Boycott NBA!

CoolClyde

I'm all for this. It's the fan's money the billionaire owners
and millionaire players are quabbling about, and destroying
the NBA season; the fans should boycott the NBA, and hit the
owners and players where it hurts... Occupy NBA!

NBA Fans Begin Boycott Movement
Nov 03, 2011 2:22 PM EDT

As the NBA lockout continues, the blowback from fans has become a bigger issue on social media platforms such as Twitter.

Many NBA fans have talked about how they will send a message of their displeasure by not renewing their subscription to NBA League Pass.

Howard Beck of the New York Times has re-Tweeted several such edicts.

A re-imagined version of the NBA logo has also began to appear. The 'Logo' is holding a bag of money with the word 'BOYCOTT' written across the top. This logo first began appearing on October 24th on the blog IGoHardNow.com.

Ratings for Game 1 of the 2011 NBA Finals were up three percent from the previous year and up 15 percent over Game 1 of the 2006 NBA Finals, which also featured the Heat and Mavericks.

For the 10-11 regular season, games on ABC were up 38% from the previous season. TNT saw a gain of 42% and ESPN had a gain of 28% from 09-10.

This image, created by Mike Brenkus (@cre8ive_juice) has appeared as the avatar of several Twitter accounts of NBA fans:

BoycottNBALogo_2.jpg

As the NBA continues its slow, apparent death march toward a complete cancellation of the 2011-12 regular season, the fans have suffered the most. Sure, the players and owners are losing the potentialto make billions of dollars, but it’s the fans who are losing big.

The two sides of the labor negotiations are basically bickering over thefan’s money. The fans are funding this entire debacle. No matter what the basketball related income split ends up being, this is all about who gets their dirty paws on as much fan money as possible. As a fan, all we want to do is spend that money and enjoy a product that gives us an escape from our meaningless drone-like lives.

Don’t the fans really hold the keys to these negotiations? Without the current volume of the NBA fan money, does 57 percent, 53 percent or 47 percent really matter that much?

What I GO HARD NOW proposes: NBA fans should start boycotting every corporate sponsor associated with the NBA.
It’s fair to assume that ticket sales and TV ratings will take a hit once the lockout ends, so that’s not really part of this boycott. This is hitting thesponsors that the NBA (and players) depends on so much for revenue right now. If you have done recent business with the NBA, we want to tell you that was not money well spent because you are doing business with a bunch of jerks. As consumers, we want you (the companies) to threaten to end partnerships if this doesn’t end.

If you want to stop the lockout, start taking away the money the owners and players want to split.
Here are some ideas of things you can boycott:
• NBA corporate sponsors – These include companies/brands like Kia, Haier, State Farm, Dial soaps (particularly their deodorants), Taco Bell, McDonalds, Sprite (and the Coke family of products), T-Mobile and Bacardi.

• Companies that sponsor NBA players – Nike, Reebok and Adidas are the big ones here. But seriously, anything that has an NBA player’s face, don’t buy it.

• Companies owned by NBA owners – This is a no brainer. Don’t shop with these guys. Don't take a cruise on Carnival or get your loan through Quicken.
I GO HARD NOW is compiling a list of companiesthat you shouldn’t be doing business with so stay tuned. We will be updating this list as suggestions/names of companies come in.

If you have additions to the list, email us at [email protected] and we will get it added.

Another important part of this is emailing us with your stories of actually following through with the boycott and why you are doing it. We will post these messages on the blog and hopefully this will get people’s attention.
In addition, use the hashtag #BoycottNBA on twitter and request a Boycott NBA twitter icon from us (just drop us an email at [email protected].
Regardless of everything we have stated here: we know this is difficult. These are giant, mufti-national companies that have spent billions upon billions of dollars to get people to be loyal to their product. We are asking that you walk away from that loyalty until this insanity ends.

