Knicks Top 3 Free Agent Targets

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Wilson Chandler is an absolutely possible acquisition, as many times said over the last few months, despite a binding contract no CBA team will hold up its NBA players in case they don't to play there any longer.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
I don't know whether JJ still has a contract for the upcoming season or becomes a FA but we definately shouldn't keep him, this guy is a farce. I started playing NBA 2K12 this week and it reminded me how poor center he is...

I don't know whether JJ still has a contract for the upcoming season or becomes a FA but we definately shouldn't keep him, this guy is a farce. I started playing NBA 2K12 this week and it reminded me how poor center he is...
He's an FA, we signed him just for the rest of the season after Houston waived him. I agree we shouldn't keep him, whenever he's on the floor it just turns into a 4 on 5. Not too mention we'll be getting Jerome Jordan back from overseas. I also wouldn't mind signing Joe Alexander on a 1yr.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
@AFP: we have enough guys to cover #5, who could share some minutes with each other, but still we need some experience/talent at center... so what about younger Gas?
He is 7'1 and averaged 11 rebounds, 2 blocks and 15 points in the playoffs. He had a contract of $10M within three years with the Grizzlies and is an RFA. I don't know if we could create enough salary room for him, but this guy seems to be a strong (possible) addition to our roster.

Paul1355

All Star
Wilson Chandler is an absolutely possible acquisition, as many times said over the last few months, despite a binding contract no CBA team will hold up its NBA players in case they don't to play there any longer.
If i'm not mistaken, doesn't chandler's contract overseas restrict him from opting out this year to play in the NBA?

Most players had an opt out in case the season started, but I think Chandler's is for the whole year.

finestrg

Rotation player
He's an FA, we signed him just for the rest of the season after Houston waived him. I agree we shouldn't keep him, whenever he's on the floor it just turns into a 4 on 5. Not too mention we'll be getting Jerome Jordan back from overseas. I also wouldn't mind signing Joe Alexander on a 1yr.

Excellent call on Joe Alexander bro. I saw him quite a few times in the DL last year..He was a DL all-star and played 20/10 ball basically the whole season for the Texas Legends. I know the Knicks had him in for that 2 day mini camp right before the lockout so you know there's intrest there..He's since gone over to Russia but just like some of the players I'm about to mention, you figure it wouldn't be too hard to buy-out his contract and get him in orange & blue this year on a 1-yr deal.

Man, I'm so glad to be talking Knicks again with you guys and not BRI, system issues and the like...LOL..For what it's worth, here are a few different guys I've been thinking about for us to help round out the roster for this upcoming season. Potential rotation players with talent that we should be able to get at a good cost while keeping max cap room available next off-season for guys like CP3, D-Will, etc.:

CENTER
• Marcus Cousin - I just PRAY Houston waives Cousin and we show interest. Many Rocket fans across the net think they will indeed waive this guy (they signed him last yr to a very modest 3-yr unguaranteed deal). I've talked about him ad nauseum back from when I saw him playing at a high level in the DL for the Austin Toros last yr. I believe what I see and stand by this guy's talent. Very skilled. EXCELLENT mid-range jumper, runs the floor well, plays well in the post, good rebounder, big enough at almost 7' in shoes 250+ lbs, could be an effective shot-blocker if committed. Very good combination of power and finesse. Too skilled a big man not to be playing in the NBA.
• Dwayne Jones - Excellent rebounder wherever's he's been (went for 16 a game a couple of yrs ago in the DL). He'd be a very good role player/dirty-work guy next to Amar'e. Could probably give us almost everything a Ty Chandler could only for far less money.
• Kyrylo Fesenko - As someone pointed out recently, Utah's frontcourt looks awfully crowded all of a sudden..They may not elect to bring this guy back. Fesenko could be a very effective 7-footer sandwiched in between Amar'e & Melo. I'm not interested in getting into a bidding war with Utah by any means but I'd monitor the situation. If it looks like they're not interested in bringing him back, I'd quitely make an offer.
• Chris Kaman - if he's amnestied by the Clippers and we can add him on for resonable money, I'm down. He's gotta be healthy and ready to go though. When he's right, he goes hard all the time and gets results.

