First Look At Shump In O&B

finestrg

Rotation player
Nice with the dunks...Marshon Brooks was my guy in this draft coming in but I now KNOW we made the right decision with Shump. I realize that now 100%..Check out this video of Iman:

http://www.whosay.com/imanshumpert/videos/85613

Taking his training super serious...Very impressive. This kid's got all the making of becoming a real good one..Crazy good work ethic..Looks like a steal at 17..I can't wait to see him play! NO DAYS OFF!!! SHUMP SHUMP'S GETTIN' READY, MAN!!!!!

Kiyaman

Legend
Shumpert earns another point

Keneth Faried was my 6th man to backup Amare & Melo.....but we
been needing a SG since Allan Houston.

Shumpert got hops....but we need Shumpert to have the same talents as
Terrence Williams....high team IQ, creative passing skills off the dribble,
while creating stops on the defensive end of the court as a combo-guard.
:thumbsup: So far I have to go with Billups in noticing star potential in Shumpert.

New New York

Quiet Storm
ummmm.....where was this?

who hosted it?

and How did Shump get a full NBA Jersey during the lockout?

All my questions aside, my Boy is sick nice!!!!

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
Keneth Faried was my 6th man to backup Amare & Melo.....but we
been needing a SG since Allan Houston.

Shumpert got hops....but we need Shumpert to have the same talents as
Terrence Williams....high team IQ, creative passing skills off the dribble,
while creating stops on the defensive end of the court as a combo-guard.
:thumbsup: So far I have to go with Billups in noticing star potential in Shumpert.

I'm right there with you. These highlight vidz are nice and all and I do love this pick but if someone could get their hands on an actual full pick-up game where we can see how he reads the game that would be great.

New New York

Quiet Storm
I'm right there with you. These highlight vidz are nice and all and I do love this pick but if someone could get their hands on an actual full pick-up game where we can see how he reads the game that would be great.

Great point....with that said if you look at college video of this kid you will see he knows the game well.

He flirted with a quad. double in college and that takes knowing all aspects of the game

Plus the thing I like love about this kid is that he can tell you why he struggled at times in college, in his own words he said he tried to "do too much" and played out of his skill set, again in his words he said playing with Stat,Melo and Chauncy he will be able to just play within himself. Yet again in his own words "he wants to impact the game in other ways other than than scoring the ball"....very mature attitude for a rookie!

Now will we see rookie mistakes? for sure, we saw them from Feilds last year and every other rookie yet he has the IQ. and athleticism to be a nice player for years to come

Did we hit the jack pot and land the best player in the whole draft...not likely, but we landed a very solid player and probably goes down with Wilson Chandler and David Lee as one of our best draft picks in recent years.

Imagine if we landed Larry Hughes in his prime and this is what I think we got w/ Shump and unlike Hughes I think Shump is a lot more coachable and Hughes never had the athleticism Shump possesses.

Truthfully this video shows me nothing we have not seen before from Shump....what is telling is his interviews and that of his peers about him!

MSGhobo247

Rotation player

Crunch time...

Good call New New... I was hoping for something a little more up to date to see what he has worked on since but this will do for now.

Last edited:

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
It took me a while to realize 5 was the best you can get. I was thinking man this crowd is harsh thinking 10 was the best you can get.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Shumpert

I really like Shumpert. I think that there is a chance that he will be very special. I have seen videos of several of his interviews and he is extremely intelligent. He will soak up whatever Billups can teach him. This is surely premature, but perhaps we already have the makings of a big three.

I really like Shumpert. I think that there is a chance that he will be very special. I have seen videos of several of his interviews and he is extremely intelligent. He will soak up whatever Billups can teach him. This is surely premature, but perhaps we already have the makings of a big three.

Bump my Iman Shumpert Steal of the draft thread please

I called this guy the moment he was drafted and people thought i was a fool

as A tarheels fan I watched alot of his ACC games and followed him, and his game fits the NBA more than college; he is athletically gifted, but needs to use those tools to be successful, which in the NBA will help him flourish, while in college it was as if Tech's roster was unable to match his speed, and he found himself in no mans land quite often, similar to Melo with the knicks after amare and billups were injured against the celtics during the playoffs, he could only do so much, but couldnt win it alone.

finestrg

Rotation player
His athleticism and swag really remind me of a young D-Wade. Obviously he's no D-Wade, but this kid could become a serious player!

And how boy...That's exactly who he reminds me of too, but like I said in the past, I don't wanna get too crazy and set the bar that high right away. It wouldn't be fair to the kid...Honestly, I can definitely see a lot of these other comparisons being tossed around as well: A young Larry Hughes; a far more athletic Jamal Crawford; a dash of Derek Harper; some Penny Hardaway; some Tyreke Evans; a bigger 6'5"+ version of Kyle Lowry, etc...Let's all understand one important thing: he doesn't have to turn into D-Wade for this to be a good pick...Sure I'd prefer he turn out to be the next Wade but I'd gladly sign up for a replica of any of these other guys as well..Having said that, yeah, there are definitely some similarities to D-Wade..No question about it -- they're as plain as day. I discussed this weeks ago on prior Shumpert threads..We'll have to see how he develops but as of right now, all the signs (the work ethic, his character, the off-the-charts althleticism, his ability to both handle/orchestrate AND play off the ball, his defense, etc.) point toward sky's-the-limit type potential if you ask me..

