Should Knicks sign T. Chandler to 1yr deal?

finestrg

Rotation player
The "best" FA centers out there are (probably in this order):

1a DeAndre Jordan (restricted)
1b Marc Gasol (restricted)

Tyson Chandler
Nene (player option---I think he may have even opted out already)
Sammy Dalembert
Greg Oden (restricted)

Oden, under normal circumstances, would be at the top of this list but he's coming back off the serious knee trouble. Who knows what he can really do now. If he proves he's healthy, he'd shoot up to the top of this list w/o a doubt; if not, Portland probably won't even offer him a contract...D Jordan & Gasol are difference-makers for sure but I highly doubt their teams let them go---both the Clippers and Memphis are quietly building a couple of nice young teams....Suddenly, that list starts to shrink ---- now you're talking Chandler, Nene or Dalembert...Now you gotta figure any of these leftover three will command at least full MLE-type money..Here's my big thing with these guys: does adding one of these guys at say $5-7M a pop over how many years (depends on the new CBA agreement -- I believe a full MLE deal may only wind up lasting 3 yrs total now based on the lastest labor discussions...DeAndre Jordan & Gasol probably get more than this btw and I agree with SSj4Wingzero: Chandler, esp. coming off a championship, will get offers for more than 1 year) put us over the top and into the top echelon? And at the expense of possibly adding that 3rd star player?? Remember, the goal is to break through and win it all within the next few years, now that we have Amar'e AND Melo on board..We've knocked at the door and fallen short before, God knows...Been there, done that...I want that chip now!!

I don't know if I'm ready to go all-in yet with one of these guys and sacrifice the whole notion of adding a 3rd star (which still looks like a possibility btw -- it looks like the league doesn't plan on dropping the salary cap ceiling from last year and I haven't heard anything about franchise player tags in awhile so hopefully that idea was shelved)...I might go the more cost effective route, provided they don't really see Jerome Jordan or Jorts Harrellson as a viable full-time answer. The following guys would come much cheaper -- these guys could probably add just as much production for far less money:

Marcus Cousin (provided Houston cuts him loose, which most Houston fans I've blogged with on various Rocket message boards around the net feel they will...VERY SKILLED. I love this guy's game and would love to add him at a good price. He'd be tremendous value all the way).

Dwayne Jones (MONSTER REBOUNDER wherever he's played since his college days at St. Joseph's -- he'd be an excellent dirty-work guy to put next to Amar'e...I mean why pay $6M a year over 3 years or more for Ty Chandler when this guy could offer the same type of intangibles for far less money?).

Kyrylo Fesenko (huge and fairly nimble 5 with some post skill, a little touch and a no-nonsense attitude. He may cost a little more than Cousin or Jones having actually played in the NBA the last couple of years, but not by much. He'd definitely cost less than the guys on the 1st list).

So what do we do? Do we throw the full MLE at Ty Chandler and forget all about adding CP3 this summer or by the deadline?? Would Chandler along with a couple of other minor signings put us on the level with the Heat, the Celtics, the Lakers or the Mavericks?? Who knows, maybe -- look at that Maverick team -- they weren't chock full of stars -- they also don't play in the East where they have to get past the Heat & Celtics to get to the show..Yet they beat the Heat in the show, so I guess they were good enough.. Dallas certainly does make you re-think the whole "match the Heat's 3-star attack" thing..I don't know how to feel about it...All I know is we're real close now and I'd hate to revert back to old ways by throwing all available money at the wrong player(s). Adding a Marcus Cousin or a Dwayne Jones almost ensures we'd add talent in the middle to cover our weaknesses at a great price while keeping cap room open for that big fish eventually. I think this might be the way to go. For now..

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Go Figure

Once the lockout is resolved, should the Knicks consider signing Tyson Chandler to a one-year deal?

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story...ers-proposal-keep-re-signing-dallas-mavericks

Without Tyson Chandler.....

The Bulls were no longer a playoff team.
The Hornets were no longer a winning playoff team.
The Mavs will no longer be a defensive threat.

The competitiveness in the NBA will be thrown out the window with
what the owners have on the table for the players-union to agree
with in this CBA negotiation.
I can see the NBA future of fans (myself) no longer being interested
in the NBA 3 years from now if the players agree to what the owners
want in this CBA negotiation.