PF
• Jeff Adrien - currently playing in Italy but like I said, we should be able to buy-out that contract and get him on board with no problem (how much could a pro-rated buyout possibly be at this point in Benetton Treviso's season anyway? Pennies for Dolan, that's for sure, if we even have to go that route..Who knows if they're even still playing games -- their season could be over right now for all I know). He'd provide much needed toughness and rebounding. He was a very decent power player for UConn and he's since gotten better.
• Sean Williams - looked much improved in the DL last year, playing ball at an all-star level. I think he's ready for the NBA again. Game looks much improved and he looked and sounded much more mature since his days at BC and with the Nets. Could be a solid rebounder/rim protector for us at the 4/5.
• DeShawn Sims - another guy currently in Europe; another guy we should be able to lure over here w/o much of a problem. Former Michigan hybrid 3/4 would be a very nice backup for either STAT or Melo. He's got skills to play either position -- he can score it equally well in the post & from mid-range and also step out an knock down 3s. Plus he can rebound a little bit. DL all-star last yr and the DL's ROY. Dude's got a lot of talent.
• Joe Alexander - Ditto Sims -- even better athlete and rebounder, only minus Sims' 3-pt range. Honestly I'd be happy if we added either guy, Sims or Alexander. 2 talented players we'd be able to add & plug in at either forward spot.
• Chuck Hayes - I know he's only 6'6" but he plays so much bigger than that. Plays 4 and 5 (actually he's played A LOT of 5 for the Rockets--I probably should've listed him under 'center'), even at 6'6"!! Tremendous dirty-work guy that routinely plays huge against some of the league's top bigs (Amar'e & Garnett among others). He intrigues me as a potential 'Garnett stopper' for us possibly. We may not have the cap room to offer this cat what he wants though (and deserves).

SF
• Jamelle Horne - I'd welcome Shawne Williams back with open arms but just in case Williams & his agent hold out for too much money off the good yr, I'd be prepared to go in a different direction if I were the Knicks. This guy Horne was severely mishandled at Arizona imo. I think he's capable of so much more production if given more PT and responsibilty. Fine athlete, good slasher, hits the offense glass and he's a knock-down 3-pt shooter. Could even play some 2 in the NBA with no prob. Definitely skilled and big enough for either wing spot at somewhere around 6'7", 210-220. Another guy currently in Europe somewhere that's only a phone call away. I know the Lakers showed a little interest before the lockout. Definitely a D'Antoni player.

SG
• Matt Bouldin - not sure if there's much of a need at this position now with Fields followed but Billy Walker, Rautins, TD, Shump, etc..but if they still think they need help here, this guy wouldn't be a bad option. 6'5", tough/strong, good shooter, very good court vision/passer. Another D'Antoni-type player. I've alway gotten the feeling MDA doesn't watch a lot of college ball --- he should, there's so many players out there that he'd like that would thrive in his system. D'Antoni needs to do more homework with the college game, the NBDL, Europe...You never hear him talk about these leagues.
• Othyus Jeffers - DL all-star call-up last yr for the Jazz and then the Wizards. Played very well for both teams, esp. the Wizards. Suffered a knee injury this off-season that has put his future with Washington in jeopordy. If Wash. gets scared and decides to cut him loose, I'm interested provided he's healthy enough. When he's right he's a very physical, hard-nosed 2-way wing. I LOVE this dude's game -- I'll be rooting for him to get back healthy.

PG
• Ben Hanbrough - Big East POY last year, an honor that speaks volumes yet he somehow goes undrafted. Compares very favorable to Jimmer Fredette in my book..I think he's just as good if not a better talent to be honest. Definitely more of a PG than Jimmer...D'Antoni would love this kid. Not saying he's the next Nash, but he's got a lot of Steve Nash in his game.
• Curtis Stinson - just signed on in Europe somewhere within the last week or two but you figure we could easily bring him back to the States if we showed interest and offered him a contract. DL MVP and DL champion last year -- he has nothing left to prove and finally deserves a shot in the NBA somewhere. Nothing flashy but he gets the job done. Decent size at about 6'3" or so, pretty good mid-range shooter, can take it to the rim, strong, plays physical, plays D and he's a true floor leader (very good passer, high assist totals wherever he's been). Reminds me of Anthony Carter, only younger, better.
• Patrick Mills - I think he's a RFA and I don't really care to get into a bidding war with Portland for his services. But if Portland shies away (their backcourt looks crowded) and the price is right, I'm interested. This guy's a talented little PG, something similar to Darren Collison (not quite as quick or good defensively but probably a little better than Collison on the offensive end actually).
• Curtis Jerrells - 6'1" 200 lb. lefty PG currently playing in Turkey after having a standout career at Baylor University, then in the NBDL (Austin Toros) and most recently for the Serbian team BC Partizan Begrade. Had a ton of team success last year for Partizan, winning the Serbian National Championship, the Serbian National Cup, as well the Adriatic NLB league title...Dude's still young and he's got very good tools and ability. I think he compares favorably to Brandon Jennings. Too talented not to be playing in the NBA for somebody right now. He'd flat out upgrade the PG spot for us behind Chauncey if we added him (esp. if the plan is to play Shumpert primarily off the ball at the 2).