I love the clip MSGhobo247 gave us btw...Thanks for sharing that one bro..Out of all the training & college highlight clips out there, this might be the most impressive, just in more subtle, team-oriented ways...Right from the opening 2 mins or so of that clip, the one thing that stood out to me was Iman's floor general/lead guard capability..You see Shump bringing the ball up, showing an excellent handle & orchestrating the offense confidently, directing traffic and being vocal----I love the one play where he had the ball up top at the end of the shotclock with the crowd screaming the countdown--5, 4, 3, 2--and instead of forcing it, he showed optimum patience and with his court vision/awareness, he hit Derrick Favors with a PERFECT pass when he sprang free & rolled to the basket down the middle (I think Favors blew the finish at the rim but the execution on the pass, esp. at that time in the shotclock, was AWESOME---the play was all Shumpert---he showed the necessary patience, waiting for that play to finally develop and never gave up on it); earlier he had at least two other great bullet, on-the-money passes to teammates underneath that were pure perfection.. Yeah, there were a couple of mistakes in there (he had one pull-up J blocked from behind and he lost the ball in the backcourt that lead to a Blue Devil dunk--if you watched carefully, this wasn't even his fault actually--Mufon Udofia had the ball & backtracked instead of forging ahead and handed Shump the ball in an impossible situation 5-8 feet from his own basket--Shump immediately got trapped and coughed it up) but there were many, many more good signs than bad to get excited about. Maybe it's me, but the stuff he showed in this clip gets me excited FAR MORE than any of his dunk highlights, impressive as those may be...I mean there were MAJOR budding PG abilities on full display in the last 6 mins of this game. And how 'bout that ever-present athletic ability, esp. on the backboard?? Keeping balls alive, tipping balls out of Duke players' hands and into his own teammates if he couldn't corral it himself, etc..Very impressive video, esp. considering the competition he was going up against. Young fella had a ton to do with that huge Yellow Jacket victory. A TON.

Last edited:

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
The idea of this kid becoming the next Wade just made me jizz in my pants.

Frankly I'd be OK with him becoming the next Tony Allen, let alone Dwyane Wade. I think he's a good addition to have on his team. AT WORST the kid is an amazing lockdown defender who can harass the hell out of that bitch Rondo. AT BEST he might become a huge superstar. We'll have to see - you never know with these guys.

Nobody thought Darren Collison or Omri Casspi would be good players while Jonny Flynn and Jordan Hill would bust, it just kinda goes like that. The good thing about Shumpert is that he has the athleticism to succeed. IMO athleticism is the biggest factor in determining whether or not a player can succeed in the NBA - it takes ATHLETES, not simply SHOOTERS or PASSERS, to succeed in the NBA, and I think Shumpert's got the athleticism down.

The best thing about this kid is that he's smart, humble, a hard worker, and willing to learn. He's the exact opposite of Nate Robinson in that regard. Nate was too full of himself, arrogant, and never seemed to work on his PG skills because he was too damn excited about winning slam dunk contests.

Speaking of Dunk contests, Shumpert could make his name known in one or two. Same with Bill Walker if we keep him. I think it's pretty much safe to say at this point that the scouts have underrated Shumpert's athleticism BIG TIME.

th3realicon

Rotation player
We always hype Knicks picks at the beginning of the season. I will believe the hype only if he when i see it.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
2 things;

1. WE GOT OURSELVES A BALLER! dudes the steal of the draft no doubt and i really think he's gonna be a valuable piece to our puzzle. gonna help us to the Chip and definitely could see him as a 6th man like the jet or a borderline allstar talent like that of a rip or so.

2. The jersey is fire!!! once the lockouts through and that number is official definitely copping that jersey.

p.s dudes my early favorite to take the dunk contest( if there is one )

knicksince 93

Rotation player
how did shump fall to 17? looking at the draft class as of right now there is only one clear cut player better then him and thats irving. k leanord and shump are on the same level as of today. and i think will take a major step from year 2 to year 3 especially with an official offseason.

Kiyaman

Legend
how did shump fall to 17? looking at the draft class as of right now there is only one clear cut player better then him and thats irving. k leanord and shump are on the same level as of today. and i think will take a major step from year 2 to year 3 especially with an official offseason.

I like Shump, he's a Keeper, but ......

Our 17th picks was suppose to be Kenneth Faried, and we were suppose to buy a 2nd round pick to select Isiiah Thomas .. these 2 players were in that draft-class, plus their skills/talent/and IQ are way above Shump (then & now).

knicksince 93

Rotation player
I like Shump, he's a Keeper, but ......

Our 17th picks was suppose to be Kenneth Faried, and we were suppose to buy a 2nd round pick to select Isiiah Thomas .. these 2 players were in that draft-class, plus their skills/talent/and IQ are way above Shump (then & now).

I like shump over faried.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2