very things that champions do to get the bling…I’ll label him as a talented player who doesn’t (yet) have what it takes to be a champion. When you’re tagged one of the best or captain of a team you are suppose to conduct private games, film sessions, and meetings with team mates….especially when there is much time on your hands (like now). However, that might not happen if the season will be canceled. That’s the only reason why I see him not taking the opportunity to gel a bit more serious. Everything else he is doing off the court is not my concern. There are other people I like and respect more for their genuine taste in style, music, etc…

    Being that he only played one year here and the fact that he's playing on a new team under a weak coach...I can give him a pass on his failures here. As far as being that dude, that champ...he needs to start acting like one and let his game do the talking...a half season of good ballin is not going to cut it.


    and how is Amare 25 ppg 2 blks pg, tapering off ?

    he is doing the same thing he always has, dunked the ball, gotten to the foul line, knocked down mid range jumpers with consistency, and vocally lead on and off the floor ?

    Taper, he actually improved last year, would make players around him better, and did so with out a super star PG.


    im so confused man, this is why I said i cant understand Knicks Fans and why they flagrantly poo poo our bestplayers; allan houston led us to the finals by demolishing Reggie Miller , when ewing was injured and we destroy him. Ewing who played with out another superstar and and broke defensive records in the finals against Hakeem, and we wanted his head because starks and riley blew his chance to win it all by not subbing starks out for blackman in game 7. We get carmelo anthony, and half the people on this forum knock him because we gave up scrubs to get him.

    Yet every one loved david lee who was responsible for helping us lose games for half a decade

    every one will defend marbury for swallowing vaseline and jumping interns

    every one will cheer starks in the garden for going 2-18

    every one sweats gallinari for going 8-12 one night and then 3-15 the next.

    explain to me how this works people ?

  5. #20
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,270
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    I saw Amare's game falling off towards the end of the season, maybe that was due to the injuries to his knees and back...which may be a product of improper conditioning and/or old age setting in. we all know how players stats are boosted in D'Ant's system.

    In any case, I strongly believe the time he puts into outher things off the court could have went into getting his team in order...which it clearly wasn't. I'm just saying what he can do to be better...by being more focus on what he came here for. I'm a NY fan before I'm a player fan and I do not accept half hearted attempts to be greatness or champions. I see the room for his improvement and how it can be achived...hopefully Stat will see it too soon enough.

    The only players I like outside of NY teams are champions simply because I admire and respect what they did to be the best...and it was nothing short of complete focus in the game. I don't want to hear or see anything about him on tv shows or in magizines promoting clothes, thats not what I pay to see. When he fulfills his duties as a player to bring NY a chip....or in the least give every effort to do so...then I might gain some interest in what he does on the side.

    That lime light attitude probably rubbed off from the coach because he also craves the spot light by hosting a tv show during the season...it's all unnessary distractions. Do that crap in the off season and focus only on ballin during the season. simple.

  6. #21
    Veteran nyk_nyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,529
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    DFDH and Real NYB:

    I agree with both of your points because there is much truth to what both of you are saying. On one hand, we have Amare who came from a much less flashy city in PHX to the bright lights of NYC and is milking it for all its worth (can't blame him). On the other hand we have Amare who claimed NY is back at the beginning of last season and gave fans a reason to feel good about the near future. NY has always been a city where fans appreciate dedication and hard work on and off the court. We all know the flaws of Amare's game and I can understand the diehard fan wanting to hear more about his basketball progress than his fashion shoots.

    There is nothing wrong with Amare and Melo for that matter doing TV and other celebrity activites in NYC. HOWEVER, knowing that each of their games need improvement and knowing how much the city sees them as hope for the knicks being back on top, the other things they are involved in while games are being lost can rub fans the wrong way. They both expressed how important it was for them to lead this team to a championship, so all people want to see is them working hard to achieve it. Those charity games were equivalent to nothing, just entertainment. Working with your actual teammates is worth more.

    Like I said, you both make fair points and I personally don't have a huge problem with all the celebrity stuff because at the end of the day they need to keep themselves relevant and reap the monetary benefits in this capitalist society, but I need a healthy balance of that and some headlines about guys working on the weak parts of their game. The last two seasons I remember reading about Howard and Kobe working with Hakeem to gain an edge on their post play. That tells fans that their star is dedicated to the success of the team at all times. I know not everyone has that mentality but that's what the fans want to hear about.