The monetary impact of this boycott will most likely not be noticeable, but there is an off chance that this could catch on and really make a difference. Try it. Write to us. Make your voice heard.
Why? Because anything the fans can do is better than the hell we are currently being put through."

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Boycotts never really work. They're a good gesture and can catch on with the media, they might get a public relations politically correct statement released from whoever is getting "boycotted," but the higher ups have more pressing things to worry about...like the actual reason they're getting boycotted, instead of a handful of entitled folks saying "I don't realize this is a business...I'M MAD."

It's a labor issue between employers and employees. The employers are swearing that they're losing money and the employees are asserting that they're "cooking the books" to a certain extent (just legally hiding money from the players, nothing illegal as far as I know). It's no different from any other union negotiating for the collective mass of workers, the figures are just different. Don't be selfish and short sighted and say "weyyyllll since they ARE millionaires..." Like I said time and time again....go to work this morning and have your employers say "you know....you guys make way more money than we want you to make...we're taking some back, and you can't come to work until you agree with us" let's see how these people that wanna "boycott" the NBA feel.

Sure it's our money that allows these dudes to be rich out the wazoo....but when isn't that the case? lol. Wasn't the 2005 MTA Strike the workers going on strike for better benefits and monetary security? Should tax payers have said "go back to work mother ****ers...I'M PAYING THE BILLS AROUND THIS PIECE!!!?" Cause that was our money that they wanted a larger chunk of.

I understand the frustration...but a boycott because employers are trying to "F" their employees in the "A", simply because they feel they can? And employees banding together to say "now wait just a god damn minute."

This is just a mad (and rightfully so) NBA fan(s) who feels hurt that there's no basketball, and we all feel that disappointment. But I see McDonalds on that list of establishments that need to be "boycotted" because of their relationship with the NBA....now...come on....really? Are people gonna cancel their Cablevision subs. because Dolan owns it? Am I gonna stop watching Breaking Bad, The Killing, and The Walking Dead because Dolan owns Cablevision, CV owns Rainbow Media Inc, and RMI owns AMC? Not a ****ing chance.

If people wanna see a real money grab then check out what just went down between FOX and DirecTV. That had nothing to do with employers and employees, that was a company saying we need more money for the rights to our networks....because. we. want. more.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
As nuckles said, boycotts never really work, people involved in this boycott against the NBA would be the first to buy game tickets or renew/purchase their LP when the season finally starts.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
im all for the boycott. as an added message to the league we as NBA fans should all NOT watch the first game of the season. sure thats asking a lot cause were all aching for basketball but the message that would be sent would surely make the league think twice about lockouts and letting negotiations reach this phase again. At the end of the day, owners and players alike, no matter the shape of the new CBA will get their money. And a lot of it at that. So frankly the only real losers of this here lockout is us the fans so as a sign of displeasure we should all not purchase league pass and not watch the first day of the season.

just my :2cents:

nuckles2k2

Superstar
im all for the boycott. as an added message to the league we as NBA fans should all NOT watch the first game of the season. sure thats asking a lot cause were all aching for basketball but the message that would be sent would surely make the league think twice about lockouts and letting negotiations reach this phase again. At the end of the day, owners and players alike, no matter the shape of the new CBA will get their money. And a lot of it at that. So frankly the only real losers of this here lockout is us the fans so as a sign of displeasure we should all not purchase league pass and not watch the first day of the season.

just my :2cents:

all = the entire world, not just the Knicks forums.

Good luck with that.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
The amount of money shouldn't cloud your judgement. It's still employers trying to strong arm employees into accepting their demands...remember, this isn't a players' strike. The players were locked out by their employers because the union didn't accept their demands.

