To All the Naysayers...

LJ4ptplay

Starter
BTW, the Heat salary for 2010 was $66,735,985 while the cap is $58.044 million. They were under the cap prior to the off season beginning so they had to have exceptions available to go over the cap by nearly 10mil. No?

http://shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/heat.jsp

Edit unless they had nearly 10mil in Vet minimums. IDK...

They only had Mario Chalmers on the roster when free agency began. They spent $55 mil in free agency on Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Miller, Haslem and Anthony, (and the remaining space on Arroyo and other minimum deals) eating up their cap space. The rest was given to minimum vets (7 in total - Bibby, Dampier, House, Howard, Ziggy, JOnes and Magloire). As I stated, teams are allowed to give as many min vet deals as they want going over the cap as high as they want. I believe the max mn vet deal is around $1.5 mil, but I would have to look that up. The cap does not restrain min vet deals. The MLE was not available to them because they renounced it, as did the Knicks.

* Edit - The min vet rule is under the old CBA. I'm not sure if it has changed under the new CBA.

Last edited:

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Who are the big free agents past 2012? I don't want us to wait for a big move that long, but we don't know what we'll get in the next one or two seasons.

You guys need to chill out, we'd definitely have to trade Amar'e and 2 role players to get Howard.

I think D-Will can be had for nothing really, he won't sign a new contract for the Nets, I mean it's the Nets.....

CP3 can be had for Fields, Billup's expiring, 2 other role players and picks, while keeping Amar'e and Melo at the same time.

Conclusion: Howard in NYC won't happen! We won't give up Amar'e for him, but the Magic want a star in return. Howard will join the Lakers and Gasol plus role players and picks will go to Orlando in return.

Our best shot to get a legit top 5 player in this league and keep our 2 star players is CP3. He'd fill a need at PG and at the same time make us so much better, especially STAT, he'd get as many dunks and layups he got with Nash in Phoenix, because CP3 can actually run the pick and roll, opposed to Felton, Douglas, Billups......who turned STAT into an 18 feet jump shooter and iso player.

Williams is a great defender and tough as it gets, but he'd be the third option only in terms of skills and talent out of those 3. Still, if we can get him for nothing or almost nothing, I'd say sign him.

I said it before and I'll say it again, we need to give 120% to get CP3. Howard is Laker bound and Williams is not as good as Paul. Chris is the guy who can get us over the hump and who cares if we lose a past it Billups, a soft Fields, an undersized combo guard in Douglas and some meaningless first round picks for the greatest point guard in the game?

nuckles2k2

Superstar
You guys need to chill out, we'd definitely have to trade Amar'e and 2 role players to get Howard.

I think D-Will can be had for nothing really, he won't sign a new contract for the Nets, I mean it's the Nets.....

CP3 can be had for Fields, Billup's expiring, 2 other role players and picks, while keeping Amar'e and Melo at the same time.

Conclusion: Howard in NYC won't happen! We won't give up Amar'e for him, but the Magic want a star in return. Howard will join the Lakers and Gasol plus role players and picks will go to Orlando in return.

Our best shot to get a legit top 5 player in this league and keep our 2 star players is CP3. He'd fill a need at PG and at the same time make us so much better, especially STAT, he'd get as many dunks and layups he got with Nash in Phoenix, because CP3 can actually run the pick and roll, opposed to Felton, Douglas, Billups......who turned STAT into an 18 feet jump shooter and iso player.

Williams is a great defender and tough as it gets, but he'd be the third option only in terms of skills and talent out of those 3. Still, if we can get him for nothing or almost nothing, I'd say sign him.

I said it before and I'll say it again, we need to give 120% to get CP3. Howard is Laker bound and Williams is not as good as Paul. Chris is the guy who can get us over the hump and who cares if we lose a past it Billups, a soft Fields, an undersized combo guard in Douglas and some meaningless first round picks for the greatest point guard in the game?

I could see your Howard scenario playing out, but I could also see him looking at STAT & Melo as a better situation than a year or two with Kobe, and then being in rebuilding mode.

The point about picks is a decent one, but let's not act like Orlando has much leverage in this situation. Denver had the CBA leverage over Melo, and Melo still got everything he wanted. For Orlando, NO, and NJ, it's literally "trade me where I wanna go, or I'm out" and it's not nearly half the bluff that Melo was laying out there, cause we know he would have gone to NJ if the trade here didn't work out. Dwight, Chris, and Deron have no reason under the sun to give in and sign an extension to go somewhere they don't want to play. Even the extra year with the Bird Rights (if it still exists) is a moot point, because, as we saw with LBJ and Christina Bosh, the FA move can be worked into a S&T for some trade exemptions and a pick, giving the player his extra year.

So there's no incentive or pressure for any of these dudes to sign where they don't wanna sign. If Orlando says "Amar'e, Shumpert, Billups, etc" and we say "Dwights gonna walk, we'll wait" and they go back to Dwight and he shoots down trades elsewhere because he wants to play here, guess what happens?

This kinda reminds me of last year when in late Sept. and early-mid Oct. I kept saying on these boards "we'll only get Melo if he blocks other trades and the Knicks are the only team left to get a deal done with." Everyone debated better deals, etc. And in Feb. of this year it's down to the Nets and the Knicks, and the Nets pull out...and we get the dude.

It'll be the same thing this season, except less drawn out cause it's gonna be a rat race to get your compensation for your superstar if you have even less leverage than Denver did.

Kiyaman

Legend
u guys are not given owner James Dolan the credit he deserve....nor did alot
of u guys understand Dolans comment of signing FA to one year contracts
this past June. However, the owners in this CBA negotiation seen James
Dolan future power-plan, when Dolan made GM Donnie Walsh sit on the side
to watch how power-moves are made for big market franchise "present &
future" on the final day of the 2011 trade deadline. Outstanding!

Dolan (personally) cleared the Knicks cap for the offseason of the 2012 star
FA market (Deron/CP3/D.Howard) in his one-deal to bring Melo & Billups to
New York. It does not matter how the CBA negotiation turn out it will not
effect Knicks owner Dolan plan to sign one or two star FA with $16M (or more)
in the 2012 offseason. Sterns foolish cry in the CBA negotiation of wanting
to have a system where all 30 teams have a chance to compete for the
Finals....is a joke in the EASTERN conference the next 5 seasons
when competing with star-form teams Miami, Chicago, Boston, and the Knicks.

A note for Walsh & Dantoni fans....
Dolan got tired of Donnie Walsh small-market tactics of tanking two seasons
to spend a $100M on one player not named Lebron James, and then trade a
big New York fan-favorite David Lee for 3 useless contracts that was way
above Lee's asking price. And fans wondered why Dolan wanted GM Isiah
back the following week after the David Lee sign and trade.

For those of u who still do not understand the job given to "Walsh & Dantoni"
three years ago, and still believe the two inhereted a 15 man roster of
untradeable and uncoachable players need to wake-up.
Walsh had 3 draft nights (2008-9-10) to do the only job he was hired to do,
that was to trade Curry/Zach/Crawford/and Jefferies before July 1st 2010.
Dantoni was given 2 seasons to make Curry/Zach/Crawford/and Jefferies
performance tradeable within those two seasons to complete the job he
was hired for.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Does it matter which of the star FA players sign with the Knicks?

Little bit.

With CP3 or Deron, we become extremely good, annual deep playoff runs with championship aspirations. A perennial contender with people all over the nation either hopping on the bandwagon, or loving to hate us cause we're stacked and ready to attack.

With Dwight, they change the name of the league to the National Knicks Association and we seriously threaten the '96 Bulls record of 72-10...more than once.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Max Salaries

Perhaps I missed it, but I have seen nothing suggesting diminishing the maximum salary under the new CBA. Under the old one, the max, at least for a player with I believe 6 years in the NBA, the max was 30% of the salary cap. If that remains the case, it will be difficult to sign CP3 and not get into serious luxury tax problems almost immediately. Three stars at or close to the max leaves no room for anyone other than minimum salaried players.

I understood that the proposed cap under the new CBA was going to be something in the neighborhood of $60M. In two or three years, Amare and Melo will be earning almost $47M together. It looks like the owners intend to limit teams to two max stars.

Kiyaman

Legend
Im still confused on Miller & Brewer salary

I'm not sure what you are saying. I assume you are referring to veteran's minimum exceptions and after free agency has ended (i.e. 2013 free agency). A team that is under the cap during free agency cannot exceed the cap. That's the point of a cap. A team cannot spend all of its cap space and then use the MLE to add other players during the same free agent period. That team would have to wait until the following year's free agency period to use the MLE.

u are right on both threads.....somehow things were changed around
when owner Gilbert started acting the fool and crying all over the place.
I dont know how it was really structured but Stern had the Knicks give
something to Phoenix for Amare, Miami give something to Toronto/Cleveland
for Bosh/Lebron, and Chicago give something to Utah for Boozer in some
strange way of making it into a sign and trade....confusing fans on Mike
Miller and Ronnie Brewers contracts.

KBlack25

Starter
u are right on both threads.....somehow things were changed around
when owner Gilbert started acting the fool and crying all over the place.
I dont know how it was really structured but Stern had the Knicks give
something to Phoenix for Amare, Miami give something to Toronto/Cleveland
for Bosh/Lebron, and Chicago give something to Utah for Boozer in some
strange way of making it into a sign and trade....confusing fans on Mike
Miller and Ronnie Brewers contracts.

I don't know if it was Stern in particular who did it - I think the thing was that Cleveland/Toronto elected to do a sign-and-trade so that LBJ/Bosh could get more years, or an earlier opt-out or something and CLE/TOR wouldn't just lose their two guys for nothing.