Tyson Chandler made it widely known how happy he was in Dallas with
his new Mavs teammates, coach Carlylse, and boss Mark Cuban throughout
the 2010-11 season.

Paul1355

All Star
i think we can ddo alright with Turiaf, Harrelson, and Jordan....atleast we have depth at Center for the first time in years.

If you go for Chandler or any other good center then your shooting down the chance to make a run fo CP3, unless you trade the center in the deal.

But i know CP3 is a long shot but so was Melo until we realized he wanted to be here....remember the wedding toast.

If Harrelson can bang bodies and do dirty work, if Turiaf can stay somewhat healthy, aand if Jordan can provide another body then we can hold out one season with these centers.

nyk_nyk

All Star
i think we can ddo alright with Turiaf, Harrelson, and Jordan....atleast we have depth at Center for the first time in years.

If you go for Chandler or any other good center then your shooting down the chance to make a run fo CP3, unless you trade the center in the deal.

But i know CP3 is a long shot but so was Melo until we realized he wanted to be here....remember the wedding toast.

If Harrelson can bang bodies and do dirty work, if Turiaf can stay somewhat healthy, aand if Jordan can provide another body then we can hold out one season with these centers.

This is our most viable option. CENTER BY COMMITTEE! Jorts and Jordan and still young and Turiaf, while often injured is experienced. Individually, these guys are average at best but together they can provide rebounding, blocks and some scoring equal to an above average center. Plus that's 18 fouls between them.

I'm sure they each have slightly different games. It will be up to Damntoni to utilize these guys based on matchups and individual ability. Perhaps Jorts is the better post defender, maybe Jordan is the better shot blocker, maybe Turiaf is the better help defender. These are the things Damntoni and the coaching staff will have to figure out in order to make it work. NO MORE LETTING PLAYERS ROT ON THE BENCH WHEN THE TEAM ISN'T EVEN ELITE YET.

knicksfancris

Benchwarmer
i think our best bet is greg oden i like the way he plays when playing healthy. because there is no chance of marc or tyson coming in cheap for us now oden we come for cheap but i also like samuel dalembert i also think he will come for cheap and anyone one of those will be better than turiaf and to have him as a back up jelp us out a lot.now if we cant get none on the above i say bring vet kurt thomas back te atleast have a lil size and i will also like to give t-mac another shot cause i like how he looked in detroit playing pg/sg and he seems willing to comeing of the bench i think any of those pick ups will makes legit contenders in the east for a championship.

I don't think he'd come on a one-year deal. Some team out there is going to get him for the MLE.
Exactly what I was thinking. Its funny though, TC is exactly the type of center that we need. Just a player that can get rebounds, guard the other teams bigmen and hit the open dunk unlike Jeffries or Turiaf. Damn I'm tired of Ilgauskas and JJ Hickson looking a prime Shaq against us. :barf:

finestrg

Rotation player
You know what I was thinking just now looking over the full list of all available free agents -- what about Chuck Hayes?

I know he's only 6'6" or so but he ALWAYS seems to play much bigger than that. Even when manning the 5 spot, the lack of height never seems to be an issue for him at all defensively. And it's defensively where this guy really shines most. He's gotta be one of the best, most underrated man-to-man post defenders in the entire league. Exceptional strength (very strong mid to lower base) along with good, quick feet & hands and above average lateral quickness for a big (it's this lateral quickness that actually allows him to guard most 3s as well as 4s & 5s)...It's not even like he's that bad offensively either. He knows exactly what to do with the ball 10' and in -- he's a pretty good passer, he can put it on the floor a little and finish very well around the basket. The ugly FT shooting mechanic no longer seems to be an issue now as well. He's tightened it up to the point where it's barely noticeable and his FT% has gone up recently as a result. I think he's a better offensive player than Turiaf to be honest..Much better..Good rebounder too -- up over 8 a game last year in under 30 mins..This guy could come in and supply much-needed intangibles on the interior (post defense, toughness, rebounding) and you figure he'd come cheaper than Ty Chandler, Nene or Dalembert...I betcha if you asked Amar'e for his seal of approval on acquiring Hayes, he'd give it without any hesitation whatsoever (Hayes played STAT about as good as anyone possibly could at the Garden last year at some point prior to the Melo trade. Stoudemire had 25 pts on a respectable 10-19 from the floor but Hayes made him work for everything he got that night and actually shut him down late in the game---see the video below). And supposedly Hayes always does a great job on Kevin Garnett too, everytime he's matched up against him..That's a plus to consider..Can you imagine Hayes' strong post defense with Amar'e and his shot-blocking coming weakside? That could be a LETHAL combination on the defensive end..Just some food for thought..Gun to my head, I say Houston resigns him, they'd be nuts not to..But you never know -- he is an unrestricted FA. If the Knicks are looking for post defense and intangibles out a veteran FA big at good money, this guy should be on their short list. We all know D'Antoni & the coaching staff have this wacky love affair with Jared Jeffries for this type of role. Thing is Jeffries sucks balls. This guy's 10X the player Jared Jeffries is..Not even close..If it comes down to it, they should offer a contract to this guy instead of Jeffries..No brainer.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
I don't think he'd come on a one-year deal. Some team out there is going to get him for the MLE.