Kemba, Kyrie, and Iman got drafted and told to go home because those that came before them chose not to throw them under the bus for the sake "me, me, me, me, me." How is that different from you getting a job at [insert job here] in 2011, when the CBA between your union and the corporation is up, and the fat cats up top propose a new CBA that stipulates you get no benefits...at all, no medical, no dental, no paid vacation, no company car, no nothing. But you being the frsh faced kid out of college have no say in the matter, but the dudes who have been there for 20+ years, on the brink of retirement, say "yea, ok, whatever, lets get it done" who does the deal effect....them or you? Now let's say those dudes aren't straight assholes and say "that's not quite right, we'll make some concessions...but not quite to that level" and then the corporation says "oh, yea? go the **** home then.

Kinda what's going on in the NBA just super simplified. It's a business. We're not entitled to NBA games to the detriment of the players. Yes they make more money than the average man, but the right to negotiate fair market value salaries is the same as any other man or woman in this country. It's our fault that those market value on the salaries are astronomically high...because we love the sport to death. But don't confuse that with the selfish viewpoint of "I want to see NBA games, and I'M mad right now because you aren't doing what I want you to do."

I just don't understand what Hunter and Fisher are doing right now, because they have to know that they've done all they can at this point. Might have something to do with a pocket of players wanting to decertify to sue the league to get back to work (like what the NFL players did, until the ruling was overturned.) We all know 50-50 is the best offer on the table, and now Jordan's people wanna reduce it to 47%....I mean...Hunter and Derek need to stop grandstanding and take the 50-50.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
COOL C! The Black Fist of KO.com.

Power to the people!

I'd love for a complete boycott. Even a sacrifice would suffice and be nice.

But, as others say, it's just too grand a scale to pack enough of a sting.

If we were to hire a Hitman to shoot Kevin Garknee's feet off, I would be content. Not that that has anything to do with anything.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Crazy⑧s;186584 said:
COOL C! The Black Fist of KO.com.

Power to the people!

I'd love for a complete boycott. Even a sacrifice would suffice and be nice.

But, as others say, it's just too grand a scale to pack enough of a sting.

If we were to hire a Hitman to shoot Kevin Garknee's feet off, I would be content. Not that that has anything to do with anything.

It has everything to do with everything.

mafra

Legend
Ultimately, sports is just entertainment for me in my life. It provides an escape, it gives me some excitement, & watching the NBA is something I enjoy doing.

I refuse to give the owners/players power over my mood.

I will not make following the sport to become a labor, to be work, to get me annoyed... to bring me down. I use it, I will not allow them to use me.

I laugh when I read about polls that state that people do not care about the lockout. If a tree falls in the forrest... You know. Both sides are so clueless that they do not even sense what's happening around the good old USofA.

There are real struggles, significant problem, issues way beyong the NBA that most people are dealing with. AND, when the people of America need the NBA the most... this is how they respond? Now, more than ever, we need a distraction... Something to give us a pep-to-our-step when we wake up at 5a... And they spit at us, and choose to battle over who gets to have more fingers in my wallet?

1) David Stern has been TERRIBLE. He has ruined the sport. He is public enemy #1. We are where we are right now b/c this vapid individual has sold the soul of the game for every yen he could find.

2) The owners thought they weren't making enough money before? Well, don't ask the players to subsidize your poor management. The sport is growing more and more out of touch with its fans... It's almost unwatchable as a game right now. The season is too long, the playoffs too long, the game has grinded to a halt, the poetry is lost... I could go on & on... BUt, for some reason 2010-2011 happened and the NBA was making a comeback. You had a fantastic Finals (Mavs v Heat), NY had a team again, you had real storylines fans could get behind, and now you squash all that momentum for what exactly?

3) The players have to realize we're in a terrible economy right now. EVERYONE is taking pay cuts... Employees all around the country are seeing a reduction in wages, beenfits lost... And these clowns are asking for a pay rise? They want to be treated as equal to the owners (their employers)? Plz. If the "stars" were so concerned about the 8th, 9th & 10th man on the bench, and about the retired players, then why not sign for 80 million, instead of asking for the MX every time.