  7. #22
    Super Moderator RunningJumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,011
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Well, Amar'e did only leave Phoenix because of money, admittedly.

    He has yet to shown me he doesn't work hard though. Maybe he's looking at this as "I'm gonna let my body heal, and it's not like we're gonna get no training camp before the season begins."

    Fact is none of us know what he's thinking. If he showed laziness on the court last season then we could speculate more, but I don't think there's much to be critical of him on. The man is enjoying life.

  8. #23
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,955
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Originally Posted by Real NY Baller
    This is really not about hating. It’s about being that true leader. I could never hate on anyone for doing what they want. But, I can point out some reasons to why he may never be a champion, It's his focus and commitment. There are still parts of his game that needs impovement. He should be eating, dreaming and ****ting basketballs...like every other champ did. Right now he is being marketed as the savior of the knicks. I just don’t see how when his work ethic is questionable and his health seems to be a big issue. From what I saw of him thus far…he can start out strong but he doesn’t have the endurance to last a full season with the same intensity he started out with.

    His back and knee injuries appears to be from wear and tear over the years, and/or poor conditioning to properly play in this fast tempo system. Every champion I’ve ever witnessed played better as the season progressed. When your game starts to taper off towards the end then you’re not the caliber of player that will get a team a chip. He may be a solid contributor but definitely not the go to man…especially when your ball handling skills and defense is suspect. I’m wondering if he is passing his prime, or does he need to be in better basketball shape. Maybe that’s why Phoenix let him go. I always saw the Knicks grabbing him as a desperation move because they failed to get Lebron and used Stat as bait to lore other superstars to the team…not once have I seen him as the franchise,nfw. Some fans might think so, but I think that frame of thinking comes from the lack of good basketball being played at the Garden for the last decade. So it’s understandable for diehard fans to be overly optimistic.

    Until I see him do the very things that champions do to get the bling…I’ll label him as a talented player who doesn’t (yet) have what it takes to be a champion. When you’re tagged one of the best or captain of a team you are suppose to conduct private games, film sessions, and meetings with team mates….especially when there is much time on your hands (like now). However, that might not happen if the season will be canceled. That’s the only reason why I see him not taking the opportunity to gel a bit more serious. Everything else he is doing off the court is not my concern. There are other people I like and respect more for their genuine taste in style, music, etc…

    Being that he only played one year here and the fact that he's playing on a new team under a weak coach...I can give him a pass on his failures here. As far as being that dude, that champ...he needs to start acting like one and let his game do the talking...a half season of good ballin is not going to cut it.
    ......but the Knicks small-lineup and small-rotation had everyone
    guessing throughout the season....is Amare the Knicks PF or center?

    Dantoni SSOL Dantoni SSOL
    Run run small-rotation SSOL run run small-rotation SSOL

    That run run run type of coaching with no-halfcourt-setting for 40 minutes
    a night in a 82 game season (season after season) would cause season-injuries
    to the NBA top-15 PF in the past 2-decades.

    Coach Gentry used a halfcourt/transition game with 4 bigmen (C/PF) in
    the rotation so Amare & Nash could carry the Suns to the WCF.

  9. #24
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,955
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    If the 2011-12 season start in late November.....and the Knicks performance
    is the same as it was at the end of lastseason. I will be looking towards
    "Amare" summer/fall PR team-workout cancelation as the #1 reason why
    teammates dont co-exist.

    We will be depending more on Billups & Woodson for the co-exisitence
    of players in a 9-man rotation when the season get underway.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: Jul 12, 2010, 15:04
  2. Knicks Pre-Draft Workouts
    By NYCsBabiGurl in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: Jun 06, 2010, 12:40
  3. Replies: 29
    Last Post: Jun 05, 2008, 15:05
  4. Knick offseason workouts
    By Trin_Starr in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: Aug 23, 2007, 20:09
  5. Summer Workouts
    By NYKnicks15 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Jun 01, 2006, 16:22

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •