Chauncy to sit out season

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
Look at this limp dick imposter.

Billups ready to sit out season

By Mark J. Miller

It remains extremely unclear what will happen with the NBA lockout as the players try to figure out whether the current offer is good enough for them or not. One player who knows how he feels on it, though, is New York Knicks point guard Chauncey Billups(notes). Billups is scheduled to make $14.3 million this season but he's willing to sacrifice that if the players can eventually come up with something that he thinks is a fair collective bargaining agreement, according to ESPN.
"For the betterment of the league going forward, that's just something that I'm going to have to sacrifice and that's the position I'm going to have to take," Billups said on ESPN New York 1050.
Tell that to your teammate Andy Rautins(notes), Chauncey. ESPN reports that the 25-year-old is staying with his parents outside of Syracuse to save his money during the lockout. "It's nice to get some home cooked meals up here," Rautins told ESPN. "It's nice because it's a rare opportunity to spend time with family and friends. Normally, you'd been in a busy season by this time. But I've been trying to see the positives in [staying home] and there's a bunch so far. It's saving me a lot of money right now and I think that's a big concern for a lot of players."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/...t=AvGlgYpM2qM4fuh4MwL5YB.8vLYF?urn=nba-411842

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Lets see anyone on these forums go to work tomorrow and have their employer say "we wanna cut your salary and benefits because the hired workers are taking a bit too much of the revenue pie...we want some of it back." If there's a union representing the workers...let's see how they react too.

Hint: 2005 MTA Strike.

It's easy to be mad at a statement like that, cause folks see how much the players make, plus they wanna see games being played. But if you take out all of the personal feelings and objectively look at the involved pieces: Employers, Employed, Union collectively representing the employed, it's really not all that different from any other person who works for their employer and is a part of a union...the numbers are just higher, and it's more of a national story.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Don't see anything wrong here. Are you saying the players should just give in to the owners? Billups isn't the only player who would be willing to sit the season out. I understand there are low key min wage players such as Rautins who get affected by this but the new CBA will have an impact on everyone, especially the mid to low tier players.

I don't get the imposter thing.

Kiyaman

Legend
Billups team leadership is worth every penny of $14.3M

No matter what anyone else may think or believe....Chauncy Billups is the MAN....
the best player the Knicks have on the roster. Not taking anything away from
any other Knicks players on the roster its just none has all the skills, talents,
experience, and tools that Billups brings to the Knicks.

Having Billups on the roster gives u great optimistic promise of draft pick
Iman Shumpert, plus the thought of Billups player/coach/leadership helping
our last two draft picks Fields & TD define their performance to compliment
Amare & Melo has every Knicks fans upset/angry at the 2011-12 NBA season
not starting on time to give us a training camp with 82 games.

Reminder....1998 draft night the Knicks traded Oakley for Camby, and
Starks for Sprewell, to have a long CBA lock-out offseason that lead to
a 50 game regular season in 1998-99.
:smokin: :gony: :smokin:

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
@nuckles: look at it from another perspective, the current trend is that the BRI increases approximately $170-185M after each season, if both sides agree on the 50/50 split the players will earn more than they do now just after the 2012/13 season. And the players will take their 50% sooner or later, they're not going to get 52%, 51% or 50,00001%, but they can still get 47% or even less if more games get canceled. They did not win in 1999 and they're not going to win now, sad but true.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
@nuckles: look at it from another perspective, the current trend is that the BRI increases approximately $170-185M after each season, if both sides agree on the 50/50 split the players will earn more than they do now just after the 2012/13 season. And the players will take their 50% sooner or later, they're not going to get 52%, 51% or 50,00001%, but they can still get 47% or even less if more games get canceled. They did not win in 1999 and they're not going to win now, sad but true.

I agree that they need to take the 50/50 split, from a fan and realist perspective. My seaon tix are paid for, I'm ready for some games...and the offer isn't going to get better as more games are "lost." So someone needs to sit Hunter down and explain that this stand is futile at best and is doing more damage than good.

But that doesn't explain why people seem to be upset at the players for looking at their employers like "you wanna do what now?!?!" when we all know that we wouldn't be happy in that situation either. No one wants to see their employers take money back from them and their co-workers, just because they asked them to. The amount of money being made doesn't matter, the employed are gonna fight for their money. It's just that at some point, you gotta know when it's a losing effort.

Plus if there's any truth to the accusation that some owners own one company, that owns another company, that owns the arena they play in...they're paying rent to a subsidiary that they actually own, but look at it as an operating expense, or overhead, that they take out of the BRI calculations when they cry poverty in the league. If there's even a hint of truth in there....that's seriously ****ed up. That's literally paying money to yourself, and then saying you don't make enough money.

There's a lot of factors to this whole labor thing; so, it's insanely ignorant, to call Chauncey and impostor for making the comment he made.

finestrg

Rotation player
Don't see anything wrong here. Are you saying the players should just give in to the owners? Billups isn't the only player who would be willing to sit the season out. I understand there are low key min wage players such as Rautins who get affected by this but the new CBA will have an impact on everyone, especially the mid to low tier players.

I don't get the imposter thing.

Yeah, me neither man..I mean am I missing something here?? I look at where Chauncey's coming from as incredibly selfless, unselfish...Take a real close look at what the man's trying to say here: Chauncey is (was) set to make $14.2M bucks this season, the most he's ever made in any one season in the NBA..At 36-years-old, he'll never see a payday like that again in his life..You don't think he wanted this season to start on time to collect every last dime of that entire sum?? Of course he did, yet for the good of the league's future, he's willing to stand tall with his union and sit out games, perhaps the entire season, forfeiting his entire substantial salary if need be for the greater good.. The man's talking about winning the war here, not the battle. It's all about fighting for the best LONG-TERM contract the players can possibly get..By doing so, he and a lot of other vets set to make top money for perhaps the last time in their careers, are actually fighting FOR the younger guys at this point, not themselves..They're fighting to get the best long-term contract FOR the Andy Rautins, the Landry Fields, the Iman Shumperts...It's their league now, not Chauncey's anymore... It's really a poorly-written, irrelevant little article that does nothing but confuse ideas and Chauncey's entire motivation/point of view -- it isn't reality and tries to paint the wrong picture, one of Chauncey vs. Rautins..I think the whole "tell that to your teammate Andy Rautins" statement is rediculous, making Billups out to be some selfish vet player, meanwhile nothing could be further from the truth. That's how I see it anyway..

Jeez, I clicked on this thread thinking Chauncey got hurt or something..LOL. Thank God that's not the case. We're gonna need him this year driving our bus whenever this thing starts.. I have no problem with where Billups is coming from here and neither should Andy Rautins.

Last edited:

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Rautins is at home because it's an NBA lockout.

If the owners get their way, Rautins will have to live in the middle of Bedford-Stuyvesant and commute to the Garden by Subway.

LOL.

Looks like something one of the owners would write by trying to trick the people into hating on an honorable suggestion made by an well informed experience NBA player. People are struggling all over. Why does this writer think "Andy" or any other player is in a very bad situtation? I don't see anyone of these dudes eating out of trashcans or sleeping on the streets.
They still have a bright future ahead of them reguardless of when the BBall season starts.

I suspect the owners are panicking more than the players because this is just some wack as propaganda, might even be signs of desperation...

nyk_nyk

All Star
Here is a more accurate article on what Chauncey was really trying to convey.
Mark J. Miller can eat a d*ck!
Knicks' Billups says veterans willing to sacrifice season

12:53 PM, November 3, 2011 ι POST STAFF REPORT

Knicks guard Chauncey Billups has 14 million reasons for the NBA season to start. He says he's willing to give them all up.
Billups told ESPN Radio he would endure the NBA lockout in order to ensure a fair collective bargaining agreement, even if that means sacrificing the entire season and his $14 million salary.
"I could see a lot of players willing to do it," Billups said.
Billups, 35, is nearing the end of what has been a 15-year NBA career. He was with the Nuggets during the 1999 lockout which reduced that season to 50 games.
"I'm willing to fight with the union," Billups said. "Do I want to lose $14 million or whatever it might be? I don't want to lose a dime. My career is almost over. I want all of that. But at the same time, I was in that other lockout and I know what those older guys were willing to do for me. ... I'm in that position now and that's where I stand."
The league and the players association do not have any meetings scheduled to discuss a resolution to the lockout which has cancelled games at least through November.
The Knicks were supposed to open the season Wednesday against the Heat at Madison Square Garden.
The sides are divided on how to split reenue and structure the salary cap.