So, I would say to the fans... Don't fret. Who cares about these clowns. Don't let them bring you down. When/IF BBALL returns, we will use it again... for our enjoyment. We can boycott by not going to games, or buying any NBA-related merchandise for a full year. Just watch on TV, or listen on radio.

This is a good thing for us Knick fans anyway. Billups, Amar'e, Carmelo all need time to heal. Billups & Amar'e will be fresher for playoffs if season is of a 50-game variety (ala 1999). If the season is lost, then that screws with MIA... & knowing that Lebron-Wade-Bosh go another year w/out a title... this makes me happy. Kobe & BOS will be a year older. Another good thing.

CoolClyde

Boy Cock

you know, I can't afford to go to more than 1 Knick game per year.
2 tickets for me and the goddess = $100-$200
beverages/food = $50-$75
jersey(ies) = $35-$75
blowjob after game = priceless

I don't get League Pass. I only watch the Knicks on Cablevision, thus I am forced to put money in Jimbo D'oh-lan's pockets.

I don't think it's the fan's fault that player's salaries are so high. It's asshole know-nothing owners like D'oh-lan who started these astronomical salaries with the $100 Million contract of Allan Houston. The players and especially their agents know they can stop the season by not agreeing to terms, with decertification, and eventually suing the owners. THEN, the government will have to step in, like they should have done months ago, because David Stern is a rich pawn who sucks dicks, literally and figuratively, and can't get things done.

The players make too much money. period. f*ck them all.

"the only bright spot is our hurting players are resting..." really? very small consolation.

When baseball went on strike years ago, it put a damper on my watching the game where I barely watched any baseball at all for years, only the playoffs, and subway series. even then, i tape and fast forward every game. I was just disgusted that my favorite sport went on hiatus because of too much money being made.

Now basketball is my favorite sport, and I'm getting that same bad feeling about the game. my heart is breaking because I wanted to watch a full season with Melo/A'mare/Chauncy/Iman and co.

I'd like a list of what the NBA owners own outside of basketball, and boycott those companies. not sure what else I can boycott, other than letting others know by supporting the NBA and the owners, you're only supporting the main cause of the strike. money.

another day another rant.
what's up Crazy 8's?

p0nder

Starter
**** the NBA. players, owners, fans. all of 'em. **** it.

I play ball in a local mens league. I get to watch games, analyze plays, participate on the floor. I'm highly entertained. It serves as a distraction from the mundane everyday stresses. I'm getting exercise and enjoying networking with my team and others in the league.

As far as i'm concerned now the NBA could not come back at all. ever. And I'd still have basketball in my life. So **** the corporate bullshit and all this money grubbing shite. I'm on the edge of never coming back as a fan of the NBA. I'd probably be better served to watch the college game anyways.

So my solution to this? Leave 'em alone, find a way to keep the game in your life but don't subscribe to the NBA bullshit. Lets get back to the roots of the game. Back to the street ball you played as a kid, back to the LOVE of the GAME. Not the LOVE of the shiny logo's and over hyped "superstars", $100 jerseys and $200 shoes.

Maybe Starbury had it right and the dudes not so crazy after all. **** the NBA.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
you know, I can't afford to go to more than 1 Knick game per year.
2 tickets for me and the goddess = $100-$200
beverages/food = $50-$75
jersey(ies) = $35-$75
blowjob after game = priceless

what's up Crazy 8's?

What's up? I'm laughing myself to urination after reading your Knicks' game budget. :lol:

I think we can now write this season off, my friend. There will not be a deal by Wednesday.

Perhaps we should all defer to another sport?

Curling - just for the hot birds.
Extreme chess.
Amputee Scrabble.
Thai ping pong.

These are right at the top of my list.

Stay cool, Clyde. May the sauce be with you.

Sage

Rotation player
I've had to watch the NBL (Australian league), that's just not right.. This lockout is bullshit.

I'm resigned to the fact that there won't be a season. What NCAA teams are worth watching?