:agreed:
Thats not good....Tyson Chandler is a 30 minute starter for the next
four seasons. He deserve a 4 year contract at $32M....he was 50%
of the team-defense for the championship Mavs.

When we sign "rookie-centers" Jorts & Jordan as backups....GM Grunwald
will have to find us a starting veteran Center with the MLE.
Nene is worth the MLE.

You know what I was thinking just now looking over the full list of all available free agents -- what about Chuck Hayes?

I know he's only 6'6" or so but he ALWAYS seems to play much bigger than that. Even when manning the 5 spot, the lack of height never seems to be an issue for him at all defensively. And it's defensively where this guy really shines most. He's gotta be one of the best, most underrated man-to-man post defenders in the entire league. Exceptional strength (very strong mid to lower base) along with good, quick feet & hands and above average lateral quickness for a big (it's this lateral quickness that actually allows him to guard most 3s as well as 4s & 5s)...It's not even like he's that bad offensively either. He knows exactly what to do with the ball 10' and in -- he's a pretty good passer, he can put it on the floor a little and finish very well around the basket. The ugly FT shooting mechanic no longer seems to be an issue now as well. He's tightened it up to the point where it's barely noticeable and his FT% has gone up recently as a result. I think he's a better offensive player than Turiaf to be honest..Much better..Good rebounder too -- up over 8 a game last year in under 30 mins..This guy could come in and supply much-needed intangibles on the interior (post defense, toughness, rebounding) and you figure he'd come cheaper than Ty Chandler, Nene or Dalembert...I betcha if you asked Amar'e for his seal of approval on acquiring Hayes, he'd give it without any hesitation whatsoever (Hayes played STAT about as good as anyone possibly could at the Garden last year at some point prior to the Melo trade. Stoudemire had 25 pts on a respectable 10-19 from the floor but Hayes made him work for everything he got that night and actually shut him down late in the game---see the video below). And supposedly Hayes always does a great job on Kevin Garnett too, everytime he's matched up against him..That's a plus to consider..Can you imagine Hayes' strong post defense with Amar'e and his shot-blocking coming weakside? That could be a LETHAL combination on the defensive end..Just some food for thought..Gun to my head, I say Houston resigns him, they'd be nuts not to..But you never know -- he is an unrestricted FA. If the Knicks are looking for post defense and intangibles out a veteran FA big at good money, this guy should be on their short list. We all know D'Antoni & the coaching staff have this wacky love affair with Jared Jeffries for this type of role. Thing is Jeffries sucks balls. This guy's 10X the player Jared Jeffries is..Not even close..If it comes down to it, they should offer a contract to this guy instead of Jeffries..No brainer.

Lol I remember making a thread about this. :teeth:

nyk_nyk

All Star

Nah, I like my centers 6-10 and taller. Plus Pao, D12, Bynum and the rest of the above average big men would kill him in the playoffs.

Toons

is the Bo$$

we would be going nowhere with those guys alone...good thing we got tyson. BUMP

Kiyaman

Legend
u have to luv what Tyson Chandler has added to this Knicks team....
:thumbsup:Tyson Chandler & :thumbsup:Jeremy Lin = D.Howard & Nelson
:beer:
It is easy to understand why Chicago, New Orleans, and Charllotte all
went down hill after trading Tyson Chandler.