Abdur-Rahim Trade to New York Imminent

jsm0331

Benchwarmer
Looks like Isiah wants to add Shareef to the Knicks
Real GM: The Portland Trail Blazers resigning of Darius Miles created a significant problem at the two forward positions. Zach Randolph is their power forward and will be so for a very long time, leaving Shareef Abdur-Rahim, who feels most comfortable at power forward, in tweener limbo.

The Orlando Sentinel is reporting that the New York Knicks would be more than willing to take Abdur-Rahim. Abdur-Rahim has only one year left on his contract, though it is a significant $14.6 million.

Isiah Thomas would likely trade Kurt Thomas or Allan Houston in return.

And here's the article from the Orlando Sentinel.
Orlando Sentinel: If you have the salary-cap space, there is a high-scoring just-in-his-prime power forward available. When the Portland Trail Blazers signed Darius Miles last week to a six-year, $48 million deal, it meant the end of Shareef Abdur-Rahim, who was once considered a potential star.

The Blazers are going to build around Zach Randolph, and the last thing they want is an unhappy power forward behind him. Abdur-Rahim has only one year left on his contract, but it's for $14.6 million.

It sure sounds like he's headed for the New York Knicks, who are desperate to put together a team that can contend immediately.

WiL8000

Rotation player
Giving up Houston is something I couldn't support. He's the only pure shooter we have. Kurt Thomas, sure thats a plus for both teams.

Imiss#33

Benchwarmer
Giving up Houston wouldn't make sense to me...we would have an overload at the 3-4-5 and little depth at the 2
Unless there was a follow up trade...

But, I would support the trade of Kurt Thomas...would that trade work straight up? or would we need to throw in someone else?

e_D

Benchwarmer
I'm all for this trade if it's involving Kurt and not Houston. I've always liked Shareef's game and I think I can bring alot to the table in NY. Not to mention we'd be the ones finally getting an expiring contract, instead of giving ours away! I hope this deal goes down.

Hoagies99

Benchwarmer
i agree with both of u, if houston leaves this team they will be horrible from the perimeter, marbury has been a pretty inconsistent shooter recently, crawford isnt very consistent either, but kurt thomas is tradeable, because remember, shareef is a good player, but hes def not great, hes never been a winner (yes i know hes been on bad teams), he isnt a very good defender, and ive never seen him take over any games himself, l8r

jsm0331

Benchwarmer
Imiss#33 said:
I would support the trade of Kurt Thomas...would that trade work straight up? or would we need to throw in someone else?
It couldn't be a straight up deal, if it was Kurt for Shareef. Shannon Anderson would have to be thrown in to equal the contracts out.

Imiss#33

Benchwarmer
If the Knicks could throw Anderson in I would do it in a second...of course I would trade Anderson for...well....ANYTHING

This deal WILL NOT HAPPEN!!

I do not want to rain on anyone's parade, including my own but the Knick's will not be able to get Rahim. He is in the last year of a huge contract and Portland can get so much more for him than Houston or Thomas, or even both.

I have read that Seattle would be willing to give up Ray Allen in some sort of package for him for one. He is a far better player than Houston and is also in his last year of contract making it fair for both teams.

That article was written by an Orlanda media expert, LOL, who thinks the Knick's would obtain Rahim due to them alway's taking on huge contracts. What he does not realize is that since it's the last year of a huge contract, it is worth far more. He states no facts in the article, just his assumption.

I would love to see it happen, but have not seen any pigs fly over lately so don't get your hopes up...

David

Imiss#33

Benchwarmer
ok ok I haven't seen the pigs flying either...but, Ray Allen...hmmmm...how about getting him to end up in Toronto, VC to come to the Knicks...Rahim to Seattle and a whole bunch of pieces to Port...

I know I know...let the responses begin

nooo trdaing houston is the best thing that can happen 2 the knicks his contract gone and we replace him wit jamal and get shriff i think its amazing!!!

datruth

Your Best Bet is B Ez
i will trade houston for reef cause he gives us low post presence....he plays his back faving the basket....and the perimeter jumpshot will be knock down.....tim thomas could hit the perimeter jumpshot easy and crawford will hit when he is open.....if we get reef for alan i doubt kurt will stay...so i see him gone for shooter

rady

Administrator
Staff member
then we could try something lilke this:

New York trades: SF Shandon Anderson (7.9 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 1.5 apg in 24.6 minutes)
C Kurt Thomas (11.1 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 1.9 apg in 31.9 minutes)
New York receives: PF Shareef Abdur-Rahim (16.3 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 2.0 apg in 31.6 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -2.7 ppg, -3.6 rpg, and -1.4 apg.

Portland trades: PF Shareef Abdur-Rahim (16.3 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 2.0 apg in 31.6 minutes)
Portland receives: SF Shandon Anderson (7.9 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 1.5 apg in 80 games)
C Kurt Thomas (11.1 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 1.9 apg in 80 games)
Change in team outlook: +2.7 ppg, +3.6 rpg, and +1.4 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

we receive a young PF and we lose anderson's contract

nycballa91

Benchwarmer
i dont think that will work because they might not want anderson. probably cause nobody else does. second of all i think we should trade housten indstead of thomas. hes getting a lot older and he has a lot of injuries like his knees. if they dont want anderson we could give them moochie. they both stink anyway. and if housten is traded we oculd put crawford in the starting lineup.

JJtheKnick

Starter
rady said:

New York trades: SF Shandon Anderson (7.9 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 1.5 apg in 24.6 minutes)
New York receives: PF Shareef Abdur-Rahim (16.3 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 2.0 apg in 31.6 minutes)

Portland trades: PF Shareef Abdur-Rahim (16.3 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 2.0 apg in 31.6 minutes)

TRADE ACCEPTED

i love it now all we have to do is see if isiah can make it happen.

BryantDunkGiant

Benchwarmer
rady said:

TRADE ACCEPTED

Although you'd be losing some inside power with KT's departure, the Knicks would really be getting a steal in this trade, especially since Shareef played 2nd string last year and his numbers could be higher than that. I'd be guessing you guys would at least go to the conference finals in the East.

ARKATECH

Rookie
Myabe Later on in the season but not now ..... i don't see it happening. But it is a definet plus if it did happen.

T-NAK

Rookie
Hey guys,
I'm new to this website but just wanted to share my thoughts since I'm a huge Knick fan. What do u think of this trade?:
Knicks trade:
Allan Houston - $17,531,250
Kurt Thomas - $5,884,500
Total: $23,415,750
For:
Shareef - $14,625,000
Derek Anderson - $8,443,500
Total: $23,068,500

by this trade, Portland gets a solid PF who won't cry about playing time behind ZR and DM and a starting SG with a squicky clean image and leadership skills that the Blazers desperately need, and we get a PF who can put up some numbers and nice backup SG.