----------------------------------------------------------

I truly believe if we trim some of the fat off this roster (Jeffries should not be asked back; neither should Derrick Brown--I just don't think he's talented enough; amnesty Ro Balkman; cut Rautins provided we can come up with better talent and if they already know he won't be given a real shot; maybe even look to unload Turiaf somehow) and replace them with some of these low-cost/potentially higher-impact options, we'd have a chance to really do something special this year. I honestly believe that..The foundation is set with STAT & Melo. Now it's time to fill in around it with talent that makes sense. I just wanna see them get creative with their upgrades...Very curious to see what they come up with...It's all gonna happen very quickly now, with ball expected to start on Christmas day..That's less than a month away. We might be able to steal a good player or two here during the brief free agency.

Last edited:

portega1968

El Cacique
If I have read correctly, teams are no longer barred from doing sign and trades if they are over the cap, which to me means let's sign Tyson Chandler and Jason Richardson this year with Chris Paul next year.

@AFP: we have enough guys to cover #5, who could share some minutes with each other, but still we need some experience/talent at center... so what about younger Gas?
He is 7'1 and averaged 11 rebounds, 2 blocks and 15 points in the playoffs. He had a contract of $10M within three years with the Grizzlies and is an RFA. I don't know if we could create enough salary room for him, but this guy seems to be a strong (possible) addition to our roster.

Yeah we definitely need a solid center. Jordan and Jorts have yet to even play an NBA game. And Turiaf can be solid(if healthy) but his inability to rebound just kills us. That's what we mostly need, a C that can rebound and that is tall/strong enough to guard 7footers, I'm tired of players like Illgauskus looking like allstars against us. Marc Gasol would definitely fit that category but I think it's impossible to get him for these three reasons.

1) We don't want to give up our chance of signing Cp3 or Dwight in 2012.
2) His value increased tremendously during the playoffs.
3) He's a restricted FA and Memphis will not let him go that easy.

pat

Starter
1) We don't want to give up our chance of signing Cp3 or Dwight in 2012.

As of now we don't know anything about the agreement between the players and the league, but I assume that a new CBA will make signing either Howard or Paul impossible. Preventing another big three or an accumulation of talent such as in Dallas impossible. It's just a hunch but actually the new CBA might even make signing Gasol unlikely.

Wargames

Starter
As of now we don't know anything about the agreement between the players and the league, but I assume that a new CBA will make signing either Howard or Paul impossible. Preventing another big three or an accumulation of talent such as in Dallas impossible. It's just a hunch but actually the new CBA might even make signing Gasol unlikely.

you might be right

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
SUMMARY OF PRINCIPAL DEAL TERMS

2. Salary Cap/Tax System

- System includes a Soft Salary Cap as under the 2005 CBA

11. Free Agency

- Sign-and-Trades: Except during the 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons, teams are prohibited from acquiring a free agent in a sign-and-trade if their team salary post-transaction would exceed the tax level by more than $4 million. The maximum contract length for a sign-and-trade is 4 years, and maximum annual increases are 4.5%

Which for me means acquiring Paul will be possible under the new CBA, but three max contracts of Amare, Carmelo and Paul would reach a value of approximately $57,2M, which gives us ~$0,8M left for remaining contracts + we have guaranteed contracts of Shumpert, Harrellson and our 2012 pick + we have TD's option of $2M, so technically we could sign CP3, but practically it would lead us to some serious cap trouble...

Last edited:

Wargames

Starter
Yeah the knicks have to he careful not fully understanding the Last CBA led to the questionable moves that lockee us into so many bad contracts last CBA. The knicks may have to forego chasing paul and just get a center and some more roleplayers.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Our cap situation isn't good already, we have 8 players under contracts with total value of $59,5M + $1M from our rookies' contracts. We will probably resign Williams and maybe Carter both for somewhere around minimum (+$2,4M), so have a salary of ~$62,9M, so there isn't much room left if we want to have a full MLE...